PDA

View Full Version : Strung a racket for a friend,charge him or not?

Ballinbob
11-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Here is my situation:

I'm not a pro stringer by any means, and i dont have that much experience. I can string my own racket just fine, but dont have any experience with other rackets like I said.

Long story short, I strung my friends racket badly and I feel bad about it. The racket will still play fine and everything I'm sure, but I think I skipped the wrong holes or something and you can definitely tell its not done 100% correctly.

The strings were $15, and I really dont want to charge my friend for a bad string job. I should never have agreed to string his racket in the first place. My dad on the other hand says give him the racket and see what my friend says. He wants me to charge him.

What is the right thing to do? I made a mistake and dont want to lose the guy as a friend, and the racket is playable.

Help ?:?

Fearsome Forehand
11-06-2011, 11:48 AM
If you messed up the string job, it is a freebie unless he absolutely insists on paying you something out of pity.

If you don't know how to string that well, don't take stringing jobs for pay. Learn on your own rackets first, get really good at those, and then you should be okay to string for others. Pay attention to the details and constantly check for misweaves. Make sure you are aware of the skipped holes, the tie offs, etc.

Typically, a misweave is a freebie. If you took your racket into a stringer and he screwed it up, I doubt you would say okay fine, I'll pay you anyway. You would say re-string it the right way or I'm not paying you for it. Same rules apply when you screw up.

Even the best stringers screw one up now and then. They then proceed to cut the new strings out and restring the racket the correct way. The customer usually never knows about the problem because most for pay stringers don't want to advertise that they screwed up.

scotus
11-06-2011, 11:50 AM
IMHO, beginners shouldn't attempt to make money off stringing.

If you want to build experience, you can have your friend bring his own string in and you can provide free service until you get good enough. Tell him you would string for free for the first 3-4 months (hopefully no more than 1 or 2 racquets a month) and then will start charging for labor, once you have improved your skills. In the meantime, you should practice as much as you can on your own racquets.

Most professionals would re-do the job for free if they misweaved or skipped the wrong hole, so I don't think you should charge your friend.

Larrysümmers
11-06-2011, 11:53 AM
freee. be out right honest with it. if he doesnt feel like he should pay, then he has the right to not pay.
but dont give it to him and not say anything.

Ballinbob
11-06-2011, 12:48 PM
yeah i just met with him and I told him I wasnt going to charge him anything for it. He said it didnt look too bad and said if it played okay then he would pay me.

He thought the racket played good and insisted on paying me, so I accepted. However, I did recommend my friend who is a pro stringer for next time and I definitely learned my lesson.

Wont be making that mistake again, it was pretty embarrassing.

Fearsome Forehand
11-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Your friend is too nice.

At least, give him half off. Or, his next two misweaves for free. :)