PDA

View Full Version : Videos of me hitting around and some serves

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-25-2011, 09:10 AM
In case you are wondering, I recently switched from my beloved PC600 to the BLX90. Which is why you see me with two different racquets. A very difficult switch because I've been with a Prestige for the last 10years or so. Similar specs, but I notice a big difference between swinging a Prestige and swinging a Pro Staff. Still getting used to it.

Light hitting...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/saychisinlo/Tennis/th_Nightrallying.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/saychisinlo/Tennis/?action=view&current=Nightrallying.mp4)

Practicing some serves...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/saychisinlo/Tennis/th_Servepractice.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/saychisinlo/Tennis/?action=view&current=Servepractice.mp4)

By the way, last time I posted a serving video, some people had a problem with me not going 100% while practicing serves. :confused: I have had 2 shoulder surgeries already. I'm not going to burn myself out just practicing. Even if I never had surgeries on the shoulder, if you know anything about the anatomy/structure of the shoulder, you would know how bad serving/pitching is on the joint. Which is why when I'm practicing serves and playing sets with friends, I don't serve excessively hard. I much rather work on my form, timing, spin, and placement.

If you still have a problem with me not going all-out while practicing serves, I have three suggestions for you:
1) Don't watch my serve video.
2) Take the stick out of your *****.
3) If you still have problem with me about the serves after #2, then use that stick and go F yourself.

To the rest of you fine folks, enjoy! :)

WildVolley
10-25-2011, 10:48 AM
I have a problem with your serve. Do you want to fight?:twisted:

The only helpful advice I can give you is to have a bit more of a unit turn on your forehand - your shoulders are pretty much parallel with the net throughout most of the stroke. I think that with a little more shoulder turn and torso rotation you could develop more of a Federer-like forehand.

tennismonkey
10-25-2011, 10:54 AM
looking at your groundies video - i like your smooth fluid strokes on both the forehand and backhand. forehand is jarring in that it looks like you're late but sure enough the ball flies off your racquet and with spin/pace.

seemed like forehands that pulled you wide you either didn't get there in time or you aren't comfortable with. looked like you didn't bother rushing over there to cover it or you have problems stretched wide.

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-25-2011, 11:02 AM
looking at your groundies video - i like your smooth fluid strokes on both the forehand and backhand. forehand is jarring in that it looks like you're late but sure enough the ball flies off your racquet and with spin/pace.

seemed like forehands that pulled you wide you either didn't get there in time or you aren't comfortable with. looked like you didn't bother rushing over there to cover it or you have problems stretched wide.

I do have a problem with forehands out wide. My forehand is my more dominant side, but it's also the side that breaks down more (maybe because it's more complicated?). It's all in my head, I keep thinking I'm going to hit out... On a full-stretch, I'm fine with it. But on the little dinky out wide shots, I tend to over-think.

I shall work on it.

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-25-2011, 11:02 AM
I have a problem with your serve. Do you want to fight?:twisted:

The only helpful advice I can give you is to have a bit more of a unit turn on your forehand - your shoulders are pretty much parallel with the net throughout most of the stroke. I think that with a little more shoulder turn and torso rotation you could develop more of a Federer-like forehand.

Thanks, will work on it.

Up&comer
10-25-2011, 11:19 AM
You don't move explosively to the ball. You might have just been practicing, but it's something I always think you should try to do.

Other than that, you look like you might want to catch your forehand a little further out in front.

Good luck.

Limpinhitter
10-25-2011, 11:22 AM
In case you are wondering, I recently switched from my beloved PC600 to the BLX90. Which is why you see me with two different racquets. A very difficult switch because I've been with a Prestige for the last 10years or so. Similar specs, but I notice a big difference between swinging a Prestige and swinging a Pro Staff. Still getting used to it.

Light hitting...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/saychisinlo/Tennis/th_Nightrallying.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/saychisinlo/Tennis/?action=view&current=Nightrallying.mp4)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/saychisinlo/Tennis/th_Servepractice.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/saychisinlo/Tennis/?action=view&current=Servepractice.mp4)

By the way, last time I posted a serving video, some people had a problem with me not going 100% while practicing serves. :confused: I have had 2 shoulder surgeries already. I'm not going to burn myself out just practicing. Even if I never had surgeries on the shoulder, if you know anything about the anatomy/structure of the shoulder, you would know how bad serving/pitching is on the joint. Which is why when I'm practicing serves and playing sets with friends, I don't serve excessively hard. I much rather work on my form, timing, spin, and placement.

If you still have a problem with me not going all-out while practicing serves, I have three suggestions for you:
3) If you still have problem with me about the serves after #2, then use that stick and go F yourself.

It seems that instructions #2 and #3 are conflicting. I suggest you make up your mind and pick one.

dozu
10-25-2011, 12:19 PM
for 30 degrees of shoulder turn, the FH is as good as it gets... pros have 180 degrees.

Povl Carstensen
10-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Sorry but the links are just a still picture on my computer?

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Sorry but the links are just a still picture on my computer?

Click on them and they become moving pictures.

10-25-2011, 12:43 PM
much of the serve is looking pretty good, but you hit after the apex of your extension. I call it collapsing into the serve when see this, as you have reached the apex then hit the ball as you collapse down off the top.

IMO you should make contact right before or at the apex of the serve.

pushing_wins
10-25-2011, 01:04 PM

Light hitting...

do you have a tendency to choke?

rdis10093
10-25-2011, 01:08 PM
nice looking backhand

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-25-2011, 01:12 PM
do you have a tendency to choke?

I think I do. Sometimes I wish I can play without a conscious and just bash balls to no end.

BaboFan
10-25-2011, 01:32 PM
About choking, it could be because you don't drop your racket enough and you don't take it back early enough BC it looks like you're hitting desperately.
Nice backhand. But try using your body over your arm.

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-25-2011, 01:49 PM
About choking, it could be because you don't drop your racket enough and you don't take it back early enough BC it looks like you're hitting desperately.
Nice backhand. But try using your body over your arm.

That's very true of my forehand. I've been in a forehand slump lately. For some reason, I've been hitting with an open stance in the last few weeks. I'm being VERY lazy with my forehand (maybe because I think I can get away with it). Maybe it's the lack of concentration. But I must remind myself to get the racquet back early, point my left shoulder towards the net, and go back to the close stance. Basically do what I do on my backhand.

Open stance has its merits, but I like close stance more.

MarinaHighTennis
10-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Tell yourself "happy feet" and "shoulder to shoulder"

vincent_tennis
10-25-2011, 02:51 PM
chee seeeennnnnnnnnn

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-25-2011, 02:56 PM

Oh, I LIKE him!

Spin Doctor
10-25-2011, 08:43 PM
1. I like your backhand.

2. You have VERY late preparation on your forehand (not so much on the backhand) probably due in part to the fact that you are holding the racket slightly to the left of your body in the "ready" position. You should probably hold the racket in a more central position when you are waiting. Right when the ball is off your opponent's racket you should split step and bam! your racket should be behind your ears. Right now your racket is only back on the first bounce! Way way too late.

3. You look like you are only using your arms. Try to get your body moving INTO the shot to generate power. Some of the shots you almost look like you are leaning back. You look pretty athetic so I think when you get your body involved you will be generating quite a bit more power.

4. Didn't watch your serve video so no comment.

5. Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm a weekend hack like almost everyone else around here.

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-25-2011, 09:10 PM
3. You look like you are only using your arms. Try to get your body moving INTO the shot to generate power. Some of the shots you almost look like you are leaning back. You look pretty athetic so I think when you get your body involved you will be generating quite a bit more power.

You are correct. With the recent magical switch to a more open stance, I feel like I'm leaning back as well on my forehand. I will post another video some time later when I go back to my close stance forehand.

I seriously do not know why I switched over to a more open stance lately. I'll consciously remind myself "close stance close stance! left shoulder to the court! left shoulder to the court!"

MarinaHighTennis
10-25-2011, 10:04 PM
You are correct. With the recent magical switch to a more open stance, I feel like I'm leaning back as well on my forehand. I will post another video some time later when I go back to my close stance forehand.

I seriously do not know why I switched over to a more open stance lately. I'll consciously remind myself "close stance close stance! left shoulder to the court! left shoulder to the court!"

Theres nothing wrong with an open stance. In fact, its very effective if you know how to use your core body and rotation. Try lifting off the back foot and leverage/rotate your left foot back. You can see federer doing this a lot.

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Theres nothing wrong with an open stance. In fact, its very effective if you know how to use your core body and rotation. Try lifting off the back foot and leverage/rotate your left foot back. You can see federer doing this a lot.

Definitely, I need to stop putting my body weight on my back foot. My backhand is very simple: Body turn, racquet back, lean into my right knee, swing and lift at the same time, follow thru.

I need to go back to that with my forehand. I hate how my forehand is my dominant side, but it's also one to breakdown easily.

vincent_tennis
10-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Definitely, I need to stop putting my body weight on my back foot. My backhand is very simple: Body turn, racquet back, lean into my right knee, swing and lift at the same time, follow thru.

I need to go back to that with my forehand. I hate how my forehand is my dominant side, but it's also one to breakdown easily.

both strokes seem a tad "armed"

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-25-2011, 11:44 PM
I can assure you that I'm not arming my strokes. And most of the power is coming from my legs and core.

Povl Carstensen
10-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Click on them and they become moving pictures.
Sorry, but they just change size. Perhaps I am lacking a program in my computer...

Marcus2137
10-26-2011, 03:33 AM
Man I love that loose wrist. I've been working on that some lately and you've got that down well.

It's hard to say too much about your stroke because it's obvious that you are hitting very casually, but I think the basics look good. Keep it up and I hope your shoulder lets you play for a long time.

Bobby Jr
10-26-2011, 05:31 AM
That's very true of my forehand. I've been in a forehand slump lately. For some reason, I've been hitting with an open stance in the last few weeks. I'm being VERY lazy with my forehand (maybe because I think I can get away with it). Maybe it's the lack of concentration.
Cannot overstate how lazy your movement and preparation is on your forehand in particular but also overall. And this is on shots which are basically being hit right at you. That is likely a major contributor to issues you have.

Bobby Jr
10-26-2011, 05:39 AM
I can assure you that I'm not arming my strokes. And most of the power is coming from my legs and core.
You're not seeing the same video I am. Your forehand almost couldn't be a better example of an armed stroke. There is basically no core involvement at all.

Not to be a nay-sayer because you can obviously hit the ball quite nicely regardless, but a key to improving with video use is learning some objectivity > seeing what is in front of you, not what you think you are doing.

Rusty669
10-26-2011, 05:59 AM
You're not seeing the same video I am. Your forehand almost couldn't be a better example of an armed stroke. There is basically no core involvement at all.

Not to be a nay-sayer because you can obviously hit the ball quite nicely regardless, but a key to improving with video use is learning some objectivity > seeing what is in front of you, not what you think you are doing.

I'd have to agree with this mostly.
Your movement on court in this video is-to be frank- very poor.
Yet your shots look sweet and pure, so it would be really interesting to see what you could come up with if you moved your feet or at least get into a more stable body position before hitting.
If you look at Fed in practice, his footwork(in a lot of cases) only does the least amount needed-and is also pretty poor- but he gets away with it because his whole body prepares for the shot more.

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Got it. Maybe it's pointless to post that video up. When I have some time, I'll take another video of me hitting more seriously.

WildVolley
10-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Got it. Maybe it's pointless to post that video up. When I have some time, I'll take another video of me hitting more seriously.

Don't stress over it. You can learn from videos in which you aren't hitting at 100%. No one hits at 100% all the time. I've seen Nadal practice like an animal, but I've also seen Federer practice like at 50%. I think you've been given some good advice and your form looks decent. Just keep practicing and you'll keep improving.

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Don't stress over it. You can learn from videos in which you aren't hitting at 100%. No one hits at 100% all the time. I've seen Nadal practice like an animal, but I've also seen Federer practice like at 50%. I think you've been given some good advice and your form looks decent. Just keep practicing and you'll keep improving.

But not hitting at 100% is frowned upon here... :-?

However, thanks! :)

Bobby Jr
10-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Whether you're hitting seriously or not the fundamentals of your strokes will be the same. You arm the ball completely on your forehand and prepare late as others have said above. Basic practice is exactly the time those things should be addressed - especially stuff like preparation/movement.

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Whether you're hitting seriously or not the fundamentals of your strokes will be the same. You arm the ball completely on your forehand and prepare late as others have said above. Basic practice is exactly the time those things should be addressed - especially stuff like preparation/movement.

Late prep, yes. Arming the ball, no.

fRa
10-26-2011, 03:11 PM
I thought both strokes had late preparation, the forehand being the "worst" of the two...

I think that this directly influences the motion of the strokes themselves as you do seem to be arming the ball.

Since your preparation is off, you rush through the swing by arming the racket. This explains why your backhand seems more consistent than your forehand because its preparation is slightly better.

Try practicing being early on your swing, it will help a bundle.

EDIT : Oh and also, you have 0 shoulder turn on your forehand.
This is another explanation as to why you are more prone to arming the ball. The only time you aren't really arming the ball is when you're on the run and actually rotating your shoulders.

Bobby Jr
10-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Late prep, yes. Arming the ball, no.
People's strokes don't change fundamentally between stuffing around to serious practice, the finer details do - like preparation, effort etc. If you arm the ball in loose hitting then you will almost certainly also do it in serious practice/play. Maybe to a lesser extent, but it's unlikely that your forehand will suddenly become an example of great biomechanics.

If you don't think you arm the ball - which you say above - then it's going to be hard for you to improve your strokes using video. It requires a level of objectivity when watching footage of yourself play to really work out the areas which need addressing and then actioning them.

Being able to take on board others' observations (assuming their qualified) will improve your tennis - it's not an attack on your ego to say you arm the ball, you just do. That knowledge alone is potentially worth tons.

To forge ahead maybe you could post some footage of you making a concerted effort to hit your groundstrokes well and we'll revisit this.

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-26-2011, 05:41 PM
I'll post some match playing videos when I have them. So you can see the difference when I'm just messing around and play like something is on the line.

How is it possible that you can conclude I arm my shots when I'm the one hitting the ball, and the observer has no real way to measure how much stress my arm is under? I can't improve on something I'm not doing.

Trust me, I've had 2 shoulder surgeries. If I'm arming anything, I'll be the first to know. I used to arm my serves until I sat down, thought about my motion, and how I can use less arm while maintaining and improving my serve. If I say I'm not arming my strokes, I'm not arming my strokes.

I think I have flexible shoulders, elbows, and wrists, so it may appear as if I'm flinging my arm about. Like I said, if I'm arming it, I'll feel.

I will always accept advice. But I can't improve on what I'm not doing.

bad_call
10-26-2011, 05:51 PM
But not hitting at 100% is frowned upon here... :-?

However, thanks! :)

you're hitting fine. when you're up against better competition you'll probably figure it out.

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-26-2011, 05:59 PM
you're hitting fine. when you're up against better competition you'll probably figure it out.

Oh I definitely need more match playing. I get tense easily.

bad_call
10-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Oh I definitely need more match playing. I get tense easily.

that diminishes after getting competitive matches under your belt...just don't lay off for years like i did and expect the butterflies not to return. ;)

Bobby Jr
10-26-2011, 06:11 PM
I'll post some match playing videos when I have them. So you can see the difference when I'm just messing around and play like something is on the line.
Good plan

How is it possible that you can conclude I arm my shots when I'm the one hitting the ball, and the observer has no real way to measure how much stress my arm is under? I can't improve on something I'm not doing.
Because on almost all of your forehands the shoulder on your non-racquet arm doesn't go out of view - as it would if you rotated your torso or got even partially side-on.

It's not that we can't tell what stress your arm is or isn't under it's that your torso is static during most of your stroke - i.e. you're not using it. Therefore you are arming it. That's what arming the ball is.

See this for a bit of a comparison: http://youtu.be/DPOaOiHbyTc - on every forehand his torso basically rotates around until his shoulders in line with the side-lines.

Trust me, I've had 2 shoulder surgeries. If I'm arming anything, I'll be the first to know.

I think I have flexible shoulders, elbows, and wrists, so it may appear as if I'm flinging my arm about. Like I said, if I'm arming it, I'll feel.
Having flexible shoulders is good (it worked for Sampras on his serve!) but it is besides the point here - the video shows you're hardly using your torso in your forehand, if at all. Anyone with an eye for technique will spot this - it's really evident. The fact you think and say you don't says something about your objectivity when viewing the videos you posted or assessing your strokes.

I will always accept advice. But I can't improve on what I'm not doing.
That is good. Being genuine in accepting advice however starts with accepting that others may know more than you or be able to view something more objectively than you.

Spin Doctor
10-26-2011, 09:43 PM
I thought both strokes had late preparation, the forehand being the "worst" of the two...

I think that this directly influences the motion of the strokes themselves as you do seem to be arming the ball.

Since your preparation is off, you rush through the swing by arming the racket. This explains why your backhand seems more consistent than your forehand because its preparation is slightly better.

Try practicing being early on your swing, it will help a bundle.

EDIT : Oh and also, you have 0 shoulder turn on your forehand.
This is another explanation as to why you are more prone to arming the ball. The only time you aren't really arming the ball is when you're on the run and actually rotating your shoulders.

I agree with this assessment. Early preparation will start solving some of your problems.

Trust me, I've had 2 shoulder surgeries. If I'm arming anything, I'll be the first to know. I used to arm my serves until I sat down, thought about my motion, and how I can use less arm while maintaining and improving my serve. If I say I'm not arming my strokes, I'm not arming my strokes. .

Pretty much all of us who have seem your video have agreed that you arming your strokes. You're not engaging your body at all. You are way off balance on your forehand (which even you agree with). Not sure how you think you're engaging your core when you are practically hitting off your heels. On both sides you're not moving INTO the stroke with your body.

As noted above, I think the early racket prep will help a lot. And the good news for you is that this is a relatively easy fix. I had very late racket prep two years ago and didn't believe it until I saw video of myself. This was a very easy change to make to my game. As soon as the racket comes off my opponent's racket I split step and I immediately get my racket into either forehand or backhand position. This helps tremendously with being in balance when hitting your stroke. You can't engage your core and body if you are off balance.

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-26-2011, 10:52 PM
I went out to hit tonight and I'm very glad I'm back to my close stance. I also stopped being lazy and focused on my footwork and I must say, I'm happy again. :)

Now that I'm back to my close stance, I noticed I was bringing my racquet back a lot sooner without thinking about it.

bad_call
10-27-2011, 04:51 AM
I went out to hit tonight and I'm very glad I'm back to my close stance. I also stopped being lazy and focused on my footwork and I must say, I'm happy again. :)

Now that I'm back to my close stance, I noticed I was bringing my racquet back a lot sooner without thinking about it.

it's those little things that make a BIG difference at higher levels. :)

DavaiMarat
10-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Light hitting...

Lol. Hilarious. I'm not sure if he wants feedback so I'm going to err on the side of caution and not give any. Luckily, I have no stick to speak of whatsoever.

Photoshop
10-27-2011, 11:25 AM
I think some people may have already pointed this out but you should take your racket back further. I don't think you're arming the ball and open stance is just fine, but your forehand take-back is too short right now.

Think of it as this - which is more accurate, a handgun or a rifle? A properly long take-back (not excessively long though) should produce more consistent and accurate strokes.

ps. I liked your serve a lot.

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-27-2011, 11:29 AM
I think some people may have already pointed this out but you should take your racket back further. I don't think you're arming the ball and open stance is just fine, but your forehand take-back is too short right now.

Think of it as this - which is more accurate, a handgun or a rifle? A properly long take-back (not excessively long though) should produce more consistent and accurate strokes.

ps. I liked your serve a lot.

Yeah, not taking the racquet back earlier is a bad habit. However, I'm not sure about taking it back further. Sounds like another thing that can go wrong? :confused: I've always had a short back swing I think.

My serve is not that great, hahaha. Probably the weakest part of my game.

Magic of tennis
10-27-2011, 12:08 PM
for 30 degrees of shoulder turn, the FH is as good as it gets... pros have 180 degrees.

YOu mean pros have 90 degree? 180 degree means you have to face back fence to create 180 degree if I am correct.

Pet
10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Ahaha I see a wegner disciple here.

WildVolley
10-27-2011, 01:05 PM
YOu mean pros have 90 degree? 180 degree means you have to face back fence to create 180 degree if I am correct.

Nope, I'll speak for him and say he meant 180 degrees. Basically this means that after the unit turn, the outside of the back shoulder goes from pointing at the back fence to pointing at the net. That's a full 180 degrees of shoulder rotation.

Pros don't necessarily have that much rotation on every forehand, but sometimes they actually rotate that far or farther. Think of it as going from looking over your left shoulder (for a righty) to looking over your right shoulder on the finish. That ability to engage the torso and shoulder turn in such a manner gives a lot of power because the whole body is being used in the shot.