PDA

View Full Version : Oenophile's thread!

thug the bunny
10-31-2011, 09:11 AM
There's a very popular beer thread on TT, so there has to be a wine-lover's thread to balance things.

Ah, wine. Liquid love. Perfection through fermentation. A food, a medicine, a drug, an art.

Post your fav's, bargains, hints, rants, food pairings, or anything else related to the unique beverage of Bacchus.

Now that the weather has turned cooler, I think maybe tonight I'll fork out some cash and get a nice Barolo...anyone have some recommendations on a good label around $30?

ollinger
10-31-2011, 09:22 AM
Attention sauternes lovers: r2473 tells me Chateau D'Yquem amazing with nachos (he doesn't care for foie gras).

dParis
10-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Target Chardonnay-in-a-box is surprisingly good.

I'm serious.

thug the bunny
10-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Attention sauternes lovers: r2473 tells me Chateau D'Yquem amazing with nachos (he doesn't care for foie gras).

How about hot dogs?

rdis10093
10-31-2011, 09:51 AM
can't go wrong with a red spanish sangria

ollinger
10-31-2011, 09:54 AM
With hot dogs? The Antinori Tignanello 2005, best wine I've had in recent memory. About $75.

SoBad
10-31-2011, 07:52 PM
The places in the city have a good selection, thanks to the knowledgeable sommeliers and sophisticated population here who get the best from Europe. I imagine the west coast is flooded with subpar local products and quality imports are limited and overpriced due to the corrupt regulators bribed by the local industry lobby.

Agent Orynge
10-31-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm an ovinophile. Is that close enough?

Ross K
10-31-2011, 10:12 PM
I like my wine in the same way I like my woman... full bodied, dark and rich :) ... can't beat a decent Rioja, that's for sure.:wink:

Bartelby
10-31-2011, 10:25 PM
I like my wine in the same way I like my woman .. cheap, nasty and disposable.

albino smurf
11-01-2011, 04:49 AM
I got really into the Tavel Roses when I was in France. Now that the weather is getting cooler I'm digging spicy Spanish reds.

thug the bunny
11-01-2011, 05:48 AM
With hot dogs? The Antinori Tignanello 2005, best wine I've had in recent memory. About $75.

Antinori is a great venerable label. Their chianti riserva is always outstanding, although always pricey.

I'll have to look that one up.

I like my wine in the same way I like my woman .. cheap, nasty and disposable.

I think I might have met a few of them when I was younger.

Now that the weather is getting cooler I'm digging spicy Spanish reds.

I have recently (past couple years) been discovering spanish reds beyond just their Riojas. There are some very decent well crafted bargains out there. Although I'm sure any Portugese national would protest my lumping it in with the Spanish inference, I found a nice Portugese red blend called 'Fado' for $8 that can't be beat for the money...

thug the bunny
11-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Thanks Google. OK, close enough. So, what are your fav's...Scottish, New Zealand? Sheared or hirsuite? Just wear protection man...

FloridaAG
11-01-2011, 01:08 PM
There's a very popular beer thread on TT, so there has to be a wine-lover's thread to balance things.

Ah, wine. Liquid love. Perfection through fermentation. A food, a medicine, a drug, an art.

Post your fav's, bargains, hints, rants, food pairings, or anything else related to the unique beverage of Bacchus.

Now that the weather has turned cooler, I think maybe tonight I'll fork out some cash and get a nice Barolo...anyone have some recommendations on a good label around $30?

Most Barolos cost far in excess of $30 - you would be better served looking for a Sandrone, Scavino, La Spinetta or Vietti Barbera at that price (or to another region) -

I have over 4,000 posts in some wine forums, if you want to kill more time head to forums at WineSpectator.com, Wine Berserkers or Ebob

FloridaAG
11-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Antinori is a great venerable label. Their chianti riserva is always outstanding, although always pricey.

I'll have to look that one up.

I think I might have met a few of them when I was younger.

I have recently (past couple years) been discovering spanish reds beyond just their Riojas. There are some very decent well crafted bargains out there. Although I'm sure any Portugese national would protest my lumping it in with the Spanish inference, I found a nice Portugese red blend called 'Fado' for $8 that can't be beat for the money...

If you want to spend more, there are excellent Touriga wines from Portugal - Quinta de Crasto is an excellent producer (of dry red and of course Port)

Timbo's hopeless slice
11-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Meadowbank Pinot Noir
Sharman's Pinot Noir
Penfolds Bin 389
most South Island NZ Sauvingnon Blanc(s)
Jansz

and teh winner?

2005 Pipers Brook 'The Lyre' Pinot Noir

Sorry, folks, you'll either have to look very hard or come visit us, or take my word for it!

r2473
11-01-2011, 02:34 PM

Foie gras is fine with enough ketchup.

I'm working on a $1 Chuck for those of us on a budget who can't really afford the spendy Trader Joe's stuff.

By the way, if you want to easily learn enough about wine to out do your friends at the next cocktail party, The Teaching Company comes through again. Imagine the fun you will have correcting your friends and generally out-snobbing the group with your new found knowledge. Trust me, it never gets old:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=9123

Timbo's hopeless slice
11-01-2011, 02:39 PM
oh, you would LOVE this, then!

http://www.liquorhomedelivery.com.au/showProduct/WINE_CASKS/4L+CASKS/21177

should work out well with that chuck...

r2473
11-01-2011, 02:41 PM
^^ $14.99 / gallon?

Do you think I'm made of money or something?

Timbo's hopeless slice
11-01-2011, 02:43 PM
^^ $14.99 / gallon?

Do you think I'm made of money or something?

well, you know, for special occasions?

jswinf
11-01-2011, 02:53 PM

So what do you look for in a sheep?

Timbo's hopeless slice
11-01-2011, 02:56 PM
^^^

lack of leg speed!!!!

(sorry Mike!)

adamX012
11-01-2011, 07:50 PM
My favorite thread of this week, I just drank a glass of cranberry margarita. Does anyone likes it?

Agent Orynge
11-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks Google. OK, close enough. So, what are your fav's...Scottish, New Zealand? Sheared or hirsuite? Just wear protection man...

Oh, it's hard not to love them all, once you get past the wool rash.

Bartelby
11-01-2011, 11:39 PM
The problem with discussing wine is that there are so many countries, so many brands, so many labels and so many vintages that even if someone had interesting buys to share it would be hard to find them, alas.

kelkat
11-02-2011, 03:49 AM
Joel Gott Cab or Zin. Both great all 'round reds.

thug the bunny
11-02-2011, 05:14 AM
Most Barolos cost far in excess of $30 - you would be better served looking for a Sandrone, Scavino, La Spinetta or Vietti Barbera at that price (or to another region) -

I have over 4,000 posts in some wine forums, if you want to kill more time head to forums at WineSpectator.com, Wine Berserkers or Ebob

I can find some decent Barolos for $30 - 40 at some of my large discount liquor merchants. That's about my cap for vino, only a few times a year will I splurge more than that. Although I stay away from stuff like 1 buck chuck. I tried it a couple times when I lived in Cali and it gave me a headache every time.

Thanks for mentioning these other dominaziones (sp?), I will look for them.

I wander onto winespectator occasionally. A little too pretentious for me. I prefer the unique strangeness and twisted wit often found on TT.

Agent Orynge
11-02-2011, 05:46 AM
I can find some decent Barolos for $30 - 40 at some of my large discount liquor merchants. That's about my cap for vino, only a few times a year will I splurge more than that. Although I stay away from stuff like 1 buck chuck. I tried it a couple times when I lived in Cali and it gave me a headache every time.

I wander onto winespectator occasionally. A little too pretentious for me. I prefer the unique strangeness and twisted wit often found on TT.

I can't for the life of me imagine who you might be talking about.

thug the bunny
11-02-2011, 06:02 AM
Nobody. I was just kidding. TT is a bastion of middle-of-the-road, dull, complacent, featureless viewpoints and opinions.

FloridaAG
11-02-2011, 06:42 AM
For lower priced reds, I would recommend looking to grenache and monastrell/mourvedre based wines from France and Spain. Cotes du Rhone from France, wines from Jumilla, Monsant and elsewhere from Spain.

dParis
11-02-2011, 06:48 AM

$30-$40 for a bottle is a splurge, ;) but that's about what you have to spend for a decent Barolo.

I understand why you'd call CS 1 buck Chuck, but around here at least, it's 3 buck Chuck. The best thing I can say about it is that it tastes like a wine twice its price. I do enjoy finding good wine at less than $15-$20 per bottle. I recently enjoyed Bogle Vineyard petite sirah. So much that I look forward to giving their PN and other varietals a go. The PS can be found at TJ's and Costco for under $10.