PDA

View Full Version : Dive Volley

Boy Wonder
07-14-2005, 06:01 AM
Which pro owns this shot? Boris Becker has to own the best dive volley ever. I think in present times there are many who have tried the dive volley and succeeded to make people give them a round of applause. Puerta had a noteworthy dive volley in the RG final. Roddick made one during Wimbledon this year. I remember seeing Mark P. attempt a couple of these when he had that run to the Wimbledon finals. Can you think of any other successors to Boris Becker in this shot?

pound cat
07-14-2005, 06:09 AM
Safin was the dive volley king for a while, & not even stabbing himself with his racket and bleeding all over the court would stop him. (Final Bercy v. Philippousis..Safin won ) . Then a misguided dive volley wrecked his wrist and he was out of tennis for almost a year. (03) He doesn't do dive volleys anymore.

x Southpaw x
07-14-2005, 07:17 AM
Safin was the dive volley king for a while, & not even stabbing himself with his racket and bleeding all over the court would stop him. (Final Bercy v. Philippousis..Safin won ) . Then a misguided dive volley wrecked his wrist and he was out of tennis for almost a year. (03) He doesn't do dive volleys anymore.
Safin is still cool though and IMHO the most charismatic tennis player by personality currently.

urban
07-14-2005, 07:42 AM
The first player, i saw doing the dive-volley regularly, was the Italian Adriano Panatta. I think he saved a match point at Roland Garros in the 1 st round with it, when he won the title in 1976. On pictures i saw the Austrian Freddy Huber, the 'Danny Kaye of tennis', doing it at Wimbledon in the 50s.

Shyyre
07-14-2005, 07:47 AM
Becker, all the way. it didn't matter what surface or the situation. i remember a wimbledon match (maybe the final, i can't remember), where he was playing edberg, and they both did it. damn, i wish i could remember which match that was...

Shyyre
07-14-2005, 07:48 AM
oops, sorry, didn't read first post all the way through... as to most recent player... roddick, i suppose at wimbledon... its easier to do on grass.

DoubleFaults
07-14-2005, 07:50 AM
Nadal had a nice one against Fed in Miami.

Ben42
07-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Justin Gimelstob had around 10 of them in his match against Hewitt this year at Wimbledon. He even looked good on a couple of them.

Shyyre
07-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Justin Gimelstob had around 10 of them in his match against Hewitt this year at Wimbledon. He even looked good on a couple of them.

yeah, but like johnny mac said... he may have broken the dive record, but he only should have done it a few times... the rest were just silly because the ball was clearly passed him for winners. i thought he looked like a bit of a ponce to be honest (which is sad, because he's actually a pretty good player and fun to watch)... sometimes you have to just admit that you got passed...

Boy Wonder
07-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Nadal had a nice one against Fed in Miami.

How can I forget? Definitely shades of Becker when he did that shot, and then again Nadal is always willing to risk anything to win a point. That whole event was also significant, because IMO it marked Nadal's official debut into the spotlight with Hewitt, Safin, Roddick, and Federer. Can anyone think of any other dive volleys that showed glimpses of Becker?

Young Pete
07-16-2005, 02:31 AM
I remember a dive volley from sampras during one the wimbledon finals, it was superb!

tennisgeek505
07-16-2005, 04:06 AM
justin giblestob