PDA

View Full Version : The backhand direction

nhat8121
10-29-2011, 08:53 PM
does it come down to the point of contact? hit late = down the line, early = cross court?

or you have to position your body for those shots with the same contact point?

Xizel
10-29-2011, 08:59 PM
does it come down to the point of contact? hit late = down the line, early = cross court?

That's the basis for every shot where there's an incoming ball. However, one guy could just lay back his wrist to go inside out on the forehand, but I personally need to over-rotate my shoulders to get the timing right, but it's still basically the timing of the contact point.

For my one handed backhand, I over-rotate and move closer to the ball, so I can hit the inside (DTL) part of the ball rather than the outside (CC) part.

Magic of tennis
10-30-2011, 03:06 PM

Yes somewhat right. when you hit late it will go down the line or OUT, early means cross court or FLY away.
IMHO, you have to have same contact point but just change direction to make the ball go to the direction you want to send. You shouldn't make late or early contact point to change direction. That's not the way to change direction.