PDA

View Full Version : Credits to L&R Tennis for my improvement

ciocc
10-27-2011, 11:52 PM
After watching the modern forehand video from Lock & Roll tennis, my forehand is now a lot more consistent. Thank you Tae!!!!

Here is a short video clip of my forehand now. Critiques are welcome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5mftpuT2A4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

My forehand was like this just a few months ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIwN1nHEhg4&feature=feedu

I think I finish my stroke a bit too high (over the shoulder) and I should flatten it out a bit and have a more WW swing path. What do you think?

Thanks. :)

dozu
10-28-2011, 04:30 AM
well done! new motion looks like 1000 X better.

no worries on the finish... everybody has a natural steepness of swing path, if it gives good results during play, you are done!

now move on to the next item to work on :)

ciocc
10-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks Dozu. I have problem executing my OHBH consistently.

Here is how it looks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OaLIN55sXY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I think I have the following issues:
1. Not staying side way long enough and opening up my chest too early
2. Using the shoulder/entire arm too much and not enough from hip rotation
3. Cannot find a consistent racket face angle.

I'm using a EBH grip and a semi pistol grip. I tried the hammer grip before but found it uncomfortable.

Critiques are welcome. Thank you.

NLBwell
10-28-2011, 08:23 AM
The follow-through on the forehand looks a bit funky, but as far as I can tell from the video (might be able to tell more from the side) it is a solid shot all the way through impact and you don't seem to slowing the racket down, so there is no problem with it. How much variety can you hit with on your forehand - varying depth, flattening it out, slicing it, sidespin, etc.?

NLBwell
10-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Backhand is good, too, but try to keep your right shoulder from flying away from the ball.

ciocc
10-28-2011, 09:37 AM
The follow-through on the forehand looks a bit funky, but as far as I can tell from the video (might be able to tell more from the side) it is a solid shot all the way through impact and you don't seem to slowing the racket down, so there is no problem with it. How much variety can you hit with on your forehand - varying depth, flattening it out, slicing it, sidespin, etc.?

Thanks for your comments. Yeah ... I do think that my follow-thru is a bit funky ... Perhaps I need to relax the arm more and extend my arm more during the forward path.

At my level (guess NTRP 3.0?), I have a decent directional control and can keep the ball deep or hit short angles. I am not too comfortable hitting forehand slice and side spin though.

My footwork is pretty bad, and I often have problem adjusting my spacing and jam the ball when I get lazy. :(

ciocc
10-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Backhand is good, too, but try to keep your right shoulder from flying away from the ball.

You are right and I have the same problem on my black hand slice too. :oops:

rufusbgood
10-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Well, the difference between your old forehand and new forehand was dramatic enough for me to finally make a visit to the lock and roll guys site. Congrats on the improvement.

On the backhand side, what seems to me you are not doing is actually getting the racquet head down sufficiently before the stroke. You bring the racquet back high which looks very nice, but the head of the racquet scarcely gets below belt level and then only during the stroke, not prior to it. So what we don't see is what used to be referred to as the "pulling the sword out of the sheath" phase.

ciocc
10-28-2011, 08:17 PM
You are right, rufusbood. I feel that my backhand is pretty flat.

mad dog1
10-29-2011, 10:26 AM

Here is how it looks:

I'm using a EBH grip and a semi pistol grip. I tried the hammer grip before but found it uncomfortable.

this is because you're not using your non-hitting arm as a counter balance. watch federer as his hitting arm moves forward, his off arm swings back. this keeps him sideways longer and prevents his chest from opening too early and overrotating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX7CcDIkMhE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCQ50D2fIKI

mad dog1
10-29-2011, 10:33 AM
nice improvement on the fh. but your hips, shoulder and arm are all moving together as 1 unit. that's not what Tae teaches in his videos. he's teaching more of a whipping action like cracking a whip. or the little rotating drum as he refers to in his video. keep a loose hitting arm. you snap or rotate your hip first. the shoulder will automatically start to come around followed by the hitting arm, and finally the racquet. just like whip. you snap your arm first and your wrist and the whip will come around later.

by snapping/rotating from the hip, you're able to generate alot of power effortlessly. hip rotation is the power multiplier.

Limpinhitter
10-29-2011, 10:43 AM

Here is how it looks:

Pretty good bh, but, here's what I see:

- Circular windup is too high causing you to have to redirect your momentum to start the forward swing. Rather a smaller, lower circle will fascilitate getting your racquet below the ball and flow naturally in to the forward/upward swing.

- You need more upper body rotation on the backswing. You're not really getting your shoulders past 0 degrees to the target. You should get about 45 degrees from the target on the backswing and close to 90 degrees on the other side on the follow through.

So, at this point a smaller lower circle and a bigger upper body turn on the windup.

- You are bending at the waist and not enough at the legs, and you are straightening too much at contact. Try to keep your upper body more straight up and down, bend more at the knees, and stay down through contact.

Hope this helps.

ciocc
10-30-2011, 12:51 PM
mad dog1 : Thanks for your advice.

I'm still not to the point where extending the off arm feels completely natural. Indeed, I still need to constantly remind myself to use the off arm during my stroke. I guess it'll become natural with more practices.

About the whipping motion. I thought I did rotate my hip first before the shoulder, and then the arm. However, after watching my video again and again, it does look like I did not keep my hitting arm loose enough. Any tips on keeping the arm loose while still having control?

ciocc
10-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Limpinhitter : Thanks for your analysis. I don't know why I can keep my back upright and use the legs to adjust the contact point on FH, but struggle to do the same on BH. And you are right on my shoulder turn and the wind up.

mad dog1
10-30-2011, 04:10 PM
mad dog1 : Thanks for your advice.

I'm still not to the point where extending the off arm feels completely natural. Indeed, I still need to constantly remind myself to use the off arm during my stroke. I guess it'll become natural with more practices.

About the whipping motion. I thought I did rotate my hip first before the shoulder, and then the arm. However, after watching my video again and again, it does look like I did not keep my hitting arm loose enough. Any tips on keeping the arm loose while still having control?

extending the off arm is really key to a reliable, controllable 1hbh.

you are rotating your racquet, arm and shoulder around the waist as one unit. there's nothing wrong with that. it's more old school technique and the pros from the 70s and 80s hit very successfully this way. no need to change anything if it's working for you. hitting it the way Tae teaches in his videos makes it so effortless to generate alot of pace and power. try some shadow swings without any balls. keep a loose arm and loose grip. start your swing motion from the hips. snap the hips forward and see how your arm and racquet come around. when the arm and racquet come around, you just need to "guide" it to your desired swing path. when you're comfortable w/ the shadow swinging, set the speed of your ball machine to 4 or 5 and give yourself plenty of time between each feed and try it w/ a live ball. once you get used to it, it'll come naturally. good luck.

ciocc
10-31-2011, 11:13 AM
extending the off arm is really key to a reliable, controllable 1hbh.

yeah ... I think I have also heard Justin Henin mentioned the same thing in one of her videos.

hawk eye
10-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Great job. The L & R guy must be the real deal.

sureshs
10-31-2011, 11:27 AM
One more guy who understands what I have been talking about and have taken more than my fair share of insults for it. But, in the end, truth prevails.

"There are three types of Serves: The Flat, The Slice and The Kick (Topspin) Serve. The Flat and the Slice Serve are usually utilized for the first serve and the Kick (Topspin) Serve is utilized for the second serve. The Flat and Slice Serve are similar in swing pattern and toss. Both are hit down and through while the Slice Serve is hit more from the outside of the ball. The Kick Serve on the other hand, is hit from low to high."

sunof tennis
10-31-2011, 03:31 PM

This! Try to keep your should down more, leaning into it. Also, if you want some more topspin you need to get below the level of the ball and brush up more.

ciocc
10-31-2011, 11:56 PM
Try to keep your should down more, leaning into it.

Thanks for your comment. But I don't understand why I need to keep my shoulder down. Are you referring to the follow thru or at contact? I understand that I need to keep the front shoulder down and lean into the shot when hitting a backhand SLICE. But shouldn't I bring the front shoulder up when hitting a top-spinned 1HBH?

Please elaborate. Thanks.