PDA

View Full Version : How do you attack high balls on 2HBH

Magic of tennis
10-30-2011, 11:39 PM
I always have problem to attack high balls on 2HBH. I know someone here posted high balls on FH. For me, FH is easier to attck high balls. But 2HBH has been a big problem to attack high balls. All I can do is just returning it with loopy balls or sending it to deep end. I never been able to attack with power shot. Does anyone know how to attack these high balls with 2HBH?
Thanks

DavaiMarat
10-31-2011, 12:23 AM
I always have problem to attack high balls on 2HBH. I know someone here posted high balls on FH. For me, FH is easier to attck high balls. But 2HBH has been a big problem to attack high balls. All I can do is just returning it with loopy balls or sending it to deep end. I never been able to attack with power shot. Does anyone know how to attack these high balls with 2HBH?
Thanks

Never an easy shot. Ask any pro. To have the freedom of motion to accelerate the frame above your shoulders requires both flexibility and upper body strength. Monica Seles was someone who exclude at this.

Two better ways to approach this.

Hit it on the rise. Rarely do pros let the bell get above their chest on a groundstroke. The know it's out of their power zone.

Mule kick 2hbh. Safin was the true innovator ( those rios may have pioneered it Marat was the master of it.). Lock and roll has a wonderful video tutorial on this shot. Essentially it brings your core higher so you can hit harder meanwhile counterbalancing with a left leg kick.

Ok if you must really hit a high drive, theres only one thing I can tell you. PR
EPARE HIGH. Your frame is coming straight thru the ball. There's no sense of starting the racquet low. Still try to close the racquet face in the follow thru, you'll have a lower tendency to send it into orbit.

Better to hit it lower remember though!

Orion3
10-31-2011, 01:09 AM
Never an easy shot. Ask any pro. To have the freedom of motion to accelerate the frame above your shoulders requires both flexibility and upper body strength. Monica Seles was someone who exclude at this.

Hit it on the rise. Rarely do pros let the bell get above their chest on a groundstroke. The know it's out of their power zone.

Mule kick 2hbh. Safin was the true innovator ( those rios may have pioneered it Marat was the master of it.). Lock and roll has a wonderful video tutorial on this shot. Essentially it brings your core higher so you can hit harder meanwhile counterbalancing with a left leg kick.

Ok if you must really hit a high drive, theres only one thing I can tell you. PR
EPARE HIGH. Your frame is coming straight thru the ball. There's no sense of starting the racquet low. Still try to close the racquet face in the follow thru, you'll have a lower tendency to send it into orbit.

Great advice.

The only other thing that springs to mind (and what I try to do) is to hit more with my left hand; a bit like a 2-handed mirror of the high forehand I hit. Infront of my body with a large amount of sidespin.

vincent_tennis
10-31-2011, 01:34 AM
Thanks

JACK KNIFEEE :D

Chyeaah
10-31-2011, 04:44 AM
If its a high ball, eg lob that goes very deep. then im pretty sure you have time to do an inside out. If you cant then, i dont know i usually just switch to a one handed and lob it back in so i can recover.

goran_ace
10-31-2011, 07:12 AM
in addition to the options already mentioned, you could also step in and take a high backhand volley or swinging volley from midcourt and follow it in. when you think about 'attacking' that ball, that doesn't mean you have to get a clean winner off of it. with a midcourt volley you are taking time away from your opponent so focus on placement/depth on that shot and make him have to hit that next shot on the run.

Nellie
10-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Take the racquet back high and swing level - no need to hit much topspin - gravity will bring the ball down. You may even be able to hit slightly down at the ball.

What won't work is to loop the racquet low, and then swing way up around your head

thug the bunny
10-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks MoT for starting this thread, as this is the weakest shot in my bag. Some good ideas posted here. Can't wait to give these a try.

DavaiMarat
10-31-2011, 09:10 AM

I love it how Apple products change your text to the point where I'd rather live with the spelling errors....

sphinx780
10-31-2011, 09:50 AM
Some really good tips here and I think that the best one for any person is going to be individual preference.

If you're strong enough another consideration it to really use the wrists through that ball to keep the racket accelerating since you're most likely not going to get your core/arm movement through the ball fast enough on it's own.

The key with this is to make sure you're contacting out in front of you with the take back high and timing it right. When things are grooving, this is my preferred shot, when my timing is not quite there, I go to the approach Goran_ace mentioned. Take the volley style slice and come in behind it or lead your opponent into a better pattern.

Magic of tennis
10-31-2011, 09:09 PM
That is all great advice. Thank you guys

kimbahpnam
11-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Nalbandian demonstration...on a return of serve no less. I see him do it a lot in matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96-LeSaXWrc

Magic of tennis
11-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Nalbandian demonstration...on a return of serve no less. I see him do it a lot in matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96-LeSaXWrc

That is a good video. The ball is coming in shoulder height or higher and he attacks amazingly.

DavaiMarat
11-01-2011, 12:21 PM
That's the Mule Kick...check out L&R website for a good tutorial.

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Like any shots, hit it on the raise if you can.

dcdoorknob
11-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm only a 3.5 but I feel like I deal with a high backhand (2hbh) better than most people at my level and maybe 4.0, and for me the key is just to use a ton of left hand and drive through it. High take-back too.

rdis10093
11-01-2011, 12:32 PM
that was sick by nalbandian

Larrysümmers
11-01-2011, 12:34 PM
im a smaller dude at about 5'10 and when i see a bh thats going to be high, i like to step in and take it about shoulder height, or higher, and drive it. when i hit it tho, i am almost hitting on top of the ball and drive it down and cross court. you have to be inside the court or you will, or at least i do, drive it right into the net

thug the bunny
11-02-2011, 07:25 AM
I have always loved that mule-kick BH. I'm guessing it's one of the harder shots in tennis. Does it just happen if you go airborn for a 2HBH? I can jump hit a decent TS FH and get on top of the ball but I have no idea what my feet are doing at that point. Is it the same for the mule-kick?

SystemicAnomaly
11-02-2011, 03:29 PM

Mule kick 2hbh. Safin was the true innovator ( those Rios may have pioneered it Marat was the master of it.). Lock and roll has a wonderful video tutorial on this shot...

Actually, Michael Chang brought the jumping BH to pro tennis in the late 80s -- about 5-6 years before Rios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Chang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mbAU81fWac

Limpinhitter
11-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks

I generally take high balls to the backhand with a 1hb slice, especially if I'm on the run. If I can step in, I bend my right elbow down (I'm a righty) and lift my left elbow up so that it's pointing back, and lean in to the shot. It may be hard to picture. You're just gonna have to take a few practice swings and it will become apparent. Don't try to kill it, stay loose, relaxed, let the racquet do the work and make clean contact.

Chyeaah
11-03-2011, 03:26 AM
Lock and Roll,scissor kick 2 handed backhand.