PDA

View Full Version : My dog's breath smells like fish

jaybear1909
11-12-2011, 07:39 PM
The dummy ate some liquid tablet supplement and now his breath smells like rotten fish. I tried rubbing just a *tiny* bit of chocolate in his mouth but the smell persists.

Can't think of how to make it smell like the good ol' puppy breath.

FYI the supplement was organic and it was over 2 hours ago and he's fine :P. But his breath is kickin'.

pabletion
11-12-2011, 07:52 PM
killit!!!!!!!!!!

angharad
11-13-2011, 06:57 AM
First...never give your dog any amount of chocolate. It can be incredibly poisonous or even fatal, although the amount at which it becomes fatal varies from dog to dog.

Second...just give it some time. Maybe get one of those mint-flavored rope or rubber chews. Why are you smelling your dog's breath anyway?

juanparty
11-13-2011, 12:39 PM
hahahaahaha dumb dog!, race?

chrischris
11-13-2011, 01:02 PM
There are dogs foods made of scrap fish parts dosed with colors and additives and even chocolate. Cancer begging crap imo. If you like your dog , get him cleaner foods.

Fifth Set
11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
How are you so sure that the smell came from tablets?

Have there been any worn women's undergarments in the house recently? :twisted:

Magic of tennis
11-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Why are you smelling your dog's breath anyway?

lol don't you smell your puppy's breath? We all smell our dog's breath. It just happens since we live close by with our pets

Magic of tennis
11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
How are you so sure that the smell came from tablets?

lol that was hilarious :mrgreen:

travlerajm
11-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Rotten fish smell comes from basic compounds: putrescine and cadaverine. These compounds are produced as the fish rots - fresh fish has no smell.

These bases can be neutralized by eating/drinking acidic food or drink:
Citrus, lemonade, vinegar, etc. Or even adding buffer (baking soda)to the dog's water will help.

Dripping lemon juice onto foul smelling fish is a trick that takes away the fish smell. You can use it at home to make fish taste more palatable. Or for fishy smelling shrimp, a good way to take away the smell is to soak it in water with lemon juice (and let it marinate for 10 minutes).

Fedace
11-13-2011, 08:46 PM
You need to take it to the Dog Emergency room Right NOW. GET in the car and Drive. you may have killed your dog's liver with that Chocolate. and he could be deathly ill by tomorrow because of you. you need to have it seen by Doctor in ER vet hospital NOW. GOoooooooooooooooooooooo

Claudius
11-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Of all things, you decide to give your dog chocolate to freshen his breath? Go die in a hole.

Can't think of a name
11-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Yeah why did you choose chocolate? Not only does it create bad breath.. it is also toxic to dogs. And another thing.. I assume the supplement means "organic" in the sense that its "all natural". Just because something is all natural does not make it good for you or any other animal. Many plants are poisonous to humans.. yet they are all natural. Uranium 235 is natural.. not fit for human consumption. (I have a pet peeve for ignorant hipsters buying "natural" medicines just because they believe "natural" means healthy). Anyways, sorry about that tangent. The point is the supplement may be declared safe for human consumption however might be toxic to your dog.

thug the bunny
11-14-2011, 05:58 AM
You should not own a dog. I hope you don't have kids.

Sanavan
11-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Maybe you shoud post this on a vetenarian forum... it might be a good start

athiker
11-14-2011, 06:41 AM
Relax on the whole chocolate thing...yes its toxic but its not ricin! A quote "tiny bit in his mouth" is not going to hurt a normal sized healthy dog. Not something recommended of course, but the doggy does not need to be rushed to doggy emergency room or taken away from his home by child...I mean dog...services.

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM

http://www.dogtopics.com/165/7-questions-about-dogs-and-chocolate/

I'm a dog owner and lover but sometimes the hype of certain things gets a little out of hand.

On the other hand bad dog breath can be caused by poor gum/teeth hygiene or other health issues. Are you sure the bad breath started w/ the supplements? If he only ate the supplements by accident like you say then all you need is time for the smell to fade and go away.

Sentinel
11-14-2011, 06:58 AM
To take away the fish smell feed your dear puppy some decent delicacies like Hákarl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl) or Surströmming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming) or Kiviak. He'll thank you for it.

And you are most welcome for my advice.

jaybear1909
11-14-2011, 04:34 PM
He's alive and kicking. Breath's better, his morning breath cancelled it out.

And I AM going to have kids and I'm going to spoil them. With chocolate.

I know it was the supplements and not women's underwear because when I picked up the supplements, my hand smelled like fish. Then I smelled his breath and I made an immediate connection.

I think it was a testosterone pill lol. He did get a little excited to see me afterwards, but I'm pretty sure the two have no correlation. Haha.

He's a Miniature Dachshund and he is actually pretty smart. Just likes to chew things. I really have no idea on earth where he found these pills.

jaybear1909
11-14-2011, 04:36 PM
There are dogs foods made of scrap fish parts dosed with colors and additives and even chocolate. Cancer begging crap imo. If you like your dog , get him cleaner foods.

This came from left field. I feed him Puppy Chow. :confused:

jaybear1909
11-14-2011, 05:01 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/avsi1u.jpg

That's him by the way

rommil
11-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Feed him Febreeze.

Larrysümmers
11-14-2011, 05:12 PM
lmfao you people crack me up

NickC
11-14-2011, 05:25 PM

Fedace must have been there!

athiker
11-14-2011, 05:48 PM

That's him by the way

Great pic! I had dachshunds growing up...lots of personality.

Fedace
11-14-2011, 06:20 PM

That's him by the way

If you care about your dog:

Items to avoid Reasons to avoid:

Alcoholic beverages Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

Avocado The leaves, seeds, fruit, and bark contain persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea.

Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.

Cat food Generally too high in protein and fats.

Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea and be toxic to the heart and nervous systems.

Citrus oil extracts Can cause vomiting.
Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis.

Fish (raw, canned or cooked) If fed exclusively or in high amounts can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death.

Grapes, raisins and currants Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys. There have been no problems associated with grape seed extract.

Hops Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.

Human vitamin supplements containing iron Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.

Macadamia nuts Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Marijuana Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Milk and other dairy products Some adult dogs and cats may develop diarrhea if given large amounts of dairy products.

Moldy or spoiled food, garbage Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.

Mushrooms Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.

Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Persimmons Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

Pits from peaches and plums Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.
Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

Raw meat May contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea.

Rhubarb leaves Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.

Salt If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.
String Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."

Sugary foods Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.

Table scraps (in large amounts) Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.

Tobacco Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.

Yeast dough Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.

Xylitol (artificial sweetener) Can cause very low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), which can result in vomiting, weakness and collapse. In high doses can cause liver failure.

Can't think of a name
11-14-2011, 06:25 PM
^^^ a nice steaming pile of copy pasta

Mike Bulgakov
11-14-2011, 11:17 PM
The dummy ate some liquid tablet supplement and now his breath smells like rotten fish. I tried rubbing just a *tiny* bit of chocolate in his mouth but the smell persists.

Can't think of how to make it smell like the good ol' puppy breath.

FYI the supplement was organic and it was over 2 hours ago and he's fine :P. But his breath is kickin'.
Is this a serious post? You left supplements around which your puppy ate, and you call him a dummy. You tried rubbing chocolate, which is toxic to dogs, in his mouth to remove a fish smell? How, exactly, is that going to work?

Why is your dog's breath so important? Hopefully, you two are not locking tongues.
To take away the fish smell feed your dear puppy some decent delicacies like Hákarl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl) or Surströmming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming) or Kiviak. He'll thank you for it.

And you are most welcome for my advice.
I doubt that even Swedish dogs would be tempted by surströmming, but this is good solution.

thug the bunny
11-15-2011, 04:48 AM
This came from left field. I feed him Puppy Chow. :confused:

Purina Puppy Chow? Check the ingredients. I'll bet the first one is corn meal. Corn is cheap and has high caloric content but it's not good for dogs. Get a food that has meat as the first ingredient. Blue Buffalo is good. I like Rachael Ray's line of dog food and I'll also take Rachael while I'm at it...

FloridaAG
11-15-2011, 04:54 AM
We give our dog Wellness - same principle as Blue Buffalo with meat as primary ingredient.

jaybear1909
11-15-2011, 05:18 AM
Is this a serious post? You left supplements around which your puppy ate, and you call him a dummy. You tried rubbing chocolate, which is toxic to dogs, in his mouth to remove a fish smell? How, exactly, is that going to work?

Why is your dog's breath so important? Hopefully, you two are not locking tongues.

I doubt that even Swedish dogs would be tempted by surströmming, but this is good solution.

Absolutely no idea where the supplements came from so you can count me out of that one. I guess he's just a SUPER TOUGH DOG considering he didn't die over the microscopic amount of chocolate that I rubbed in his mouth and rinsed. COME ON.

His breath is important because he is a puppy and he licks. Is a dog's breath only important if you intend to lock tongues? Would hate to have been one of your puppies :o.

jaybear1909
11-15-2011, 05:19 AM
Purina Puppy Chow? Check the ingredients. I'll bet the first one is corn meal. Corn is cheap and has high caloric content but it's not good for dogs. Get a food that has meat as the first ingredient. Blue Buffalo is good. I like Rachael Ray's line of dog food and I'll also take Rachael while I'm at it...

Rachael will have you bigger than the side of the house if you're not careful. And I'm not talking about your manhood...

Dedans Penthouse
11-15-2011, 05:43 AM
Is this a serious post? ....Why is your dog's breath so important?

Really, what's the big deal? Many, many times I've 'come up for air' with my breath smelling like fish--it's all good. From there, off to the dentist to get a haircut.

Sentinel
11-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Just wondering, how does your fish's breath smell ?

thug the bunny
11-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Rachael will have you bigger than the side of the house if you're not careful. And I'm not talking about your manhood...

It would be worth it though.

thug the bunny
11-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Really, what's the big deal? Many, many times I've 'come up for air' with my breath smelling like fish--it's all good. From there, off to the dentist to get a haircut.

Your sistah should practice better personal hygiene:shock:

Fifth Set
11-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Just wondering, how does your fish's breath smell ?

Like rotten dog, of course, but the harder question is what he fed the fish to try to solve the problem.

Mercury perhaps?

Sentinel
11-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Maybe your "dog" should be eatin more sausage instead of sardines.

CCNM
11-16-2011, 02:18 PM

That's him by the way

Awwww!!! Adorable!!!!! At least he isn't eating his excrement, which is what our lab did toward the end of her life. :(

r2473
11-16-2011, 02:23 PM
We give our dog Wellness - same principle as Blue Buffalo with meat as primary ingredient.

We feed our dog prime grade kobe steak.

The rest of the family gets McDonalds, buckets of KFC, and Doritos.

Sentinel
11-17-2011, 09:26 PM
We feed our dog prime grade kobe steak.

The rest of the family gets McDonalds, buckets of KFC, and Doritos.
Who exactly is the master and who is the pet in your setup ?

r2473
11-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Holy Mackerel!!!!