PDA

View Full Version : Please do not use Parcel Post!

RyKnocks
10-28-2011, 12:55 PM
For anyone who is active in the Sale/Trade boards, please do not try to save a dollar and ship Parcel Post within the US. I recently learned that a racquet that I purchased from someone here on the boards was shipped via Parcel. The delivery confirmation says it's supposed to arrive today, but alas it isn't here and mail has already been delivered. Also, it's been a week since the racquet was shipped and I've never waited more than 2-3 business days for a racquet (even from California to New York).

It's not the seller's fault as we never agreed on a shipping method and the seller shipped right away, it's just annoying now that I've had to wait a week for the shipment and with it being parcel, who knows how much longer it will take. I was hoping to take the racquet with me on a trip that I'm going on this weekend, but that will not happen now.

Parcel Post = 1+ Weeks within US
Priority Shipping = 2-3 business days

Please do your buyer a favor and spend the extra dollar on priority shipping. It just makes the world a better place.

/rant

PED
10-28-2011, 01:05 PM
IIRC, it's usually much more than a $1 difference between the two, especially from nyc to ca.

Fearsome Forehand
10-28-2011, 01:13 PM
If you are in the same state, or neighboring states, the delivery time is usually the same as Priority. Cross country is another matter and can take 1 to 2 weeks versus 2 to 3 days.

Parcel Post is great for larger or heavier shipments which are cost prohibitive via Priority Mail. For a racket, you might as well pony up the extra two bucks and keep your buyer sane. Always get tracking regardless.

I usually use Fed Ex Ground so I don't have to go to the PO. It is a whole different world in terms of service and tracking. 4 to 5 business days cross country but at least I always know where the package is.

r2473
10-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Why didn't you request and pay for priority shipping if it was important to you?

Do you expect people to read your mind (and pay your bills)?

Steve Huff
10-28-2011, 01:36 PM
We have a FedEx office near our house. If I can send to a business address, I can ship FedEx Ground for about the same as Parcel Post. If you don't have a FedEx owned office, I guess you get upcharged a bit.

RyKnocks
10-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Why didn't you request and pay for priority shipping if it was important to you?

Do you expect people to read your mind (and pay your bills)?

Of course not...(how did I know I would get a smarty comment like this?)

I already mentioned that the seller and I never discussed the shipping method so it isn't his fault at all, but I've done a number of transactions over this board and everyone has shipped USPS Priority/FedEx/UPS. I even received a fixed clamp, 35lb stringing machine within 3 business days. Even through transactions I've had over "the bay" or other non-tennis forums, I've never had someone send anything via parcel post.

I guess this is just something I'll keep in mind the next time I deal with someone.

r2473
10-28-2011, 01:53 PM
I would have shipped it media mail

scotus
10-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Even with Priority Mail, there is no guarantee on 2-3 day delivery.

Every once in a while, Post Office goofs, and the package gets sent to a wrong state, then re-routed, taking weeks instead of days.

mikeler
10-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Even with Priority Mail, there is no guarantee on 2-3 day delivery.

Every once in a while, Post Office goofs, and the package gets sent to a wrong state, then re-routed, taking weeks instead of days.

This few week delay has happened a few times to me.

scotus
10-28-2011, 03:52 PM
This few week delay has happened a few times to me.

That's why it is important to obtain the delivery confirmation number. Then both parties can see what exactly has transpired with the shipment, rather than have unfortunate misunderstandings.

mikeler
10-28-2011, 05:43 PM
That's why it is important to obtain the delivery confirmation number. Then both parties can see what exactly has transpired with the shipment, rather than have unfortunate misunderstandings.

Agreed. Usually these are low cost transactions so people don't want to spend the extra dollar but that small price could save some big time future arguments.

RyKnocks
10-28-2011, 06:06 PM

Agreed, the seller DID get me delivery confirmation. It was supposed to arrive today but the last update was a two days ago and it arrived in a city 2 hrs away from me. I would have figured it'd make a 2hr trip in two days.

SoCal10s
10-28-2011, 08:21 PM
you got to do "" priority mail"" it's the best way to go...

Steve Huff
10-28-2011, 08:34 PM
If he got you "delivery confirmation", then he got Priority Mail. At least at our Post Office, you can't get Delivery Confirmation unless you get Priority Mail (or something more expensive). Sounds as though the seller did all he could. I'm hoping that you are upset with the Post Office, not with the seller.

RyKnocks
10-29-2011, 12:19 AM
If he got you "delivery confirmation", then he got Priority Mail. At least at our Post Office, you can't get Delivery Confirmation unless you get Priority Mail (or something more expensive). Sounds as though the seller did all he could. I'm hoping that you are upset with the Post Office, not with the seller.

The seller told me he sent via parcel post. Again, I never blamed the seller for anything as we had never agreed on a shipping method. He was very responsive and sent the racquet within an hour of me sending him the money. My rant is more geared towards the opposition of using parcel post when priority mail is generally much faster for an extra buck or two.

Bud
10-29-2011, 01:31 AM
The difference can sometimes be 5+ dollars (depending on the destination zip code and the total weight). Some racquet sales include a very small margin between breaking even and losing money. Be clear when you transact which delivery method 'shipped' includes and be willing to pay if you want 2-3 day Priority.

For example, if I sell a frame with cover (3 lbs.) for $20 shipped and it's going to Ohio (for example) from California, I'll most likely ship PP unless the buyer wants to chip in the 4-5 extra dollars to cover Priority shipping (which consequently only benefits the buyer).

Magic of tennis
10-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Fedex is bad as well. They delivered my package to someone else but they don't get signature so I don't know to whom they delivered the package so I can't get it back. Also they have tracking number so the package appeared to be delivered to me without signature :evil: I talked with seller that item was delivered to someone else but it can't be proved because Fedex delivers item without signature unless it was specified. There was no receiver's name in the tracking number but it was delivered so I couldn't get refund or item. :evil:
UPS is a little better. They delivered the similar package to someone else as well but at least they get signature and name so I can track down who got my item. I called original seller that package was delivered to someone else and tracking number showed receiver name ( it was not me). So seller sent me another one.

UPS wins !

coolblue123
10-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Thank goodness I've never lost a package from USPS before. Although I heard some folks that has.
But I don't mind sending priority mail when it is a dollar difference. When it's over a dollar and when the buyer negotiates for the price, you can't really blame the seller to take the cheapest route in delivery.
But I agree with everyone, having a conf number is a must. Cuts down on alot of misunderstanding and confusion.

zapvor
11-01-2011, 09:38 PM
i can confirm for a fact NEVER use parcel post. someone did that to me on the bay and i had to open a case because item didn't arrive until forever.

Bud
11-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Thank goodness I've never lost a package from USPS before. Although I heard some folks that has.
But I don't mind sending priority mail when it is a dollar difference. When it's over a dollar and when the buyer negotiates for the price, you can't really blame the seller to take the cheapest route in delivery.
But I agree with everyone, having a conf number is a must. Cuts down on alot of misunderstanding and confusion.

Agreed. When shipping PP, the delivery confirmation number for an additional .19 is definitely worth it.

tennytive
11-23-2011, 05:02 AM
Just read that starting 1 22 12 Priority Mail rates are going up.

Large box such as what we use to ship rackets will now cost $15.35. It didn't state whether or not that was the maximum or minimum cost, so for coast to coast it could cost even more. Add tracking and insurance and it'll be $20.00 or more to sell a decent used racket.

Under those conditions, parcel post may be a more logical option. PP with insurance and tracking will probably cost less than $15.35 for PM with no insurance or tracking.

Either way it will impact sellers and buyers alike time or money wise.

DCaicedo
11-23-2011, 06:48 AM
Shipped a pair of BK2k11's from the East to the West coast via PP last week. Got to the person in a week. UPS takes just about the same amount of time.

Nothing wrong with PP. Just add tracking and delivery confirmation.

diredesire
11-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Bottom line is that the seller should have told you up front, it's just good, basic communication. I always (?) list it in my threads, and I tend to confirm it before I send out. While the seller didn't do anything wrong, and the OP ISN'T blaming the seller, it could have been avoided, and the opportunity to pay extra to get it in time for a trip could have been presented.

I would have shipped it media mail
Media mail is reserved for certain types of shipping. It'd actually be mail fraud to do this... so I wouldn't recommend it ;)

You can put DC on PP. If you hate the post office like me (always a ridiculous line), check out USPS.com's shipping services OR the even better (in my opinion) paypal "Ship Now" (google "paypal ship now") service. There's also Paypal Multi-Order tool that you can use to ship to anyone (you don't have to have a paypal transaction open) and you can select multiple types of shipping, including priority, parcel, first class, etc. You can print all your postage labels online, tape it to the box, and then schedule a pick up (if it doesn't fit in your mailbox). You can specify where the pickup will take place (aka front door/back door, etc) so it stays relatively secure, and the post person can pick it up on their scheduled rounds. Very convenient for home owners, slightly less convenient for apartment dwellers.

Just a tip for everyone :)

Fedex is bad as well. They delivered my package to someone else but they don't get signature so I don't know to whom they delivered the package so I can't get it back. Also they have tracking number so the package appeared to be delivered to me without signature :evil: I talked with seller that item was delivered to someone else but it can't be proved because Fedex delivers item without signature unless it was specified. There was no receiver's name in the tracking number but it was delivered so I couldn't get refund or item. :evil:
UPS is a little better. They delivered the similar package to someone else as well but at least they get signature and name so I can track down who got my item. I called original seller that package was delivered to someone else and tracking number showed receiver name ( it was not me). So seller sent me another one.

UPS wins !

Fedex can provide signature confirmation, as well. It's an additional service same as everyone else...??