PDA

View Full Version : How do you define an all-court player?

atac
10-28-2011, 10:41 PM
My idea of an all-court player is someone who uses their serve and groundies to work their way to the net and put away volleys. Although, wiki says all-court players have aspects of every style such as offensive baseliner, defensive counter-puncher, and serve and volleyer. I don't really see how using different styles means someone is an "all-court" player as oppose to just being really versatile. So which is it?

dozu
10-29-2011, 05:33 AM
see sticky!

Limpinhitter
10-29-2011, 08:33 AM
My idea of an all-court player is someone who uses their serve and groundies to work their way to the net and put away volleys. Although, wiki says all-court players have aspects of every style such as offensive baseliner, defensive counter-puncher, and serve and volleyer. I don't really see how using different styles means someone is an "all-court" player as oppose to just being really versatile. So which is it?

Rod Laver!

kiki
10-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Rod Laver!

Took it from my mouthĄĄ but Iīm afraid not many TT posters knoe what is this about...

kiki
10-29-2011, 08:43 AM

Iīm sorry you have to pick up on wiky what the definition of all court tennis is.Itīs not your fault if you havenīt seen former tennis than the current.:(

Kaptain Karl
10-29-2011, 09:40 AM
In case you don't know what dozu meant by "See sticky..."

"All Court players are able to adapt their games to give them the best advantage ... against any opponent’s style ... in any weather condition ... however and whenever needed."

See more, here (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=58284).

- KK

atac
10-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Iīm sorry you have to pick up on wiky what the definition of all court tennis is.Itīs not your fault if you havenīt seen former tennis than the current.:(Don't get your drawers in a bunch, I know Rod Laver was an all court player.

Limpinhitter
10-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Don't get your drawers in a bunch, I know Rod Laver was an all court player.

Then you knew the answer to your question before you posted it! 8-) BTW, my definition of an all court player is someone who can play equally well at all areas of the court - at the baseline, transition game and the net. Laver certainly did that, and more.

10-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Don't worry, I'm not so sure they have it right either.
It's not all style player, but all court player.

It means a player can execute effectively from all areas of the court;
ex..he would be comfy at net if drawn in, or
comfy if stuck at the baseline having to rally.
Also means he would be able to build points from all areas of the court.

Limpinhitter
10-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Don't worry, I'm not so sure they have it right either.
It's not all style player, but all court player.

It means a player can execute effectively from all areas of the court;
ex..he would be comfy at net if drawn in, or
comfy if stuck at the baseline having to rally.
Also means he would be able to build points from all areas of the court.

I think you're definition is virtually identical to mine above, in which case, The Rocket was the epitome of an all court player.

Manus Domini
10-29-2011, 01:33 PM
I think you're definition is virtually identical to mine above, in which case, The Rocket was the epitome of an all court player.

It's not just Laver. Weren't a lot the players of his day-and-age epitomizing the all-court player? (Rosewall, for example)

chrischris
10-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Its a player who doesnt cave into only stay passive at base line taking hits or being a punch bag or bully at the net.. a bit like a 3rd party option in a 2 pony race.

10-29-2011, 02:02 PM
It's not just Laver. Weren't a lot the players of his day-and-age epitomizing the all-court player? (Rosewall, for example)

Very true, but Laver is a great example.

Manus Domini
10-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Very true, but Laver is a great example.

Of course.

Though video examples I feel are much more effective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSXETXKi7OI

10-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Of course.

Though video examples I feel are much more effective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSXETXKi7OI

nice vid.....

kiki
10-30-2011, 01:31 AM

He took the all court game into another dimension.He could not only play all court game, but think and plan on an all court dimension.That is more than the regular all court play definition.Not just dominating at the baseline, transition and net.

Stich was also, to use an example, a good all courter, but the difference is that Laver had the ability and talent to think all court tennis all the time and that made often the difference against great players he played.