PDA

View Full Version : Yet ANOTHER serve question, sorry!

Bergboy123
10-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Hey, I hope I can't get like banned for too many stupid questions around here, haha :D

But here it is.

What is the difference between a kick serve and a twist serve? I've been reading up and I guess the opinions out there really vary.

My understanding:

Kick -- Toss above your head, brush UP on the ball on contact, the ball has TOPspin on it, and when it lands it bounces UP.

Twist -- Don't really know about the toss, or anything, (I'm trying to learn it haha) but when it bounces it not only bounces UP but also OUT, opposite of a slice serve but not that dramatic.

So is my understanding true? And even more important, how can I learn a twist serve? It seems to me that it's harder than a kick, but a better weapon to have. So I want it. :)

Up&comer
10-28-2011, 03:16 PM
First off, twist serve isn't a legitimate kind serve. What you are describing is a good kick serve. To hit a kick with only topspin would be very difficult and would require a very specific motion. I know a kid I hit with occasionally that has a serve exactly like that.

However, a really effective kick serve bouces up and out. So if you are a righty, it would go up and right, lefty would be left and up.

When you hit a kick serve, you should have your toss right above your head or a little further back. Make sure it doesn't get way out in front of you.

The biggest motion in a good kick serve is the wrist snap. Make sure you snap out and through the ball with your wrist.

Any other questions, I'm sure there are people that can explain it better. I'm more of an executor.

LeeD
10-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Problem here is in the semantics of the words "kick" and "twist"...
It can be anything you want.
OK, both serves are higher than normal bouncing serves, right?
An "AmericanTwist", which we will now call a "twist", starts curving one way, and upon hitting the ground, starts to rebound the opposite direction, as stated by BOTH OF YOU!
But there is also a high bouncing serve that bounces either straight up, or in the normal direction of the airborne path of the ball, which some of us call "Kick" serves. "Kick" serves can be pure topspin, or top/sidespin.
So we have THREE different directions on bounces, all with higher than "normal" bounce heights.
We cannot discount the name ... "AmericanTwist", as it's been around since the '30's.
We cannot discount the regular high bouncing serves which bounce the other two directions. It's a reality, and certainly bounces HIGHER than a pure slice or a flat serve...so it's a "kick" serve also, but bounces in another direction.
Nothing conclusive here because we have not agreed on the DEFINITION of the words "twist", or "kick".

LeeD
10-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Problem here is in the semantics of the words "kick" and "twist"...
It can be anything you want.
OK, both serves are higher than normal bouncing serves, right?
An "AmericanTwist", which we will now call a "twist", starts curving one way, and upon hitting the ground, starts to rebound the opposite direction, as stated by BOTH OF YOU!
But there is also a high bouncing serve that bounces either straight up, or in the normal direction of the airborne path of the ball, which some of us call "Kick" serves. "Kick" serves can be pure topspin, or top/sidespin.
So we have THREE different directions on bounces, all with higher than "normal" bounce heights.
We cannot discount the name ... "AmericanTwist", as it's been around since the '30's.
We cannot discount the regular high bouncing serves which bounce the other two directions. It's a reality, and certainly bounces HIGHER than a pure slice or a flat serve...so it's a "kick" serve also, but bounces in another direction.
Nothing conclusive here because we have not agreed on the DEFINITION of the words "twist", or "kick".

Limpinhitter
10-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Hey, I hope I can't get like banned for too many stupid questions around here, haha :D

But here it is.

What is the difference between a kick serve and a twist serve? I've been reading up and I guess the opinions out there really vary.

My understanding:

Kick -- Toss above your head, brush UP on the ball on contact, the ball has TOPspin on it, and when it lands it bounces UP.

Twist -- Don't really know about the toss, or anything, (I'm trying to learn it haha) but when it bounces it not only bounces UP but also OUT, opposite of a slice serve but not that dramatic.

So is my understanding true? And even more important, how can I learn a twist serve? It seems to me that it's harder than a kick, but a better weapon to have. So I want it. :)

A kick is where you hit a high arch over the net with lots of topspin to bring it down at a sharp angle so that it bounces up high.

A twist (aka American Twist), is like a kick, except that instead of straight topspin, you toss the ball to the left of your head and swing up and across from left to right to impart a mixed topspin-sidespin. This causes the ball to bounce up and to the right. So, if you serve wide to a righty's backhand, the twist will make the ball jump out even further to the right making it harder to reach the ball.

LeeD
10-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Right, so both serves are KICK serves, but a twist bounces the opposite direction.

eliza
10-28-2011, 05:18 PM
DO not worry about being banned, there is a long queue...
They call American twist what everywhere else is called kick (top+side spin)...and the ball can be thrown a little more in front, not necessarily left (as you advance you will want to "cover"the ball toss, so opponent has hard time reading your serve).
Have fun!!

Bergboy123
10-28-2011, 07:19 PM
LeeD I agree with everything you say, but possibly do you have some advice on how to properly execute an American Twist?

tennis_pr0
10-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Simply put, both are kick serves, one kicks up, the other kicks up and out. This depends on where you make contact on the ball. For just a regular topspin serve, you are simply brushing up on the ball, for a "twist" serve, you are brushing up and out on the ball, giving it top and side spin. If the ball was a clock, you would basically be making contact at 7 or 8 o'clock to achieve the "twist" effect. Hope this helps and clears things up for you.

Fuji
10-30-2011, 09:53 AM
I learned quite a bit in this thread! Turns out I don't hit a kick serve! I'm trying to think of how to even hit a proper "kick"! I've always just used twist....

Are there any videos comparing the two serves???

-Fuji

Xizel
10-30-2011, 10:14 AM

Like LeeD said, there's also a third serve that bounces higher than normal. The topspin-slice serve has a more even ratio of topspin to sidespin (whereas the twist serve has a more prominent topspin component). It curves in the same direction throughout unlike the twist serve, which has a rightward break. This is the spin used by pros on their first serve.

Bergboy123
10-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Ok so I've really been working on this a lot, trying to achieve a twist serve.

What I've discovered is that I have to stand with my left foot parallel to the baseline, so my shoulders are very slanted towards the right (I'm a righty btw,) toss the ball EXTREMELY farther to the left than any other serve I've ever hit, use a backhand grip, and really tweak my wrist to snap through from 8 to 2 in order to get any tiny bit of "twist" off to the right.

If I don't toss it way to the left of my normal toss, then the serve just kicks up, and not out at all.

Am I doing this right?

Bergboy123
11-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Sorry to be persistent does my last post correctly summarize how to hit the American Twist?

charliefedererer
11-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Sorry to be persistent does my last post correctly summarize how to hit the American Twist?

Yes, that is basically how to hit the American Twist.

Good luck!