PDA

View Full Version : Coaching a kid that mentally drifts out?

archman
10-27-2011, 06:31 AM
I just started coaching a junior player who is 15, and has all of the shots. He just mentally drifts out sometimes and makes a lot of errors for no apparent reason. This is something that is foreign to me because when I played, I had no problem focusing no matter who I played. It seems as if he has the tendency to do this more often when he is playing someone consistent. Any help is appreciated.

tennis_balla
10-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Does he drift in an out during matches or during practice while doing drills or both?

archman
10-27-2011, 08:42 AM
He focuses more during drills. But during matches, whether they are practice or real matches, he tends to drift badly.

dozu
10-27-2011, 08:54 AM
i think the kid is looking for an excuse (like - I lost because I wasn't paying attention).

the real problem is that he can't beat the consistent player(s) even if he focused.

just my guess - but not a wild one since I have seen kids looking for excuses this way.

mordecai
10-27-2011, 01:11 PM
If it's really a focus problem then work with him on a mental routine between every point to 'reset'. Federer plays with his strings. Nadal picks his butt. Djokovic bounces the ball incessantly on serve. Just a little something something to help him break the match down into playing one point at a time.

'I can eat an elephant one bite at a time' - I'd rather eat elephants than bagels!

charliefedererer
10-28-2011, 08:18 AM
He focuses more during drills. But during matches, whether they are practice or real matches, he tends to drift badly.

Is the problem he focuses too much on the opponent and fails to focus on what he should be doing?

Is the problem he stops "getting ready with his feet", forgetting to split step before every shot and recover quickly after each shot?

Most players don't lose focus on hitting a ball that is within reach. The problem more often is that they are watching their opponents without getting ready for the ball.