PDA

View Full Version : A-class tournament 2nd round 14.10-16.10 1 part

Failed
10-30-2011, 06:48 AM
A-class singles part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99yCp-uJvoU)
A-class singles part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4bBKqFtfOw)
A-class singles part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTeLJDy9vmo)

Playing versus A-ranked player in an A-class tournament. Won my first match 6-1, 6-2. Lost the one in the video 5-7, 2-6(had a set point put smashed long >_<). I will upload continuation parts to this video as they are done processing.

Some things I know I need to work on:

Too long backswing on my forehand, no need to tell me that!

Cheers.

fruitytennis1
10-30-2011, 07:08 AM
Couple things to say
Your 2nd serve looked pretty solid
It looked like you were the stronger player in the vid
You can definitively go for more on the fh..(Maybe go for some IO fhs to the persons bh too)
I think it would be worth it to be a step or 2 closer while returning his 1st serve...but that is up to you
EDIT:You are the person who serves first right?

dozu
10-30-2011, 07:20 AM
some good cattle we definitely need here these days, among all the flying hats.

are you the one on the near side at the beginning?

Failed
10-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Couple things to say
Your 2nd serve looked pretty solid
It looked like you were the stronger player in the vid
You can definitively go for more on the fh..(Maybe go for some IO fhs to the persons bh too)
I think it would be worth it to be a step or 2 closer while returning his 1st serve...but that is up to you
EDIT:You are the person who serves first right?

Yeah :) I'm the one to serve first.

Failed
10-30-2011, 07:26 AM
some good cattle we definitely need here these days, among all the flying hats.

are you the one on the near side at the beginning?

Yeah, that's me

dozu
10-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Yeah, that's me

1 impression I had was, you hit most of the balls down the middle, especially in the beginning.

was that a conscious decision? I'd think guy at your level would look to open things up sooner in a rally.

Failed
10-30-2011, 07:32 AM
1 impression I had was, you hit most of the balls down the middle, especially in the beginning.

was that a conscious decision? I'd think guy at your level would look to open things up sooner in a rally.

Just a bit nervous, cuz the other guy is way up in the rankings compared to me + hadn't played tournaments for two months.

arche3
10-30-2011, 07:54 AM
I love the video angle. I can see where he ball goes and net clearance. All tt videos should be shot from this vantage point.

Up&comer
10-30-2011, 08:55 AM
I think you should have a slightly more aggressive mentality. You didn't seem to be trying to take control of the point except when you went to net. I would work on developing the good ol' side to side rhythm. It helps open up the court and makes being aggressive alot easier.

Failed
10-30-2011, 11:00 AM
I think you should have a slightly more aggressive mentality. You didn't seem to be trying to take control of the point except when you went to net. I would work on developing the good ol' side to side rhythm. It helps open up the court and makes being aggressive alot easier.

True, I am working on it :)!

RoddickAce
10-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Nice match!

Just a random observation, I felt like when you attacked his forehand and went to net, his forehand would breakdown.

HunterST
10-30-2011, 11:25 AM
what level does "A" translate to in USTA?

RoddickAce
10-30-2011, 11:37 AM

I'm not sure where the OP is from, but here, A is 5.0.

dozu
10-30-2011, 11:49 AM
the quality of the tennis certainly looks like 5.0

Torres
10-30-2011, 01:11 PM

Difficult to make a direct comparison as European competition is setup differently, and I think this poster is also a junior which makes comparison with adults a bit more complicated. That said, I would have thought this would be around 5.0 level.

Failed
10-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Added the other parts of the singles

Torres
10-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Looks like you ran out of ideas in that 2nd set? Alot of your approach shots seemed kinda short.

Your game also seems to based around keep the ball in play, high percentages and trying to pressure your opponent, which is fair enough but that's not really going to bother a higher level player. Have you found that the UE count creeps up when you start flattening the ball out and start hitting through the court more aggressively? Your opponent was solid - would have been a frustrating and difficult player to play against.

dozu
10-30-2011, 03:53 PM
2 more observations -

1) on your serve - it's easy to read, it took me 5 minutes to figure out your motion between a kick and a slice... and I can read where you are gonna serve it before you make contact.... seems your opp read it very well also.

2) on your opponent, on high loop balls to his bh, he never take it early (maybe he can't?) and always back pedal 6-8 feet to let it drop.... I'd send a high looper there and sneak in. You did a few times, but seems you can really get under his skin with this pattern.

by the way, my wrist hurts from looking your W grip FH lol.

Failed
10-31-2011, 12:04 PM
2 more observations -

1) on your serve - it's easy to read, it took me 5 minutes to figure out your motion between a kick and a slice... and I can read where you are gonna serve it before you make contact.... seems your opp read it very well also.

2) on your opponent, on high loop balls to his bh, he never take it early (maybe he can't?) and always back pedal 6-8 feet to let it drop.... I'd send a high looper there and sneak in. You did a few times, but seems you can really get under his skin with this pattern.

by the way, my wrist hurts from looking your W grip FH lol.

Second one is a good point :) Should do that more!

DavaiMarat
11-01-2011, 11:39 AM
A-class singles part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99yCp-uJvoU)
A-class singles part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4bBKqFtfOw)
A-class singles part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTeLJDy9vmo)

Playing versus A-ranked player in an A-class tournament. Won my first match 6-1, 6-2. Lost the one in the video 5-7, 2-6(had a set point put smashed long >_<). I will upload continuation parts to this video as they are done processing.

Some things I know I need to work on:

Too long backswing on my forehand, no need to tell me that!

Cheers.

Let me start off by saying your better then 95% of people on this board. Smooth strokes, good movement, good anticipation. Tactically, a little iffy, the guy you were playing didn't have as big groundies as you but he was patient and knew when to pick his spots. His serve was very good too. A good scrambler for sure. You were toe to toe. Well done. You can beat this player just a matter of better use of patterns.

Aye with your forehand. It's very unique. Almost Alberto Berasategui, you hit your forehand and backhand on the same side the racquet. It seems to work for you. With that extreme of a grip you have to be very careful where your racquet face is at all times hence you mistime and plow the ball into the net. In several rallies you had to measure it (slow it down) to make sure you were getting good wood. Great for high shots but it can be exploited.

For example, if I was playing you, I would play you deep on the BH and then slice low and short to your forehand excessively. Most of the time you'd be
scrambling foreward and with your extreme grip you'd have to be there in plenty of time not to hit up on it. I would be waiting for you 2 feet inside the service line.

I'm not sure what the solution is but it's something to be aware of.