PDA

View Full Version : Conflicts : Best way of solving when stuck

Pages : [1] 2

chrischris
11-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I was discussing and arguing last night with my brother about many different things.
He says its always best to discuss and talk to find common ground to solve conflicts . I thought it sounded to much a cliche and if it were only that easy there wouldnt be any .
We got stuck after a while. i dont know what makes it that way for i was a good listener i think but maybe family is sometimes too close and too delicate an arena for some topics of current state of things in the nation.
I think maybe some of you out there know some general strategies that work on conflicts small medium and big.

What methods do you guys like that can make 'stuckness' go away ?

dParis
11-04-2011, 05:58 PM
I find linking to a good, environmentally friendly, video usually does the trick.

LeeD
11-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Always, when argued to a stalemate, get each other in a headlock and go by the results.

autumn_leaf
11-04-2011, 07:32 PM
I try not to get stuck in the first place. Define everything that is ambiguous and you'll have a much better starting point for any discussion. That is one of the biggest faults of language, a word will have different meaning for different people.

Sometimes when an argument gets stuck moving forward it is better to take a step back to remind themselves what was their initial goals, then reroute the course of the discussion as necessary.

Sometimes people just disagree. That's plain and simple and nothing can really change that because that is based upon opinion not tangible facts.

Andreas1965
11-05-2011, 03:34 AM
What about hitting each other in the face?

chrischris
11-05-2011, 04:04 AM
Yes the ability to have a good laugh at oneself is a good icebreaker.
I sometimes take my insights a bit too 'hard' i guess.
These days if you are serious about important things some people get an allergic reaction probably due to their needs being under 'threat' and you can get stuck.

Clay lover
11-05-2011, 04:26 AM
I am a pessimist. I think conflicts never revolve themselves, therefore I try my hardest to avoid them.

chrischris
11-05-2011, 04:55 AM
I am a pessimist. I think conflicts never revolve themselves, therefore I try my hardest to avoid them.

Ok,i think i can understand this. .. my brother is a pessimist and i have had it close all my life .. Me i used to be an 'outrageous ' optimist . i think now i am a realistic optimist.
What makes a person a pessimist? i think its when ones needs are not heard or recognised its easy to 'give up'.. Do you have some things that you need and cant get across to others?

chrischris
11-05-2011, 05:13 AM
The topic me and my brother got stuck on was what civilization means.. anyone got it down ?

ollinger
11-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Have the combattants sit around a big CO2 producing bonfire and turn marshmallows into carcinogens.

chrischris
11-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Have the combattants sit around a big CO2 producing bonfire and turn marshmallows into carcinogens.

Seems you maybe have a need to upset me a bit , is that so?

ollinger
11-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Quite the contrary, I wanted to entertain you. If you didn't enjoy conflict, provocation and debate, you wouldn't seek them out so much in this forum.

chrischris
11-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Quite the contrary, I wanted to entertain you. If you didn't enjoy conflict, provocation and debate, you wouldn't seek them out so much in this forum.

Ok, i can then say you did not succeed for imo it was not funny. Because it felt like you wanted to have a laugh at my expense.
Do you understand that?

ollinger
11-05-2011, 08:32 AM
No, because it's disingenuous. Nobody who's so thin skinned and easily hurt goes on a forum like this all the time to start conflict. Let me put it in psychological terms: some people who present themselves as altruistic and selfless are defending against unconscious rage.

chrischris
11-05-2011, 12:40 PM
No, because it's disingenuous. Nobody who's so thin skinned and easily hurt goes on a forum like this all the time to start conflict. Let me put it in psychological terms: some people who present themselves as altruistic and selfless are defending against unconscious rage.

I understand what you are trying to say.
I think its a shame you are evaluting something you cant .
So it can be that in order to label and fill the need to catagorize is too temping.
Used to be a little bit disgusted once in a while in the past but thats part of youth .

Do you think it would good to find that i belong to category of fakes that pose as altruistic and selfless ?Perhaps you have that 'wish'..

I have a need to find new solutions though . Dont you ?

mikeler
11-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Speaking of youth, how old are you? It is usually easier to resolve conflicts with adults versus younger folks.

chrischris
11-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Speaking of youth, how old are you? It is usually easier to resolve conflicts with adults versus younger folks.

Ok ,what method do you then recommend from your own experience of solving conflicts?

sureshs
11-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Don't know about that, but have come across people who present themselves as altruistic and selfless in order to prevent any kind of criticism about their incompetence. Plenty of such people in the workplace.

mikeler
11-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Ok ,what method do you then recommend from your own experience of solving conflicts?

Agree to disagree when you reach an impasse.

chrischris
11-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Agree to disagree when you reach an impasse.

Thats hardly something of a solution, now is it?

Besides that who has the advantage of deciding when an impasse has been reached?

I am interested in solution more than what age people are or if they have a need to impose things like age as having any bearing on competence to think fresh , new and constructively to find solutions.
To surrender and throw your hands in the air so to speak is a bit old and often advantageous to the party that decides to take that path.
It can easily be misused as well in order to delay and stall .

mikeler
11-05-2011, 03:11 PM
When you pose a general question, expect a general answer.

chrischris
11-05-2011, 03:24 PM

Ok , having gone thorugh the general mode , if i then ask you to answer the other specific question in my previous post ,i would be grateful.

chrischris
11-05-2011, 04:34 PM

What is a tough negotiator in your view?

mikeler
11-06-2011, 05:00 AM
What is a tough negotiator in your view?

Somebody who plays like they have the upper hand and can dictate the terms of an agreement.

chrischris
11-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Somebody who plays like they have the upper hand and can dictate the terms of an agreement.

ok, what about somebody that does in fact have the upper hand and plays like he doesnt and dictates the terms of an agreement?
How would you 'label' him and does anyone in particular come to mind ?

Agent Orynge
11-06-2011, 04:19 PM
chris, is English your second language?

chrischris
11-07-2011, 02:54 AM

Agent Orynge,
Why do you need to ask me that?

Agent Orynge
11-07-2011, 05:26 AM
'Need' is such a subjective term. It's OK to say yes...

chrischris
11-07-2011, 05:31 AM
'Need' is such a subjective term. It's OK to say yes...

Ok, let me rephrase it for you in very simple words so that you dont have any doubts.

Why did you ask that question?

albino smurf
11-07-2011, 06:15 AM
find the common ground and work from there. It is also important to recognize when one or both sides will never agree and again move on from there.

mikeler
11-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Ok, let me rephrase it for you in very simple words so that you dont have any doubts.

Why are you so defensive about answering it?

chrischris
11-07-2011, 06:51 AM

Isnt that obvious.. it is quite irrelevant to the topic of this thread, ,dont you agree?

chrischris
11-07-2011, 07:01 AM
find the common ground and work from there. It is also important to recognize when one or both sides will never agree and again move on from there.

Good idea!
But when things do get stuck it seems most act like kids instead of responsible adults.
Blame games ensue.

I think it may be smart to see what needs are not being met when that happens.
Is the other sides needs are not clear to me, can i maybe figure them out somehow and why do they have that need at all .

To define what is a need and what is a want is good to to get some structure and grounding to build an argument that stands the test of debate and discussion.

mikeler
11-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Isnt that obvious.. it is quite irrelevant to the topic of this thread, ,dont you agree?

Perhaps Mr. Orynge has some kind of point to make based on your answer.

dParis
11-07-2011, 07:32 AM

Agent Orynge,
Why do you need to ask me that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1KxC-S7QgA

Let's move on. We can find a solution.

Agent Orynge
11-07-2011, 07:48 AM

Because I'm curious. No judgment involved.

chrischris
11-07-2011, 08:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1KxC-S7QgA

Let's move on. We can find a solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jORau0V62c

A suggestion of a partial solution to the perceived conflict between business and environment.
Like it?

chrischris
11-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Because I'm curious. No judgment involved.

Ok im curious too. I speak 4 languages.
Whats your favorite Ben and Jerry's flavor?

r2473
11-07-2011, 08:21 AM

I'm beginning to see your basic problem.

I think the solution would be for you to not be such an *****hole.

Give that a try and see if things get unstuck for you.

Anybody care to guess how old chris is? I say 16.

mikeler
11-07-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm beginning to see your basic problem.

I think the solution would be for you to not be such an *****hole.

Give that a try and see if things get unstuck for you.

Anybody care to guess how old chris is? I say 16.

I'll take the under.

davedomart
11-07-2011, 10:14 AM
LOL sounds more like a mommas boy.

chrischris
11-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Who on this here thread , would favor non violent communication over violent communication?

r2473
11-07-2011, 10:34 AM
I'll take the under.

Good call.

mikeler
11-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Who on this here thread , would favor non violent communication over violent communication?

Me me me me me.

ttbrowne
11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
The topic me and my brother got stuck on was what civilization means.. anyone got it down ?

chris, JMO, but approach it from the view of "what civilzation means to me".
I doubt you could convince anyone, especially a pessimist, about how to look at this subject objectively.

thug the bunny
11-07-2011, 11:49 AM
What a silly topic to get stuck on. Are you seriously trying to collectively take on the entire fields of sociology, anthropology, politics, theology, and philosophy? Why not just jump straight to the meaning of life?

Agent Orynge
11-07-2011, 12:00 PM

I don't have one, but I did recently try Americone Dream and Schweddy Balls. I enjoyed the Americone Dream more.

r2473
11-07-2011, 12:00 PM
What a silly topic to get stuck on. Are you seriously trying to collectively take on the entire fields of sociology, anthropology, politics, theology, and philosophy? Why not just jump straight to the meaning of life?

..or who makes the best pizza or if 50-year old man should be wearing skinny jeans.

Agent Orynge
11-07-2011, 12:01 PM

Next?

thug the bunny
11-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Was that from Hitchhiker's Guide or Monty Python?

I think we're about done as far as useless conjecture, theorizing, and opinionizing goes.

thug the bunny
11-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Smoke a bowl

Wait, duh, I think that's how they got into this inane discussion in the first place..

Agent Orynge
11-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Was that from Hitchhiker's Guide or Monty Python?

I think we're about done as far as useless conjecture, theorizing, and opinionizing goes.

The former. The only thing I learned from Python (besides the value of hiding) is to always look on the bright side life. Always look on the light side of life.

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

thug the bunny
11-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Each and every one of those little guys will be waiting for you, wanting reprisal and an explanation of your behavior.

edit: hey! you nixed your sperm comment! well, they're still going to be waiting for you...

r2473
11-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Wait, duh, I think that's how they got into this inane discussion in the first place..

chris = pinto in "Animal House".

That means that...

our whole solar system...

could be, like...

one tiny atom in the fingernail
of some other giant being.

This is too much

That means..

-one tiny atom in my fingernail could be--
-Could be one little...

tiny universe.

Could l buy some pot from you?

thug the bunny
11-07-2011, 01:01 PM
But it's true! The universe has to be infinite in dimension from infinitely small to infinitely large. It is a fractal. <Inhale....cough...> Wow, this is some good *****..

mikeler
11-07-2011, 01:22 PM
If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear, does this mean global warming is getting worse?

Agent Orynge
11-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Each and every one of those little guys will be waiting for you, wanting reprisal and an explanation of your behavior.

edit: hey! you nixed your sperm comment! well, they're still going to be waiting for you...

Sorry, I thought of something better to say.

Agent Orynge
11-07-2011, 01:44 PM
If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear, does this mean global warming is getting worse?

Not unless we have data showing how many trees fell over 26,000 years ago, which is the amount of time it takes for the earth to precess. We know precession causes cycles of climate change, the real question is how far CO2 emissions have caused us to drift from the norm, and whether that's really significant or not. Do you think we have enough data to make a valid comparison?

r2473
11-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Do you think we have enough data to make a valid comparison?

Who on this forum would favor valid comparisons over invalid comparisons?

I think we're making some real progress here.

chrischris
11-07-2011, 02:36 PM
I agree things are moving along pretty well.

Which suggestion for working out a conflict seems best so far?

chrischris
11-08-2011, 02:14 AM
" Im proud of being one of the first to recognize that States and Federal government have a duty to protect out natural resources from the damaging effects of pollution that can accompany industrial development"

What treehugger said that ?

chrischris
11-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Anyone got a clue?

BeGreat
11-09-2011, 08:28 AM
A good cup of tea resolves all conflicts.

chrischris
11-09-2011, 10:16 AM
A good cup of tea resolves all conflicts.

Yes , especially when you dash a bit of Rum in it.

Taking your díscussion to whole different level can be done in the sauna too.

The Finns are known for that.

mikeler
11-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Conflicts : Best way of solving when stuck

Badger your opponent until they finally agree with you.

Agent Orynge
11-09-2011, 12:08 PM

You know, I've tried that. Not as effective as you'd think.

r2473
11-09-2011, 12:22 PM
You know, I've tried that. Not as effective as you'd think.

Yes it is. Stop disagreeing with me damnit.

mikeler
11-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Yes it is. Stop disagreeing with me damnit.

Proof that my method works.

chrischris
11-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Adam Kahane , formerly at oil giant Royal Dutch Shell and Pacific Gas in California has some interesting ideas and methods to solve conflicts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vujUsciyAx4

chrischris
11-11-2011, 08:53 AM

I think a method like Non violent communication aka NVC is more powerful and potent to get results.
Have you heard about it?
It looks at what is the core need of each stakeholder and uses that as a compass to bring constructive talks forward that gives results that benefit all participating.

ollinger
11-11-2011, 09:05 AM
^^ Uhhh, is there any technique for conflict resolution that doesn't "look at what is the core need of each stakeholder and use that as a compass to bring constructive talks forward that gives results that benefit all participating"?? That meaningless run-on sentence merely describes negotiation.

chrischris
11-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Do you think so ? How come its not used then instead of the more common style which your post is an example of , namely rephrasing and repackaging in a undermining fashion whats being presented by the other party ?

mikeler
11-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Google "the art of negotiation" and end this thread.

chrischris
11-11-2011, 10:41 AM

Google " freedom of speech" and stop acting like some kind of boss.

Have a look at this and see whats been forgotten maybe and can be used anew, what do you think of it?

chrischris
11-11-2011, 10:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dpk5Z7GIFs

mikeler
11-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Google " freedom of speech" and stop acting like some kind of boss.

Have a look at this and see whats been forgotten maybe and can be used anew, what do you think of it?

Google "How to get to the point". You talk in general terms most of the time. How about explaining the specific situation that generated this thread. I'm guessing you got into a global warming argument with a family member, they did not agree with your point of view and now you are trying to figure out the best way of showing them you are right and they are wrong. So then you turn to a bunch of random strangers on the internet for ideas on how to convince them you are right.

Am I close?

dParis
11-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Am neither interested in negotiating nor solving conflicts. Only in having others see things my way.

mikeler
11-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Am neither interested in negotiating nor solving conflicts. Only in having others see things my way.

Some people always have to be right. :rolleyes:

Agent Orynge
11-11-2011, 12:56 PM
chris, is there a point that you can make without linking a youtube vid? I don't think anybody here has the time or motivation to watch everything you post. A little paraphrasing might go a long way, my friend.

mikeler
11-11-2011, 01:20 PM
chris, is there a point that you can make without linking a youtube vid? I don't think anybody here has the time or motivation to watch everything you post. A little paraphrasing might go a long way, my friend.

I rarely click on YouTube links.

chrischris
11-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Google "How to get to the point". You talk in general terms most of the time. How about explaining the specific situation that generated this thread. I'm guessing you got into a global warming argument with a family member, they did not agree with your point of view and now you are trying to figure out the best way of showing them you are right and they are wrong. So then you turn to a bunch of random strangers on the internet for ideas on how to convince them you are right.

Am I close?

No i am sorry .

When it comes to global warming there isnt really much to argue about unless ones business may be jeopardized and /or one may have a suppressed guilt problem. Views, hopes and opions are all good but dont have relevance really for that topic isnt affected by those.
In a case that requires experts knowledge , you ask experts . In this case , peer reviewed climatologists.

Im not interested in being the 'winner' of a debate. In fact in the case of most i would like to be wrong . Because them we would have one less major issue to worry about and have to solve . That would really be a nice experience and relief !

im interested in a debate or conflict moving into results that are meeting the needs that arent otherwise met.

To scale it down and make it quite simple , i think investigating and looking with curiousity at the underlying needs that motive peoples wants and drives are key in order to solve conflicts and not have them reoccur endlessly in new forms like in wars ( attack and retaliation) , relationships can not evolved unless conflicts are really solved and put to rest . Do you see what i mean?

Non violent communication is a good example of this in real practise.
Powerful and potent yet not forceful and oppressive.

mikeler
11-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Pretend this is Twitter. In 140 characters or less, explain this thread!!!

Agent Orynge
11-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Effective communication is an art that not everyone has a knack for, sadly.

chrischris
11-11-2011, 02:50 PM

I explained to you in simple terms in my post already. if you are too lazy to read it , no biggie buddy.
Try not to dictate in what form a thread should be shaped to fit your terms it look kind of bad imo.

Think of a thread as a thread. Twitter seems to be unfit for mature and balanced discussions . Imo its more a forum for oneliners and pie throwing practises.
Hardly a place of great ideas.

r2473
11-11-2011, 02:58 PM
I explained to you in simple terms in my post already. if you are too lazy to read it , no biggie buddy.
Try not to dictate in what form a thread should be shaped to fit your terms it look kind of bad imo.

Think of a thread as a thread. Twitter seems to be unfit for mature and balanced discussions . Imo its more a forum for oneliners and pie throwing practises.
Hardly a place of great ideas.

Hey wait a minute. You seem to have changed your opinion from this morning.

Can you compile up your 3 last posts into a summary maybe ? It would be nice for it is a lot.

mikeler
11-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Effective communication is an art that not everyone has a knack for, sadly.

This guy just talks in circles. I can't follow it. Probably a poet.

albino smurf
11-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Good idea!
But when things do get stuck it seems most act like kids instead of responsible adults.
Blame games ensue.

I think it may be smart to see what needs are not being met when that happens.
Is the other sides needs are not clear to me, can i maybe figure them out somehow and why do they have that need at all .

To define what is a need and what is a want is good to to get some structure and grounding to build an argument that stands the test of debate and discussion.

Not all disagreements will hold up to debate and discussion, but it does not really matter, there are times when you can't change what is in someone's heart. These moments should be recognized. It can save you a lot of time and trouble.

Agent Orynge
11-11-2011, 03:13 PM
This guy just talks in circles. I can't follow it. Probably a poet.

Or a politician.

Hey, at least he's not belligerent. It's not the people with strong opinions that bother me, just the ones with strong attitudes.

chrischris
11-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Hey wait a minute. You seem to have changed your opinion from this morning.

Not at all.

Look at your 3 posts in a row . Look then at my single post . The difference in length is staggering.

chrischris
11-12-2011, 03:11 AM
I rarely click on YouTube links.

Ok why not?
Do you watch TV news?

mikeler
11-12-2011, 05:44 AM
Ok why not?
Do you watch TV news?

I do watch TV news. YouTube is blocked where I work.

chrischris
11-12-2011, 08:04 AM
I do watch TV news. YouTube is blocked where I work.

Ok, whats your prefered news channel for the moment?

El Diablo
11-12-2011, 08:07 AM
"prefered news channel"?? Seems a little foolish to depend on one predominantly. There's at least half a dozen I rotate through.

mikeler
11-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Ok, whats your prefered news channel for the moment?

Fox News because they are fair and balanced...to the right. :)

chrischris
11-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Fox News because they are fair and balanced...to the right. :)

They are great at what they do, no doubt about it :) I like them a lot to for good reasons.

Any other outlets of information you like to dedicate time and mind to?

chrischris
11-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Finally got the lowdown on what tools and understanding are needed to solve 'stuck' conflicts..

Agent Orynge
11-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Finally got the lowdown on what tools and understanding are needed to solve 'stuck' conflicts..

Cool.

/thread

r2473
11-18-2011, 06:48 PM

Keep it on the down-low

chrischris
11-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Aaah yeees, it works. Im 'stoked'.
Just resolved a longstanding tug of war.

Now its partytime.Bottoms up!!!!

mikeler
11-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Good on you.

chrischris
11-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks.. have a nice well deserved hangover today!
But , boy oh boy , its sooooo worth it!

mikeler
11-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Are you peeking in my bedroom right now?

Fifth Set
11-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Wait, the punchline of Chrissy's six page ode to himself is that he gets smashed? :confused:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-zOrAL1V5Jg/TG-o55WQR2I/AAAAAAAAGaw/PRUd_i3Wcls/s640/chris+evert.jpg

Agent Orynge
11-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Wait, the punchline of Chrissy's six page ode to himself is that he gets smashed? :confused:

Don't worry, whatever it is that chrischris proclaims to know, I'm sure you're far and away the superior subject matter expert (as you are with all things).

Fifth Set
11-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Don't worry, whatever it is that chrischris proclaims to know, I'm sure you're far and away the superior subject matter expert (as you are with all things).

LOL, still angry that I had the nerve to comment in the law school thread without posting a picture of my bar card?!

Wow, if you hold your serve as firmly as you hold on to your grudges, you must be winning lots of tennis matches!

Agent Orynge
11-20-2011, 10:18 PM
My serve? Are you a coach now, too? Your mastery knows no bounds.

chrischris
11-21-2011, 02:39 AM
Some people have it all. They think.

mikeler
11-21-2011, 05:52 AM

More obfuscation.

Agent Orynge
11-21-2011, 06:26 AM

When in doubt, try fire.

chrischris
11-21-2011, 06:39 AM
More obfuscation.

More evaluation. Give it a rest.

Agent Orynge
11-21-2011, 07:29 AM
More *BUUURP*

Oh, nevermind. It was just gas.

Power Player
11-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Kindly leave chris alone, according to him he has dated a ton of models in his day and is probably exhausted from his awesomeness. ;)

chrischris
11-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Get over the jealousy thing. i cant help i have been fortunate.:)

Power Player
11-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Not jealous at all.

It's the internet, we have all dated many models.

mikeler
11-21-2011, 10:24 AM
More evaluation. Give it a rest.

There you go. Clear and concise. I'm seeing improvement, YAY!

chrischris
11-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Ok but maybe dont get too carried away. I feel you still seem to assume you are positioned to judge and set rules and limits for posts. Where does that come from do you think?

thug the bunny
11-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Ok but maybe dont get too carried away. I feel you still seem to assume you are positioned to judge and set rules and limits for posts. Where does that come from do you think?

I'm guessing you think Mikeler must have issues, eh?

Agent Orynge
11-21-2011, 11:37 AM

I still don't get this Freudian approach of yours. Rhetorical questioning is one thing, but why does it always seem like you want to put us on your couch?

thug the bunny
11-21-2011, 11:47 AM
I still don't get this Freudian approach of yours. Rhetorical questioning is one thing, but why does it always seem like you want to put us on your couch?

Duh. Cuz we all have ISSUES!

mikeler
11-21-2011, 12:08 PM

It comes from an annoyance of you posting your global warming stuff in every tennis related thread. I'm sure there are some great message boards out there where you can engage others in this discussion.

chrischris
11-21-2011, 01:21 PM
It comes from an annoyance of you posting your global warming stuff in every tennis related thread. I'm sure there are some great message boards out there where you can engage others in this discussion.

Thats your view ,ok fine.

Here is mine.
'In every tennis related thread' is simply false.
The fact is that i like to state my view when i see fit and i am not arguing that with you im telling you the way it is.

mikeler
11-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Thats your view ,ok fine.

Here is mine.
'In every tennis related thread' is simply false.
The fact is that i like to state my view when i see fit and i am not arguing that with you im telling you the way it is.

We don't care about your views. Have a great day! :)

r2473
11-21-2011, 01:25 PM

you're an a******

The fact is that i like to state my view when i see fit and i am not arguing that with you im telling you the way it is

chrischris
11-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Thats your view and an honest one at that.

But i was not in a dialogue with you , so if you barge in like that if it gives you something in return, heck,
no problem.

Dedans Penthouse
11-22-2011, 08:26 AM
er, chrischris?

When 6 separate posters take issue with your 'style' it should give you pause. More to the point, mikeler nailed it on the head: it's your "one-trick-pony" penchant for trying to work the 'global-warming' angle into any thread no matter how unreleated the subject matter at hand may be.

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?
chrischris:to escape the greenhouse emissions

Q: The Westminster Kennel Show involves what?
chrischris: Dogma

Discuss: Impact of the Washington Caps Alex Ovechkin's contract on their salary cap:
chrischris: ..what does this have to do with the melting Polar Caps?!!

Q: Engaging in a bout of robust faux-coital 'frottage' against J-Lo's callipygian fundaments can bring about what?
chrischris: global warming
(judges??....ok, you get credit for that one)

please chris, there's a time and a place, that's all ...

thug the bunny
11-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Actually, cc's pony does one other trick - that of revealing everyone's hidden psychological 'issues' behind their comments.

I never knew I had so many issues below the surface, but if cc says it's so, who am I to argue?

dParis
11-22-2011, 09:28 AM
ATTENTION! ATTENTION, PLEASE: Anyone who has learned Conflict Resolution skills in this thread, please report to the Organix 8 315 Club in the Racquets forum. There is a stuck conflict situation there that needs solving. Thank you.

r2473
11-22-2011, 09:35 AM
ATTENTION! ATTENTION, PLEASE: Anyone who has learned Conflict Resolution skills in this thread, please report to the Organix 8 315 Club in the Racquets forum. There is a stuck conflict situation there that needs solving. Thank you.

Have you tried this yet? It always works for my wife.

Agent Orynge
11-22-2011, 09:37 AM

It's getting to be quite the showdown, isn't it? And I'm not even involved!

mikeler
11-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Actually, cc's pony does one other trick - that of revealing everyone's hidden psychological 'issues' behind their comments.

I never knew I had so many issues below the surface, but if cc says it's so, who am I to argue?

I've now entered therapy.

thug the bunny
11-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Not gonna help. Too many issues.

dParis
11-22-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't know, my brothers. Losing Fedace has got me feeling all this conflict chatter is so trivial at this point...

thug the bunny
11-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Wha happened to Fedace?

chrischris
11-22-2011, 01:29 PM
I am surprised at the overly analytical and swollen idea that i am 'out to' get to a certain issue.
I find it tiresome.
Now after that journey into that out of bounds idea, back to the ACTUAL the topic of this thread , i.e. how to get things done when a conflict has gotten both sides stuck i have an idea.

One can see a certain pattern arise time and time again with signifícant consistency. Over time and space and in all cultures.
It seems that power can become a hammer and become oppressive while the other side looking for 'change' or acceptance of their needs tend to look sentimental and victimised.

Can you guys see that also happen in conflicts?

dParis
11-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Wha happened to Fedace?
IDK. I sent an environmental video link to the administrators on Fedace's behalf, but to no avail. I'm out of ideas.:(

chrischris
11-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Who is Fedace?

mikeler
11-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Back to the OP: 3rd party mediation.

chrischris
11-22-2011, 03:39 PM
I am surprised at the overly analytical and swollen idea that i am 'out to' get to a certain issue.
I find it tiresome.
Now after that journey into that out of bounds idea, back to the ACTUAL the topic of this thread , i.e. how to get things done when a conflict has gotten both sides stuck i have an idea.

One can see a certain pattern arise time and time again with signifícant consistency. Over time and space and in all cultures.
It seems that power can become a hammer and become oppressive while the other side looking for 'change' or acceptance of their needs tend to look sentimental and victimised.

Duuh?.....

Agent Orynge
11-22-2011, 03:46 PM
It appears that chris has resorted to having a conversation with himself. The circle is now complete.

Turning off the internet... now.

r2473
11-22-2011, 03:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUKB3PxG-0E

chrischris
11-22-2011, 05:01 PM
So instead of trying to engage in a discussion , some resort to avoiding the topic like a plague.
I may have to try it in China or Brazil to see if they are less hostile to constructive ideas.

Bartelby
11-22-2011, 05:56 PM
From post 2 onwards your political opponents saw your thread as a chance to turn it into a de facto political one where they can attack you indirectly for your previous posts about the environment while pretending disingenuously that you are the one doing the politicking.

In any event, conflict resolution owes something to common sense but there is also a huge academic field devoted to it.

There was a documentary on radio the other day about diplomacy and the only impression conveyed was that no matter how disagreeable the interlocutor you still need to have a working relationship, but the trouble is when people think they can attack ... they attack.

Agent Orynge
11-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Aw, why'd you have to go and rain on our parade?

dParis
11-22-2011, 10:53 PM
You mean, "why'd you have to go and acid rain on our parade?"

Agent Orynge
11-22-2011, 11:00 PM
You mean, "why'd you have to go and acid rain on our parade?"

Touché.

10char

chrischris
11-23-2011, 03:58 AM
Thats funny :)

For 3 reasons.

1.Acid rain was dealt with . Where have you been?

2. Im strolling along alone here , no parading, im talking about mutual problems people encounter in life and would like to no longer have take time and energy away frm their lives.

3. looks like attack is a reflex and cant be adressed easily.
my bet is that another one is coming . Problem is im not intercepting .

So yes go ahead and throw jabsand punches into a void if you like for a while.

This isnt a fight its a discussion.

Sentinel
11-23-2011, 04:06 AM
Love and kindness, my beloved friends.

thug the bunny
11-23-2011, 06:49 AM
From post 2 onwards your political opponents saw your thread as a chance to turn it into a de facto political one where they can attack you indirectly for your previous posts about the environment while pretending disingenuously that you are the one doing the politicking.

In any event, conflict resolution owes something to common sense but there is also a huge academic field devoted to it.

There was a documentary on radio the other day about diplomacy and the only impression conveyed was that no matter how disagreeable the interlocutor you still need to have a working relationship, but the trouble is when people think they can attack ... they attack.

Nah. While chris' environmental platform may be tiresome to many, the main reason that he is a soft target is that he can't write well. He does not use puncuation to parse, which, when combined with bad grammar and spelling, causes his posts to be largely incomprehensible. He then blames the lack of comprehension on the reader's inflexibility and lack of imagination.

chrischris
11-23-2011, 07:12 AM
Nah. While chris' environmental platform may be tiresome to many, the main reason that he is a soft target is that he can't write well. He does not use puncuation to parse, which, when combined with bad grammar and spelling, causes his posts to be largely incomprehensible. He then blames the lack of comprehension on the reader's inflexibility and lack of imagination.

I dont think thats the reason. If you can see where punctuation and spelling is lacking , you i think you also have the capactity to understand the words and the sentences regardless . Send me an example of a sentence you cant comprehend , im all ears. Thanks.

ollinger
11-23-2011, 07:22 AM
^^ too numerous to cite, grammar quite erratic at times.

thug the bunny
11-23-2011, 07:43 AM
I dont think thats the reason. If you can see where punctuation and spelling is lacking , you i think you also have the capactity to understand the words and the sentences regardless . Send me an example of a sentence you cant comprehend , im all ears. Thanks.

Well that was easy.

chrischris
11-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Well that was easy.

Of course it was. But what of the actual meaning of my posts dont you understand?

thug the bunny
11-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Seriously?

"YOU I THINK YOU ALSO..." is NOT proper English. I have no idea what you mean when you say "YOU I THINK YOU...". Do you think this is proper grammar? Do you???

chrischris
11-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Apparently you arent as big on order and chronology as on spelling and grammar.

I asked you a question and get no answer. Answer my question that was posted for you. Then ,when thats been sorted out , i can answer yours that was posted later.

thug the bunny
11-23-2011, 08:29 AM
OMG I can't decide if this is funny or pathetic.

OK, here is your question: But what of the actual meaning of my posts dont you understand?

Here is my answer: I can't understand what you mean when you write "YOU I THINK YOU ALSO..."

Got it? You do understand that meaning and content are inextricably tied to grammar, don't you? That is the reason that grammatical rules exist in the first place, right?

r2473
11-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Answer my question that was posted for you. Then ,when thats been sorted out , i can answer yours that was posted later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Vxr8EEyc4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGiyn9pU2-0&feature=related

chrischris
11-23-2011, 08:44 AM
OMG I can't decide if this is funny or pathetic.

OK, here is your question:

Here is my answer: I can't understand what you mean when you write "YOU I THINK YOU ALSO..."

Got it? You do understand that meaning and content are inextricably tied to grammar, don't you? That is the reason that grammatical rules exist in the first place, right?

Just take a deep breath and chill out . Your focus on grammar is admirable but dont let it get too much attention . Im certain you can comprehend my last post despite the 'double you'

If you cant , perhaps persue a career in grammar and leave the bigger picture to the rest of us. :)

r2473
11-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Just take a deep breath and chill out . Your focus on grammar is admirable but dont let it get too much attention . Im certain you can comprehend my last post despite the 'double you'

If you cant , perhaps persue a career in grammar and leave the bigger picture to the rest of us. :)

Judging by your posts, I think conflict resolution is not something you are interested in.

If you actually believe that your method of argumentation is conducive to conflict resolution, then you are very, very far from understanding the concept.

thug the bunny
11-23-2011, 10:01 AM

It should be incumbent on the author to make things understandable for the reader without the reader having to perform puzzle solving. Yes, I could gather that you added an extra 'you', but:

1) why should I have to decipher it?
2) why didn't you fix it to begin with?
3) most of your other malformed sentences are not as easily deciphered

thug the bunny
11-23-2011, 10:05 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGiyn9pU2-0&feature=related

JMac also did not have good conflict resolution skills.

Agent Orynge
11-23-2011, 11:43 AM
thug, we're going about this all wrong. I think that if we catalogued all of these 'chrisms' we'd have a tremendous base to start a fortune cookie company with.

Dedans Penthouse
11-23-2011, 11:49 AM
From post 2 onwards your political opponents

saw your thread as a chance to turn it into a de facto political one ....ah, it appears that the chickens have (disengenuously) come home to roost-haha.

Re: that particular M.O. you cited above:

Sound. Familiar. 'Bro?

Pot. Kettle. Black.
Game. Set. Match.

Waiter. Check. Please.

http://j.static-locatetv.com/images/content/1/79386_good_night_nurse.png

chrischris
11-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Judging by your posts, I think conflict resolution is not something you are interested in.

If you actually believe that your method of argumentation is conducive to conflict resolution, then you are very, very far from understanding the concept.

Here you are in error. i am very interested in the topic.
Perhaps you are too since you are able to conclude that im 'very , very far froom understanding the concept'.

Ok, so, lets have a dialogue you and i about this. How do you then define the concept that im far way from?

mikeler
11-23-2011, 12:09 PM
ah, it appears that the chickens have (disengenuously) come home to roost-haha.

Sound. Familiar. 'Bro?

Pot. Kettle. Black.
Game. Set. Match.

Waiter. Check. Please.

Oh boy, this thread is going to spiral out of control. It hurt me not to respond to Bart but I wanted to take the high road on this Thanksgiving Eve. :)

r2473
11-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Perhaps you are too since you are able to conclude that im 'very , very far froom understanding the concept'.

Ok, so, lets have a dialogue you and i about this. How do you then define the concept that im far way from?

If you like the Socratic method, read early Platonic dialogues with Socrates as the interlocutor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_method

chrischris
11-23-2011, 12:24 PM
If you like the Socratic method, read early Platonic dialogues with Socrates as the interlocutor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_method

Is that the concept you are talking about ? Or is this a general recommendation ?

r2473
11-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Is that the concept you are talking about ? Or is this a general recommendation ?

You clearly have a preference for the socratic style. My suggestion is simply that you study that style and apply it to your chosen topic: Conflict resolution.

I suspect that you are very far away from understanding conflict resolution simply because your method (and the manner in which you apply your method) seems to cause conflict instead of resoving conflict.

Perhaps its your chosen method (the socratic method can be very annoying). Perhaps you are simply not skilled in applying the method. Perhaps its a combination of both.

Why don't you do a bit of the "heavy lifting" for a change. Reflect on your problem for a while, come back, and tell us why you think you have such a problem with conflict resolution. If we start from your perceptions, perhaps we can help diagnose your problems.

If you aren't willing to do any of the hard work, please don't continue asking us to help you with your problem.

LeeD
11-23-2011, 12:53 PM
IS there a universal way to handle conflicts? Or his it dependent on WHO the individuals are, and that would include thousands of different psychy's.
We have fights and wars because we cannot handle common disagreements. Who knows how to handle every single personality at the time of increasted agitation?
The Oakland Cops? Like pepperspraying female students?

Fifth Set
11-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Awesome, it is only fitting that a Chrissy thread purportedly about "solving conflicts" should become itself stuck in conflict so that it can ultimately act as just another platform for his far left political ax grinding.

Why not just start a "Chrissy Chat" thread? Sort of like Chopin's odes to himself, at least it will be more up front about the agenda.

http://sportsthenandnow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Evert-1.jpg

mikeler
11-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Awesome, it is only fitting that a Chrissy thread purportedly about "solving conflicts" should become itself stuck in conflict so that it can ultimately act as just another platform for his far left political ax grinding.

Why not just start a "Chrissy Chat" thread? Sort of like Chopin's odes to himself, at least it will be more up front about the agenda.

http://sportsthenandnow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Evert-1.jpg

Oh the irony.

chrischris
11-23-2011, 01:42 PM
You clearly have a preference for the socratic style. My suggestion is simply that you study that style and apply it to your chosen topic: Conflict resolution.

I suspect that you are very far away from understanding conflict resolution simply because your method (and the manner in which you apply your method) seems to cause conflict instead of resoving conflict.

Perhaps its your chosen method (the socratic method can be very annoying). Perhaps you are simply not skilled in applying the method. Perhaps its a combination of both.

Why don't you do a bit of the "heavy lifting" for a change. Reflect on your problem for a while, come back, and tell us why you think you have such a problem with conflict resolution. If we start from your perceptions, perhaps we can help diagnose your problems.

If you aren't willing to do any of the hard work, please don't continue asking us to help you with your problem.

First of all lets drop the 'us' , 'we' and 'you' and political labelling /tagging talk. I think its not adding anything of value except perhaps making 'you' feel like a 'strong' unit.

Im not a fan of Socrates . Nor Kant or heidegger. Why ? Simply because the world today isnt what the world was then.
Party politics arent an interest either.

The world is kind of full. Loads of people compared to when those philosophers were alive. the same goes for the political thinkers and idealogists. they simply arent that relevant for their world was so very different from ours.

I think its key to acknowledge that fact.

Now , then what are the features of the conflicts and challenges we face in this modern world that are hard to solve ?

Seems they have 3 main ingredients :
They are dynamically , socially and generatively complex .

Do agree so far?

dParis
11-23-2011, 01:51 PM

I think I like the way you think, I think. This is a legacy thread for cc, chock full of insight into the mind of cc and other people you may know that are similar to him. One odd thought that keeps popping into my mind for some reason whenever I read this thread is the sympathy I feel for Chopin, who tries so hard - and invariably fails - to manufacture, with gilded prose, a legacy thread of his own while cc stumbles accidentally into TT immortality while barely able to express a comprehensible thought.

Life is funny in that way...

r2473
11-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Im not a fan of Socrates . Nor Kant or heidegger. Why ? Simply because the world today isnt what the world was then. Party politics arent an interest either.

The world is kind of full. Loads of people compared to when those philosophers were alive. the same goes for the political thinkers and idealogists. they simply arent that relevant for their world was so very different from ours.

I think its key to acknowledge that fact.

I would disagree with this. People are fundamentally the same. The things fought over, fundamentally similar. Perhaps the fact that you don't understand this is part of the problem.

I only brought up the socratic method because it seems to be your favored method. No other reason.

chrischris
11-23-2011, 03:10 PM
I would disagree with this. People are fundamentally the same. The things fought over, fundamentally similar. Perhaps the fact that you don't understand this is part of the problem.

I only brought up the socratic method because it seems to be your favored method. No other reason.

I think you may have misunderstood what im aiming at . Im not saying that people are much different from then , although the influences of modern life can perhaps be a factor for good and bad on peoples mind and actions.

Im saying the world is quite a different place.

For instance , take current world population and what that means in demand of energy , water and housing , food , mobile phones etc , and
compare to back then.
Surely you can see that.

LeeD
11-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Fanatic Muslims vs let it be hippies? The same?

r2473
11-23-2011, 03:43 PM
I think you may have misunderstood what im aiming at . Im not saying that people are much different from then , although the influences of modern life can perhaps be a factor for good and bad on peoples mind and actions.

Im saying the world is quite a different place.

For instance , take current world population and what that means in demand of energy , water and housing , food , mobile phones etc , and
compare to back then.
Surely you can see that.

Disagreements about how to use limited resources? Sounds like an old conflict to me. I suspect it might be the oldest and most common.

Are you suggesting that the particular items being disputed make a fundamental difference to resolving such a dispute? And excepting for mobile phones (which is simply a communication device, not a terribly new idea), all the things you listed have been fought about for all of recorded history (and beyond).

chrischris
11-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Sure they have. the difference now is that the supply systems arent able to sustain the demand on a global level and we know it , unlike back then when communications could nor report with the same speed.

i am saying that the challenges today can involve 3fold challenges(dynamical, social and generative) and that we have seen what does not really resolve these challenges and conflicts.¨'

The 2 methods being most frequently employed to solve our toughest social problems either have relied on violence and aggression or submitted to endless negotiation and compromise.
Both of these seem not to get results that are sustainable in the way they can be . You get see saw , yanking government changes back and forth , reoccuring conflicts and rebellious uprisings etc.

Maybe these 2 methods are fundamentally flawed.

r2473
11-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Sure they have. the difference now is that the supply systems arent able to sustain the demand on a global level and we know it , unlike back then when communications could nor report with the same speed.

Not messing around. I really don't understand what this means. It makes no sense.

I have problems with the rest of your post, but I think we should take things one step at a time. You have a tendency to go off in multiple directions at once. Let's try to stay focused on single issues. That might be our best bet at making a slight bit of progress.

Agent Orynge
11-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Not messing around. I really don't understand what this means. It makes no sense.

I have problems with the rest of your post, but I think we should take things one step at a time. You have a tendency to go off in multiple directions at once. Let's try to stay focused on single issues. That might be our best bet at making a slight bit of progress.

"chrischris, you are incredible! If someone had said 'Santa Claus', you'd say 'you can't leave now r2473, we haven't explored the flying reindeer angle'!" - John Travolta, Basic

dParis
11-23-2011, 10:40 PM
"chrischris, you are incredible! If someone had said 'Santa Claus', you'd say 'you can't leave now r2473, we haven't explored the flying reindeer angle'!"
No. If someone had said Santa Claus, he'd say Santa's domicile is in jeopardy due to polar ice melt caused by greenhouse gas emissions "much the way similar to the reality in truth of the Maldives": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ov5fvCHmxo

Agent Orynge
11-23-2011, 11:28 PM
no if someone had said santa claus ,, he'd say santas domicile is in jeopardy due to polar ice melt caused by greenhouse gas emissions 'much the way similar to the reality in truth of the Maldives': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ov5fvCHmxo

Fixed.

10char

chrischris
11-24-2011, 02:14 AM

Its saying that ón the global scale we are running into limits and sometimes demands that cant be met.
For instance there are food and water shortages in some regions and it looks like these issues will increase and spread.

So if we want to ensure our security world wide and our own domestic security we maybe should face the 3 fold challenges in a new way.

Perhaps balancing power with empathy could be a good idea?

aphex
11-24-2011, 03:39 AM
Its saying that ón the global scale we are running into limits and sometimes demands that cant be met.
For instance there are food and water shortages in some regions and it looks like these issues will increase and spread.

So if we want to ensure our security world wide and our own domestic security we maybe should face the 3 fold challenges in a new way.

I have a better idea. Ask God to make everyone in the world rich and happy.

r2473
11-24-2011, 08:27 AM

This is supposed to be about conflict resolution, not solving the worlds problems. However, shortages are as old as the world itself. Perhaps your belief that you are trying to solve something brand new, something unique to the present time, impairs your ability. Perhaps there are very specific problems unique to the present age, but in general, these problems are the same thing faced by every generation. It almost seems to me that you are trying to solve "the human condition". I suspect you enjoy philosophy more than you know.

Also, though you claim to not be a "fan" of Plato or soctrates (though I suspect you have never read the material), you do have tendency to look for idealized as opposed to practical solutions. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this. It can be quite instructive even if the solutions cannot actually be applied to "real world" dynamics.

My advice to you actually would be to read Marx. I think you would be very sympathetic with his views. Marx is well worth careful study. I think you would get much more out of Marx as opposed to (what appears to me) your current method of trying to apply something reminicent of "self help" blather to philosophic problems.

I will say that it is refreshing to see a young person such as yourself interested in this type of study, but I would advise that you spend time and read the "classic" works as opposed to taking the rather aimless path you are taking now. Reading the classics is hard work and requires hours of patient study. Its not for lazy people that just like to spout off (so perhaps it may not be for you).

chrischris
11-24-2011, 08:27 AM

Why is that a better idea?

chrischris
11-24-2011, 08:33 AM
This is supposed to be about conflict resolution, not solving the worlds problems. However, shortages are as old as the world itself. Perhaps your belief that you are trying to solve something brand new, something unique to the present time, impairs your ability. Perhaps there are very specific problems unique to the present age, but in general, these problems are the same thing faced by every generation. It almost seems to me that you are trying to solve "the human condition". I suspect you enjoy philosophy more than you know.

Also, though you claim to not be a "fan" of Plato or soctrates (though I suspect you have never read the material), you do have tendency to look for idealized as opposed to practical solutions. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this. It can be quite instructive even if the solutions cannot actually be applied to "real world" dynamics.

My advice to you actually would be to read Marx. I think you would be very sympathetic with his views. Marx is well worth careful study. I think you would get much more out of Marx as opposed to (what appears to me) your current method of trying to apply something reminicent of "self help" blather to philosophic problems.

I will say that it is refreshing to see a young person such as yourself interested in this type of study, but I would advise that you spend time and read the "classic" works as opposed to taking the rather aimless path you are taking now. Reading the classics is hard work and requires hours of patient study. Its not for lazy people that just like to spout off (so perhaps it may not be for you).

I think im being systematic.
I think i maybe am , just like you say, looking the actual problems in the world
as its only by doing so one can see what conflicts they have thet get stuck.
Then one can see what options/choices have been used and what they have led to short, medium and longterm.
Once thats done its then possible to come to conclusions of what the outcomes are and have been .
Its a puzzle , no doubt.
But again, first a look at what the ingriedients/components are at hand amd then sorting out how they function and then (drumroll) new perspectives on solutions that might have better results than aggressive violence or pacifistic selfindulgent stances.

mikeler
11-24-2011, 09:04 AM
The answer to this thread: Capitulation.

Fifth Set
11-24-2011, 10:35 AM
I think i maybe am , just like you say, looking the actual problems in the world
Then one can see what options/choices have been used and what they have led to short, medium and longterm.
Once thats done its then possible to come to conclusions of what the outcomes are and have been .
Its a puzzle , no doubt.
But again, first a look at what the ingriedients/components are at hand amd then sorting out how they function and then (drumroll) new perspectives on solutions that might have better results than aggressive violence or pacifistic selfindulgent stances.

Huh?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/373940_201577089918498_127432237332984_475561_5799 13773_n.jpg

r2473
11-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Its a puzzle , no doubt.

The reason you are prone to unresolved conflicts is because you have a "contrary" personality. For example, if someone talks in a generalized manner, you will demand specifics. Likewise, if someone speaks in specifics, you will demand generalized concepts. That tendency alone will almost guarantee conflict with your "debate" partner. It's an easy way to "score points" in "internet" arguments, but it is a worthless (in fact quite harmful) strategy if you are arguing in good faith to resolve conflict.

You also have many additional annoying personality traits that invite rather than resolve controversy. For example, you have a victim mentality. You are also very passive aggressive. If I can say this without insulting you too much, you have many feminine personality traits. Women are often comfortable in the role of victim. But I won't go into that any further.

If you are serious about improving in this area, you ought to look at your own specific personality traits and work to develop positive traits. At the moment you have many negative traits that you mask as positive.

Along the lines of my last sentence (but completely off topic), I've always been fascinated by the fact that humans can "lie to themselves". If you think about the structure of a lie, you normally have one person that possesses the truth but reports what is false and another person that is duped. Easy enough to understand. But when you lie to yourself you are both the one that possesses the truth AND the one that is duped at the very same time. An apparent contradiction, but yet something that we are all familiar with happening in our own lives.

Well anyway, best of luck chris. I suspect you will continue along the same path until you become a little "less smart" than you are now. Maybe in 10+ years or so. Until then, have fun with your games.

Anyway, what actual problem do you want to resolve? Water rights of specific geographic regions? Agricultural practices of specific areas? Specific transportation issues? Or just generalized concepts in the area of water conservation and feeding the poor? Or both? Or neither? I suspect all of it and none of it. An apparent contradiction, but one that works for you.

chrischris
11-24-2011, 11:37 AM
The reason you are prone to unresolved conflicts is because you have a "contrary" personality. For example, if someone talks in a generalized manner, you will demand specifics. Likewise, if someone speaks in specifics, you will demand generalized concepts. That tendency alone will almost guarantee conflict with your "debate" partner. It's an easy way to "score points" in "internet" arguments, but it is a worthless (in fact quite harmful) strategy if you are arguing in good faith to resolve conflict.

You also have many additional annoying personality traits that invite rather than resolve controversy. For example, you have a victim mentality. You are also very passive aggressive. If I can say this without insulting you too much, you have many feminine personality traits. Women are often comfortable in the role of victim. But I won't go into that any further.

If you are serious about improving in this area, you ought to look at your own specific personality traits and work to develop positive traits. At the moment you have many negative traits that you mask as positive.

Along the lines of my last sentence (but completely off topic), I've always been fascinated by the fact that humans can "lie to themselves". If you think about the structure of a lie, you normally have one person that possesses the truth but reports what is false and another person that is duped. Easy enough to understand. But when you lie to yourself you are both the one that possesses the truth AND the one that is duped at the very same time. An apparent contradiction, but yet something that we are all familiar with happening in our own lives.

Well anyway, best of luck chris. I suspect you will continue along the same path until you become a little "less smart" than you are now. Maybe in 10+ years or so. Until then, have fun with your games.

Anyway, what actual problem do you want to resolve? Water rights of specific geographic regions? Agricultural practices of specific areas? Specific transportation issues? Or just generalized concepts in the area of water conservation and feeding the poor? Or both? Or neither? I suspect all of it and none of it. An apparent contradiction, but one that works for you.

I wonder whats negative about wanting find ways of solving conflicts?

r2473
11-24-2011, 12:37 PM
I wonder whats negative about wanting find ways of solving conflicts?

Nothing. Carry on.

Agent Orynge
11-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Nothing. Carry on.

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/septoct05/origmovealong.jpg

Move along. Move along.

mikeler
11-24-2011, 01:34 PM
http://4chanmemeandmotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/regret_-_those_were_the_droids_i_was_looking_for.jpg

Agent Orynge
11-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Did you copy that from the other thread I put it in?

mikeler
11-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Did you copy that from the other thread I put it in?

No, somebody emailed it to me a few weeks ago. So I just Googled it.

Agent Orynge
11-24-2011, 02:59 PM
I wonder, does anyone have any good links explaining what kind of an impact Banthas have on greenhouse emissions?

How long does it take for a droid battery to decay?

mikeler
11-24-2011, 03:06 PM
^^^ Great questions

chrischris
11-25-2011, 03:21 AM
A great way of solving conflicts seems to be humor .

aphex
11-25-2011, 03:35 AM
A great way of solving conflicts seems to be humor .

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs30/i/2008/137/a/b/__I_know_now_why_you_cry___by_pichulin.jpg

Bartelby
11-25-2011, 04:37 AM
I do recall you being particularly sanctimonious about your abstinence from politics vis-a-vis those who are not, as I recall I've never made such a claim.

Oh boy, this thread is going to spiral out of control. It hurt me not to respond to Bart but I wanted to take the high road on this Thanksgiving Eve. :)

Bartelby
11-25-2011, 04:39 AM
Nobody can accuse me of indirection or hypocrisy on that score.

ah, it appears that the chickens have (disengenuously) come home to roost-haha.

Sound. Familiar. 'Bro?

Pot. Kettle. Black.
Game. Set. Match.

Waiter. Check. Please.

Bartelby
11-25-2011, 04:41 AM
God only delivers for the 1%.

aphex
11-25-2011, 05:14 AM
God only delivers for the 1%.

Yep, the same 1% that works hardest/is smartest...what a coincidence, huh?

chrischris
11-25-2011, 05:32 AM

Arent some just born into it and cant be 'blamed'?

Or are they all the hardest workers and the smartest that are steadily replaced by others that outperform and outwork them so that its a dynamic strong system?

Bartelby
11-25-2011, 05:36 AM
You missed the cut, obviously.

chrischris
11-25-2011, 06:02 AM
On the topic of the thread :
Adam Kahane ( formely of Royal Dutch Shell oil company)
has written some interesting stuff.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/20/kahane.html

thug the bunny
11-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Wow, I just read this thread from the beginning (yes I'm bored), and the one thing I take away is that chrischris likes contrary mental masturbation. Indeed he is the very picture of a modern day Socrates. Kind of like an annoying lawyer performing a cross-examination that goes absolutely nowhere.

chris, let's say you do find an answer to conflict resolution, or resource supply and distribution, or the meaning of civilization, or the human condition. Where do you go from there? Call a big meeting with all of the world's leaders to share your revelations with them?

Or, is it all just contrary mental masturbation?

Joe Pike
11-25-2011, 08:29 AM
I was discussing and arguing last night with my brother about many different things.
He says its always best to discuss and talk to find common ground to solve conflicts . I thought it sounded to much a cliche and if it were only that easy there wouldnt be any .
We got stuck after a while. i dont know what makes it that way for i was a good listener i think but maybe family is sometimes too close and too delicate an arena for some topics of current state of things in the nation.
I think maybe some of you out there know some general strategies that work on conflicts small medium and big.

What methods do you guys like that can make 'stuckness' go away ?

I'd say a pump gun in my hands.

r2473
11-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Indeed he is the very picture of a modern day Socrates.

Let's not get carried away here. Plato obviously produced masterworks that continue to educate.

One thing you want to keep in mind as you engage with chris is that normally uses a standard debate technique of not responding directly to another person's questions, but expects others to respond to his. What is the purpose of this? Obviously the person that asks the question has already framed the discussion in a certain way. Think of how a lawyer cross-examines a witness and you will understand the power of this technique.

Once you notice anyone doing this, you can be pretty sure that arguing with this person will be a complete waste of time.

chrischris
11-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Wow, I just read this thread from the beginning (yes I'm bored), and the one thing I take away is that chrischris likes contrary mental masturbation. Indeed he is the very picture of a modern day Socrates. Kind of like an annoying lawyer performing a cross-examination that goes absolutely nowhere.

chris, let's say you do find an answer to conflict resolution, or resource supply and distribution, or the meaning of civilization, or the human condition. Where do you go from there? Call a big meeting with all of the world's leaders to share your revelations with them?

Of course its not your so called m.m.

Im hugely interested in the mechanisms and dyanmics that are involved in conflicts /challenges.
It seems in the past its been a choice between active aggression and even outright violnece or the 'peace' and 'love' deal like what the hippies fiddeled around with.
Neither seesm to function in that both seem to cause unstable results that arent healthy even in the short term.

So im keen on seeing what you guys have to say , and i can say whay i am finding out ( although a few 'cant read' what i am saying or perhaps read into it a whole lot of noise or topics from other threads)
And im very keen on hearing what you guys out there can be thinking and suggesting that can be good ideas. Thats it basically.

If i learn methods thet really work , id first and foremost try them in my personal life and undertakings in business and entrepreneurships.

How would you , yourself, use a functioning method if you had one?

mikeler
11-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I do recall you being particularly sanctimonious about your abstinence from politics vis-a-vis those who are not, as I recall I've never made such a claim.

Do ever visit political forums? All that pent up rage should be directed there.

thug the bunny
11-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Of course I ain't sayin chris is at Plato's level, just his use of dialectic. When I had to study Plato's Dialoges I remember how annoying Socrates was. I used to think, if I were General Blahblah (the poor shmuck Socrates was questioning) I would have punched Soctrates by now. I got your dialectic right here...

chris, the reason I call it mental masturbation is that if you mean conflict resolution on a large scale, it is moot since any revelations will not have any practical impact, and if you mean conflict resolution on a personal level, then that is simply a part of the art of living and there as many ways of realizing it as there are situations and individuals. It is such a vague and at the same time personal topic. It's kind of like asking, 'How should I resolve getting angry?'

Limpinhitter
11-25-2011, 10:50 AM

Hmm! Civilization describes the relationship that humans have with each other when they understand and accept the importance of compromise.

Limpinhitter
11-25-2011, 10:55 AM

Interesting! I didn't read the whole thread (not a chance), I just anwered the OP's question in one of his first posts in which he explains that his conflict with his brother is about the meaning of civilization. And, the conversation seems to have landed on the issues of dispute resolution, resource distribution, which is closely related to my answer to the OP that civilization is founded upon compromize.

Kam2010
11-25-2011, 11:00 AM
In my opinion if you have an argument with someone put the arguments together with evidence of what each argument is trying to proove and work it out from there or get a mediator/friend/family member or whoever with both arguments together and come to some sort of solution from then on..

But petty arguments be the man and explain if someone CLEARLY is wrong if they can't handle it leave them to it
If they are right, swallow your pride and handle the truth.

chrischris
11-27-2011, 04:52 AM
My studies continue..
It seems like the will to realize oneself , the desire to achieve ones purose has to be tempered with the urge to unite with others .

Power without love is reckless and abusive and love without power is sentimenal and anemic.

Does that make sense?

Bartelby
11-27-2011, 04:55 AM
You're the one skulking around with repressed anger making political posts and tut-tutting whenever somebody makes it obvious to you what you're doing.

Do ever visit political forums? All that pent up rage should be directed there.

mikeler
11-27-2011, 05:47 AM
You're the one skulking around with repressed anger making political posts and tut-tutting whenever somebody makes it obvious to you what you're doing.

Just let it go brother. You'll feel better once the hate is gone.

chrischris
11-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Boys, lay down your guns .

Get back on topic and save the ' i am and you are 's for another thread.

mikeler
11-27-2011, 02:06 PM
We are trying to show you how to solve a conflict.

Agent Orynge
11-27-2011, 02:22 PM
How do you start a conflict?

chrischris
11-27-2011, 02:56 PM

Ok, i am missing the nuances here then :)
What are you saying that is a new angle and new method of approaching and disarming a conflict?

Fifth Set
11-27-2011, 03:12 PM
What are you saying that is a new angle and new method of approaching and disarming a conflict?

It's not new and doesn't appear to be disarming but the method should be obvious by now.

When an amateur philosopher cuts and pastes Move On slogans and Daily Kos-approved YouTube videos under the transparent guise of "new methods of solving conflicts," call him out on it.

Then, watch him spin himself into a frenzy of more useless observations. Usually, this ultimately encourages said philosopher to become interesting or relegate himself to the dust bin of Chopin.

Something tells me that isn't going to work here. Please continue with whatever it is you're trying to prove. :confused:

chrischris
11-27-2011, 03:30 PM
It's not new and doesn't appear to be disarming but the method should be obvious by now.

When an amateur philosopher cuts and pastes Move On slogans and Daily Kos-approved YouTube videos under the transparent guise of "new methods of solving conflicts," call him out on it.

Then, watch him spin himself into a frenzy of more useless observations. Usually, this ultimately encourages said philosopher to become interesting or relegate himself to the dust bin of Chopin.

Something tells me that isn't going to work here. Please continue with whatever it is you're trying to prove. :confused:

Spare me your hunches and let Mikeler answer for himself.

It becomes easier that way and less schizo-like , if you know what i mean. Thanks.

Agent Orynge
11-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Spare me your hunches and let Mikeler answer for himself.

It becomes easier that way and less schizo-like , if you know what i mean. Thanks.

I don't. What does 'schizo-like' mean?

chrischris
11-27-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't. What does 'schizo-like' mean?

What don't you do? I cant see what you mean..

Simply saying , let a person speak for him or herself. `

Ok?

Agent Orynge
11-27-2011, 03:55 PM
I don't think you understand my question. What is your definition of the term 'schizo-like'?

mikeler
11-28-2011, 05:51 AM

That was a joke.

Bartelby
11-28-2011, 05:53 AM
Just let it go brother. You'll feel better once the hate is gone.

Bartelby
11-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Yes, well, you really can't do humour, then.

That was a joke.

chrischris
11-28-2011, 03:22 PM
So , can it be accepted that neither the sappy all you need is love idea nor the oppressive violent method of solving conflicts are satisfying in this day and age and world of knowledge and lessons learnt the hard way?

Agent Orynge
11-28-2011, 03:41 PM
I don't think you understand my question. What is your definition of the term 'schizo-like'?

I wasn't being rhetorical. Would you mind answering my question?

r2473
11-28-2011, 03:47 PM
I wasn't being rhetorical. Would you mind answering my question?

Fifth Set
11-28-2011, 03:51 PM
So , can it be accepted that neither the sappy all you need is love idea nor the oppressive violent method of solving conflicts are satisfying in this day and age and world of knowledge and lessons learnt the hard way?

Amazing that you're still at it bro!

How about taking this thread in an interesting direction for once - explain to us why your written English is so poor?

r2473
11-28-2011, 05:13 PM
How about taking this thread in an interesting direction for once - explain to us why your written English is so poor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iSD9lPVY6Q

chrischris
11-29-2011, 04:32 AM

For sure.

I want to see what you can add as an idea outside of the already mentioned choice between hippielike love ideas of passivity or violent oppressive aggression?
These 2 seem to be the most frequent so what do you think can be a better option?

mikeler
11-29-2011, 05:00 AM
Yes, well, you really can't do humour, then.

I, guess, not, if, you, get, my, drift.

KenC
11-29-2011, 05:38 AM
Has anyone ever thought about how far we have come in communications technologies? We have the Internet, global telephone communications, email and progress just keeps marching on. But, our ability to communicate is becoming so substandard and incomprehensible. The irony is with all the communications technologies you would think we could at least start resolving conflicts, yet they just encourage us to have many more conflicts.

Bartelby
11-29-2011, 05:47 AM
We have been subject to an overly optimistic interpretation of communications technology. The attempt by mainstream media to appear interactive only serves to illustrate how dominant the broadcast model is and will still be. All the latest innovations seem predicated on bringing communication back into the corporate tent, whether that be apps or social media.

thug the bunny
11-29-2011, 06:18 AM

He won't do it dude. chris is of the opinion that his writing is fine. What he does most often is use long dependent and independent clauses without setting them off with punctuation which produces run on sentences that you don't know how to parse which you have to try grouping the words in different ways until you find one that makes sense but most often you won't find it because other grammatical errors will stymie your efforts or sometimes because of poor spelling you still can't find a way to understand him.

And then he keeps on harping with the hippie love/aggressive violence dichotomy. Just tiresome.

This entire thread belongs in the 'Things that annoy you' thread. I'm done. Sayonara chrischris!

chrischris
11-29-2011, 07:02 AM
Has anyone ever thought about how far we have come in communications technologies? We have the Internet, global telephone communications, email and progress just keeps marching on. But, our ability to communicate is becoming so substandard and incomprehensible. The irony is with all the communications technologies you would think we could at least start resolving conflicts, yet they just encourage us to have many more conflicts.

It has reached far , but in many directions at once. I dont have the stats nor have i studied it but its possible that the end results is that people are more 'on top' of things.
I am not sure kid nor teenagers for that matter use the internet to gain in communicational skills.

Bartelby
11-29-2011, 07:02 AM
A former state department employee is being sacked for writing an opinion outside his area of employment in a blog while the state department spends millions on defending social media as an agency for democracy, so communication is not exactly the telos of communications technology.

Bartelby
11-29-2011, 07:06 AM
You use punctuation like a cop with pepper spray.

I, guess, not, if, you, get, my, drift.

Fifth Set
11-29-2011, 07:13 AM
What he does most often is use long dependent and independent clauses without setting them off with punctuation which produces run on sentences that you don't know how to parse which you have to try grouping the words in different ways until you find one that makes sense but most often you won't find it because other grammatical errors will stymie your efforts or sometimes because of poor spelling you still can't find a way to understand him.

LOL. Oh no, another 400 word sentence. Chrissy has hijacked your account!

http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/MMPH/187019.jpg

mikeler
11-29-2011, 08:02 AM
You use punctuation like a cop with pepper spray.

You did not get my drift then.

Bartelby
11-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Yes, I got the drift of pepper spray from your right wing addled brain.

You did not get my drift then.

Agent Orynge
11-29-2011, 09:40 AM
A former state department employee is being sacked for writing an opinion outside his area of employment in a blog while the state department spends millions on defending social media as an agency for democracy, so communication is not exactly the telos of communications technology.

Have the persons responsible for the sacking been sacked?

thug the bunny
11-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Dammit AO you got to it before me.

All I have left to contribute is Ralph the Wonder Llama...

mikeler
11-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Anybody here have some more pepper spray? I ran out.

chrischris
11-29-2011, 02:17 PM
At this point , a question like : 'Do you view the world as an infinite garbage can ? ' could get a discussion going . Or probably not.