PDA

View Full Version : What to get for the guy who has everything except US Citizenship?

Cindysphinx
11-01-2011, 11:18 AM
A friend applied for US citizenship, and it is about to go through. I would love to get him a gift, maybe giving it to him at the swearing in ceremony.

Trouble is, I can't think of anything and I don't want to get him a baseball cap with a flag on it.

The only idea I have had so far is to get a flag that was flown over the US capitol on the day he was sworn in as a citizen. I dunno, the schmaltz factor is kind of high.

Any other ideas?

r2473
11-01-2011, 11:22 AM
A form 1040 and your lawyers phone number

and a supersized big mac meal along with a great all expenses paid medical plan.

scotus
11-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Get him a US Open hat or towel.

max pl
11-01-2011, 11:36 AM
my family was given a US flag from a friend.

Larrysümmers
11-01-2011, 11:36 AM
an obama chia pet. cha cha cha chaia

Totai
11-01-2011, 11:43 AM
A bottle of california wine, some wisconsin cheese, a maine lobster, a texas long horn T-bone steak, and to top it off, some georgia peaches for dessert!

chrischris
11-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Apple pie , marshmallows , pumpkin pie and root beer in a smoothie with some Reddi wip cream on top :)

sureshs
11-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Tell him he is now eligible to play in USTA leagues.

adamX012
11-01-2011, 08:00 PM

LOL. Good Call.....

goober
11-02-2011, 11:22 AM

eh? USTA will take money from anybody. US citizen or not...

SlapShot
11-02-2011, 01:18 PM

But would he self rate at 3.5 so as to form a good 7.5 combo pair with a 4.0 woman?

sureshs
11-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Non US citizens are only allowed to be ball persons in USTA leagues

sureshs
11-02-2011, 01:23 PM
But would he self rate at 3.5 so as to form a good 7.5 combo pair with a 4.0 woman?

If the intention is marriage with the woman to get her a green card in exchange for a payment, it would be illegal as per the Code.

jswinf
11-04-2011, 09:58 AM
How about a DVD of "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"?

goober
11-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Non US citizens are only allowed to be ball persons in USTA leagues

uh oh I may have some illegals on my team. Please don't report me.

woodrow1029
11-04-2011, 10:10 AM

No joke. Just look at the US Open National Playoffs!

atatu
11-04-2011, 01:48 PM
A friend applied for US citizenship, and it is about to go through. I would love to get him a gift, maybe giving it to him at the swearing in ceremony.

Trouble is, I can't think of anything and I don't want to get him a baseball cap with a flag on it.

The only idea I have had so far is to get a flag that was flown over the US capitol on the day he was sworn in as a citizen. I dunno, the schmaltz factor is kind of high.

Any other ideas?

Cindy, I would recommend a good book on the immigrant experience, there are several out there, perhaps "Towards a Better Life: America's New Immigrants in their own words: From Ellis Island to The Present" by Peter Morton Coan. This particular book is a collection of oral histories from a variety of immigrants.

Slayer_of_Kings
11-04-2011, 01:57 PM

Any other ideas?

If you want to give him something that really emptomizes this country, it's history and it's people, give him a big 'ol gun. A nice big shiny one with a long barrel. Doesn't have to be a real one!

chrischris
11-04-2011, 02:19 PM

Quite unlike any aspiring campaigner for the WH :)

Angle Queen
11-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Cindy,

Rather than a gift for/at his swearing-in ceremony...how about a "coupon" to take him out to lunch or dinner...on the first time he can vote. It might be a bit more off in the future, but if you get some one-on-one time with him (or with his family, depending on circumstances and your budget) on another meaningful day might be appreciated.