PDA

View Full Version : Russia vs France - THE POLL

Max G.
07-12-2005, 04:47 PM
So, what are everyone's thoughts! This is gonna be a close one...

Official nominations:

RUSSIA v FRANCE[b]
Venue: Moscow, Russia (clay – indoors)

[b]Russia
Nikolay Davydenko
Mikhail Youzhny
Igor Andreev
Tiemuraz Gabashvili

Captain: Shamil Tarpischev

France
Arnaud Clement
Richard Gasquet
Michael Llodra
Paul-Henri Mathieu

Captain: Guy Forget

There is also the catch of Davydenko's wrist injury - it's supposed to be fine by friday but who knows...

tricky nicky
07-12-2005, 04:49 PM
gotta be the ruski's

Max G.
07-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Heh. I'm on the edge... I just voted France, but ten seconds later changed my mind and thought that I should've voted Russia, and I'm sure that ten minutes from now I'll have changed my mind a bunch of times again.

sedwickdotcom
07-12-2005, 04:57 PM
its in russia which will help. Gasquet's strong but clay's definitely not his surface. Davydenko and youzhny are two solid baseliners, but the wrist injury. Russia.

Grinder
07-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Gasquet's strong but clay's definitely not his surface.

Are you kidding? Gasquet's best surface is probably clay, despite winning Nottingham.

Andreev is solid claycourter, he took out Nadal in straight sets this year. He and Davydenko should be a solid combo. I think Gasquet can take both of them out and Clement and Llodra should win in doubles.

RafaN RichardG
07-12-2005, 06:09 PM
def. gasquet beat federe on clay, he got to a couple semis i think on clay

x Southpaw x
07-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Gasquet is good but... is he the only good one the French team?

Max G.
07-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Gasquet is good but... is he the only good one the French team?

The other players on the French team are:

Paul-Henri Mathieu
Michael Llodra
Arnaud Clement.

Mathieu is likely to play second singles, Llodra/Clement for doubles. Llodra is a very good doubles player.

verdasco67
07-13-2005, 06:11 AM
im going for france.....gasquet and mathieu will win their singles! (my prediction)

Grimjack
07-13-2005, 06:30 AM
Going for France. Close on paper, but I'm afraid Russia is going to be demoralized by the injuries.

Feña14
07-13-2005, 07:07 AM
France, Gasquet is very strong on clay and I think he can win both of his singles. Mathieu will be ok (unless he has to play the deciding rubber ;) ) And Llodra and Clement are a very good doubles team, seeing them beat Aspelin and Bjorkman in the previous round was pretty special.

The all round ability of the French team will be too much for Russia without Safin I predict :)

RafaN RichardG
07-13-2005, 08:54 AM
The other players on the French team are:

Paul-Henri Mathieu
Michael Llodra
Arnaud Clement.

Mathieu is likely to play second singles, Llodra/Clement for doubles. Llodra is a very good doubles player.

llodra was once 8th in doubles if i remember right...

Camilio Pascual
07-13-2005, 10:03 AM
If France fails to surrender during the first match, they could actually win.
France in a romp if Davydenko is defeated in his first match.

Rabbit
07-13-2005, 10:18 AM
If France fails to surrender

Now when has that ever happened?

Russia 3 - 1

gugafanatic
07-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Russia are crippled by injuries. It would have been a different story had Safin been fully fit. I expect Gasquet to produce wins in singles and then Llodra and Clement provide the experience in doubles.

efice32
07-13-2005, 04:29 PM
This may be a stupid question, but where's Grosjean?

gugafanatic
07-13-2005, 04:32 PM
This may be a stupid question, but where's Grosjean?

Good question. I think he may want some rest after Wimbledon.

efice32
07-13-2005, 04:36 PM
If France had Grosjean combined with Gasquet for the singles then France would win definitely.

gugafanatic
07-13-2005, 04:42 PM
If France had Grosjean combined with Gasquet for the singles then France would win definitely.

Unlikely Grosjeans worst surface is probably clay.

Feña14
07-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Grosjean asked not to considered for selection due to fatigue.

pound cat
07-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Davydenko has serious wrist problems
safin's subsitiute is Tiemuraz Gabashvili (who???)

And they're playing on CLAY??? v. gasquet, Llodra/Clement/Mathieu???

Logically it would be France. however if Russia plays the matches of their lives and the stars are in alignment....

Davai Rossia!

Max G.
07-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Unlikely Grosjeans worst surface is probably clay.

Is it?

...hmm, you're right! Looking at his results, his (admittedly few) tournament wins have all been on fast surfaces, and he's had only a few claycourt finals, more fast-court ones.

I wouldn't say Grosjean is bad on clay though, the distinction is I think pretty slight...

Bogie
07-14-2005, 11:03 AM
russia without question. they have davydenko who went to the semi's in rolland garros and would have made it to the final if not for exhaustion. they also have andreev who has wont a tourny on clay with a straight set win over nadal on the way to the trophy. youzhy is also a very underappreciated talent whos taken it home for russia in the clutch before. sure, france has gasquet but the only tourny hes won came on grass, and i would think that davydenko would dismantle him on clay. plus clement hasnt really been any sort of help or factor for the past several years, so i take russia here for sure.

spinbalz
07-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Bogie, Gasquet already defeated Davidenko ON CLAY, during one of the master series played on clay this year, only about 2 monthes ago. So it can't be said that Davidenko would "dismantle" Gasquet!!! I think their level is currently very close on clay, and there should be a very disputed match between them this week. IMHO it 50/50, talent speaks for Gasquet, but experience speaks for Davidenko.

Rabbit
07-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Now when has that ever happened?

Russia 3 - 1

OK. My bad. It was 3 - 2, Russia.

Both of the Russians played awesome tennis in the last two matches, especially Igor Andreev.

spinbalz
07-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Gasquet had a small wrist injury since the end of his match against Andreev, he handicaped against Davydenko. Bad luck for my team. And Kudos to Andreeve who was wonderfull against mathieu.