PDA

View Full Version : bh practice video, advice welcome

yonexpurestorm
10-29-2011, 02:09 PM
ive posted a few of my videos on here and know that my bh is my weakest shot. for the past month or two i have been focusing on making it much less of a liability. when i hit bh's now i dont feel as akward, but consistency during matches is tough. i can get good power behind it on short balls, but my main focus is to have a decent rally bh so ppl cant just attack it all day. one thing i notice during matches is getting my feet set and ready is tough so ive been focusing on that too during my practices. i have a few other videos on these boards so you can find them if you havent seen how bad my bh was before.

here is a video of my latest practice session. any advice on what i should be focusing on is welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x29OS53jw28

HunterST
10-29-2011, 02:25 PM
ive posted a few of my videos on here and know that my bh is my weakest shot. for the past month or two i have been focusing on making it much less of a liability. when i hit bh's now i dont feel as akward, but consistency during matches is tough. i can get good power behind it on short balls, but my main focus is to have a decent rally bh so ppl cant just attack it all day. one thing i notice during matches is getting my feet set and ready is tough so ive been focusing on that too during my practices. i have a few other videos on these boards so you can find them if you havent seen how bad my bh was before.

here is a video of my latest practice session. any advice on what i should be focusing on is welcome.

I didn't realize you had a 2 hander. From what I remember, you had a really good forehand and then did all little chop shots from the backhand side, but maybe I'm confusing you with another poster.

dozu
10-29-2011, 02:37 PM
now isn't that nice... a clip short and sweet, and now there is face value.

why is it so difficult for some people to take their mask off.

MarinaHighTennis
10-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Looking good jamison! However:) When you take back you shouldn't keep the racket head so high which is why it looks like you have a problem with the running backhand. Try rotating more it'll work wonders.

BTW I'm really busy till December 14 but after you want to have a hit? It'll be good to hit against a top 4.5

DavaiMarat
10-29-2011, 04:50 PM

I like it. Simple and direct on the ball.

Not a bad backhand. There are little nuances I would work on to improve it to give you smoother stroke.

1) you very stiff in your take back. I can feel you torqueing the handle between your dominant and non dominant hands. The racquet in the hands in the backswing should be loose. Your robbing yourself of acceleration out of the slot. A slight squeezing of the left hand before contact is all you need . This will also solve your short follow thru as well. The racquet right now is very forced from the backswing to your shortened follow thru. Loosen the grip and let the frame flow around your shoulders.

Don't collapse the arms though tight into the body in the follow thru. Like you current follow through you still want your elbows extended out even in the follow thru. Just let the forehands wrap around to decelerate the racquet. This will still ensure that your hitting thru the contact point and no 'coming off' the ball.

Just some tips. I like your backhand but you will benefit greatly from a smoother motion.

Cheers and keep playing those tourneys!

Mike

HunterST
10-29-2011, 05:26 PM
now isn't that nice... a clip short and sweet, and now there is face value.

why is it so difficult for some people to take their mask off.

How many times do we have to go over this?

Cameras cost money.
Video taping requires time and effort

Why don't you want to play real matches?

Because the entrance fee costs money
traveling to the locations takes time and effort

Magic of tennis
10-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Looking good jamison! However:) When you take back you shouldn't keep the racket head so high which is why it looks like you have a problem with the running backhand. Try rotating more it'll work wonders.

What do you mean "rotating more"? YOu mean rotating more racket or upper body? I have similar 2HBH like him. It will be helpful for me as well. I thought we have to keep racquet head high when we are running toward the ball to get good position.

dozu
10-29-2011, 07:42 PM
How many times do we have to go over this?

Cameras cost money.
Video taping requires time and effort

Why don't you want to play real matches?

Because the entrance fee costs money
traveling to the locations takes time and effort

any sane person can see you are comparing apples and oranges.

Xizel
10-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Haha. It's pretty embarrassing to be a 15 year old with a camera at a popular court recording himself, especially if you're a known regular goer. Still need a tripod.

MarinaHighTennis
10-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Haha. It's pretty embarrassing to be a 15 year old with a camera at a popular court recording himself, especially if you're a known regular goer. Still need a tripod.

Until you become the next YouTube star...

@magic: on my backhand, I either step in(not as much rotation) or if its a heavy or hard shot, I hit with an open stance push off the back foot and rotate onto the other foot. Its like federer on his forehand on a ball that bounces next to him except he brings his left foot back with weight on right foot providing leverage and fast recovery.

arche3
10-30-2011, 03:16 AM

Yeah I agree. It's also hard to ask the guy your going to play. Can I video us? Sounds weird.

dozu
10-30-2011, 04:20 AM
at a minimum, a wall video to show face..... at least for the guys who give tennis advice 24/7.

also Hunter - you already said yours is to 'keep your identity strictly confidential'..... see if you lie, it's hard to keep the story straight.

tennis_balla
10-30-2011, 04:22 AM
I never had a problem video taping myself while hitting with others. As long as you don't waste time setting up the camera its fine and usually the players I've hit with in the past wanted to be videoed as well to see how they are playing.

Anyways, about your backhand the one thing I noticed after watching about 2min of your video is you move side to side pretty well but up (and possibly back) you're not as strong there. If you watch some of your movement and where you strike the ball or letting it bounce twice you're not as quik moving up as you are going to the side.

Now it might just be laziness on your part but some of the shots you're hitting the ball is already dropping. To summarize quickly if its a shorter ball, you wait for the ball to come to you. In a match thats a clear weakness and gets exploited the higher up in level that you go. I'm not talking about being more aggressive and hitting everything on the rise etc I'm talking about being more active with your feet up and back as well as side to side.

Next time you hit with your buddy don't let the ball bounce twice and don't be hitting it when its already dropping.

HunterST
10-30-2011, 06:39 AM
any sane person can see you are comparing apples and oranges.

lol no. They're not apples and oranges. You just say that because you don't want to play a tournament. Please, explain why not wanting to spend money on a camera is a different argument than not wanting to spend money on a tournament. Lets face it, you just know you'll be exposed as a 4.0 or less player if you play a real match and you try to divert attention from yourself with ridiculous 3,000 dollar bet arguments.

It's fine if you don't want to a play a tournament, but stop demanding videos from everyone as if there's no good reason to not upload one.

dozu
10-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Hunter - for you it's really a 'nice to have'.... as you don't go around give advice all day long.

but when people go around painting himself as an expert, then I think he owes the public a face.

that's why I am pressing hard on Limp, as well as some guy who disappeared (forgot his name.... the one says Eastern 1hbh cannot generate spin).

This of course, would not apply to those here who apparently teach for a living, because that by default is a certificate of qualification.... so balla's sig is just extra bonus.

but for the rest of us, I think the default baseline is 3.0, until a face is shown.... so Hunter you see, I don't care if people look at me and say - 'ha, 4.0', because that's the face value I am presenting.

HunterST
10-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Hunter - for you it's really a 'nice to have'.... as you don't go around give advice all day long.

but when people go around painting himself as an expert, then I think he owes the public a face.

that's why I am pressing hard on Limp, as well as some guy who disappeared (forgot his name.... the one says Eastern 1hbh cannot generate spin).

This of course, would not apply to those here who apparently teach for a living, because that by default is a certificate of qualification.... so balla's sig is just extra bonus.

but for the rest of us, I think the default baseline is 3.0, until a face is shown.... so Hunter you see, I don't care if people look at me and say - 'ha, 4.0', because that's the face value I am presenting.

That's more reasonable. I've always said that if someone claims they're a great player or have some amazing abilities on the forum to prove that their opinions/advice are more valuable than other posters', then they need to provide some evidence. I suppose you could say that if a poster offers a ton of advice they are implying a depth of knowledge. However, everyone is free to offer their opinion, even if they're not great players. So, if a poster offers advice but is upfront about their level, I don't think a video or USTA results need to be provided.

rdis10093
10-30-2011, 10:54 AM
looks like a sharapova/del potro bh. The way the takeback is.

dozu
10-30-2011, 11:01 AM
That's more reasonable. I've always said that if someone claims they're a great player or have some amazing abilities on the forum to prove that their opinions/advice are more valuable than other posters', then they need to provide some evidence. I suppose you could say that if a poster offers a ton of advice they are implying a depth of knowledge. However, everyone is free to offer their opinion, even if they're not great players. So, if a poster offers advice but is upfront about their level, I don't think a video or USTA results need to be provided.

on paper, yes, everybody is entitled to unlimited opinions.

but if there is some sort of goal (I thought there was) for beginners who can't afford lessons to benefit from this board, then there is certainly a rationale to filter out unqualified opinions.

it's all about the kids, Hunter, the kids.

yonexpurestorm
10-30-2011, 12:37 PM
i used to only have a 1hbh slice shot. if you look at my youtube channel you can see my bh back in may in that usc tournament i played. ive been working on this bh for about 3 months and started from scratch. watched a bunch of youtube vids and stuff. i feel its coming along nicely, it just needs more consistency.

marina, im def down to hit when u have time. i work M-F so i can only hit at 6pm or after on weekdays. weekends i normally have time in the morning. shoot me an email when ur done with the semester.

MarinaHighTennis
10-30-2011, 04:43 PM
i used to only have a 1hbh slice shot. if you look at my youtube channel you can see my bh back in may in that usc tournament i played. ive been working on this bh for about 3 months and started from scratch. watched a bunch of youtube vids and stuff. i feel its coming along nicely, it just needs more consistency.

marina, im def down to hit when u have time. i work M-F so i can only hit at 6pm or after on weekdays. weekends i normally have time in the morning. shoot me an email when ur done with the semester.
cool

about the raising the racket too much... i know some pros do that but it is harder to control compared to taking it down low and already ready. Don't bend your arm so much. But emulate Murray's backhand
go to 1:40 on first vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71j8AaqnVlM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1yt7GCnazs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YerH0-8n_0w&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNFxnShJ9o&feature=related

Manus Domini
10-30-2011, 05:39 PM

What 4.0 doesn't know how to volley a shot hit with topspin?

Heck, even 3.0 hacks like me know how to do that.

Nellie
10-31-2011, 07:51 AM
Good left arm extension. However, on low shots, you have too much bending at the waist on lower shots and no knee bend. So you are scooping up the low ball. You can imagine if you hit this form while running, the timing is going to be really off.

DavaiMarat
10-31-2011, 08:25 AM

Wow nice stroke for 3 months. It certainly is a drive and what you want is a heavy but safe shot. As I mentioned before, loosening up the wrists allow you to hit with a little spin for safety.

Also another tip that will help is aiming for the 10' oclock on the ball. Draw a clock around a ball....then rotate it 90 degrees to the left on the z-axis. Now the clock is perpendicular to you with 3 oclock the furthest and 9 oclock the closest. You goal is to hit the ball at 10 oclock not 9 oclock. I know you think you'll drive it into the ground but to actually hit that part of the ball you have to brush up and lift. Also hitting that part of the ball, w.r.t Balla suggestion, will be easier to hit on the rise which will help you take the ball earlier and rob time from your opponent.

Love your enthusiasm dude. Keep rocking.