PDA

View Full Version : A good instructor, what a difference it makes!

Alejandro Lanza
10-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Hey there,

I just wanted to quickly share my experience as a newbie to tennis. I had started to take lessons back in July, but quickly felt i wasn't going anywhere. While the instructor was good (IMO), there were just too many people on the class and he maybe was a bit too young and not so well aware of how to teach the required techniques that well

So by the end of aug i started to just hit at the wall and play with a partner that was slightly more experienced but too rusty. Then two weeks ago i decided to look for another instructor and ran into one in his mid 60's. The main difference of course was that now it's only me and my mate taking the lesson, but also that this guy focuses really well on how i perform the movements and literally doesn't care where the ball ends up, also his drills are far more dynamic and challenging and overall i feel i've made more progress in two 1 hr lessons than during the first 3.5 months before. Now i have a real backhand (needs tons of work, but at least i'm somewhere now), started to work on my serve from zero and my motivation is top notch. More importantly my body is very thankful, whereas before i did feel different muscles in my ARM even after just hitting at the wall for 30 min, now i feel exactly nothing after 1 hr of continuous drills. So i feel like instead of my limbs being the limitant, it's my aerobic capability that gets stretched when doing all these drills. And even though i'm still hitting very lighltly by tennis standards, i'm able to get the ball a bit deeper and better placed than before when i was kind of forcing the strokes rather than using the more fluid, elegant (in my mind at least) moves that this guy has taught me.
Anyways, just wanted to share, especially from an injury perspective how important it is to get taught right. Most of you knew that i guess, but for other newbies i feel it's really the way to go. I would go as far as saying that if you're starting to play, especially if you're older, you're better off using a $30 racket, any pair of athletic shoes and a good instructor than the more expensive tools with a poor/no instructor at all.