PDA

View Full Version : Best comic ever?

Cesc Fabregas
10-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Bill Hicks for me. He was a perceptive observer and commentator on sexual and religious bigotry and was it his best exposing the petty hypocrisies of American society such as American Bible belt morality, war on drugs and war on terror. Brilliant comic.

jamesblakefan#1
10-30-2011, 09:47 AM
My favorite all time is Chappelle. When you ask comics, most say Carlin, Pryor, and Murphy are the big influences. Write in vote for Patrice O'Neal as the most underrated great comic.

Agent Orynge
10-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Calvin and Hobbes.

mikeler
10-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Chris Rock.

jamesblakefan#1
10-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Chris Rock.

Can't believe I forgot about him. In my top 3 of all time.

jmverdugo
10-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Calvin and Hobbes.

ths is what came to my mind ...

r2473
10-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Djokovic

10noles

sphinx780
10-30-2011, 11:10 AM
I would have said farside or calvin and hobbes.

I'd put Steven Wright up there.

Bhagi Katbamna
10-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Sam Kinison.
Everyone else nowadays seems a eunuch by comparision. Look at these bits about Aid to Africa, Rock Hudson, and Homosexual Necrophiliacs and tell me if anyone has the guts to do this now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylyts7L6Hwg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=876pmxUFYmY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrNa8EAjgCA&feature=related

It's easy to joke about the bible belt etc because it is politically correct.

Cesc Fabregas
10-30-2011, 11:28 AM
It amazes me how little Americans know of Hick's work, he's way more popular in the UK.

El Diablo
10-30-2011, 12:47 PM
^^ but even in a poll taken in the UK, he was only voted fourth best stand-up comic, making him the Andy Murray of comedians.

Up&comer
10-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Bhagi, Daniel Tosh has some pretty messed up comedy. You have to watch his standup bacause his show isn't that bad.

ollinger
10-30-2011, 01:09 PM
I've seen a good amount of Hicks' routines, found that like many whose comedy is broadly political, he's amusing but not extremely funny. Comedy has to hit a little closer to home and every day life than, say, his stuff on the Kennedy assassination, to be really funny.

Feņa14
10-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Ahh, I think everyone has favourites based on their own humour.

For me, it depends what mood i'm in. Lee Mack is pretty mainstream, but everything i've seen him do has been excellent. Not Going Out is a really underrated show, and his stand up and appearances of quiz shows and the like have always been very good. My girlfriend is a big fan of Tim Vine and they work together quite a bit, but it's Lee Mack for me. He's very sharp and quick witted, which is easy to relate to.

rdis10093
10-30-2011, 01:34 PM
tosh is trash, he just rips on other people. does not take of lot of skill to be a jerk. I have a friend who went to one of his tours, and she said that he was not a nice guy

Ash_Smith
10-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Eddie Izzard - genius!

cheers

Or maybe Stewart Lee!

chrischris
10-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Dave Allen :)

He was money in the bank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5y_gE1Rb1Y&feature=related

ARIARAIDEN
10-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Seth Macfarlane

SempreSami
10-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Dylan Moran

Rui
10-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Some good ones are Cosby and Diller and Pryor.

But, Sam Kinison had me in stitches.

Cesc Fabregas
10-30-2011, 03:13 PM
I've seen a good amount of Hicks' routines, found that like many whose comedy is broadly political, he's amusing but not extremely funny. Comedy has to hit a little closer to home and every day life than, say, his stuff on the Kennedy assassination, to be really funny.

His rants on the music industry are hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkA6zugNMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJOBE2DcOHM

Cindysphinx
10-30-2011, 03:50 PM
When we go on car trips, we listen to standup.

Brian Regan

Mike burbiglia

Ellen Degeneris

Lewis black

Crazy man
10-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Best comic ever, probably DC comics.

My favourite commedian is Billy Connolly.

Tammo
10-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes are my top 2. I like cats but that isn't why I picked them :)

Agent Orynge
10-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes are my top 2. I like cats but that isn't why I picked them :)

Hobbes would be offended to hear you refer to him as a simple 'cat.' I believe his proper title his 'homicidal psycho jungle cat.'

GS
10-31-2011, 06:40 AM
Wow---no one's mentioned Robin Williams yet?

ollinger
10-31-2011, 07:42 AM
Saw Steven Wright recently, the King of surreal comedy, still find him hilarious.

Kevin T
10-31-2011, 07:47 AM
Saw Steven Wright recently, the King of surreal comedy, still find him hilarious.

Me too. Love the guy. Also agree with GS that old school Robin Williams was an f-ing riot. I'm also a big fan of Lewis Black, Dave Attell and Sam Kinison.

chollyred
10-31-2011, 07:55 AM
Milton Berle, Bill Cosby, Abbot & Costello.

All were absolute comedic geniuses without the vulgarity or snarkiness.

Comic strips?

Calvin & Hobbes, The Farside, and Dilbert.

Cindysphinx
10-31-2011, 08:04 AM
On a recent car trip, I encouraged the children -- OK, forced the children -- to listen to vintage Bill Cosby.

Goodness, that stuff has aged well! They absolutely loved it. The man was a genius. I saw "was" because my parents went to see him a few years ago and said he was dreadful.

thug the bunny
10-31-2011, 08:10 AM
I agree that Tosh is mainly just a quick-witted *****hole.

For present day, Brian Regan. "...where are we goin Thunder?"

For old school, Robin Williams.

jamesblakefan#1
10-31-2011, 08:17 AM
RE: Tosh's perceived a-holishness - aren't most of these guys a-holes in real life though? Most comedians get their humor from life's misfortunes. Tosh is just more up front about it.

"Completely Serious" was a great special.

Breaker
10-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Hicks to me is a less funny Carlin, they can both say the same things but the way Carlin delivered his rants was much funnier.

Chappelle and Louis C.K are the two who make me laugh the most so have to go with one of them. I'm shocked Louis wasn't brought up before actually!

chrischris
10-31-2011, 08:34 AM
Hicks was awesome.

jonnythan
10-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Carlin. End of.

Cesc Fabregas
10-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Hicks to me is a less funny Carlin, they can both say the same things but the way Carlin delivered his rants was much funnier.

Chappelle and Louis C.K are the two who make me laugh the most so have to go with one of them. I'm shocked Louis wasn't brought up before actually!

Nah, Hick's had better rants and more memorable sketches, play from your heart, positive LSD story, Goatboy, pick up the gun etc.

Kevin T
10-31-2011, 12:11 PM
RE: Tosh's perceived a-holishness - aren't most of these guys a-holes in real life though? Most comedians get their humor from life's misfortunes. Tosh is just more up front about it.

"Completely Serious" was a great special.

I've heard the opposite. Some of the guys from 'The Kids in the Hall' were on a local radio show last week. They said comedy is unlike a lot of show biz professions because they don't "eat their young"; apparently there's a lot of camaraderie among comedians and the established guys tend to help the up and comers.

jamesblakefan#1
10-31-2011, 12:20 PM
I've heard the opposite. Some of the guys from 'The Kids in the Hall' were on a local radio show last week. They said comedy is unlike a lot of show biz professions because they don't "eat their young"; apparently there's a lot of camaraderie among comedians and the established guys tend to help the up and comers.

I guess it depends on where you come from. Kids in the Hall - they're Canadian, right? I'm guessing it's a lot nicer up there. But I've heard stories from the NY comedy scene, where guys like Chappelle, Kevin Hart, Colin Quinn, among others, come from, and it's dog eat dog between the comedians. They rag on each other all the time. I don't think any of them outwardly wish for each other to fail, but it's not exactly kindergarden friendliness either.

Most great comedians are or were tortured souls to an extent - from Pryor's multiple divorces and drug problems (which he made fun of brilliantly in his standup), to Robin Williams' drug habits in his younger years, the list goes on. I'm not saying all of them are that way, but a good portion of them are, and a good portion of the great ones are.

chrischris
10-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Richard Nixon wasnt bad.

Nuke
10-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Carlin, Emo Phillips, Stephen Wright, Lewis Black, Demetri Martin.

Kevin T
10-31-2011, 12:51 PM
I guess it depends on where you come from. Kids in the Hall - they're Canadian, right? I'm guessing it's a lot nicer up there. But I've heard stories from the NY comedy scene, where guys like Chappelle, Kevin Hart, Colin Quinn, among others, come from, and it's dog eat dog between the comedians. They rag on each other all the time. I don't think any of them outwardly wish for each other to fail, but it's not exactly kindergarden friendliness either.

Most great comedians are or were tortured souls to an extent - from Pryor's multiple divorces and drug problems (which he made fun of brilliantly in his standup), to Robin Williams' drug habits in his younger years, the list goes on. I'm not saying all of them are that way, but a good portion of them are, and a good portion of the great ones are.

Yes, they're Canadian. But I heard an interview with Dave Attell a few weeks ago on the same radio show and he said pretty much the same thing. He came up in NYC and mentioned how Jon Stewart and Colin Quinn, among others, were always very supportive and helped him break into more popular venues and TV. He said the low and mid level guys always travel together, usually sharing motel rooms and when in town for an extended stay, sharing a condo/townhouse. He had a lot of very funny stories about bunking with fellow comedians.

jaggy
10-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Carlin Connolly and dave Allen as mentioned. I also think Phil Silvers was a genius as was Tommy Cooper.

hollywood9826
11-01-2011, 06:21 AM
I was ready to say Preacher was the best comic ever, but noticed you were talking about stand up.

Chris Rock is number one for me. Carlin is up there, but his stuff doesnt quite get me laughing like Rock does.

There is a guy here around Baltimore named Mickey Cucchiella who is freakin hilarious. He will never make it mainstream becuase his stuff is too racially intense for the masses.

Short Italian guys cant talk about Black people and Jewish people.

tennytive
11-02-2011, 05:56 AM
Steven Wright once hosted a self help seminar on Chronic Fatigue.

But I was too tired to go.

JohnnyCracker
11-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Russell Peters is pretty funny :)

Bhagi Katbamna
11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Russell Peters is pretty funny :)

The one set he had where he wore a white shirt and blue jeans was some of the funniest bits I've ever seen.
His later stuff isn't as funny.

Joe Pike
11-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Bill Hicks for me. He was a perceptive observer and commentator on sexual and religious bigotry and was it his best exposing the petty hypocrisies of American society such as American Bible belt morality, war on drugs and war on terror. Brilliant comic.

Tintin, easily!

chrischris
11-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Greenspam :)

Cesc Fabregas
12-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Just got into this guy Doug Stanhope. He's a bit like Bill Hicks but isn't quite as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsPDT5qHtZ4

hebrewhammer
12-16-2011, 10:46 PM
No love for my man Pablo Fransisco? Jim Gaffigan?

Kobble
12-17-2011, 02:17 AM
In no order.

Rodney Dangerfield
Damon Wayans
Richard Pryor

Big_Dangerous
12-17-2011, 03:12 AM
I would have said farside or calvin and hobbes.

I'd put Steven Wright up there.

I spilled spot remover on my dog, and now he's gone!

Meaghan
12-17-2011, 03:20 AM
Eddie Izzard's all round brilliance.

but at the mo its always good to see Frankie Boyle dark overtones and the hilarious Micky Flanagan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-bqJbC2fW4

Up&comer
12-17-2011, 04:33 AM
No love for my man Pablo Fransisco? Jim Gaffigan?

I like my sandwich like my martini...with an olive. I'd like a balogni sandwich. Dirty.

That and his hot pocket routine kill me.

Ross K
12-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Bill Hicks, WC Fields, Tony Hancock, anything by the Monty Python team (I know it doesn't quite fit the OP's description), very early Eddie Murphy... to name but a few.

ttbrowne
12-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Lenny Bruce is the Godfather of all comics.
Richard Pryor pushed it even farther.
Sam Kinison even farther!

volleygirl
12-17-2011, 06:21 PM

Agree, Hicks just isnt in the category os so many others.

Pryor, Dangerfield, and Kinison tops for me

The Wreck
12-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Louis CK is without a doubt the greatest comedian of this generation.

adamX012
12-17-2011, 07:46 PM
I don't have an exact comic to worship for ...

I like this show a lot -america's funniest home video show

I watched that show often when I get back home from my work..

It really lights up my night before bedtime while enjoy a glass of wine...

Steve Huff
12-18-2011, 12:25 PM
I, too, like Steven Wright. Also like Louis CK. Rodney Dangerfield was funny in his prime.

onehandbh
12-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Though he wasn't trying to be funny...
George W. Bush

The guy said some of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard come out
of a president's mouth. Just utterly astounding.

I'd love to see a speech debate between W and Sarah Palin.

volleygirl
12-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Though he wasn't trying to be funny...
George W. Bush

The guy said some of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard come out
of a president's mouth. Just utterly astounding.

I'd love to see a speech debate between W and Sarah Palin.

Yea but W wasnt trying to be funny. I didnt think any Prez would be as inept as W but obama has made a good case to overtake him.

onehandbh
12-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Yea but W wasnt trying to be funny. I didnt think any Prez would be as inept as W but obama has made a good case to overtake him.

No comparison between W and Obama. W provided countless comedic
soundbites/clips for 8 years. He was like a comedic idiot savant.

onehandbh
12-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Just typing in "George W Bush" on youtube automatically brings up
some interesting search results.

HunterST
12-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Louis CK ! C'mon people.

I agree with a lot of the others like Hicks, Carlin, Chappelle too.

hollywood9826
12-19-2011, 05:41 AM
Louis CK ! C'mon people.

I agree with a lot of the others like Hicks, Carlin, Chappelle too.

Louis is the man right now. He hasnt maintained top status long enough to yet be in the all time discussion IMO.

Also Eddie Murphy in the early 80's was unstoppable. Recent Eddie has overshadowed how great he was.

HunterST
12-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Louis is the man right now. He hasnt maintained top status long enough to yet be in the all time discussion IMO.

Also Eddie Murphy in the early 80's was unstoppable. Recent Eddie has overshadowed how great he was.

Oh, yeah I'd agree if we're talking about most influential/successful of all time. I thought it was just about our favorites.

thug the bunny
12-19-2011, 09:03 AM

You kidding?! W was dumb as a rock and couldn't speak proper English. Obama is smart and very articulate; he just makes bad policy.

grimmbomb21
12-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Dave Chappelle. The Rick James and Prince skits from his show are priceless.

*breaksracquet
12-20-2011, 04:10 PM
hedberg, Galifianakis, Patton oswald (his take on 80's metal made me cry while I laughed), and Jimmy Norton.

my faves at the moment...

I misunderstood the thread, best and first comic I ever saw (when I was 4), Sam Kinison.

"C'MERE!! YOU SEE THIS?!? YOU SEE THIS?!? THIS IS SAND! YOU KNOW WHAT IT'S GONNA BE A THOUSAND YEARS FROM NOW? IT'S GONNA BE F@$KING SAND!!! OOOOOHHHHH OOOOOOHHHH OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!! MOVE WHERE THE FOOD IS!!!!!"

made me pee my pants funny. still holds up today IMO.

onehandbh
12-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Dave Chappelle. The Rick James and Prince skits from his show are priceless.

Agreed. Chappelle is great. In the Prince sketch, Charlie Murphy was the
glue, however, that made it all work.

hebrewhammer
12-21-2011, 12:34 PM
you know what, forget about the gaffigan/fransisco comment i made.......... STEVE MARTIN. soooo funny

onehandbh
12-21-2011, 01:20 PM
you know what, forget about the gaffigan/fransisco comment i made.......... STEVE MARTIN. soooo funny
Steve Martin is definitely up there. I met him once a few years ago at a
pilot presentation. Very humble and nice guy.

snoopy
12-21-2011, 02:23 PM
You kidding?! W was dumb as a rock and couldn't speak proper English. Obama is smart and very articulate; he just makes bad policy.

Obama refuses to release his college transcripts. If he got straight As do you think he would have released them? Obama has made plenty of his own gaffes such as saying there were 57 states. While he's good at delivering a speech, he's reading it off of a teleprompter. He's not necessarily good at thinking on his feet, that would be a sign of intelligence.

I think the idea that Obama is some sort of genius is pure political hype.

Clinton was really smart. Bush's malapropisms are hilarious.

I Heart Thomas Muster
12-21-2011, 02:39 PM
My personal favorite is Norm MacDonald and just about anyone who appeared on Mr. Show.

At the ESPN ESPY awards:

"And there's Charles Woodson! How about that, uh? What a season he had. Great, man, he- he became the first defensive player to win the Heisman trophy. And congratulations Charles. That is something that no one can ever take away from you. Unless you kill your wife and waiter, in which case ...all bets are off.''

Speaking at the White House Correspondence Dinner, addressing President Clinton:

''And of course, it was very inspiring to see President Clinton up here on crutches making a speech. I mean, I thought that was just, uh, amazing. You know? Uh, I mean, it's been difficult for the president, you know? He can't jog now, and, uh, he needs help getting around. And he still, you know he still, uh, occasionally suffers great pain, you know? On the upside, you got your medical marijuana. So that's, uh,... y'know?... (audience laughter) ... You MUST inhale sir. It's the only way you're gonna get better.''