PDA

View Full Version : Best tablet for the value...

soyizgood
11-19-2011, 09:37 AM
I normally wouldn't bother looking at tablets. But after getting my fiancee an iPad as an engagement gift, I started looking into getting a tablet myself.

iPad is too pricey in my book (I can get a pretty good laptop for less) and it doesn't support Flash nor Java. Xoom is pricey too. Kindle Fire and the Nook both have quirks that make me have to swallow pills to overlook. Acer, Toshiba, Samsung offer tablets running Honeycomb that I'm mulling over.

Any advice would be appreciated.

r2473
11-19-2011, 09:55 AM
generic aspirin

soyizgood
11-19-2011, 09:59 AM
generic aspirin

Won't work for me anymore. :( Generic Tylenol works, sometimes.

soyizgood
11-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Staples selling Blackberry Playbook for $200 on Black Friday. Acer Iconia for $300.

I've heard not so good things about the Playbook (essentially an incomplete tablet that was rushed to production). Iconia I've seen mixed reviews on but I like the specs and price.

Tennishacker
11-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Wow your cheap:-?

Hey, if she didn't complain about not getting jewelry, good for you!

r2473
11-19-2011, 10:40 AM
after getting my fiancee an iPad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ueFND7JT4

So, are you buying a house (the worst investment possible)?

Feņa14
11-19-2011, 10:41 AM
What about a first generation iPad? Or maybe wait a bit and get the current iPad when they release a new one, which i've heard will be in the new year sometime.

soyizgood
11-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Wow your cheap:-?

Hey, if she didn't complain about not getting jewelry, good for you!

I gave her a ring AND the iPad 2, the one with 3G included.

sportsfan1
11-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Spend the money on new frames instead, wouldn't you be happier? :-)

soyizgood
11-19-2011, 12:31 PM
I would look at generic androids, but some of those vendors don't provide android OS updates. Nook would be great if it didn't provide only 1 GB for non-B&N content. I have reservations about the Kindle Fire, especially if it means going through Amazon's Android Marketplace.

I might stop by the AT&T store to see what they have.

Slayer_of_Kings
11-19-2011, 12:34 PM
http://depthome.brooklyn.cuny.edu/classics/dunkle/athnlife/images/tablet.jpg

sureshs
11-19-2011, 01:43 PM
iPad2.........

albino smurf
11-19-2011, 03:34 PM
wifi 16gb iPad 1

subz
11-19-2011, 04:25 PM
I normally wouldn't bother looking at tablets. But after getting my fiancee an iPad as an engagement gift, I started looking into getting a tablet myself.

iPad is too pricey in my book (I can get a pretty good laptop for less) and it doesn't support Flash nor Java. Xoom is pricey too. Kindle Fire and the Nook both have quirks that make me have to swallow pills to overlook. Acer, Toshiba, Samsung offer tablets running Honeycomb that I'm mulling over.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sony Tablet S is an option as well but it is expensive.

I think an iPad 1 is a good option...

soyizgood
11-19-2011, 06:06 PM
What's the big difference between iPad v2 and v1? Other than the camera, that is...

Netspirit
11-19-2011, 06:30 PM
I'd just wait a year or so for Windows 8 tables. Even if you don't end up buying one, they should drive all prices down.

SoBad
11-19-2011, 09:03 PM
What do you need a tablet for? A phone in the pocket and a computer back in the room collectively meet the basic communication needs for many good people.

Power Player
11-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Ipad2 is ridiculously good. I have been using it all day and it is pretty much replacing my laptop.

djokovicgonzalez2010
11-19-2011, 09:13 PM
My mother has an iPad. It's amazing but expensive. Outside that...I like the look of the Kindle Fire, I gotta say. But a generic Android tablet-one with actual Android, not the watered down B&N or Amazon version-would be my pick. There are many for under $100, though most have 256 MB RAM, which really wouldn't do. I'd want at least 512, which this one (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7188918&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE) seems to have.

Fearsome Forehand
11-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Best tablet for the money and they never crash:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_S2HfD7lRi2Y/S10Mqc7BI1I/AAAAAAAACho/RJ6aiDXIsRA/s320/BigChiefTablet.jpg

soyizgood
11-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Has any of the Android tablet users here been able to upgrade from 2.x to Honeycomb?

Magic of tennis
11-20-2011, 04:06 PM
I don't understand why people buy tablet instead of laptop. I thought laptop is much better. I can't think of any use of them for me. My desk top works good and on the move, my iphone does job for me. it is slow but can find things I need.

soyizgood
11-20-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't understand why people buy tablet instead of laptop. I thought laptop is much better. I can't think of any use of them for me. My desk top works good and on the move, my iphone does job for me. it is slow but can find things I need.

I feel the same way. My phone does a good job when I have to use it for internet.

I almost want to crack up at folks that have the ipod, iphone, AND ipad by their side. The iPhone made the iPod useless and the iPad is a big screen iPhone minus the ability to make calls.

There are times I actually want to do things that do not require going online or being near a computer of any sort. I never caught on with the tablet craze. I'm just taking a look at a few of them, but I don't know if they suit my lifestyle. I just feel like the iPad is a status-symbol toy. Can't see myself getting one. Even if I get a tablet, not sure if I would get one that has 3G capability. My phone has 3G and I don't want to pay for two 3G plans.

Pacific lefty
11-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I love my iPad but I have friends who say the Acer is great because of the USB connection...

Andreas1965
11-20-2011, 11:03 PM
I feel the same way. My phone does a good job when I have to use it for internet.

I almost want to crack up at folks that have the ipod, iphone, AND ipad by their side. The iPhone made the iPod useless and the iPad is a big screen iPhone minus the ability to make calls.

There are times I actually want to do things that do not require going online or being near a computer of any sort. I never caught on with the tablet craze. I'm just taking a look at a few of them, but I don't know if they suit my lifestyle. I just feel like the iPad is a status-symbol toy. Can't see myself getting one. Even if I get a tablet, not sure if I would get one that has 3G capability. My phone has 3G and I don't want to pay for two 3G plans.

Used to think the same way until I had an IPad ;)
It's so much more comfortable reading the newspapers or looking up something on the web compared to the small screened IPhone. I have both, IPhone and IPad, and both do different jobs for me. With the IPad I can work on e.g. presentations while sitting in a plane or train. And posting to TT is so convenient... ;)

Magic of tennis
11-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Used to think the same way until I had an IPad ;)
It's so much more comfortable reading the newspapers or looking up something on the web compared to the small screened IPhone. I have both, IPhone and IPad, and both do different jobs for me. With the IPad I can work on e.g. presentations while sitting in a plane or train. And posting to TT is so convenient... ;)

Wouldn't laptops do better job than iPad or tablets? It has bigger ram and bigger hard drive. And you can download almost every single programs exist in the world. Only difference is cover. One has cover and the other doesn't have it. Well isn't having a cover better for gagets for screen protection? Can somebody convince me that tablet is better than laptops please? If someone convince me, I might buy one on this Black Friday

soyizgood
11-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Wouldn't laptops do better job than iPad or tablets? It has bigger ram and bigger hard drive. And you can download almost every single programs exist in the world. Only difference I can is cover. One has cover and the other doesn't have it. Well isn't having a cover better for gagets for screen protection? Can somebody convince me that tablet is better than laptops please? If someone convince me, I might buy one on this Black Friday

Other than instantly getting information or showing something (i.e. directions, reviews, etc.) to someone on the spot with a tablet, tablets aren't any better than laptops. Sure tablets are lighter and have apps for it. I just don't like that iPads have internal batteries (if the battery goes, have to replace the whole unit) and that they lack expansion slots. Also I am skeptical about some Android vendors being able to provide OS updates for their products. Adobe has abandoned support for Flash on mobile devices so the expectation is that HTML 5 will finally come into its own.

I might just go for a Honeycomb Android tablet on the low-end and just buy a cheap SD memory card for expansion.

Andreas1965
11-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Wouldn't laptops do better job than iPad or tablets? It has bigger ram and bigger hard drive. And you can download almost every single programs exist in the world. Only difference I can is cover. One has cover and the other doesn't have it. Well isn't having a cover better for gagets for screen protection? Can somebody convince me that tablet is better than laptops please? If someone convince me, I might buy one on this Black Friday
Any device fills in for different needs, I would say. I use the MacBook when I am on the road, e.g. going to conventions and am sure I will have a decent hotel room or a spot at the convention center where I can work. The IPad comes in handy during flights, or at places where a Notebook would be inconvenient, e.g. When lying by the pool ;)
The IPad is small enough to be carried around in a woman's handbag, needs no accessories, like mouse, or a huge AC connector. So, when it only comes to presenting something at a convention (which is a major part of my job) I just rely on my IPad. The presentation files are stored on it and you can connect it to any beamer.
And: my MacBook's battery lasts only about 1/2 to 2/3 the time my IPad lasts. If you are just writing texts or creating presentations without using the 3G functionality, you can work for more than 15 hours without recharging it.

I would say if you do not have a notebook at this time, you should first think of buying a decent notebook. I always suggest going Mac, but if you're more a Windows-Man, it's ok.
If you already have a notebook, well, then think about expanding your view with an IPad.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.453397,7.005594

mtommer
11-21-2011, 12:12 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned ASUS tablets yet. They are very well supported in the typical ASUSTek manner.

mtommer
11-21-2011, 12:22 AM

Sure laptops do a great job. However, the Android Market is nothing to sneeze at and really is a game changer, similar to iPad in this regard. Tablets are great for people who are always moving around, constantly juggling things and really need the quick and easy usability that tablets provide. They power up faster. Everything you need to use them begins and ends with the tablet itself. Ninety to ninety-five percent of what you can do on laptops you can do on tablets. The difference in percentage really has to do with proprietary software and games. Games are mostly offset by Android Market games.

One of the biggest selling points for tablets really lies with the mobile phone consumer market that is a few years old now. Everybody is creating apps nowadays. These apps allow someone to quickly and easily get pertinent information in their hand. The apps are also often faster than going to individual websites and having to log in etc. I would say tablets are similar to going from a television you have to get up and turn the knob to change channels to one that works via remote control. Simply put, tablets do almost everything laptops do only they do it quicker and easier. Also, cloud computing has really negated hard drive storage differences.

MesQueUnClub
11-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Like the new kindle fire. Got one for wife and ended up buying one more.

Hot Sauce
11-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Blackberry Playbook is on sale for $200! I'm considering getting one.. I'm just not sure how much compatability it will have with Android apps in the future.

Also considering a Kindle Fire.

Power Player
11-21-2011, 07:15 AM

I have had a laptop for years and used it over my ipad for daily tasks. The ipad 2 took it to the next level, as it is very fast and so mobile. The battery lasts all day (I get 2 days of tons of usage or 1 week of lighter usage) so I am not tethered to anything. No whirring fans, hot lap or slow loading. It is a super fast device that does everything faster than my laptop, and it is only $500.

You can sit there and skype with family, or use facetime. Another thing I do is I bought an appletv device and will play spotify through it. So when I have people over, I can use the Ipad to remotely control the music coming through my stereo. Or I can watch youtube on my TV and use the ipad as the remote. It makes youtube 1,000 times better when you are just on the sofa and watching it on a fullscreen.

I rarely miss not having FLASH, because most imbedded youtube vids play, or you click the link and it opens the youtube app anyway. Flash drains your power a lot faster and is inefficient, plus it is rapidly being phased out from mobile devices, so you will not even need it.

Anyway, I used to use my laptop and the ipad was more for certain things, like spotify, movies and laying in bed reading. It has just naturally evolved to where my laptop is powered off for weeks and I don't even need it anymore. I just walk in and pick up my ipad and use it for everything.

soyizgood
11-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Leaning towards the Acer Iconia 10.1. Staples will have it for $300 on Friday. Toshiba Thrive will be $350. I'll look around for better deals on Honeycomb tablets.

EDIT: Looks like Best Buy trumps Staples. Asus Transformer for $249 and Toshiba Thrive for $279.

Power Player
11-22-2011, 05:55 AM
the Iconcia looks real cheap IMO. I don't know, I have a Droid phone and it's nice, but nothing beats an Ipad.

soyizgood
11-22-2011, 01:29 PM
the Iconcia looks real cheap IMO. I don't know, I have a Droid phone and it's nice, but nothing beats an Ipad.

The Iconia has a A501 version which is 4G capable. I just don't like that AT&T offers one with a minimum $35/month data plan for two years.

mtommer
11-22-2011, 03:46 PM

It's not. If you hold the Iconia it's actually very solid and a bit heavier than many of its counterparts, namely due to the many different side ports it has on board.

Tchocky
11-22-2011, 08:17 PM
I would get a Kindle Fire if I didn't already have an iPad.

soyizgood
11-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Sold out and bought the Acer Iconia A501. So now I have both wifi and 4G internet. After rebates this sets me back around $450. Looks good and should be fun to play with. Realized I needed to download the USB driver for my XP machine to detect it.

Power Player
11-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Congrats. You may enjoy this read whle you surf on your new tablet.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2011/11/22/tablets/

soyizgood
11-24-2011, 07:55 AM
My co-worker asked me to choose a tablet for her from the three she had in mind. I wasn't fond of them, so referred her to two tablets with 512 RAM. VitalASC makes a decent one for under $200, granted it runs Froyo (2.2)

http://www.amazon.com/Faster-Dual-Core-1Ghz-Bluetooth/dp/B005LJ6EFA/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1322149923&sr=1-4

quest01
11-24-2011, 08:57 AM
The iPad 2 is the best tablet out there right now. It has the best operating system with no viruses, it has the most apps, best battery life, thinner and lighter than other tablets, has iCloud so you can sync everything over the air, etc...

soyizgood
11-24-2011, 11:40 AM
The iPad 2 is the best tablet out there right now. It has the best operating system with no viruses, it has the most apps, best battery life, thinner and lighter than other tablets, has iCloud so you can sync everything over the air, etc...

iPad 2 went cheap on the RAM and camera quality. Battery life, I'll give you that. Still, the apps difference is only about 10% more for the iPad.

LanEvo
11-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Blackberry PB is great for the price for $199.

sureshs
11-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Blackberry PB is great for the price for $199.

Is it true that you cannot even read email on it without tethering to a Blackberry?

soyizgood
11-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Is it true that you cannot even read email on it without tethering to a Blackberry?

Dumbarse move by RIM there. RIM tried to convince customers months ago to buy it by promising to fix that oversight. I don't think RIM has corrected that issue still.

JackB1
11-24-2011, 01:10 PM
I picked up my HP Touchpad for $99 during the fire sale they had a few months ago and love it!

neverstopplaying
11-24-2011, 03:32 PM
I've got iPad 1 , acer and samsung.

For price acer, but feels cheaper
For apple heads iPad. Personally I hate using iTunes to xfer anything

Best overall is samsung - I just love dragging anything onto it like a flash drive. Solid feel. Fast performance, but aboutvsame price as apple.

sapient007
11-25-2011, 08:27 PM
one of these tablets should do the trick

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/product/17051986/view/1/type/png/width/378/height/378/woman-get-back-in-the-kitchen-apron.png

infonoob
11-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Try a Google Chromebook

Andreas1965
11-26-2011, 01:56 AM
For apple heads iPad. Personally I hate using iTunes to xfer anything

I never understood, and never will understand, what kind of problem people have with ITunes.
I mean, come on, it is 100% self explaining, no rocket science. And it's fool-proof, comfortable and fast.

sureshs
11-26-2011, 08:34 AM
I picked up my HP Touchpad for $99 during the fire sale they had a few months ago and love it!

I tried it out yesterday at a friend's place. He bought the more memory version at 149 I believe. Pretty decent.

coolblue123
11-27-2011, 05:24 AM
just brought an iconia a500 for $210. love the 10.1 screen resolution, build quality, screen sensitivity, and animation smoothness. definitely up there for best in class in terms of Android tabs. btw it has all the ports u need. (HDMI, mini USB, SD, SD micro, USB)...

coolblue123
11-27-2011, 05:25 AM
I tried it out yesterday at a friend's place. He bought the more memory version at 149 I believe. Pretty decent.
my coworker brought one, can't wait for ice cream sandwich to come out for tp

mtommer
11-27-2011, 07:04 AM
just brought an iconia a500 for $210. love the 10.1 screen resolution, build quality, screen sensitivity, and animation smoothness. definitely up there for best in class in terms of Android tabs. btw it has all the ports u need. (HDMI, mini USB, SD, SD micro, USB)...

Nice! Where did you get it for $210?

I got the Asus Transformer during Best Buy's BF sale. The two are really similar spec wise, though I do like the keyboard docking station. I've been getting a lot of positive comments and questions when I've been out and about with it.

PED
11-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Nice! Where did you get it for $210?

I got the Asus Transformer during Best Buy's BF sale. The two are really similar spec wise, though I do like the keyboard docking station. I've been getting a lot of positive comments and questions when I've been out and about with it.

Check out the bestbuy site today with deals on tablets, it's 221.

soyizgood
11-27-2011, 08:01 AM
$229 for the 8GB Iconia is a nice price. Slap 32GB SD chip on it and you get 40GB to play with.

PED
11-27-2011, 09:16 AM
$229 for the 8GB Iconia is a nice price. Slap 32MB SD chip on it and you get 40GB to play with.

How much is the 32mb chip?

I might run by best buy today and see how it looks. Thanks for starting this thread, I was going the nook tablet route until you brought up that point about only 1gb for non B&N content :(

soyizgood
11-27-2011, 09:34 AM
How much is the 32gb chip?

Amazon has them starting around $30.

coolblue123
11-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Nice! Where did you get it for $210

Kmart... it went on saleon thanksgiving

MichaelNadal
11-27-2011, 11:49 AM
With my Galaxy S2 (which has a 4.5 inch screen) I really don't ever see the need for a tablet. Which like someone said is just a big screened iphone or android phone. There's not a single thing im missing between my computer and my phone, which is FANTASTIC btw.

Dream_On
11-27-2011, 12:22 PM
With my Galaxy S2 (which has a 4.5 inch screen) I really don't ever see the need for a tablet. Which like someone said is just a big screened iphone or android phone. There's not a single thing im missing between my computer and my phone, which is FANTASTIC btw.

Unfortuently here it seems that the big phones such as the Galaxy S2 cost more than some decent tablets.
For example here : http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/cell-phone-detail.aspx?cell-phone=T-Mobile-Galaxy-S-II
$230 with a 2 year contract as well? - Contracts are expensive as **** in the usa. However if you do spend that money for a phone such as that then, yes I dont see the point in buying a tablet however if you don't and have a lesser phone then I can see the point in a tablet.
For under $230 right now you can get a blackberry playbook and similar tablets, which to me seems a pretty good deal compared to the ipad at 500 dollars and up.

JustBob
11-27-2011, 10:32 PM
I got a Le Pan TC 970 on sale for $169

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004PGMFG2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i2?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQ B&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0QYF7S7XB62E7X0YGJPY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383511&pf_rd_i=915398

Not that I really needed a tablet, just wanted something relatively cheap to play with. Only runs Froyo 2.2 but it's been successfully rooted as of last week.

soyizgood
11-27-2011, 11:00 PM
My friend rooted his Color Nook. He dumped the B&N custom OS and loaded Gingerbread on it. So he got around the 1 GB limitation. LOL

mtommer
11-28-2011, 10:06 AM

I've got the Photon which is close in screen size but it's a world of difference having the tablet for watching videos, gaming and browsing while out and about. If anything it's my phone that's become redundant for me.

Magic of tennis
11-28-2011, 11:09 PM

I heard about Galaxy S2. It is supposed to be as good as iphone if not better.

MichaelNadal
11-29-2011, 04:46 PM

Well it's all on what you prefer. I like the screen size better, android software better etc. But stats-wise it is slightly better than the iphone.

MesQueUnClub
11-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Kindle fire. Got one for my wife and was impressed by it that I sold my ipad and the other android tablet(viewsonic) on e**y and got myself one as well.
It's nice form factor. I rooted it and installed market and unrooted. All in 5 minutes or so. Now everything works nicely, Amazon VOD, netflix and more importantly ESPN3.

Hot Sauce
11-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Bought a BlackBerry Playbook. It has a nice browser with flash integrated, excellent multitasking and a nice UI. However, it has barely any apps which is a real disappointment, and no integrated calendar and stuff yet (until February)

I'm thinking about returning it and picking up an Acer Iconia A100 for $250 online.

soyizgood
11-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Bought a BlackBerry Playbook. It has a nice browser with flash integrated, excellent multitasking and a nice UI. However, it has barely any apps which is a real disappointment, and no integrated calendar and stuff yet (until February)

I'm thinking about returning it and picking up an Acer Iconia A100 for $250 online.

Why the A100 at $250 when you can get the A500 (8 GB) for less?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+Iconia+Tablet+with+8GB+Memory+-+Silver/3815032.p?id=1218435210854&skuId=3815032&st=iconia%20a500&cp=1&lp=1

soyizgood
11-30-2011, 07:15 PM
My co-worker asked me to help her pick a cheap tablet for her two bosses. Her co-workers are being cheap. She wanted to get a tablet for under $130 for the bosses. I looked at the specs and wanted to cringe. Why give your bosses a cheap device that is so hit-or-miss with users? I'm trying to nudge her to getting a tablet with 512 MB RAM, capacitive touch screen, 4 GB space, camera being optional, all for around $150-160.

She also wants to give each of her young kids tablets for under $100. For them, a decent front-side camera and access to the Android marketplace is essential. I told her I can try to hack the tablet so it can access the Marketplace.

Hot Sauce
12-01-2011, 03:17 AM
Why the A100 at $250 when you can get the A500 (8 GB) for less?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+Iconia+Tablet+with+8GB+Memory+-+Silver/3815032.p?id=1218435210854&skuId=3815032&st=iconia%20a500&cp=1&lp=1

Sick deal, but it's sold out.

PED
12-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Kindle fire. Got one for my wife and was impressed by it that I sold my ipad and the other android tablet(viewsonic) on e**y and got myself one as well.
It's nice form factor. I rooted it and installed market and unrooted. All in 5 minutes or so. Now everything works nicely, Amazon VOD, netflix and more importantly ESPN3.

Do you miss the Ipad's larger screen when surfing or watching espn3?

MesQueUnClub
12-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Do you miss the Ipad's larger screen when surfing or watching espn3?

Actually no. The slight inconvenience of the smaller screen is offset in a huge way to be able to handle the tablet easier. I have decent sized hands and I can easily hold the fire in one hand whereas ipad felt too big and too heavy and not comfortable at all in 1 hand. The screen quality is about the same and I use the silk browser or dolphin for surfing. Dolphin works very nicely when streaming ESPN3.

I was watching WTF final on it last week and it was perfectly fine.

Power Player
12-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Havent used my laptop in over a week. I have made full conversion over to the ipad2 it appears.

quest01
12-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Yeah I heard about that, also a phone called the samsung galaxy nexus is coming out soon that sports a 4.65 inch screen and the new android 4.0 OS. I here that is suppose to be better then the iPhone 4s but who knows. The iPad 2 is a great tablet along with the samsung galaxy tab, the kindle fire has a nice price so it just depends on what your looking for. I've been using the iPhone for a while and considered switching to android, I do like the larger screen sizes but I'm not sure if the android os better than iOS overall. It would be nice if Apple came out with a 7 inch iPad.

Magic of tennis
12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Do you need to subscribe (3G ,4G or whatever) for tablets to connect to internet for wireless service? I know if you go those wi-fi places you can connect it for free.

Shangri La
12-01-2011, 03:31 PM

The Galaxy S2 is an amazing phone. I'm totally enjoying mine.

soyizgood
12-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Do you need to subscribe (3G ,4G or whatever) for tablets to connect to internet for wireless service? I know if you go those wi-fi places you can connect it for free.

Yes, you subscribe for 3g/4g service. The carrier's pricing model has hurt the market for those type of tablets. 2gb for $25 from at&t. I downgraded my cell phone bandwidth to offset the cost.

mtommer
12-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Yeah I heard about that, also a phone called the samsung galaxy nexus is coming out soon that sports a 4.65 inch screen and the new android 4.0 OS. I here that is suppose to be better then the iPhone 4s but who knows. The iPad 2 is a great tablet along with the samsung galaxy tab, the kindle fire has a nice price so it just depends on what your looking for. I've been using the iPhone for a while and considered switching to android, I do like the larger screen sizes but I'm not sure if the android os better than iOS overall. It would be nice if Apple came out with a 7 inch iPad.

Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) is incredibly slick. It's probably the first Android OS that really captures the look and feel of iOS. It's also the first Android OS that is truly a scalable cross platform between phones and tablets. I think there's only a few more weeks of beta testing left for 4.0 and then it should be rolled out, at least for my ASUS tab. Phone upgrades will take a bit longer as the carriers have to make sure their stock custom ROMS will work seamlessly for each phone.

FuriousYellow
12-01-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm considering an iPad2. Almost bought one Black Friday, but couldn't pull the trigger.

Also looking at Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. $399 for 16GB WiFi model. It's an upgraded version of the original Galaxy Tab 7.0. Faster processor, Honeycomb, microSD slot for up to additonal 32GB.

Brettolius
12-02-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm considering an iPad2. Almost bought one Black Friday, but couldn't pull the trigger.

Also looking at Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. $399 for 16GB WiFi model. It's an upgraded version of the original Galaxy Tab 7.0. Faster processor, Honeycomb, microSD slot for up to additonal 32GB.

I would advise you to just go with the ipad 2. You won't regret it. Nothing I have seen yet has matched it in actual usability. There are things that have better specs, but anymore that's half or less of the story.

sureshs
12-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I would advise you to just go with the ipad 2. You won't regret it. Nothing I have seen yet has matched it in actual usability. There are things that have better specs, but anymore that's half or less of the story.

That is basically it

Dream_On
12-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I just bought a hp touchpad on ****, it has come and I have to say I am very impressed with webos however of course its lacking a mass of applications choices. Im going to see about putting android on it.

Power Player
12-02-2011, 01:11 PM

Exactly..it just is the truth. I own android devices and a PC so I am not an applehead.

JackB1
12-02-2011, 07:12 PM
I just bought a hp touchpad on ****, it has come and I have to say I am very impressed with webos however of course its lacking a mass of applications choices. Im going to see about putting android on it.

I have a TP too and I love it. Get Homebrew installed on it. They have lots of great tweaks that will make it faster and smoother.

There is a mod out there so you can dual boot either WebOS or Android OS. Google Cyanogenmod

Hot Sauce
12-09-2011, 04:06 AM
I love my Acer Iconia A500.

coolblue123
12-09-2011, 04:35 AM
I love my Acer Iconia A500.

+1 I have one too. Very smooth graphics.

Have you rooted yet? I haven't because I didn't find too many uses for rooting yet. I was so pleasently surprised that it's compatiable with any USB keyboard. Still awaiting the micro-usb charging capabiilty.

But I really have to give Apple the credit that invented this demand.

Hot Sauce
12-09-2011, 04:04 PM
+1 I have one too. Very smooth graphics.

Have you rooted yet? I haven't because I didn't find too many uses for rooting yet. I was so pleasently surprised that it's compatiable with any USB keyboard. Still awaiting the micro-usb charging capabiilty.

But I really have to give Apple the credit that invented this demand.

No I haven't, but I've heard about it. Can you explain what rooting is?

I've come across 2 instances where rooting will be useful. One is a screen capture app that said I needed the device to be rooted, and the other is a way to disable the shutter sound on the camera (which is really loud).

mtommer
12-09-2011, 07:18 PM
How much is the 32mb chip?

To add to what Soyisgood mentioned you can also go with NewEgg. Sometimes they have them in the mid $30 range. Whatever you do though, don't bother with **** unless the seller is obviously a private party as opposed to an "eSeller". There are many, many counterfeits coming out with ever changing user accounts that are listed as brand names like SanDisk. Often they are only a fraction of the printed memory size.

Hot Sauce
12-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Wow, the Transformer is on sale for $300 now... a good $30 less than what I paid for my A500. Trying to decide whether I should buy it and return my A500!

soyizgood
12-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Where can I get Honeycomb 3.2 for the Iconia A501? AT&T is going to take an eternity to get around to it.

coolblue123
12-12-2011, 05:14 PM
heard the tp was on sale yesterday for $99 again. anyone got in?

mtommer
12-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Where can I get Honeycomb 3.2 for the Iconia A501? AT&T is going to take an eternity to get around to it.

If this tablet has cellular service then you'll just have to wait. Otherwise, visit Acer for the update file.

soyizgood
12-12-2011, 09:23 PM
If this tablet has cellular service then you'll just have to wait. Otherwise, visit Acer for the update file.

The A501 has a SIM card for AT&T service. I've done searches for the A501 with 3.2, but wanted to check with someone that's done it.

Hot Sauce
12-12-2011, 09:45 PM
I ordered a Transformer (not Prime) and I'm going to return my Iconia A500. Hopefully I get one with minimal light bleed.

coolblue123
12-13-2011, 04:00 AM
No I haven't, but I've heard about it. Can you explain what rooting is?

I've come across 2 instances where rooting will be useful. One is a screen capture app that said I needed the device to be rooted, and the other is a way to disable the shutter sound on the camera (which is really loud).

sorry for the delay. basically it's like jailbreaking. You basically get admin privi to your tab. This allows you to do certain things such as grab screen shots, unlock the BT protocols to include data tethering.

But great to hear you're getting the transformer, please let usknow how it goes. Are you getting the one with the quad core? I heard it's like super fast.

Torres
12-13-2011, 05:34 AM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/tablet-of-the-year-2011_round-up

Hot Sauce
12-13-2011, 02:43 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/tablet-of-the-year-2011_round-up

Well, that's what I'll be getting pretty soon! I find the most reviews on the Transformer to be a unfair because they factor in the keyboard, which is an accessory. 14 hours of battery life is when the keyboard is connected, and it only gets about 7+ hours by itself as a tablet compared to the Ipad's 9+.

Hot Sauce
12-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Got my Transformer, it's great. Video playback is much smoother than the Acer Iconia so I'm happier with it.

soyizgood
12-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Anyone here with Windows tablets? No need to hide. :)

Kurte954
12-30-2011, 08:08 PM
I got my wife the Kindle Fire for Christmas after many "subtle hints". She loves it.

West Coast Ace
12-30-2011, 10:53 PM
heard the tp was on sale yesterday for $99 again. anyone got in?I believe they are going to give HP employees the 1st shot - again. Guessing they will snap them all up. I know the ones my company hires are all going to exercise their option.

soyizgood
01-03-2012, 07:23 AM
AT&T finally updated my Iconia A501 to Honeycomb 3.2. With 3.2, the Iconia will be even more bad ***.

pushing_wins
01-04-2012, 01:43 AM
http://ahappydeal.com/products/product_46825.htm

coolblue123
01-04-2012, 03:23 AM
http://ahappydeal.com/products/product_46825.htm

I like this too:
http://ahappydeal.com/products/product_50160.htm

Hopefully, if they do truely support 1080p, the graphics card should be pretty decent. (it has a HDMI Output as well)
the 10 in screen and internal 8BG space makes alot of difference as well. Funny that it has a RJ45 jack port as well.

I am learning that with my phone. Since I only have 512MB memory, I constantly run out of space for apps (since many system apps can not be transferred to the external SD card)

However I got kinda scared that it came with a stylus. Does this mean the touch is not that sensitive? But for $128? A really nice deal!

Dream_On
01-04-2012, 04:26 AM
I like this too:
http://ahappydeal.com/products/product_50160.htm

Hopefully, if they do truely support 1080p, the graphics card should be pretty decent. (it has a HDMI Output as well)
the 10 in screen and internal 8BG space makes alot of difference as well. Funny that it has a RJ45 jack port as well.

I am learning that with my phone. Since I only have 512MB memory, I constantly run out of space for apps (since many system apps can not be transferred to the external SD card)

However I got kinda scared that it came with a stylus. Does this mean the touch is not that sensitive? But for $128? A really nice deal!

It comes with a stylus because its a resistive touch screen, most cheap tablets have a resistive touch screen. They are nowhere near as good as capacitive, even though they technically should be really. If you were to use your fingers then you would have to press harder, and also I very much doubt it has multi touch.

Darko
01-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Anyone here with Windows tablets? No need to hide. :)

None exist yet.

soyizgood
01-04-2012, 12:33 PM
None exist yet.

None of the Windows 8 tablets, but there are Windows 7 tablets out there.
http://windows7tab.com/
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=14&gs_id=13&xhr=t&q=windows+7+tablet&tok=EhsWbK-yWWEEFlH4JAK7fg&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1322&bih=792&wrapid=tljp1325709396639018&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3692456653120919797&sa=X&ei=W7gET4PhJsiRiQLE6MSKDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CH4Q8wIwAA#
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=14&gs_id=13&xhr=t&q=windows+7+tablet&tok=EhsWbK-yWWEEFlH4JAK7fg&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1322&bih=792&wrapid=tljp1325709396639018&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4052125825943424210&sa=X&ei=W7gET4PhJsiRiQLE6MSKDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CIwBEPMCMAM#

pushing_wins
01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
It comes with a stylus because its a resistive touch screen, most cheap tablets have a resistive touch screen. They are nowhere near as good as capacitive, even though they technically should be really. If you were to use your fingers then you would have to press harder, and also I very much doubt it has multi touch.

that particular model is resistive. you can get a capacitive screen for $20 more.

soyizgood
01-05-2012, 02:03 PM
http://www.computerworld.com/common/images/site/features/2012/01/Acer_Iconia_Tab_A200_gray_Lft2.jpg

Acer Iconia A200 coming out on January 15. 10.1 inch running Honeycomb 3.2 with free upgrade to 4.0 in mid-February. Go ACER!

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9223140/Acer_Iconia_A200_tablet_ships_Jan._15_for_330?sour ce=CTWNLE_nlt_pm_2012-01-05

pushing_wins
01-05-2012, 02:04 PM
http://www.amazon.ca/Pan-TC-970-9-7-Inch-Multi-Touch/dp/B004PGMFG2

this unit was on sale for $169 a few weeks ago

http://www.geartaker.com/spike/14thsuperdeal/TA0076B?clickid=0004b5cfd4a98d170a2a7d884e14756c

soyizgood
01-05-2012, 07:23 PM
I ditched my Sony Xperia X10 phone. I had handset insurance and used it to get a replacement phone. They gave me a certified refurbished Motorola Atrix 2 which I got today. I like the specs and features on this bad boy.

I got a Honeycomb tablet and Gingerbead phone, both with 4G capability. Now I can smile.

Mansewerz
01-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Is it easy and relatively safe to root the HP Touchpad?

soyizgood
02-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Is there a way to make a tablet stand out as its own access point? I want to give a few friends access to my Media Server. As it stands, it works only if I allow them to use one of the company's wi-fi points, which is an obvious no-no.

mucat
02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
I have been using the IdeaPad K1 10" with 32GB. Very happy with my purchase. Not the sexist tablet but very functional with good battery life.

soyizgood
02-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Called AT&T. Turning off the Hotspot feature was deliberate. At least I'm not under contract with the data plan since I paid full price for the tablet. Might see what T-Mobile has to offer for data plans. Or just go Wi-Fi entirely.

mtommer
02-02-2012, 08:56 PM
There are apps out there that will let you become a tether without going through the cell service specifically. You will probably have to root the tablet though. If you do that, learn and understand EXACTLY what's going and make sure you have a copy of the tablet's current ROM in case you have to service the device as rooting voids any and all warranties, service options, etc.

soyizgood
02-02-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm not too comfy with rooting. I could get a tool that will create a wi-fi access point, but I would need to install a DHCP server or daemon on the tablet. I once setup a cheapie DHCP server when I had windows 98.

I want to get a better Media Server than the one that came with the Iconia. It works, but it stops working after some amount of inactivity even when the wireless signal is still good.

If my plan works, my tablet would be a music station on a wi-fi access point that doesn't use my company's bandwidth.

EDIT: Appears I may need dnsmasq installed on the tablet.

mtommer
02-03-2012, 12:15 AM
I'm not too comfy with rooting. I could get a tool that will create a wi-fi access point, but I would need to install a DHCP server or daemon on the tablet. I once setup a cheapie DHCP server when I had windows 98.

I want to get a better Media Server than the one that came with the Iconia. It works, but it stops working after some amount of inactivity even when the wireless signal is still good.

If my plan works, my tablet would be a music station on a wi-fi access point that doesn't use my company's bandwidth.

EDIT: Appears I may need dnsmasq installed on the tablet.

For media, try the Winamp or PowerAmp apps. Winamp is free and very good and PowerAmp is even better though it does cost. If all you're doing is using an existing Wi-Fi access point you could probably just set up a file base in a cloud system and just have users access playlists that you create.
I believe PowerAmp will let you do something like this. It's kind of like Pandora but using your music instead of Pandora's cloud servers and customization algorithms.

JackB1
02-03-2012, 07:20 AM
there is a tablet for $129 at biglots.com that I got for my wife and we are surprised at how good it is for that price. Its made by Nextbook.
Highly recommended for anyone that wants a budget priced 7" Android tablet.

soyizgood
02-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Rumor is out the iPad 3 is coming in March. iOS vs Ice Cream Sandwich should be a great bout.

soyizgood
03-30-2012, 02:44 PM
OMG R.I.M. actually did something for the Playbook. RIM last month released an updated operating system for its PlayBook tablet that corrected the device's biggest failing by allowing users to access email without being tethered to a BlackBerry.

Typical R.I.M. Always way too slow to react to changes in the market. And now they decided to pull out of the consumer market altogether. $99 Playbooks on the horizon?

mtommer
03-30-2012, 07:40 PM
OMG R.I.M. actually did something for the Playbook. RIM last month released an updated operating system for its PlayBook tablet that corrected the device's biggest failing by allowing users to access email without being tethered to a BlackBerry.

Typical R.I.M. Always way too slow to react to changes in the market. And now they decided to pull out of the consumer market altogether. $99 Playbooks on the horizon?

Their entire server infrastructure/software was never coded to accept smartphones the way they are today. When you really think about it, the iPhone (and subsequently Android) hasn't really been around that long. Blackberry OS 10 devices will probably be rolling out in the third quarter and they are promised to be every bit as top notch as what's currently out there.

ICS is great btw. It has really sped up my Asus Transformer.

MAXXply
03-30-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm torn between the new iPad and a new Galaxy Tab 10.1. I'm also coming off contract with my iPhone in 3mths time and am torn between the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3.
But I think my main tech priority is to update my old craptop computer running Vista with the upcoming MacBook release (13"-15").

All my tennis gear spending will soon make way for personal tech.

soyizgood
03-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Acer is coming out with an Iconia A510 that sports a quad-core chip.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/iconia-tab-a/iconiataba510

Acer Print provides easy wireless printing with various format and printer support.

Digital Media Card Reader: MicroSD memory card up to 32GB (SDHC 2.0 compatible) and up to 2TB (SDXC 2.0 compatible)

A step closer to functioning like a PC?

Icedorb217
03-30-2012, 11:32 PM
For the value a kindle fire is pretty good.

Never mind.

acura9927
03-31-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm torn between the new iPad and a new Galaxy Tab 10.1. I'm also coming off contract with my iPhone in 3mths time and am torn between the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3.
But I think my main tech priority is to update my old craptop computer running Vista with the upcoming MacBook release (13"-15").

All my tennis gear spending will soon make way for personal tech.

I have the Galaxy Tab 10.1. A lot of crashes from the browser and youtube videos in HQ take forever to load compared to the desktop and laptop I also have Skip it.

Hot Sauce
03-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Their entire server infrastructure/software was never coded to accept smartphones the way they are today. When you really think about it, the iPhone (and subsequently Android) hasn't really been around that long. Blackberry OS 10 devices will probably be rolling out in the third quarter and they are promised to be every bit as top notch as what's currently out there.

ICS is great btw. It has really sped up my Asus Transformer.

It sped up mine too, but now I'm getting a lot of crashing and auto-restarting with freezing on boot. People on forums say you should always wipe after an update, but I dunno, I don't want to lose all my data & setups.

mtommer
04-01-2012, 11:58 PM
It sped up mine too, but now I'm getting a lot of crashing and auto-restarting with freezing on boot. People on forums say you should always wipe after an update, but I dunno, I don't want to lose all my data & setups.

Some of it is probably just the fact that many apps aren't still coded specifically for ICS. That will change with updates. So far the only program I've really had trouble with is DrawSomething and even then it's not really too much of a hassle. Mostly DS just force closes if I have the auto-rotate display function unselected.

kimbahpnam
04-02-2012, 01:01 AM
i'm waiting for an ipad mini

gamerx52986
04-03-2012, 05:19 PM
I just bought a tablet in February after trying them out for months. My decision came down to the Ipad 2 and Galaxy 10.1 tab. I ended up getting the Galaxy since I have an android based phone and felt more comfortable with it. I have had zero issues thus far and use it more than my laptop now.

LanEvo
04-03-2012, 07:32 PM
I have an iPad and a BB PB, great devices.

Magic of tennis
04-08-2012, 12:34 AM
i'm waiting for an ipad mini
If you like mini, I think Galaxy note is better choice.

MAXXply
04-09-2012, 04:54 AM
Decisions...decisions...I've decided against replacing my old laptop with a MacBook. I don't think I can justify the extra $$$ for a 13" MacBook Air when I can get a reasonably priced notebook with an i5/i7 and 4GB RAM. With the savings, I'll grab me an iPad. Two pieces of tech for less than the price of one MBA...
As for my phone, I'd be willing to skip Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S3 if they announce an update for the 5.3" Galaxy Note without the stylus.

soyizgood
09-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Wiping off the cobwebs....

Jellybean, Ice Cream Sandwich, iOS 5/6 users speak up!

mtommer
09-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Well my Transformer was upgraded to ICS during the summer. It is running smoother than before, and before wasn't to shabby. Honestly, at this stage in the game, choosing iOS or Android really comes down to app selection more than anything else. What one can do with the devices via standard builds of Android and iOS is almost identical. Google Maps, iOS new Maps. Dropbox, iCloud. TeleNav GPS, iOS Navigation and so on.

One thing that I do like about Android tablets is that most have USB ports and they for allow memory expandability via MicroSD Card storage. This does come in quite handy for music and video storage which is a big reason for a tablet in the first place. I would suggest again that people get a tablet based on their mobile phones operating system. It just makes "cross apping" far more convenient and easy.

nalvarado
09-25-2012, 09:01 AM
I had a Fire(running CM10) and sold it for a Nexus 7. Probably the best decision I have made recently. The nexus 7 is an incredible value for the money. I'd place it over the new Fire HD for sheer processing performance and running stock jellybean but its up to you. I absolutely hated the skin of android on my Fire. Got the 8 gig N7, rooted with stickmount and a 32gb flash drive and I'm fine. Let me know if you have any questions.

Power Player
09-25-2012, 09:20 AM
iOS 6 runs great on my ipad 2. I dont see myself getting a new tablet for a while. Even the old Ipods I would use for 3-4 years at a time until upgrading. I owned 2 ipods in my life and used the heck out of them. The tablet will have a longer lifespan, but for what the ipad 2 can do, I dont really need much more right now.

My parents are looking at a tablet, and I am checking out the nexus 7 and also interested in the ipad mini when it comes out. the thing I love about the ipad is that my mom is older and learned how to use it so quickly. Id like to keep her on that OS, but Id also like to see what windows has to offer.

nalvarado
09-25-2012, 09:48 AM
I believe the main issue that will arise for the speculated iPad mini will be the price point. Current iOS users will purchase it but with the cost of an iPod Touch already $100 more than the entry levels of the Fire HD and Nexus 7, the current flagships for Android, I have no clue how they will price it.

quest01
09-26-2012, 07:12 PM
I use an iPad 3 and I like it a lot, the retina display is the best part about it. The nexus 7 looks really nice, it comes with android jelly bean and its a great price for the specs. I'd consider switching to an android tablet down the road if they come out something with retina display quality. I updated the iPad with iOS 6 and it adds some cool features like Siri and 3d view in maps. The iPad mini looks intriguing, I hope it comes with a retina display, it would be a let down if it didn't.

PED
09-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Since moving to iOS6, have you noticed the battery draining faster? I've not upgraded yet after reading reports of that.

soyizgood
09-26-2012, 11:47 PM
I have my Acer Iconia A501. I'm still stuck with Honeycomb 3.2. AT&T hasn't delivered a ICS/Jellybean update. My tablet cost me $479 and I've only been upgraded from 3.0 to 3.2. I feel ripped off, especially since other telcos have 4.0 updates for it.

I might resort to rooting. I like my tablet, but it doesn't have great battery life. I might buy a low-priced tablet down the road or go for the Acer Iconia A700. Windows RT might be an option, but I'll probably stick with an Android tablet.

JackB1
02-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Need some recommendations....

I just cracked the screen on my HP Touchpad and need something new. My budget is around $350.

Some choices I have thought about so far:
New Ipad2 from fleabay for $350
Toshiba Excite for $350 from Woot
Samsung Galaxy Tab2 for $350
Chromebook?

Power Player
02-09-2013, 09:40 AM
How much do you use your tablet? I use mine so much that i just got an ipad 4. The resell on an ipad 2 is awesome. You can still get $250. The main thing to watch is how long the 2 will be supported. I have a feeling after this year, software updates will stop working on the 2.

The ipad4 is the best tablet out right now imo. Sell some sticks and try up your budget for a 499 version and you will be set.

JackB1
02-09-2013, 10:04 AM
How much do you use your tablet? I use mine so much that i just got an ipad 4. The resell on an ipad 2 is awesome. You can still get $250. The main thing to watch is how long the 2 will be supported. I have a feeling after this year, software updates will stop working on the 2.

The ipad4 is the best tablet out right now imo. Sell some sticks and try up your budget for a 499 version and you will be set.

just found a deal on a refurb Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" for $260. Should I go for that?
I dont really want to spend much more than $300.

Power Player
02-09-2013, 12:01 PM
I have no idea how you use your tablet or how much you use it. Personally I have not been impressed by any Adroid tablets, but I do a lot of music creation on mine, and the android system has few good apps for that plus the audio engines latency is really bad.

Andyroo10567
02-09-2013, 12:03 PM
You can either buy the refurbished OR wait for the Galaxy tab 3 with a 1280x800 display rumored to be released with a pricetag of $149.99. Supposed to be announced later this month in Barcelona.
Are you looking for a tablet immediately?

Sid_Vicious
02-09-2013, 03:34 PM

You think they will do that? That would suck. I mean the ipad mini that just came out is essentially an Ipad 2 with the sides trimmed off. They use the same processor, no retina display, and pretty much have the same benchmarks.

JackB1
02-11-2013, 06:42 AM
OK so I am down to this......

My budget is $250-350 and I have narrowed it down to these choices:

-Google Nexus 7
-Refurb Ipad 2
-Refurb Galaxy Tab 2
-Refurb Acer Iconia A210

anyone try any of these? The Nexus 7 gets glowing reviews from everywhere. My only concern is the smaller screen size. I mostly use my tablet at home to surf and post to this forum :) The Galaxy Tab2 gets medicre reviews and most sites believe it wasn't much of an upgrade from the original. And the Ipad2 we all know is a proven winner.

Sid_Vicious
02-11-2013, 08:43 PM
OK so I am down to this......

My budget is $250-350 and I have narrowed it down to these choices:

-Google Nexus 7
-Refurb Ipad 2
-Refurb Galaxy Tab 2
-Refurb Acer Iconia A210

anyone try any of these? The Nexus 7 gets glowing reviews from everywhere. My only concern is the smaller screen size. I mostly use my tablet at home to surf and post to this forum :) The Galaxy Tab2 gets medicre reviews and most sites believe it wasn't much of an upgrade from the original. And the Ipad2 we all know is a proven winner.
If your budget goes up to $ 350 and you think the Ipad 2 is a proven winner, why not go for the Ipad mini? Ipad Mini's start at $329. Just like the Ipad 2, the screen is unimpressive now due to all the retina displays out there, but it does have a more pixel dense screen since it's display is 1.8 inch smaller than a normal Ipad 2. Both Ipad Mini and 2 use the same 2011 A5 processor. Check it out (http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/)

Honestly, a smaller screen is not a bad thing. I really liked the new Ipad mini. I have always found the Ipad to be bulky and uncomfortable to use, personally.

JackB1
02-11-2013, 09:03 PM
If your budget goes up to $ 350 and you think the Ipad 2 is a proven winner, why not go for the Ipad mini? Ipad Mini's start at $329. Just like the Ipad 2, the screen is unimpressive now due to all the retina displays out there, but it does have a more pixel dense screen since it's display is 1.8 inch smaller than a normal Ipad 2. Both Ipad Mini and 2 use the same 2011 A5 processor. Check it out (http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/)

Honestly, a smaller screen is not a bad thing. I really liked the new Ipad mini. I have always found the Ipad to be bulky and uncomfortable to use, personally.

I actually picked up the Nexus 7 tablet today, which is supposed to be better than the MINI.

Sid_Vicious
02-11-2013, 09:09 PM
I actually picked up the Nexus 7 tablet today, which is supposed to be better than the MINI.

Good choice. You get a lot of bang for the buck with the Nexus 7.

Andyroo10567
02-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone picked up a Nexus 10?