PDA

View Full Version : Adios Carlos???

Jonas
02-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Last time i checked Moya was down a set and 2-5 against behrand at the brasil open. This is another squandered opportunity for Moya. The field at this tourney was already pretty weak, and Massu went out on the bottom half today. Carlos needs wins at these smaller events simply for match play and confidence purposes. I am predicting a break-through title for one of the young players such as Gasquet or verdasco.

@wright
02-24-2004, 03:03 PM
The past couple years Moya has been disappearing more than David Copperfield.

CBodom
02-24-2004, 03:07 PM
3-6 3-6 hes out.. lets see if guga chokes next :)

AAAA
02-24-2004, 04:28 PM
FYI Moya and Guga have been way past their best for at least a few years. It's incorrect to expect them to play as they once did.

Jonas
02-24-2004, 04:59 PM
It is a shame that Guga's career has seemed to have been cut short, but i disagree about Moya. I think he still has some very nice clay and hard-court results left in him.

Rabbit
02-24-2004, 06:11 PM
I agree, but I don't think Moya has another Slam in him.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-24-2004, 07:16 PM
Rabbit, maybe just one more I think. But he would have to have an easier draw, or just rip it up at RG or the aus or MAYBE the US if his serve was on fire and so was he. I see him top 10 this year and next and then MAYBE one more, but after that it's into the 20's and beyond and finally, adios for good. Moya must have something wrong with Behrend, second time he's been upset first round by this guy. Hope his ankle isn't a problem.

gustavo33
02-24-2004, 07:23 PM
moya was ridiculous today... he had some blister problems and he was off all the match... the worst matches ive seen by a pro player

sseemiller
02-24-2004, 07:48 PM
Moya was on fire this year until he got the ankle injury in the Sydney final, winning Chennai and then reaching the Sydney final. He had a long lay-off until Buenos Aires, couldn't play Davis Cup, and then managed to reach the final anyway.

His best days may be behind him, but he was in the Masters Cup the last two years, which isn't too bad. :mrgreen: Only 7 other players can say that each year.

It could be his ankle isn't 100% to be running the way you need to do on clay. A bit of rest, and things could be different for him. I agree, he may never win another slam. But he isn't ready for the retirement home yet, at least based on current results/rankings. :lol:

@wright
02-24-2004, 07:53 PM
I'd love to see Moya get back to his past brilliance, floating around the court and blasting groundies for clean winners. The trouble with Moya is his serve has to be on fire to win any easy service points. If he had a serve that he could do a little more with as far as swooping out wide, he'd really be able to win some easy routine points, which I haven't seen him do.

sseemiller
02-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Personally, I think Moya's problems aren't with his game, but with his head. When he's on, he's on. When he's off, well, it isn't pretty. And this is from a big Moya fan. :mrgreen:

Anyway, hate to bring Nadal into the discussion so early into my return from retirement :lol: , but I read an item recently on the differences between Moya's and Nadal's games. And I thought it was fascinating. Here's what some Spanish legends said. And I think it explains a bit why Moya hasn't done as well as he should have (although his back injury sidelined him for a long time, and that was beyond his control):

* What differences do you see between Moy and Nadal?

Santana - For starters, Nadal is left-handed and Moy is not. Rafa plays tennis with more improvisation, but there is still much to learn. Moy has great technical capabilities, with very good strokes, like his forehand and also his serve, but he is inconsistent in his game.

Gimeno - Being left-handed is an advantage for Nadal, cause it is uncomfortable for right-handed players. Nadal is more aggressive on court than Moy, although the latter still has a greater variety of technical strokes that have kept him almost always in the top ten.

Orantes - They are different players. Moy has more variety in his game, but he is not as consistent. Nadal is stronger mentally and he is more consistent. He is very mature on court.

Arilla - Tennis-wise, Moy is a more complete player, and if he is focused, he has all the talent of the world. Nadal is mentally stronger. I don't know what will happen in a year, but if he improves his volley and his serve he will be a great player.

Sorry to put in the Nadal stuff, but I thought it was interesting to see the comparison.

And here's the full article for anyone who is interested:

http://www.vamosrafael.com/articles/art148e.html

Susan

@wright
02-24-2004, 08:13 PM
I saw a couple Nadal clips during the Aussie and they were very impressive. He was taking king-sized cuts at approach shots and such, this kid might be the biggest thing in tennis and he actually doesn't seem obnoxious at all!

sseemiller
02-24-2004, 08:24 PM
:lol: High praise from you, Alan. J/K

I keep getting more and more impressed with the kid, but again, I'm very biased, as I have a site for him. But even I was shocked at what he did in that final match in Brno. Kudos to The Tennis Channel for showing it live here. But I figure that no matter what anyone else says, the Spanish guys who have been watching him for years had total faith to put a 17-year-old in to either clinch the tie or put Spain into relegation. And they went with him. So that says something.

And I've seen the match between Nadal and Hewitt at the Aus Open, and it is SO entertaining, you wouldn't believe it. At times Nadal was out-Hewitting Hewitt, and then Hewitt would regain his balance, and it would start all over again. Two counter-punchers punching at each other. Tons of fun! They are very similar in terms of game styles, and I think on clay, Nadal would win.

And from what I understand, at the net, Hewitt told Nadal, "You'll be winning a slam before long." Or something like that. I hope it's true. But again, that's my personal bias. I admit it. :mrgreen:

Susan

Rabbit
02-25-2004, 07:08 AM
As with any of the top players, if they have problems, 99% of the time they're going to be between the ears. You don't get to that level with bad strokes. My feeling is that Moya is now 27 and probably past his GS prime. He will make a dent and probably oust some higher seeds, but winning a GS requires something special.

Ocean Drive
03-07-2009, 08:32 AM
I think Moya is done unfortunately.

Sentinel
03-07-2009, 08:55 AM
I didn't see the dates here, and read the posts from first up.
I thought i was delirious when i read this ... till i saw the dates.

Rabbit, maybe just one more I think. But he would have to have an easier draw, or just rip it up at RG or the aus or MAYBE the US if his serve was on fire and so was he. I see him top 10 this year and next and then MAYBE one more, but after that it's into the 20's and beyond and finally, adios for good. Moya must have something wrong with Behrend, second time he's been upset first round by this guy. Hope his ankle isn't a problem.

oranges
03-07-2009, 08:57 AM
What's the reason to resurrect this thread? At least then point out that he won titles since then :p

fluffy Beaver
03-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Nice, a 5 year old bump. Again, showing OD is trolling and needs to get banned soon.

SAFINATORZ
03-11-2009, 01:31 PM
MOYA could've won a few more grandslams. Is he considered an underachiever?