PDA

View Full Version : affordable electric machines? (linear pull)

Matt H.
04-28-2004, 09:50 PM
am i asking for too much here? lol

Ok, my good friend is the stringer for the school's team at FSU, and he used to string my racquet for 5 bucks. Unfortunately, he's graduating this weekend and i have 1 more year left. It's gonna cost me over 20 bucks a racquet and the place i will have to go to is a good 6-7 miles away.......

so, he taught me how to string, and i think i'm going to just take the plunge and buy a machine. Figured it would pay itself off, as well as allowing me to string a few on the side for money.

He uses and taught me on a Prince NEOS 2000. I really like the linear (straight-pull) style. Do any companies make an affordable electric straight-pull machine? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

Cruzer
04-29-2004, 07:44 AM
A linear pull electric stringer that is affordable for a college student? The answer is no unless you find a used one somewhere. There were/are a couple of Babolat stringers on ****, a Star II and a Star III. The Star II was around $500 last I saw. The guy selling the Star III wanted at least $1800 which seemed rather steep considering the condition of the machine as he described it.

Gaines Hillix
04-30-2004, 04:43 AM
IMO, the best deal is to find a good used crank machine and put a Wise 2086 electronic tension head on it. The tension head is around $495.

Rick Streeter
04-30-2004, 06:57 AM
I agree with Gaines. The Wise Tension Head on a lock out machine would be the way to go on a college students budget.

Rick Streeter
04-30-2004, 07:01 AM
oops, hit the wrong button.

Rick Streeter
04-30-2004, 07:02 AM
I agree with Gaines. The Wise Tension Head on a lock out machine would be the way to go on a college students budget. If you found a good lockout machine, possibly used, you could get a really good electronic machine for under $1000, BUT do not fall into the temptation to buy from Eagnas to save some money because it will cost you in the long run.

Rick

Matt H.
05-05-2004, 09:24 PM
wow, forgot to check this thread...

i looked up that Wise tensioner head, and that thing looks sweet.

I think that's the best idea to date. It also allows me to just get the stringing machine now, and then when money permits, to upgrade and get the wise head.