PDA

View Full Version : Is there a chance that I can go pro?

Manus Domini
10-22-2011, 03:03 PM
I self-rate myself as a 4.5 tournament player, though I have never played a tournament. My serve probably averages about 130-135, though I have never used a radar gun. I have only played for a few years, but I crushed my self-rated 3.5 friend 6-2, who beat his self-rated 3.0 friend. Also, I am capable of an eight-minute mile (the pause to drink a bottle of water after every 400m not included) and can dash the 100m in 19.3 seconds. I am 35, 6'2", and weigh 140 lbs.

My play-style is S&V and chip&charge, and I modeled my slices and volleys off Nadal, since John McEnroe praises his volleys as the best in the modern day.

I am a righty, with a 2hbh, and I make heavy use of the topspin ground-strokes and slice backhand.

Btw, this is a satire for all those who think becoming a pro is possible if you start past teenagehood. Even then, it is nigh impossible. This isn't meant to insult anyone, just to show the futility of trying to become a pro without really having the ability and/or necessary physical requirements.

AceServer
10-22-2011, 03:04 PM
I self-rate myself as a 4.5 tournament player, though I have never played a tournament. My serve probably averages about 130-135, though I have never used a radar gun. I have only played for a few years, but I crushed my self-rated 3.5 friend 6-2, who beat his self-rated 3.0 friend. Also, I am capable of an eight-minute mile (the pause to drink a bottle of water after every 400m not included) and can dash the 100m in 19.3 seconds. I am 6'2" and weigh 140 lbs.

My play-style is S&V and chip&charge, and I modeled my slices and volleys off Nadal, since John McEnroe praises his volleys as the best in the modern day.

I am a righty, with a 2hbh, and I make heavy use of the topspin ground-strokes and slice backhand.

Is there a match video us forum members could see?

Can't think of a name
10-22-2011, 03:12 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/xlywjt.jpg

Manus Domini
10-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Is there a match video us forum members could see?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cx-CFTZRgU

I'm the tall one ;)

Ronaldo
10-22-2011, 03:27 PM

I'm the tall one ;)

Mxd singles pro?

Manus Domini
10-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Mxd singles pro?

I was just playing with a few friends, ya know? ;)

AceServer
10-22-2011, 03:56 PM
I self-rate myself as a 4.5 tournament player, though I have never played a tournament. My serve probably averages about 130-135, though I have never used a radar gun. I have only played for a few years, but I crushed my self-rated 3.5 friend 6-2, who beat his self-rated 3.0 friend. Also, I am capable of an eight-minute mile (the pause to drink a bottle of water after every 400m not included) and can dash the 100m in 19.3 seconds. I am 35, 6'2", and weigh 140 lbs.

Btw, this is a satire for all those who think becoming a pro is possible if you start past teenagehood. Even then, it is nigh impossible. This isn't meant to insult anyone, just to show the futility of trying to become a pro without really having the ability and/or necessary physical requirements.

Mxd singles pro?

Wow, blasting those forehands. I think you should make it to ATP top 200 at least. :)

Mick
10-22-2011, 04:05 PM
but the chinese proverb says
"The person who says something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.” :-)

Manus Domini
10-22-2011, 04:26 PM
"The person who says something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.” :-)

It does, but then again, how many people do you know who picked up tennis at 19 and successfully went pro in the modern game?

Larrysümmers
10-22-2011, 04:41 PM
anybody can be a pro. all you have to do is pay the yearly fee.

dozu
10-22-2011, 04:42 PM

there is no such chinese proverb

Mick
10-22-2011, 05:45 PM
google search says that is a chinese proverb

http://i55.tinypic.com/29ncgid.jpg

Mick
10-22-2011, 05:47 PM
It does, but then again, how many people do you know who picked up tennis at 19 and successfully went pro in the modern game?

yeah in old days fred perry managed to do it at 18 but professional tennis is not the same nowadays

Manus Domini
10-22-2011, 05:55 PM
google search says that is a chinese proverb

http://i55.tinypic.com/29ncgid.jpg

Dozu: a 2.5 the game of Google :D

Manus Domini
10-22-2011, 05:55 PM
yeah in old days fred perry managed to do it at 18 but professional tennis is not the same nowadays

Yeah, I know

/Sigh

I wish we had those days now.

Geology_Rocks!
10-22-2011, 06:44 PM
I watched your video.

Nice court coverage but IMO you fist pump way too much.

dozu
10-22-2011, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=Mick;6077312]google search says that is a chinese proverb

[IMG]

blind leading the blind

USERNAME
10-22-2011, 06:45 PM

I'm the tall one ;)

Beast right there... Id never wanna see you in my quarter.

Mick
10-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I know

/Sigh

I wish we had those days now.

some years ago, i watched a documentary about roger federer on espn and early on, his parents weren't sure if he could make it as a tennis pro. they gave him a timeline in which he had to reach top the 50 or quit the sport. at the time federer thought that was very difficult but he managed to do it and he went on to become the player that he is today.

Chyeaah
10-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Run a mile in 8 minutes is pretty poor and 100 metres in 19 seconds is really bad. Then again your 35. im only 1.65 and i can run 100 in 15-16 seconds. Oh and at 1:40 in the film your forehand cross court swing somehow hits the ball down the line. Rigged game =D

Spin Doctor
10-22-2011, 11:39 PM
I think you need to post a video of yourself hitting against a wall for us to properly assess your game. Video of you hitting against another player is not realistic.

Ronaldo
10-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Interrupting the impossible. Created a modern ancient chinese proverb.

y11971alex
11-03-2011, 03:00 PM
I suppose your question is actually "is there a chance that I can be a successful pro?"

Going pro is easy enough. You just need to have someone pay you for playing. That person could be your father, friend, or someone else, regardless. In fact, the definition of professional in tennis is something like "player who plays for monetary return." On the other hand, if you decline payment and prize-money and are not under contract, you are called an amateur.

Professionals play under a completely different environment from amateurs. In other words, there is money involved. And with money, there are compromises to be made, if you become a great professional. In 1957, professional P. Gonzales was instructed by his employer, Kramer, to "carry" newly-signed pro Rosewall. This is not to say that you'll be instructed to play beneath your normal standard so that your opponent has a chance to win, but that situation may arise, and you must comply as a professional. There is no such necessity as an amateur, and you can beat the same person as badly and as often as it may be.

Besides being a great player and a great entertainer (this is necessary in professional events and exhibitions) at the same time, you'll also need to understand the inner workings and politics of your organisation. You can make your employer lose money if you beat your opponent all the time, making further matches unexciting, and the tickets will not sell, harming both your and your employers' financial interest. It is not very different from working in a bank, and you need to obey instructions. Furthermore, as a professional, you are limited to only "open" events, and traditional tournaments will not allow you to play.

On the other hand, you will have a stable job and income. You can see and learn from other great professionals. You can endorse and be endorsed, and be paid for it. It will be a bright future if you can manage money well.

If you are ready to accept the challenge and compromises, you'll score a good chance in becoming a great professional.:)

Limpinhitter
11-03-2011, 05:36 PM
. . . I am 35, 6'2", and weigh 140 lbs. . . .

You're a prisoner in a Laotian labor camp?

ho
11-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I self-rate myself as a 4.5 tournament player
Forget it, you can't afford the $

Magic of tennis
11-03-2011, 09:44 PM

lol funny

zapvor
11-03-2011, 11:09 PM
why did dozu get banned

arche3
11-04-2011, 04:25 AM
lol funny

Trolling. He will be back.

uzod
11-04-2011, 08:36 AM
dozu is offering a $3k award to a lead that identifies the snitch.

ordinarymangoe3
11-05-2011, 05:24 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/xlywjt.jpg

hahahahahahahaha

ordinarymangoe3
11-05-2011, 05:26 AM
I suppose your question is actually "is there a chance that I can be a successful pro?"

Going pro is easy enough. You just need to have someone pay you for playing. That person could be your father, friend, or someone else, regardless. In fact, the definition of professional in tennis is something like "player who plays for monetary return." On the other hand, if you decline payment and prize-money and are not under contract, you are called an amateur.

Professionals play under a completely different environment from amateurs. In other words, there is money involved. And with money, there are compromises to be made, if you become a great professional. In 1957, professional P. Gonzales was instructed by his employer, Kramer, to "carry" newly-signed pro Rosewall. This is not to say that you'll be instructed to play beneath your normal standard so that your opponent has a chance to win, but that situation may arise, and you must comply as a professional. There is no such necessity as an amateur, and you can beat the same person as badly and as often as it may be.

Besides being a great player and a great entertainer (this is necessary in professional events and exhibitions) at the same time, you'll also need to understand the inner workings and politics of your organisation. You can make your employer lose money if you beat your opponent all the time, making further matches unexciting, and the tickets will not sell, harming both your and your employers' financial interest. It is not very different from working in a bank, and you need to obey instructions. Furthermore, as a professional, you are limited to only "open" events, and traditional tournaments will not allow you to play.

On the other hand, you will have a stable job and income. You can see and learn from other great professionals. You can endorse and be endorsed, and be paid for it. It will be a bright future if you can manage money well.

If you are ready to accept the challenge and compromises, you'll score a good chance in becoming a great professional.:)
50% percent of this is nonsense

Ronaldo
11-05-2011, 05:11 PM
50% percent of this is nonsense

And the other side of the coin?