PDA

View Full Version : Inovative shots could this work?

ark_28
10-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Hey guys

Just wandered if any of you have tried any new shots that work I am a big fan of thinking out the box! Of course it is high risk to try something a bit new but if it works then its another thing in your armour!

In Cricket Ms Dhoni invented the helicopter shot here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar2Ho1XaZD8

Now I know Cricket is a totally different sport, but using the concept of how he has coiled his wrist, do you think as a one off this with two hands on the forehand whip of the wrists cross court, could word against a big server or would it just be technically too hard a shot to pull off?

sureshs
10-31-2011, 10:57 AM
It is just an upward flick, done by many tennis pros.

LeeD
10-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Huh?
Looks like a low ball that the batter scoops into left field.
Didn't you watch WillieMcCovey hit home runs off ankle high pitches?

ark_28
10-31-2011, 11:20 AM
I disagree! One handed maybe it would be like a top spin kind shot but

I am talking about having the same affect as that shot playing it like a forehand two handed off a big server could that be a shot worth trying?

ark_28
10-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Huh?
Looks like a low ball that the batter scoops into left field.
Didn't you watch WillieMcCovey hit home runs off ankle high pitches?

No I will check him out! I take your point but in Cricket because the ball has to bounce and at pace it is very difficult to hit under the ball like this guy does he has made the helicopter shot his own and is one of the best at playing yorkers (low fast balls) because he just gets under the ball and flicks it with the helicopter!

I am just curious as to if practised could this same kid of tactic work against a deep fast serve, if yod had quick hands?

WildVolley
10-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Huh, consider me highly confused. Wouldn't scooping under a ball while hitting a half volley just blast it out or into the side fence?

What exactly are you trying to do with a tennis ball, and how does that cricket shot have any relationship with hitting a tennis ball into the court?

ark_28
10-31-2011, 11:59 AM
That is a good question! :-)

See I think you your tried to play in a conventional way then yes you probably would put the tennis ball into the back fence! Or out

Seeing as 99% of players maybe 99.9 hit with a one handed forehand! it led me to ask that just as a one off shot say if you had strong wrists (that cricket shot is all about wrist work not follow through or take back) then possibly as a cross court forehand return could that helicopter shot work against say a very deep serve to your forehand get under and bring it back in play and deep to a ball that you would normally lift?

Manus Domini
10-31-2011, 12:03 PM
If you have a 2hfh, it might work, but I doubt it

if you have a 1hfh, don't bother

LeeD
10-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Er... OP..
Strong fast serves that are deep to you tend to BOUNCE HIGH, higher than waist heights anyways. Nobody with a strong serve can slice his serve so it bounces much lower than mid thigh. Just physics. The ball has to leave the racket somewhere around 9', it has to clear a 36" + net, then arc downwards inside your service court, then bounce up easily over 24" minimum, and for players better than 4.5, usually closer to 6' on their twists and kicks.
WillieMcCovey is the all time SanFranciscoGiants home run hitting lefty of the modern era, has a statue of himself at PacBell Park, and regularly golfs shin high balls over the right field fence.
Heck, why call this a "helicopter" shot? Why not call it a GOLF shot?

MarinaHighTennis
10-31-2011, 02:19 PM
You can find a lot of innovative shotmaking here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5oxXZH45tw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Vqp6UveIU