PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK for a racquet restringer to change my grip without my asking?

jackzon
11-12-2011, 02:11 PM
I left my racquet at a new tennis shop to be restrung. When I picked it up they had changed my grip even though I hadn't asked them to do that. They also changed the grip to a type of material that just doesn't feel right to me. And of course the old grip was not falling apart at all.

This has never happened before. I'm guessing this is way out of line.

kike_valerin
11-12-2011, 02:16 PM
for me, that Im a Stringer is not OK

they will have to tell u before they string the raquet...

jedd
11-12-2011, 03:21 PM
not ok :-o

mctennis
11-12-2011, 03:24 PM
I agree- not okay. Ask them why they did it. See what their answer is. Maybe it is a legit one. I'm guessing it isn't BUT at least give them a chance to give you a good answer. Next time tell them what you want does " And that's ALL I want done".

jackzon
11-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Ask them why they did it. See what their answer is. They said it was falling apart, which is a lie

Hot Sauce
11-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Of course not, lol. Unless the grip was on the house.

TheOneHander
11-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Even if it was free, it's not professional to not consult the customer first. I wouldn't go back there again unless there's some other, really bizarre circumstance that we're missing here. It's also concerning that they couldn't match the grip types, which to me shows a lack of competence.

ATP100
11-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Easy Answer: NO

autumn_leaf
11-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Half and half on this one. If it was falling apart then it's usually fine as a complimentary service. If it was perfectly fine, then not professional to do so.

I think never going back to the shop is extreme, that should really be based on the string job and professionalism of the staff. If they did lie to you then don't go back, but something might have happened to your grip while in the shop, like maybe someone spilled coffee or water on it by accident. In this situation I would've liked to them to admit it, but people have trouble admitting mistakes.

If you want to give them another chance just ask them not to change the grip.

Andreas1965
11-13-2011, 01:10 AM
I'm not a prof. stringer, I do it only for the teammates and friends.
When I have the feeling a grip should be renewed, I always ask it's owner if I should change it while stringing the racquet.

Exeption of the rule: my father. If I wouldn't interfere, he would play with the same grip since 1982. And complain about the grip all the time ;)

r2473
11-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Sounds like he was trying to be a nice guy, give you the bounus of a free new grip, and make you a happy customer. Clearly it had the opposite effect.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Why don't you just tell him that you like "grip X" and not "grip Y" that he put on your racquet. Maybe he'll get you a "grip X". Maybe he'll give you free labor on the next string job for your inconvenience.

Or maybe its just best if you two just never speak again.

bigmatt
11-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Always ask if the customer wants something done, even if you're going to do it for free.
If they did something to mess up your grip, they should own up to it and tell you, then give you your choice of replacement.

El Diablo
11-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Did he save the old grip for you in a little sandwich bag, just in case it had enormous sentimental value?

angharad
11-14-2011, 09:35 AM
They should have asked you first. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with them replacing my grip as long as it was replaced with the exact same thing. Changing it to something else would bother me.

Sanavan
11-14-2011, 09:49 AM
I have never heard anything like this before...
I always put a new overgrip on my racquets before I send them to be restrung. Nobody needs to deal with my filthy overgrip.

Did they charge you for this new overgrip?

SirGounder
11-14-2011, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't be too upset if it was free but the fact that it is different would bug me. Not ok in my mind.

scotus
11-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Just to clarify, you are talking about the original/replacement grip, rather than the overgrip, right?

Mike Bulgakov
11-14-2011, 10:47 PM
I left my racquet at a new tennis shop to be restrung. When I picked it up they had changed my grip even though I hadn't asked them to do that. They also changed the grip to a type of material that just doesn't feel right to me. And of course the old grip was not falling apart at all.

This has never happened before. I'm guessing this is way out of line.

This is very strange and I would be angry if this happened to me, as I am only comfortable with certain grips. Were you charged for the new grip? If so, you were scammed and should not pay for the new grip. If they did not charge you, adding free grips to racquets they string seems like an odd business model.

dParis
11-15-2011, 05:19 AM
I wish I got this type of service where I get my hair cut. :grin: