PDA

View Full Version : I Won't Miss The NBA

ollinger
11-17-2011, 07:48 AM
No, not because of the selfish hot-dog play with guys missing slam dunks when they could have just dropped it in the hole, but because basketball seems to me to make the least sense of any major team sport. I subscribe to that axiom that there's no point in watching until the last five minutes (if then, even). Here's the study I'd like one of you obsessives out there to do: gather data on football games in which a team led by 14 after a quarter, soccer games in which a team led by 3 goals at the half, baseball games in which a team led by 3 after the fifth inning, hockey games in which a team led by 2 goals after a period, and basketball games in which a team led by 15 after a quarter. (The numbers here are illustrative and subject to change.) I would wager that early leads are the least meaningful in basketball, as the game for the most part is a metronome of trading buckets and trading point spurts. Maybe if they shorten the games to 5 minutes..........

LuckyR
11-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Basketball is notable for a couple of things: few players for a team sport, the ability of a single player to dominate, very, very physical yet has a place for skill and touch.

The other thing about it is that it has an extremely robust college season and postseason, some would argue one of the best events in all of sports.

So in evaluating whether to watch pros or college, it is: should I watch a bunch of emotional kids playing in front of their collegemates for little to nothing, or watch a bunch of dim adults playing for a team they signed with yesterday for multimillions just treading water until the lengthy postseason starts?

Hhmmm...

r2473
11-17-2011, 08:52 AM
The NBA is to basketball what the WWF (or is it WWE) is to wrestling. I haven't seen anything I'd call basketball played by the NBA for many a year.

Maybe a better analogy with the NBA is bad Italian Opera. They are both just vehicles for virtuosity held together by really bad plots and storylines.

vsbabolat
11-17-2011, 09:03 AM
I wont miss it either. However I feel very sorry for the employees of the stadiums and the business that relied on the NBA for a income. I don't feel sorry for the selfish greedy players and owners.

thug the bunny
11-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Good call r.

Some of the things I won't miss about the NBA:

1. No defense
2. Refs deciding the outcome of games (I believe that ex-ref who said referees make or don't make calls preferentially)
3. Propogation of gangsta values and ethics
4. Deflecting kids away from academics in the false hope of becoming a pro

gavna
11-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Heap I agree....both sides have totally lost me, thank god we have NFL until Feb and I also watch my beloved Canadiens and NHL until almost summer.

jamesblakefan#1
11-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Good call r.

Some of the things I won't miss about the NBA:

1. No defense
2. Refs deciding the outcome of games (I believe that ex-ref who said referees make or don't make calls preferentially)
3. Propogation of gangsta values and ethics
4. Deflecting kids away from academics in the false hope of becoming a pro

This is just bull... plain and simple. What the f does that even mean? Stern's gone out of his way to make it an international sport, and cleaned it up by instituting the dress code and such. There's probably just as many football players getting in trouble as basketball, yet we don't hear about the 'gangsta' values from there.

Last year's finals were great - and yes, they played defense. Though the refs almost ruined a few games...ultimately the better team won.

The NBA is to basketball what the WWF (or is it WWE) is to wrestling. I haven't seen anything I'd call basketball played by the NBA for many a year.

Maybe a better analogy with the NBA is bad Italian Opera. They are both just vehicles for virtuosity held together by really bad plots and storylines.

Let me guess...you miss the days of Bird and McHale? I wonder why...

chollyred
11-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Would suit me if NBA = No Basketball Anymore!

A friend calls it "Thugball".

chollyred
11-17-2011, 09:38 AM
This is just bull... plain and simple. What the f does that even mean? Stern's gone out of his way to make it an international sport, and cleaned it up by instituting the dress code and such. There's probably just as many football players getting in trouble as basketball, yet we don't hear about the 'gangsta' values from there.

Last year's finals were great - and yes, they played defense. Though the refs almost ruined a few games...ultimately the better team won.

Yeah, let's ask the same question about Michael Vick, Terrell Owens, and others...

thug the bunny
11-17-2011, 09:38 AM
So, what exactly needed 'cleaning up'?

Just my perception, that's all.

And yes, I agree that the NFL is becoming thugged out as well.

r2473
11-17-2011, 09:55 AM

I've never watched the NBA. I've just never liked the product.

The NFL is a quarterback league. Now more than ever. I don't like to see the ball just hucked down the field 50-60 times a game and have the game decided by a pass interference or "touching" the QB call. But the game is clearly the most popular sport in America so they know their fan base well. I'm just not part of that fan base. I like what I grew up on. Old fashioned Big-10 grind it out style football. That ain't coming back. Neither am I.

MLB turned into a "dinger" league. I'm glad it has moved away from that. I like the MLB again. I couldn't watch that trash since their strike in the mid-90's and what the game became after that.

The NBA is like the other major sports. They need to fashion a product that appeals to the widest fan base. The NBA has never been more popular (I think). They certainly generate huge revenue and I see lots of kids (and grown men) wearing their hero's jersey. So the NBA has been doing something right. They know their fan base. You clearly like the product, while I don't. No big deal here. You'll watch and I won't. They can't appeal to everyone. They can only try to appeal to the greatest number so as to generate the highest revenue / profit, which I believe they do.

Professional sports obviously have nothing to do with the sport. Its just a business like anything else. Nothing shocking here.

jamesblakefan#1
11-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Yeah, let's ask the same question about Michael Vick, Terrell Owens, and others...

Or Roethlisberger, who you conspicuously left out....:roll:

So, what exactly needed 'cleaning up'?

Just my perception, that's all.

And yes, I agree that the NFL is becoming thugged out as well.

After the Palace Brawl in 03 the league was at a low point from a PR standpoint. But things have gotten better and most of the stars now don't fit that 'thug' image at all. LeBron, Durant, Dirk, Wade, Howard, Duncan, Nash, etc.

Of course there's still some arrests and such but the league shouldn't be judged as a whole by the lowest common denominator - the NFL isn't, by and large, so why is the NBA? It's a complex and fairly obvious answer, but one I really don't want to go into...

EndLy
11-17-2011, 11:39 AM
I will.. basketball is far and beyond my favorite sport and the regular season matters more then the tennis season where all that matters now are the slams. I do agree that what's happening is just flat out sad and will most likely hurt the league in years to come, just like in 94 for baseball.
some people rather watch college hoops but I was never a fan. never will be.

dParis
11-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Are you impying there is a reason the Bird and McHale era of basketball wasn't entertaining?
Or Roethlisberger, who you conspicuously left out....:roll:
Who you conspicuously included. :roll::roll:

Someone woke up on the wrong color - I mean wrong side of the bed this morning.

jamesblakefan#1
11-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Are you impying there is a reason the Bird and McHale era of basketball wasn't entertaining?

Who you conspicuously included. :roll::roll:

Someone woke up on the wrong color - I mean wrong side of the bed this morning.

I guess people throwing around words like 'thugball' to describe the NBA is supposed to be perfectly OK then...and saying a sport/league propagates 'gangsta' values...

CDestroyer
11-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Would suit me if NBA = No Basketball Anymore!

A friend calls it "Thugball".

Funny thing I heard that old knuckle head Charles Barkley commentating on Ron Artest, "There goes Artest playing that bully ball".

I miss it.

Baseballs a snoozefest.

F Hockey.

F Football.

F Soccer.

r2473
11-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Of course there's still some arrests and such but the league shouldn't be judged as a whole by the lowest common denominator - the NFL isn't, by and large, so why is the NBA? It's a complex and fairly obvious answer, but one I really don't want to go into...

What is the answer?

They both seem like thug leagues to me

LeeD
11-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Prima donnas within the sport can destroy any sport.
Same with the internet, I guess...thank you.

jamesblakefan#1
11-17-2011, 04:02 PM
What is the answer?

They both seem like thug leagues to me

Do I really need to spell it out? The faces of the NFL are Manning, Brees, Brady, Favre (even though he's retired now). The faces of the NBA are LeBron, Kobe, Durant, Wade, Howard...you see the (non) similarity? That's why one's looked at as America's new pasttime and the other's looked at as it was so eloquently put in this thread, as 'thugball'. It's not rocket science. Still doesn't excuse the double standard of the perceptions between the two leagues.

spacediver
11-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Color me confused, but is something happening to the NBA that entails you missing it? Is it being decommissioned? Or is it just the end of a season or something?

I know next to nothing about bball

ollinger
11-17-2011, 05:01 PM
^^ yes, #1, you need to spell it out. The most prominent faces in American track and field in recent decades, be it Edwin Moses, Carl Lewis, Florence Griffith-Joyner and many others, have been black but far from having a gangsta image, they've enjoyed mass popularity and generally a great deal of respect for the dedication to their event. So the notion that negative attitudes toward the NBA are primarily racial doesn't stand scrutiny. And many of the best known faces in the NFL during its rise were the great running backs like Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Leroy Kelly, Walter Payton, OJ Simpson -- all revered and respected (well, OJ's a problem here, but he was the squeaky clean image of the NFL when he was doing Hertz commercials).

r2473
11-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Do I really need to spell it out? The faces of the NFL are Manning, Brees, Brady, Favre (even though he's retired now). The faces of the NBA are LeBron, Kobe, Durant, Wade, Howard.

Who on earth thinks of any of those NBA players as thugs?

Well like I said, I don't pay attention to the NBA much, but I in my limited exposure, I don't get that "thug" feeling from those guys.

But, I still think both the NFL and NBA are "thug leagues" none the less. Probably because I mainly watch tennis, so by comparison, FIFA is probably a thug league.

jamesblakefan#1
11-17-2011, 05:18 PM
^^ yes, #1, you need to spell it out. The most prominent faces in American track and field in recent decades, be it Edwin Moses, Carl Lewis, Florence Griffith-Joyner and many others, have been black but far from having a gangsta image, they've enjoyed mass popularity and generally a great deal of respect for the dedication to their event. So the notion that negative attitudes toward the NBA are primarily racial doesn't stand scrutiny. And many of the best known faces in the NFL during its rise were the great running backs like Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Leroy Kelly, Walter Payton, OJ Simpson -- all revered and respected (well, OJ's a problem here, but he was the squeaky clean image of the NFL when he was doing Hertz commercials).

OK well I'll give you that the NBA's reputation precedes itself to an extent - the gangsta image was harbored during the early 00s when Allen Iverson was one of the faces of the league. And the Brawl in the Palace in 03 was probably the low point of that.

But like I said, Stern and the NBA have worked to change that image, stuff like the dress code was a small step to change that. And now many of the stars aren't 'thugs'. So that's why I take offense with those that still paint it in that manner. But I guess I understand why they would feel that way, but not recognize the work the league has done to clean itself up over the past decade. But, getting back on topic, the lockout will likely kill that work and put the players and owners both in a bad light, players moreso than the owners.

I still think the NFL gets a comparatively better PR image, just look at how readily accepting people were after it's players/owners came to their senses this summer, it was almost as if ppl were willing to bend over and thank their football overlords for not witholding the NFL, lol.

j00dypoo
11-17-2011, 05:28 PM
The NFL is a quarterback league. Now more than ever. I don't like to see the ball just hucked down the field 50-60 times a game and have the game decided by a pass interference or "touching" the QB call. But the game is clearly the most popular sport in America so they know their fan base well. I'm just not part of that fan base. I like what I grew up on. Old fashioned Big-10 grind it out style football. That ain't coming back. Neither am I.

MLB turned into a "dinger" league. I'm glad it has moved away from that. I like the MLB again. I couldn't watch that trash since their strike in the mid-90's and what the game became after that.

The NBA is like the other major sports. They need to fashion a product that appeals to the widest fan base. The NBA has never been more popular (I think). They certainly generate huge revenue and I see lots of kids (and grown men) wearing their hero's jersey. So the NBA has been doing something right. They know their fan base. You clearly like the product, while I don't. No big deal here. You'll watch and I won't. They can't appeal to everyone. They can only try to appeal to the greatest number so as to generate the highest revenue / profit, which I believe they do.

agreed agreed agreed. Well said. I miss the old school, hard-nosed grinding football. This is why I enjoy my local team, the Falcons. They establish that balanced attack and aren't afraid to throw 3 different backs up the middle.

And yeah, the NBA certainly is at a height of popularity right now. I think my generation (i'm 26) has really taken to the current flashy style of play. I'm not surprised - the social media generations are all about narcissism and showing off.

jamesblakefan#1
11-17-2011, 07:38 PM

Well like I said, I don't pay attention to the NBA much, but I in my limited exposure, I don't get that "thug" feeling from those guys.

But, I still think both the NFL and NBA are "thug leagues" none the less. Probably because I mainly watch tennis, so by comparison, FIFA is probably a thug league.

I apologize, I unfairly painted you in a bad way. I was more directing at the comments in this thread about it being 'thugball' and saying the league somehow propogates gangsta values and ethics.

CDestroyer
11-17-2011, 07:42 PM

Seriously? Maybe its because almost all of the players have jailhouse tats covering their exposed skin.

Lets dont all be naive here.

r2473
11-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Seriously? Maybe its because almost all of the players have jailhouse tats covering their exposed skin.

Lets dont all be naive here.

I meant the ones JB#1 specifically mentioned. Kobe? Wade? Lebron? You think those guys act like thugs? A bunch of pretty boys. It would be like saying Magic or Jordan were thugs.

Like I said, I think there are plenty of thugs in both leagues. Which isn't all bad by the way. It sort of goes with the type of sport being played.

Boxers have never minded being called thugs (well, probably because many of them truely were).

Gizo
11-18-2011, 12:20 AM
One of the problems with the NBA is that compared to the other major North American sports leagues, it has considerably less parity. Of course it is not totally predictable and does has its upsets, but it is much more difficult for a small market NBA team to be successful than a small market NFL, MLB or NHL team. It is much easier to predict which NBA teams will make the playoffs, miss out altogether or be in title contention.

NBA attendances/tv ratings seem to be heavily related to the playoff presence and success of the bigger market teams.

Also like the NHL it expanded too fast and has about 6 teams too many, diluting the talent pool. 24 teams would have been the perfect number, and places like New Orleans, Memphis, Minnesota etc really shouldn't have NBA teams.

The NFL does have an inherent advantage over the other sports leagues in that it has so short a season in comparison. Absense makes the heart grow fonder, and people have more time to miss the NFL and to crave for the new season to start. With each team only playing 16 regular season games, every game in the NFL counts and is important. With 82 games in the NBA/NHL regular seasons, many games are meaningless and boring. Plus the NFL playoffs are single elimination do-or die, while the NBA playoffs seem to drag on forever.

I like the NBA and hope that the lockout ends in the not too distant future, but despite it clearly being the highest quality basketball tournament by far, I've always enjoyed the NCAA and Euroleague tournaments more.

hollywood9826
11-18-2011, 04:49 AM
Small market NBA teams have proven they can make it just fine. Look at the San Antonio Spurs, they have a been a very succesfull franchise and have won titles. The Pacers in the late 90's up to the brawl were very good also.

The NBA is a star driven league way more than the other leagues. The role players are not as important. You probably have 40 guys in the NBA that matter. People that sell jerseys/tickets/ads.

Blade0324
11-18-2011, 07:04 AM

I definately see them all as thugs. The NBA is just crap and I for one would not miss it if it never came back.

Cindysphinx
11-18-2011, 08:13 AM
I used to love the major pro sports. (Well, not so much baseball. Blech.).

But now, I have no use for any of them.

The structure of a basketball game is, as OP says, kind of numbing. The last five minutes are exciting if the score is close, but that's it. I don't find the players even slightly interesting.

Football is downright appalling. The players are tearing up their bodies and wrecking their brains, and then the league turns its back on them? Thanks, but no thanks.

College athletics is horribly exploitative. Anyone read last month's article in Atlantic magazine?

There's nothing worth watching but pro tennis, and I can't watch that anymore because of stupid Verizon and Tennis Channel.

I guess I should just go read a book . . . .

r2473
11-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Let's not do anything that crazy.

Kevin T
11-18-2011, 09:55 AM
It doesn't help when prominent talking heads/writers like Jason Whitlock, Bryant Gumbel and the players association bosses compare Stern and the owners to plantation masters. I was glad to see Magic and other vets defending Stern for all he did to bring the league back from the verge of bankruptcy in the '80's.

I agree with others RE the currently playing style of the NBA. It's nowhere near as entertaining as the 80's and it's not a McHale/Bird/white/racial thing. It's a matter of playing style. The Lakers had that uptempo style with Magic, Big Game James, etc. The Celtics played a very skilled/fundamental (if not overly athletic) style. Portland played a nice uptempo style in the late 80's/early 90's. Today's isolation/one on one game is a snooze fest.

goober
11-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I used to love the major pro sports. (Well, not so much baseball. Blech.).

But now, I have no use for any of them.

The structure of a basketball game is, as OP says, kind of numbing. The last five minutes are exciting if the score is close, but that's it. I don't find the players even slightly interesting.

Football is downright appalling. The players are tearing up their bodies and wrecking their brains, and then the league turns its back on them? Thanks, but no thanks.

College athletics is horribly exploitative. Anyone read last month's article in Atlantic magazine?

There's nothing worth watching but pro tennis, and I can't watch that anymore because of stupid Verizon and Tennis Channel.

I am with you. As I get older I am watching less and less pro sports or sports in general. It is almost impossible for me to sit through an entire 3-4 hours of a sporting event that is on TV. I would rather do something else. Spectator sports is basically entertainment and I find other things more entertaining these days.

thug the bunny
11-18-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm kinda getting there too. I looked for tickets to Gmen at Philly recently and the cheapest I could find was $350 for a pair of SRO! Ridiculous ticket prices, ridiculous salaries, ridiculous profits. No only one not in on the $fest is the fan.

But I find it hard to stay away from football especially when Big Blue is in the hunt. 'Hi, my name is thug and I have a problem...'

r2473
11-18-2011, 10:32 AM
cheapest I could find was $350 for a pair of SRO! Ridiculous ticket prices, ridiculous salaries, ridiculous profits.

I'm amazed that people are willing to pay these kind of prices. But look at the stands. They are always full. That tells me they could charge even more if they wanted too.

I watched The Jazz "playoff run" a few years ago when they beat Houston in the first round and then got to play Golden State (the #8 seed) because they knocked off Dallas (the #1 seed). I managed to get "super nose bleed" tickets for something like $5 a ticket for the Houston series and I actually bought the second round tickets from a season ticket holder before the Jazz advanced for about the same money. There was no love for The Jazz that year so you couldn't give the damn things away.

That was actually fun because as we kept winning, Jazz fever was sweeping the city, so it was "the place to be".

r2473
11-18-2011, 10:38 AM
One of the problems with the NBA is that compared to the other major North American sports leagues, it has considerably less parity. Of course it is not totally predictable and does has its upsets, but it is much more difficult for a small market NBA team to be successful than a small market NFL, MLB or NHL team.

MLB has the least parity of the major US sports. A-rod makes more than the entire Pittsburgh Pirates roster put together (or pretty close).

Sure, any team can win any given game, but the ones making the playoffs are "the usual suspects", often with 1 or 2 surprises (Brewers, Rays, Twins).

jamesblakefan#1
11-18-2011, 10:49 AM
MLB has the least parity of the major US sports. A-rod makes more than the entire Pittsburgh Pirates roster put together (or pretty close).

Sure, any team can win any given game, but the ones making the playoffs are "the usual suspects", often with 1 or 2 surprises (Brewers, Rays, Twins).

Agreed, you can pretty much buy a championship in the MLB, even when teams develop talent like the Marlins and Rays have done in the past, they eventually get bought up by the high-spending teams thanks to the lack of a salary cap. That's part of why the NBA is in the situation it is now, small market teams losing money and feeling as if situations like the one last summer w/ Miami (stars all playing in the big cities) should be prevented. Owners wanted a hard salary cap during the CBA negotiations, and the players didn't.

At least in the NBA you can have a guy like Durant playing in Seattle/OKC, Duncan/Parker/Ginobili, if you want to go back to the 90s w/ Reggie Miller spending his entire career in a place like Indiana...Both sports have their share of competitive disadvantage, but I'd argue it's easier in the NBA to make that up if you draft well.

spacediver
11-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Color me confused, but is something happening to the NBA that entails you missing it? Is it being decommissioned? Or is it just the end of a season or something?

I know next to nothing about bball

Can someone answer this please? :)

r2473
11-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Can someone answer this please? :)

Someone is going to post LMGTFY

spacediver
11-18-2011, 03:53 PM
i did and saw something about contract negotiations or some lockout or whatever - but i've no context to understand this - can someone just explain it in a couple sentences for this lazy piggy? :)

Cindysphinx
11-18-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm kinda getting there too. I looked for tickets to Gmen at Philly recently and the cheapest I could find was $350 for a pair of SRO! Ridiculous ticket prices, ridiculous salaries, ridiculous profits. No only one not in on the $fest is the fan.

But I find it hard to stay away from football especially when Big Blue is in the hunt. 'Hi, my name is thug and I have a problem...'

Oh, yeah. I forgot about the ridiculous prices.

It used to be that you could buy a decent ticket at a sane price. Now, corporations get all the good seats, or you have to go through a broker to get a ticket.

If I wanted to go see Redskins v. Cowboys, the cheapest ticket in the upper level is $92 on Stubhub (come on, you'd get a better view from the blimp). If I wanted something I would consider worth the bother, it is $158 for lower level pinched in the corner.

Then add in the cost to park and eat, and professional sports are crazy expensive.

All of that to sit in an uncomfortable chair for hours, usually next to a pile of someone's peanut husks and abandoned beer.

If that weren't bad enough, the owners are so greedy it is unbelievable. Here in Washington, the stadium was charging so much for parking that people were parking a huge distance away and walking to the stadium on the public sidewalks. The stadium literally closed the public sidewalk in an effort to force people to pay for parking. This was challenged in court, and of course the judge ruled that a private business cannot shut down a public sidewalk to extort parking fees.

Thanks, no. I'm good. I'll pass on professional sports, with the exception of tennis, which is still reasonable.

Fuji
11-18-2011, 04:58 PM
i did and saw something about contract negotiations or some lockout or whatever - but i've no context to understand this - can someone just explain it in a couple sentences for this lazy piggy? :)

I'm pretty lost as well!

So what actually happened? Is the NBA done for the rest of the year, or for good? I don't really follow basketball.... Thanks! :D

-Fuji

maleyoyo
11-18-2011, 05:00 PM

A bunch of millionaires and billionaires canít agree on how to share 4 billion dollars revenue annually to play a game and entertain people. The players feel deprived that they only earn 10 millions instead 11 a year; the owners want to make 550 millions a year, not 500. For that, they cancel the game ignoring their obligations to the game, the fans, the paying customers, and all the people whose jobs are depending on it.
They do that, even in this economy, because they can, knowing that their loyal fans will come crawling back begging to pay top dollars to watch a bunch of oversized grown-ups throwing a ball into a basket over and over again.
Not me, but Iím probably the only one.

jamesblakefan#1
11-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Basically the owners offered the players a 50-50 share of the revenues, and the players felt this was unfair since the previous agreement signed in '99 was 57-43 in favor of the players. Owners said that kind of split isn't sustainable for them to make profit since as I mentioned they feel they aren't making enough profit currently. The owners gave in on a lot of minor details and gave the players a 50-50 split ultimatum this week, and the players turned it down. Now the owners aren't willing to give anything more than 53-47 share in the owners' favor, and the players are suing the owners for not negotiating fairly.

The owners are losing money, this isn't the NFL where the owners were arguing over how much of the pie to share. Here the owners are just trying to get some of the pie, since the players took all of the leverage during the last lockout in 99. Part of it is stupid owners giving scrubs more money than they are worth, essentially the owners have to be saved from their own stupidity of overpaying players.

@maleyoyo - I think you're underestimating how much of a hit NBA could take from this. The NBA isn't the NFL. People don't live and die with the NBA and most people right now probably don't even miss it. So in that regard they are killing alot of the momentum they built after the drama of last season.

Charles Barkley and Reggie Miller explain it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_OqzmTCtIQ

gavna
11-18-2011, 08:06 PM
The issue is 22 of the teams are losing money.....unlike the NFL the NBA does not have revenue sharing so each team cuts local TV and radio deals. In the end you have a few revenue rich teams in Los Angeles (Lakers), Houston, Dallas, New York, Miami, Chicago and then teams like Sacramento and New Orleans bleeding cash.
As stated above it's the Owners fault for signing a crappy deal last time and continuing to pay ridiculous salaries, I current the MINIMUM salary in the NBA For a ROOKIE! is $473,000 and guys like Tracy McGrady get deals at 20 million+ and then can't play a full season. And these are freaking guaranteed.

spacediver
11-18-2011, 08:19 PM
thanks for the insights - sounds like there's a pathological amount of greed at play (although isn't all greed pathological).

ttbrowne
11-19-2011, 06:40 AM
I Won't Miss The NBA

What's happening with the NBA??

ollinger
11-19-2011, 02:38 PM
^^ closed for the Thanksgiving break.

Disgruntled Worker
11-19-2011, 03:16 PM
I think people who are more likely to miss the NBA are people that actually have played at a respectable level of competition. Hence, the sentiment of the original poster is not surprising. He can't play!

ollinger
11-19-2011, 03:23 PM
^^ have you seen me play basketball? Where was this?

TennisLovaLova
11-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Paul pierce is poison

Fifth Set
11-19-2011, 04:28 PM
thanks for the insights - sounds like there's a pathological amount of greed at play (although isn't all greed pathological).

Good sound bite, but it's mainly just capitalism at play. Sports entertainment generates huge amounts of money. That money needs to get split up somehow and different groups will naturally negotiate for a cut. Being bashful about it means someone else takes the money. No reason to get upset about what is spiritually not much different from two parties wheeling and dealing at the flea market.

If you want to be angry about how this works, blame the people who spend a tremendous amount of money on sports entertainment. But, think about this carefully too. Many companies use event tickets to entertain clients. Many taxpayers work in businesses directly or indirectly supported by sports entertainment.

spacediver
11-20-2011, 12:45 PM
nicely said

CCNM
11-20-2011, 02:49 PM
I think it's the tattoos and the "in your face" attitude of many players that gives people the impression of them being thugs. I'm sure the players in the '70's and '80's had an attitude but they never gave off the impression that they were "hot stuff." I usually don't watch until the playoffs so I'm not missing the NBA.

Polaris
11-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I don't miss the NBA at all. But then, I can't play basketball to save my life. :)

volleygirl
11-20-2011, 04:54 PM
I think it's the tattoos and the "in your face" attitude of many players that gives people the impression of them being thugs. I'm sure the players in the '70's and '80's had an attitude but they never gave off the impression that they were "hot stuff." I usually don't watch until the playoffs so I'm not missing the NBA.

Youre sure the players in the 70s and 80s had bad attitudes? The NBA channel is showing games from the 70s and 80s since there is a lockout and the difference in the players attitudes is unreal. Todays players celebrate almost every dam dunk like its something no one else on earth can do. Banging their chests and screaming at the tv camera, "look at me." The guys in the 70s and 80s played a more entertaining game and acted like they could do it time and time again instead of celebrating like they knew it was something they better celebrate now because I doubt I can ever do it again. Let the bums sit out forever if they cant make it on 10 mill a year.

thug the bunny
11-21-2011, 07:14 AM

Speaking of the NFL getting thugged out, did everyone see DeSean Jackson's tribal display last night? Do we want our children picking up values that spawn such displays?

ollinger
11-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Lots of radio ads in the NYC area lately for college teams looking to fill the void and satisfy your basketball urges. "Come on out and root for Hofstra!" Hofstra??!!

Power Player
11-21-2011, 08:19 AM
It kills us here that we have no NBA. The local economy gets a huge boost and we were supposed to get the All Star game, which is a massive boost.

Also is a shame we have to rely on these greedy clowns to help us out. Double edged sword. I love the NBA, but I am sick of the egos.

equinox
11-21-2011, 08:35 AM
If this lockout continues and the season is canceled.

Does anyone believe this will have the same result as baseball disaster?

That sport has never recovered.

r2473
11-21-2011, 08:38 AM
I think it's the tattoos and the "in your face" attitude of many players that gives people the impression of them being thugs. I'm sure the players in the '70's and '80's had an attitude but they never gave off the impression that they were "hot stuff."

^^ have you seen me play basketball?

Ollinger was the inspiration for this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n3p6KSVcN8&feature=related

"Oh sh*t! That's just too easy!"
"No no no, that sh*t is TOO easy!"
"It's TOO easy!"
"No no, that sh*t is.........Too easy!"
"F*ck it. I don't even wanna play anymore"

Power Player
11-21-2011, 08:40 AM
If this lockout continues and the season is canceled.

Does anyone believe this will have the same result as baseball disaster?

That sport has never recovered.

Baseball is just so unforgivably boring. It only does well in states where it gets so cold that there is nothing else to do except go to games.

I do think the NBA will take a hit. NHL did as well. NBA players are EXTREMELY arrogant. More than any other sport. They probably have no idea the repercussions, or care that much.

hollywood9826
11-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Baseball actually has recovered rather nicely. Thier revenues are the highest they have ever been.

NBA players have the hardest time hiding teir personalities. There are less of them on the court than any other sport, and they are always on camera during games. In baseball you could go three innings and a ball wont get hit at you and until its time to bat nobody is paying attention. NBA you are there at all times in front of everyone.

All sports have thier arrogant A-Holes. Its just easier to spot them in the NBA.

r2473
11-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Baseball is just so unforgivably boring. It only does well in states where it gets so cold that there is nothing else to do except go to games.

What the hell does that mean? I can see saying that about Big 10 football or something.

Everything is boring to people that aren't interested. Usually people that don't play the sport. Don't really understand the sport. Think about tennis or especially soccer.

US tastes have certainly changed and baseball, soccer, etc do not provide the "instant entertainment gratification" that football can.

Personally, I find football pretty damn boring. But then again, I never played.

hollywood9826
11-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Orlando was supposed to get the All Star game?

There are 6-5 and taller guys all through Orlando who are very dissapointed in that.

If you have never been to an NBA All-star weekend you are missing out on all the ovulating woman tryin to get impregnated by an NBA player to cash that child supoprt check. There are a contincey of poeple who act like they are on a team and these chics just open up thinking the dudes are bench players and will introduce them to the superstar guys. Conversatons go like this.

Ovulating Chic "Hey do you play in the NBA"

Tall guy who does not play in the NBA "Yea I play for the Toronto Raptors (Used to be Vancouver Grizzlies), I havent been playing long so I dont get that many minutes"

Chic "Do you know (Insert Superstar player)."

Dude "Yea, I actually hang with him all the time and play Madden"

Chic "Can you introduce me"

Dude "Yea I can introduce you, but he doesnt want to just meet every hot chic that walks around. My reputation is on the line I have to make sure he is going to like you"

Chic "I know he's gonna like me, do you see my booty in these pants?"

Dude "Yea, thats a phat @$$. Tell you what, lemme get a crack at that @$$. If you are good as say ill hook you guys up"

Chic "Bet, lets go to your room I aint got time to waste"

hollywood9826
11-21-2011, 09:44 AM
What the hell does that mean? I can see saying that about Big 10 football or something.

Everything is boring to people that aren't interested. Usually people that don't play the sport. Don't really understand the sport. Think about tennis or especially soccer.

US tastes have certainly changed and baseball, soccer, etc do not provide the "instant entertainment gratification" that football can.

Thats truth right there.

goober
11-21-2011, 11:25 AM

Well if there are plenty of football fans that have never played the sport on a team. In fact I would say the majority of football fans have not played competitive football. All my tennis team and buds talk about NFL, but none of them played even on a high school team.

Football is really not an instant gratification spectator sport IMO. There can be very low scoring games (i.e. the recent Alabama LSU game) and even average games have may be 1-2 scores per quarter. If you look at the number of runs scored in a typical baseball game it is not going to be very far off from the number of touchdowns in a typical NFL game. There is a ton of strategy going on - with formations, running different plays, counters, putting in certain players in certain situations which can't be appreciated by a casual observer- thus they usually find it boring.

Power Player
11-21-2011, 11:33 AM

Oh look at R2 getting serious.

What it means is that baseball sucks. No one from the south cares. They all watch football down here or go to the beach. Go to a Marlins game or a Rays game and let me know if you have trouble getting tickets. The Rays were in contention all year and no one showed up or cared. They were all waiting on the Bucs season to start. My friends out in Cali don't care about baseball. They say the same thing..rather be out surfing or doing something than going to a game.

So you don't like football. You are in the minority. It is the most popular sport in America and Baseball will never be.

For the record, I played baseball for 12 years. It's pretty fun to play, but watching it is miserable.

r2473
11-21-2011, 12:25 PM
I stand corrected.

Baseball sucks. Period. End of story.

Football is exciting because fans are carefully disecting the games, something the casual observer like me doesn't do, thus it is boring.

Power Player
11-21-2011, 01:06 PM
I stand corrected.

Baseball sucks. Period. End of story.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LgtnwsfsFew/SHPJ_bHFPVI/AAAAAAAAAbE/9pPhepRfwzU/s400/Mr-Burns-Excellent.jpg

Kevin T
11-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Oh look at R2 getting serious.

What it means is that baseball sucks. No one from the south cares. They all watch football down here or go to the beach. Go to a Marlins game or a Rays game and let me know if you have trouble getting tickets. The Rays were in contention all year and no one showed up or cared. They were all waiting on the Bucs season to start. My friends out in Cali don't care about baseball. They say the same thing..rather be out surfing or doing something than going to a game.

So you don't like football. You are in the minority. It is the most popular sport in America and Baseball will never be.

For the record, I played baseball for 12 years. It's pretty fun to play, but watching it is miserable.

First, don't include most of Florida with the South...I don't think anything south of Gainesville counts. No one cares about PRO baseball in the South (though virtually the entire South pulls for the ATL Braves). Southerners LOVE high school, college and minor league bball. The number of minor league teams in tiny southern towns is astounding...they didn't make a movie called 'Bull Fargo' did they? The Tampa and Miami markets are a strange mix of nearly deads and transplants...I'm shocked both got baseball, let alone hockey. Californians also love baseball, at any level. I've lived here for close to 7 years. It's huge at the high school and college level in San Diego and the Pads draw well even when they stink. The Dodgers are the Dodgers and you can't get a decent ticket at ATT Park. I can't even count how many great minor league prospects and college world series teams come out of the state of California. And LA has two pro baseball teams and...zero NFL teams.

Having said all that, I still like football more than baseball overall. But I still have the most fun at baseball games, be it minor or major league. Problem these days is you can't take your kid to a pro football game...the level of cursing/fighting and overall meathead behavior is off the charts.

Power Player
11-21-2011, 01:42 PM
LA will have another NFL team. Let's be real.

Kevin T
11-21-2011, 02:43 PM
LA will have another NFL team. Let's be real.

But how long have we been hearing that? It's only been 17 years.

CCNM
11-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Youre sure the players in the 70s and 80s had bad attitudes? The NBA channel is showing games from the 70s and 80s since there is a lockout and the difference in the players attitudes is unreal. Todays players celebrate almost every dam dunk like its something no one else on earth can do. Banging their chests and screaming at the tv camera, "look at me." The guys in the 70s and 80s played a more entertaining game and acted like they could do it time and time again instead of celebrating like they knew it was something they better celebrate now because I doubt I can ever do it again. Let the bums sit out forever if they cant make it on 10 mill a year.
The games/clips I've been watching on Youtube would show that you are correct. I thought maybe there was somebody somewhere in the league who might act like a big shot. 1970's and 1980's NBA > 1990's-present NBA.

Power Player
11-21-2011, 03:46 PM
But how long have we been hearing that? It's only been 17 years.

It has nothing to do with LA not liking football which is what you were implying. Regardless, the biggest sports towns are the regions where it snows, and I am not sure how anyone can argue that.

r2473
11-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Regardless, the biggest sports towns are the regions where it snows, and I am not sure how anyone can argue that.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/snowiest.php

Average annual snowfall for places averaging at least 100 inches of snowfall a year: Location Inches

Rainer Paradise Ranger Station, Washington 676
Mt Baker Ski Area, Washington 647
Valdez, Alaska 326
Mt Washington, New Hampshire 261
Blue Canyon, California 240
Yakutat, Alaska 191
Marquette, Michigan 144
Syracuse, New York 118
Sault Ste Marie, Michigan 117
Talkeetna, Alaska 115
Caribou, Maine 112
Mount Shasta, California 105
Flagstaff, Arizona 101
Lander, Wyoming 100

LeeD
11-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Tahoe got close to 600 last winter, but it's not rated.

jamesblakefan#1
11-21-2011, 03:53 PM
The games/clips I've been watching on Youtube would show that you are correct. I thought maybe there was somebody somewhere in the league who might act like a big shot. 1970's and 1980's NBA > 1990's-present NBA.

You can say the same for all of the major sports to be fair. MLB you have guys grandstanding after HRs and pitchers showboating after strikeouts. In the NFL it got so bad that penalties had to be put in place to stop the excessive celebration after TDs. It's a me-first era, me-first generation.

These guys know that if they put themselves out there and make a name for themselves, they can make money off of it through endorsements and such. Rodman wasn't the first one to do it, but he really took it to a new level with his tats and hair coloring in addition to his off the court exploits. But the fact that he was a damn good player let him get away with a lot of his antics.

And FWIW the guys in the 70s and 80s were partying off the court too, just there wasn't TMZ around to cover their every move.

Power Player
11-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't even know why I acknowledge r2s posts sometimes. You know I am talking Chicago, NYC, Boston, cleveland, detroit.you know the towns with professional teams?

Guess I hit a nerve with the TT amateur comedian.

r2473
11-21-2011, 03:57 PM
And FWIW the guys in the 70s and 80s were partying off the court too, just there wasn't TMZ around to cover their every move.

Image is everything:

http://community.dreamcricket.com/community/blogs/not_cricket/agassi.jpg

r2473
11-21-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't even know why I acknowledge r2s posts sometimes. You know I am talking Chicago, NYC, Boston, cleveland, detroit.you know the towns with professional teams?

Guess I hit a nerve with the TT amateur comedian.

You're right. I was just messing around for no good reason.

Ronaldo
11-21-2011, 04:01 PM

Amazing Magic Johnson signed a $25,000,000/25 yr contract 30 yrs ago. Wonder if he used his name as a killer opening line?

Kevin T
11-21-2011, 04:10 PM
It has nothing to do with LA not liking football which is what you were implying. Regardless, the biggest sports towns are the regions where it snows, and I am not sure how anyone can argue that.

If we're talking just pro sports, Sporting News is arguing it:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/feed/2010-10/best-sports-city/story/sweet-home-chicago-best-sports-city-2010

4 of the top 10 are warm weather areas: LA/Dallas/PHX/ATL

This includes # teams in a city and attendance, along with team performance.

I'm not implying LA doesn't like football, just saying no one is hurrying to get a team there. I'm not surprised the younger generation doesn't like baseball (not saying you). They can't go 30 seconds or God forbid, sit through dinner without checking their cell.

Moose Malloy
11-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Youre sure the players in the 70s and 80s had bad attitudes? The NBA channel is showing games from the 70s and 80s since there is a lockout and the difference in the players attitudes is unreal. Todays players celebrate almost every dam dunk like its something no one else on earth can do. Banging their chests and screaming at the tv camera, "look at me."

that sounds eerily like the difference between pro tennis today & the 70s/80s. Murray & Djokovic pump their fist more times in one match than Connors did in a year(& Connors never did it when his opponent made an easy error, only when he won a great point, or a big point. while I see Murray do it at like 2-2 in the 1st in meaningless events in Asia when his opponent df's)

and I don't recall ANYONE ever saying 'cmon!' back then. Now it seems like the favorite word of all the players. I wonder how many times players on average say that throughout a match/tournament/year.

And when you compare Djokovic's celebrations to the demeanors of Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Borg, Laver, & pretty much all top 10 players in the 70s/80s, he looks like a world class fool. Honestly, I've never seen anything like it in the 25 years I've been following tennis, its so over the top. and don't get me started on Monfils. talk about the 'look at me!' generation. plenty of chest banging in tennis.
But I watch tennis for the tennis, so ultimately I don't care about that stuff. I would think the same would go for a real basketball fan.

r2473
11-21-2011, 05:33 PM
^^ And yet today's players have no personality and we long for the colorful characters from the 70's and 80's.

.......who were too "rough" and "rude" and the fans in that generation longed for "gentlemen" like Laver.

.........and Laver was crass enough to play pro tennis, unlike the amateurs of the previous generation.

.....and

Power Player
11-21-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't care about the players demeanours on court. It's more about how they act behind the scenes. Lebron James is the biggest prima Donna in sports. A massive egomaniac. There is no one in tennis like that guy. Plus hoops is a team game, and one jerk can destroy a locker room.

Add a first class loser like David stern, and you end up with the worst negotiated lockout possibly ever.

I love watching hoops, but so many of these players don't care about the fans or what they do to a fan base when they leave or stop playing because they don't like the coach or are not getting enough touches. They don't care because they will just go play in Europe and the people who work for the teams, and the local economies who depend on them are a casualty.

volleygirl
11-21-2011, 07:51 PM
that sounds eerily like the difference between pro tennis today & the 70s/80s. Murray & Djokovic pump their fist more times in one match than Connors did in a year(& Connors never did it when his opponent made an easy error, only when he won a great point, or a big point. while I see Murray do it at like 2-2 in the 1st in meaningless events in Asia when his opponent df's)

and I don't recall ANYONE ever saying 'cmon!' back then. Now it seems like the favorite word of all the players. I wonder how many times players on average say that throughout a match/tournament/year.

And when you compare Djokovic's celebrations to the demeanors of Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Borg, Laver, & pretty much all top 10 players in the 70s/80s, he looks like a world class fool. Honestly, I've never seen anything like it in the 25 years I've been following tennis, its so over the top. and don't get me started on Monfils. talk about the 'look at me!' generation. plenty of chest banging in tennis.
But I watch tennis for the tennis, so ultimately I don't care about that stuff. I would think the same would go for a real basketball fan.

I agree, I think its ridiculous the way Djokovic pumps his fists and others act like they do but at least they usually do it when they are winning in tennis. In basketball, a guy 6'8 will get a breakaway dunk that he should never miss and he acts like he just won the lottery even if his team is down by 40 points. Its like they dont even know someones keeping score and that easy dunk only cut the deficit down to 38 points.

hollywood9826
11-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Dont even start on the Women and the fist pumping. I mean Ivanovic's Logo on her website is her fist pumping for crying out loud.

Like I said All Sports have thier A-Hole's its just easier to spot those guys in the NBA.

If Brett favre was black and in the NBA he would have endorsements and be liked as much as he is. And the whole cell phone picture thing would have been reported way more than it was.

Not to mention A-Rod being a A-Hole, Jeter running around for the better part of ten years trying to break to Wilt records for crushin tang. Ripken and his extreme selfisness and greed.

They are in every sport.

Ronaldo
11-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Dont even start on the Women and the fist pumping. I mean Ivanovic's Logo on her website is her fist pumping for crying out loud.

Like I said All Sports have thier A-Hole's its just easier to spot those guys in the NBA.

If Brett favre was black and in the NBA he would have endorsements and be liked as much as he is. And the whole cell phone picture thing would have been reported way more than it was.

Not to mention A-Rod being a A-Hole, Jeter running around for the better part of ten years trying to break to Wilt records for crushin tang. Ripken and his extreme selfisness and greed.

They are in every sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lne_9zooTE

thug the bunny
11-22-2011, 07:31 AM
It's a sign of the times that the 'I am awesome' fist-pumping you-can't-touch-this attitude has even infiltrated golf, the last bastion of etiquette in sports. Wait, I guess there is still curling...

Dedans Penthouse
11-23-2011, 12:59 PM
.......Jeter running around for the better part of ten years trying to break to Wilt records for crushin tang.....
Say what?!!!

Say what you want (I'll assume you live outside NY and are not a Yankee fan-no big deal), but to flippantly suggest that Jeter is this club-hopping late-night party hound latching 'conquest' notches on his belt is pure, unadulterated nonsense that his (and Yankee) detractors have been trying to claim for years....and without any luck. And further, even most of the Yankee/Jeter-bashers admit that "there's nothing there."

This now 37 year-old guy has always played day in and day out, at shortstop no less. He's kept in shape to the point that he's logged enough playing time to amass 3,000 hits. He never 'asked for the day off' against a tough righty pitcher. But more to the point: you NEVER saw Derek Jeter's name in some "Page Six" tabloid gossip page outside some gossip-monger's unsubstantiated "he's rumored to be dating so and so" b.s. which is their stock in trade to begin with. Further, don't you think that a hi-profile handsome star playing in the media capital of the world wouldn't have cameras catching his every indescretion? Why don't you ever hear about someone stating some claim against him, e.g. that he was doing "this-and-that" at a party at "X's" mansion?

The truth is, while Red Sox fans and others would be giddy seeing Jeter's name splashed across the media--having been involved in some sleezebag incident--the fact remains: he's simply a solid, grounded (albeit superstar) dude. Pardon the baseball vernacular but you're way off-base here.

They're not all "me!...me!" ******bags.

There are the Drew Brees' (NFL-Saints), the Tim Duncans' (NBA-Spurs), the Tim Thomas' (NHL-Bruins).

ollinger
11-23-2011, 01:06 PM
The best complinment you can pay any man is that his ex-girlfriends speak well of him, and Jeter's generally do. Whatever he does off the field, it's not at the expense of dedication to his craft. Slow start this year, yet still came within a tick of hitting .300 at age 37.

hollywood9826
11-23-2011, 01:13 PM
To my knowledge Wilt was never involved in an incident he just crushed tang and lots of it.

Maybe Jeets isnt quite trying to break Wilts record. But he has to be attempting to break the record of celebrity tang crushing.

I actually just wanted to say crushin tang (its gettin kinda old saying that now).

But

Adriana Lima
Minka Kelly
Jessica Alba
Mariah Carey
Joy Rodriquez (one of Carey's back up singers)
Vida Guerra
Jordana Brewster
Jessica Biel
Tyra Banks
Vanessa Minnillo
Laura Dutta (2000 Miss Universe)
Scarlet Johansen (she has denied it, but the rumors are there)

He may have already set the record. But if was an NBA guy I think that people would look (unjustified IMO) at him as a man ho.

The NBA gets way more bad pub than the other leagues, they are not all DB as you said but people tend to lean towards the NBA as having a higher percentage of them.

jamesblakefan#1
11-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Say what?!!!

Say what you want (I'll assume you live outside NY and are not a Yankee fan-no big deal), but to flippantly suggest that Jeter is this club-hopping late-night party hound latching 'conquest' notches on his belt is pure, unadulterated nonsense that his (and Yankee) detractors have been trying to claim for years....and without any luck. And further, even most of the Yankee/Jeter-bashers admit that "there's nothing there."

This now 37 year-old guy has always played day in and day out, at shortstop no less. He's kept in shape to the point that he's logged enough playing time to amass 3,000 hits. He never 'asked for the day off' against a tough righty pitcher. But more to the point: you NEVER saw Derek Jeter's name in some "Page Six" tabloid gossip page outside some gossip-monger's unsubstantiated "he's rumored to be dating so and so" b.s. which is their stock in trade to begin with. Further, don't you think that a hi-profile handsome star playing in the media capital of the world wouldn't have cameras catching his every indescretion? Why don't you ever hear about someone stating some claim against him, e.g. that he was doing "this-and-that" at a party at "X's" mansion?

The truth is, while Red Sox fans and others would be giddy seeing Jeter's name splashed across the media--having been involved in some sleezebag incident--the fact remains: he's simply a solid, grounded (albeit superstar) dude. Pardon the baseball vernacular but you're way off-base here.

They're not all "me!...me!" ******bags.

There are the Drew Brees' (NFL-Saints), the Tim Duncans' (NBA-Spurs), the Tim Thomas' (NHL-Bruins).

You know Jeter personally? We didn't hear anything about Tiger either, but look how that turned out...

Jeter's gotta be crushing it. 37 year old bachelor? He'd be stupid if he wasn't running through every nice looking woman the Bronx has to offer. Nothing wrong with that.

Hot Sauce
11-23-2011, 02:57 PM
The NBA won't miss you.

Ronaldo
11-23-2011, 09:34 PM
To my knowledge Wilt was never involved in an incident he just crushed tang and lots of it.

Maybe Jeets isnt quite trying to break Wilts record. But he has to be attempting to break the record of celebrity tang crushing.

I actually just wanted to say crushin tang (its gettin kinda old saying that now).

But

Adriana Lima
Minka Kelly
Jessica Alba
Mariah Carey
Vida Guerra
Jordana Brewster
Jessica Biel
Tyra Banks
Vanessa Minnillo

He may have already set the record. But if was an NBA guy I think that people would look (unjustified IMO) at him as a man ho.

The NBA gets way more bad pub than the other leagues, they are not all DB as you said but people tend to lean towards the NBA as having a higher percentage of them.

Hi-ho, Hi-ho it's off to work I go
Don't Hate the Playa

dParis
11-23-2011, 10:53 PM

But

Adriana Lima <== This...
Minka Kelly
Jessica Alba
Mariah Carey
Vida Guerra
Jordana Brewster
Jessica Biel <==...and this...
Tyra Banks
Vanessa Minnillo

...= Hero Worship.

CCNM
11-25-2011, 02:33 PM
You can say the same for all of the major sports to be fair. MLB you have guys grandstanding after HRs and pitchers showboating after strikeouts. In the NFL it got so bad that penalties had to be put in place to stop the excessive celebration after TDs. It's a me-first era, me-first generation.

These guys know that if they put themselves out there and make a name for themselves, they can make money off of it through endorsements and such. Rodman wasn't the first one to do it, but he really took it to a new level with his tats and hair coloring in addition to his off the court exploits. But the fact that he was a damn good player let him get away with a lot of his antics.

Can't argue with that (cough, cough Magic Johnson; cough, cough Wilt Chamberlain). Derek Jeter a playah???? I'd really be surprised if any dirt came out on him. :)

Ronaldo
11-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Investigate The Greatest' reputation for laying it down and discover why he was the baddest man on the planet.

anhuynh16
11-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Nba Is Back!!!!!

Ronaldo
11-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Nba Is Back!!!!!

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/11/25/labor-friday.ap/index.html

CCNM
11-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Nba Is Back!!!!!
I'm sure the pro basketball fans are going to be thrilled with this news.

Ronaldo
12-06-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm sure the pro basketball fans are going to be thrilled with this news.

Laker fans may get a blockbuster trade soon, http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/12/06/report-lakers-hunting-big-fish/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

FuriousYellow
12-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Laker fans may get a blockbuster trade soon, http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/12/06/report-lakers-hunting-big-fish/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Man, everyone is picking up on that rumor. As a Laker fan, I'm used to every free-agent name dropping the Lakers as possible destination to drive their price up.

I normally shrug off 90% of these rumors because they're bogus. It's hard to ignore this one because Broussard called the LeBron to Miami and Melo to New York moves.

Ronaldo
12-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Man, everyone is picking up on that rumor. As a Laker fan, I'm used to every free-agent name dropping the Lakers as possible destination to drive their price up.

I normally shrug off 90% of these rumors because they're bogus. It's hard to ignore this one because Broussard called the LeBron to Miami and Melo to New York moves.

The D Howard rumour has floated since the end of last season. Have and Have Nots all over again.

volleygirl
12-06-2011, 11:23 AM
The D Howard rumour has floated since the end of last season. Have and Have Nots all over again.

They just came out of a lockout and the only story about the NBA is more stars leaving small and mid market teams and heading to the big cities again. The sport will collapse if all the stars insist on playing in only LA, NY, Miami, Dallas, and Chicago.

Kevin T
12-06-2011, 11:44 AM
They just came out of a lockout and the only story about the NBA is more stars leaving small and mid market teams and heading to the big cities again. The sport will collapse if all the stars insist on playing in only LA, NY, Miami, Dallas, and Chicago.

Yep. Though they will never be as popular, you would think all sports would seriously consider the NFL model of revenue sharing/free agency/etc. It's really, really hard to pull for teams like the Sacramento Kings and Pittsburgh Pirates when you know they might get one shot at the title every 100 years or so and only be decent once every 9 or 10 years.

ollinger
12-06-2011, 11:55 AM
That's why the NFL is the best run league. The dominant team right now is from......Green Bay, Wisconsin. Everyone has a chance, if your management is smart enough.

jamesblakefan#1
12-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Say what?!!!

You're right...he gives memorabilia baskets to his conquests. :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2073676/Baseball-lothario-Derek-Jeter-gives-basket-signed-swag-night-stands.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Power Player
12-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Yeah, it's pretty obvious Jeter has hooked up with tons of women.

Now it's out there, but most people I knew in NYC already talked about it.

Hilarious article. The guy gives out his own paraphernalia.

That's a power ego. Him and ARod are massive egomaniacs.

r2473
12-13-2011, 02:35 PM
It's really, really hard to pull for teams like the Sacramento Kings and Pittsburgh Pirates when you know they might get one shot at the title every 100 years

http://www.cubssuckclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/cubs-suck-since-1908-shirt.jpg

Kevin T
12-13-2011, 02:46 PM
http://www.cubssuckclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/cubs-suck-since-1908-shirt.jpg

You're a die hard Cubs fan, huh? Tough times. My wife is from Sacramento and loves the Kings. IMHO, it's hard to pull for a team from a city called 'Sac'. Even harder when the historic downtown area/hip area is called 'Old Sac'. :) When we visit the in-laws, I try to bring 'Old Sac' into every conversation possible. :)

r2473
12-13-2011, 02:55 PM
I grew up in Iowa. We have the farm club in Des Moines and Chicago was the closest team to us.

Cubs have one of the highest payrolls and still can't produce a winning record. Pretty sad. I heard that this year, at least for the last few months, season ticket holders were boycotting the games to show their dissatisfaction with the futility of the program. They aren't satisfied being "the lovable losers" anymore I guess. Well, we'll see what happens next year. My guess is that the games will sell out like always.

anhuynh16
12-13-2011, 05:38 PM
anyone doing fantasy bb?

Ronaldo
12-13-2011, 06:36 PM
anyone doing fantasy bb?

The Lakers must be doing fantasy bb after the Odom trade to the Mavericks.

anhuynh16
12-14-2011, 08:08 AM
The Lakers must be doing fantasy bb after the Odom trade to the Mavericks.

Lol, I think we should have a league

ollinger
12-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Knocking Jeter just doesn't make any sense to me. The most telling thing about him is that you never seem to hear any of the women he's been with trashing him. That's high praise for a successful and single athlete.

Ronaldo
12-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Knocking Jeter just doesn't make any sense to me. The most telling thing about him is that you never seem to hear any of the women he's been with trashing him. That's high praise for a successful and single athlete.

Must be those autographed baseballs, eh?

ollinger
12-14-2011, 11:42 AM
......mariah carey probably got two

Ronaldo
12-14-2011, 12:00 PM
......mariah carey probably got two

The Twins, eh? Jeter must have a HoF slugging percentage.

Power Player
12-14-2011, 12:01 PM

Please there are tons of players that keep their business quiet. Anyway it's not the point.

The point is the guy hands out his own paraphernalia to women he sleeps with. That's hilarious and egotistical as well.

I am not hating on the guy for getting with hot girls, I think that part is great.

Bhagi Katbamna
12-14-2011, 02:57 PM
I grew up in Iowa. We have the farm club in Des Moines and Chicago was the closest team to us.

Cubs have one of the highest payrolls and still can't produce a winning record. Pretty sad. I heard that this year, at least for the last few months, season ticket holders were boycotting the games to show their dissatisfaction with the futility of the program. They aren't satisfied being "the lovable losers" anymore I guess. Well, we'll see what happens next year. My guess is that the games will sell out like always.

You know, the only disadvantage of the South Side of Chicago having a professional baseball team is that the North Side will want one.

Ronaldo
12-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Will the Lakers give Meta World Peace a chance to play more this year?

volleygirl
12-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Will the Lakers give Meta World Peace a chance to play more this year?

Is he related to World B Free?

Ronaldo
12-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Is he related to World B Free?

Only on the basketball court. Hopefully both found inner peace and a jumpshot.

West Coast Ace
12-21-2011, 05:55 PM
That's hilarious and egotistical as well.+1.

The point is the guy hands out his own paraphernalia to women he sleeps with. I'll bet these chicks gave their Dads/brothers some cool Xmas gifts (if they were Yankee fans).

Will the Lakers give Meta World Peace a chance to play more this year?His Inner Ron Ron will emerge at some point. And the new coach won't put up with his half-*ss play.

This year is going to be a joke. The teams with old dudes - San Antonio and Boson - are going to have a tough go with the compressed schedule. Coaches are going to have to juggle schedules and manage PT more than ever before. Wake me up in June for the Final - I might get interested.

Kevin T
12-22-2011, 08:34 AM
+1.

I'll bet these chicks gave their Dads/brothers some cool Xmas gifts (if they were Yankee fans).

His Inner Ron Ron will emerge at some point. And the new coach won't put up with his half-*ss play.

This year is going to be a joke. The teams with old dudes - San Antonio and Boson - are going to have a tough go with the compressed schedule. Coaches are going to have to juggle schedules and manage PT more than ever before. Wake me up in June for the Final - I might get interested.

Me too. All you LA fans...the time of reckoning is upon you....here comes the Jimmer.

equinox
12-22-2011, 08:18 PM
With the tebow guy? conquering the NFL. Basketball is irrelevant.

FeŮa14
12-25-2011, 08:42 PM
I tried to watch it today, after ESPN in the UK lost the rights to the NHL (I've always been a hockey fan, but having it on every night was amazing).

Basketball seems to be too stop and start. I always thought it was exciting, end to end stuff. I saw 7 foot players diving and the rest of the time it was just one play, then a big break with players standing around.

It's a shame because it has all the ingredients to be one of the most exciting sports to watch on tv, even for people who aren't die hard fans.

Ronaldo
12-25-2011, 08:57 PM
I tried to watch it today, after ESPN in the UK lost the rights to the NHL (I've always been a hockey fan, but having it on every night was amazing).

Basketball seems to be too stop and start. I always thought it was exciting, end to end stuff. I saw 7 foot players diving and the rest of the time it was just one play, then a big break with players standing around.

It's a shame because it has all the ingredients to be one of the most exciting sports to watch on tv, even for people who aren't die hard fans.

How bout them Bulls today!

anhuynh16
12-25-2011, 09:26 PM
TNT had a faux-pas today. Mainly Understood by sneakerheads(like me) who were watching the bulls-lakers game. So there comparing the new Kobe VII to the AdiZero rose 2,both are in the x-Mas colorway. That Lady says something like - this is the shoe KB is wearing today and many of his fans are calling it "the grinch" because of its neon accents. Well the shoe is actually based on th leopard+last years x-mas colorway was based on the grinch NOT this years.

when I heard that I had a huge **facepalm**

Ronaldo
12-25-2011, 09:29 PM
TNT had a faux-pas today. Mainly Understood by sneakerheads(like me) who were watching the bulls-lakers game. So there comparing the new Kobe VII to the AdiZero rose 2,both are in the x-Mas colorway. That Lady says something like - this is the shoe KB is wearing today and many of his fans are calling it "the grinch" because of its neon accents. Well the shoe is actually based on th leopard+last years x-mas colorway was based on the grinch NOT this years.

when I heard that I had a huge **facepalm**

Which is lighter?

wings56
12-25-2011, 09:52 PM
lakers :( 10 chars.

anhuynh16
12-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Which is lighter?

The AdiZero Rose 2. My fantasy team had a good start to the season yesterday , in my league I scored the most (107) thanks to Rondo's 31,R. Allen's 20 and KDs 30 and also Tyson Chandler and Deandre Jordan's combined 14 blocks

Ronaldo
12-26-2011, 07:33 AM
DeAndre Jordan will own the dunk contest.

anhuynh16
12-26-2011, 08:26 AM
DeAndre Jordan will own the dunk contest.

Did he enter it last year?

Ronaldo
12-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Did he enter it last year?

No, Blake Griffin, Serge Ibaka, Brandon Jennings and JaVale McGee were in the contest. Nate Robinson and Dwight Howard dominated the prior three yrs.

anhuynh16
12-26-2011, 09:12 AM
No, Blake Griffin, Serge Ibaka, Brandon Jennings and JaVale McGee were in the contest. Nate Robinson and Dwight Howard dominated the prior three yrs.

IMO BG should'nt of won, javale mcgee had far better dunks, so did serge ibaka