PDA

View Full Version : Is it better for a defensive style player to play way back from the baseline?

Golden Retriever
10-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Does playing way back from the baseline give more time for the defensive player to defend and giving him a defensive edge?

Avles
10-29-2011, 06:30 AM
Does playing way back from the baseline give more time for the defensive player to defend and giving him a defensive edge?

Don't think that can be answered in the abstract. Presumably it would depend on the opponent.

dozu
10-29-2011, 06:53 AM
a couple of guys I've hit with play this way, and it can be difficult to hit thru them if you just blast away.

but, a few drop shots and sharp angle shots will tear this style apart.

goober
10-29-2011, 07:09 AM

You better be in awesome shape and fast if you are going to play way behind the baseline. If someone is just bashing the ball against you without much thought it will work. If you play someone who starts hitting droppers and angles you will wear down unless you are in really good shape.

MyFearHand
10-29-2011, 07:38 AM
I play like this sometimes against guys who just bash the ball harder than I can deal with close to the baseline. But I'm constantly looking to make them cough up a weaker ball at which point I will move in and take the baseline and sometimes even approach if the ball is short enough. I'm pretty fast and in pretty good shape so I don't have trouble getting to most shots and I can keep it up for a good 3 sets unless the guy I'm playing is just way better than me. But I'm not in the mindset of staying on defense I'm just trying to stay there until I see an opening. Counter-puncher I guess. So I guess it gives you an edge but agree with these guys you better be in shape.

Mick
10-29-2011, 08:22 AM

it would work against some players but the good ones would hit a hard deep shot and following it up with a drop shot and break down your defense.

NJ1
10-29-2011, 08:28 AM

As others have said, totally depends on the opponent. If he's any good he'll just start dropping shots or, if his finesse game is not too hot, keep the ballspeed but hit shallow angled shots with lots of topspin that will drag you way out of "position".