PDA

View Full Version : MASSIVE Earthquake HITS Turkey, can this Affect WTA finals ?

Fedace
10-23-2011, 08:30 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/23/world/europe/turkey-earthquake/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

This could spell disaster for WTA year ending final. maybe WTA can do a earthquake relief charity fund raiser. but not sure if turkey can afford the prize money now?

Dgpsx7
10-23-2011, 08:44 AM
I just went to Turkey a few months ago. The part of the country the earthquake hit is very far away from most of the major cities. Istanbul is on the complete opposite side of the country and even a ways a way from the mildly populated cities so although this is sad for the people in southeast turkey it will realistically not affect the WTA finals.

Dave M
10-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Fedace, you read that article I presume and must of seen this quote:
"Today's earthquake in eastern Turkey has caused immense destruction, resulting in terrible loss of life." then use the word disaster relating to some tennis not being played there? If it goes ahead hopefully it'll bring some needed boost to the economy but if it didn't i don't think it's very high on their list of priorities.

Fedace
10-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Fedace, you read that article I presume and must of seen this quote:
"Today's earthquake in eastern Turkey has caused immense destruction, resulting in terrible loss of life." then use the word disaster relating to some tennis not being played there? If it goes ahead hopefully it'll bring some needed boost to the economy but if it didn't i don't think it's very high on their list of priorities.

They should just move it to London and play it in O2 arena.

Fedace
10-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Also there is problem with Afterschocks. This could spread to Istanbul if not careful

Magic of tennis
10-24-2011, 12:55 PM
It is worrisome. My relative lives in Istanbul. I hope she is ok

r2473
10-24-2011, 01:05 PM
No Serena jokes?

Am I on the right website?

Bhagi Katbamna
10-24-2011, 01:07 PM
When this sort of thing happens, tennis is the last thing that they need to worry about. Hope everyone is OK.

Magic of tennis
10-24-2011, 05:12 PM
When this sort of thing happens, tennis is the last thing that they need to worry about. Hope everyone is OK.

that is very true