PDA

View Full Version : Safin injury update?

safin_protege
07-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Does anyone here know how Safin's knee is feeling? I haven't heard yet if he even went into surgery. If he has went into surgery, when will he be back?

pound cat
07-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Posted to-day on safinator.com mb by Natasha...from europsports. Turpischev also said Safin would definitely be playing for Russia, so don't take this as the final word on Safin's knee.

Safin to be ready for US Open

Marat Safin should be fit for next month's U.S. Open after undergoing keyhole surgery on his left knee, Russia's Davis Cup captain Shamil Tarpishchev said on Wednesday. Safin, troubled by pain in his left knee for the last two months, had a small operation this week in Italy to repair a ligament .

"Marat has already begun a rehabilitation process and he should be ready to resume playing before the start of the U.S. Open," Tarpishchev told Reuters.

The injury has forced the world number five to miss this week's Davis Cup quarter-final between Russia and France at Moscow's Olympic Stadium.

The third grand slam of the year begins at Flushing Meadows in New York on August 29.

safin_protege
07-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks, any word if he will be able to play any US Open Series events? I think he needs to, in order to prepare mentally.

pound cat
07-13-2005, 05:16 PM
He has been known to prepare mentally by not playng or practicing at all! It will all be a surprise. Davai Marat.

sedwickdotcom
07-13-2005, 05:19 PM
there is no way for him to prepare mentally besides his being on court the day of the match. Everything else is just an irrelevant series of events to further p i s s him off

esrb
07-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Safin is Da Man !!! but needs a brain surgery as well....

pound cat
07-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Leave him alone esrb. He's won 2 Slams, millions of dollars, has a great life, and doesn't owe anybody anything.

Marius_Hancu
07-20-2005, 11:22 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-safin-surgery&prov=ap&type=lgns

training in two weeks? too soon, to my mind

pound cat
07-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Posted on safinator.com mb by a reliable russian poster. 'Tarpischev said yesterday that Marat would start practicing in three weeks."

Marat's practice sessions are not long when he's healthy, so don't worry about him overdoing it.

littlelleyton
07-20-2005, 03:29 PM
well lets just hope for the sake of the draw he can get back fit for at least the US open as i think the tournament would suffer a lose without him in it. he has the promise to upset Fed if he has the mind set right, i know very dubious, but he proved earlier this year at the AO he can do it. lets hope he can atleast be there to challenge

safin_protege
07-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Well said littlelleyton, I'll be rooting for him to do well in the Open, a Federer/Safin semi-final or final would be amazing.

gifted_shotmaker
07-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Definitely well said, littlelleyton. Thanks for the injury update, pound cat and Marius.

Strictly at the slams, Safin has given a good effort, IMO. I mean no intentional tanking, and I notice from the tone in his interviews, he desires to have a more illustrious tennis career. He began the year with an expected winning run(at least for me) at the Australian Open. Though he made the fourth round or less in the last two slams, I think he had a tough one against Robredo, and Lopez was probably playing the best he has at Wimbledon.

He even reached his first grass finals which is just GREAT! He was no pushover to Federer in both of those finals either, but it's got to suck to lose to Federer twice in the same day!

If he desires to do well and has the mindset that drove him to the AO win, his chances should be promising. But no predictions from me; if Safin wants it, he'll get it. That's why he's "Mr. Unpredictable" LOL

hummer23
07-20-2005, 05:49 PM
The third grand slam of the year begins at Flushing Meadows in New York on August 29.

Isn't the US Open the fourth slam of the year?

fist pump
07-20-2005, 06:36 PM
i wanna see another fed - safin match , at the USO .

pound cat
07-21-2005, 02:41 AM
Isn't the US Open the fourth slam of the year?

Never trust the media! Or Shamil Tarpishchev. This sentence is from the bit about Safin that was on eurosport.cm.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-21-2005, 08:39 AM
I dont think Safin will win the U.S open but he has a chance to upset anybody in a given round, including Federer. I just dont think he will be consistent enough to win the last 3 or 4 rounds vs challenging opponents, especialy having already done it once this year already. I agree he has been good in the slams this year, at the French Open Robredo played an unbelievable match to beat him; at Wimbledon you cant ask him to do anymore than to give a good effort, unlike others, I knew grass was his worst surface, even after he took Federer to 3 sets in Halle, something several much lesser players had done that same tournament.

gifted_shotmaker
08-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Taken from Marat Safin Official:

30.07.05 Marat is spending the weekend in San Tropez and then will start tennis practice in Bologna on Monday. He feels good and ready to play.

This practice on Monday will be the final test on the knee and from there it will be decided if he is ready for the hard grind of the tennis on the US Hardcourts. Marat does not want to rush it and then have a relapse as happened previously with his wrist in 2003.

We will keep you posted.

27.07.05 Marat Update
Marat has stepped up his work in the gym and the knee is holding up fine. He will leave Bologna on Tuesday and then concentrate on tennis practice to build up to Montreal.

Marat is also pleased that Andre Agassi has signed with Adidas. He has always admired Andre and is glad that he is on board with Adidas.

This is also worth a look:
Confusion reigns: Was it treatment or surgery? (http://www.maratsafin.com/content.php?did=10&aid=121d73cbad3a7eca3bce671cd0943458)