PDA

View Full Version : How it would be the Tennis if Agassi were beaten Sampras in the 4 Slams Finals ??

A.A. The Punisher
07-14-2005, 12:08 PM
US Open 90
US Open 95
Wimbledon 99
US Open 02

Agassi 12 Grand Slams / AUS - Roland Garros - WIMBLEDON - US OPEN /
Gold OLYMPICS GAMES 96

Sampras 10 Grand Slams / Never won Roland Garros

Something to think about..................

federerhoogenbandfan
07-14-2005, 12:18 PM
I agree except for one thing perhaps. Had he won the 95 U.S open final his years of 96-98 may have also been extremely different. I think that was the most heartwrenching loss of his career, he had been the best player tournament to tournament that year, was undefeated on hard courts that summer, and yet ended the year without the U.S open title after that undefeated run on hard courts, with 1 slam to Pete's 2; and eventualy without the year-end #1 ranking he had not attained yet, and would only attain in a year Sampras missed the U.S open due to injury. That match may have had a substantial carryover effect for Agassi, not certain by any means, but quite conceivable.

matchpoint
07-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Agassi 12 Grand Slams / AUS - Roland Garros - WIMBLEDON - US OPEN /
Gold OLYMPICS GAMES 96

Sampras 10 Grand Slams / Never won Roland Garros

Something to think about..................

Que sera, sera whatever will be, will be... :mrgreen:

ps 6.0
07-14-2005, 01:24 PM
What if kraijek didnt beat sampras that one year at wimby... what if goran went undefeated in wimby finals... what if fed didn't beat sampras in their one meeting... there are so many different things that could have happened. in the end, agassi may have won all four slams, but sampras will be the one that will be (arguably) the GOAT.

spinbalz
07-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Well, he did not. End of the story...

Tennis_baller
07-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Hey, uh yeah this may be a stupid question, but what does calling federer and sampras GOAT mean?

spinbalz
07-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Greatest Of All Times

Aykhan Mammadov
07-14-2005, 04:35 PM
To post 1.

If it were as u described yr sign could be more or less close to the truth. Yes, Agassi is pretty nice man having many fans around the globe but he is definetly very far from being considered as the best. Many at least in my opinion were and are much better players than Agassi. Say Connors, McEnroe, Born Borg, undoubtly Pete Sampras, Federer.

But leaving all of them aside we have only 1 scale to compare them - results. And according this scale Sampras must be regarded as the best of all times with his 14 GS record.

Kobble
07-14-2005, 05:24 PM
It is things like this that make me wish Federer will win 15 GS plus the career grand slam. Then, we would have a so-called undisputed GOAT. Each man accomplished something the other could not, its just specificity, look around you.

pound cat
07-14-2005, 05:30 PM
What if Safin was consistent???

spinbalz
07-14-2005, 05:38 PM
What if Serena Williams was at 100% instead of playing at only 5% during all the matches she lost???

eqc6
07-14-2005, 06:03 PM
What if Serena Williams was at 100% instead of playing at only 5% during all the matches she lost???

What if Kournokova (sp?) was also the best female tennis player :mrgreen:

Tennis would probably be the most popular sport today

Phil
07-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Stupid thread.

x Southpaw x
07-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Stupid thread.
*standardized response to flamer* Grow up, shut up and flame elsewhere.

edge
07-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Agassi sucks, he ushered in an era of boring methodical baseline playing. Young Agassi was the memorable one.

Phil
07-14-2005, 07:47 PM
*standardized response to flamer* Grow up, shut up and flame elsewhere.

All you've done is flame since you've come on this board, what, three days and 2,000 posts later? I Fart in your general direcshion-you have nothing to say.

x Southpaw x
07-14-2005, 07:49 PM
All you've done is flame since you've come on this board, what, three days and 2,000 posts later? I Fart in your general direcshion-you have nothing to say.
For the sake of everyone, I ask you one more time on this thread to shut up and take your flaming elsewhere.

joesixtoe
07-14-2005, 11:56 PM
well agassi did beat him one time, and that was on agassi's best surface,, so 1 out of 5 times against the best player ever,, isnt so bad...

jukka1970
07-15-2005, 12:00 AM
What ifs certainly can be applied to just about every situation. What if Navratilova had won her 7th in a row, would she be playing now. If Seles hadn't be stabbed would graf have won at least 4 times on each surface. The beauty of what ifs is that there is no answer to them, because no one knows what would have happened.

But I will give you something to think about since you asked the question. After his losses and not sure he would continue playing, Agassi decided to rededicate himself. He played with the players that are one step below pro, to regain a ranking, and after doing this he won another slam. So my own guess is, had he won those titles, chances are he wouldn't have gone through the rededicating, would not have reestablished his ranking, and probably would not have won a slam this late in life. But again, it still falls under what if. But I will say that I was glad to see this thread for one thing. So that we can admire what Agassi did to return to pro tennis, and rededication.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Another interesting thought, if Seles was not stabbed and Graf had won far less at the AO, FO, and U.S open; but kept winning at Wimbledon where Seles was always vurnerable, would the 94 draw have been different with Seles at #1 and would Graf have won Wimbledon rather than losing in a big upset to red-hot SV player McNeil in the 1st round; would she then have had 8 Wimbledons rather than 7 after 97? With 8 Wimbledons, and any other records out of reach because Seles was limiting her wins on other surfaces, would Graf have been hungier to win at Wimbledon 98 and 99 than she was, and gotten a tieing 9th, and then played an extra year to win a 10th and break Martina's record?

federerhoogenbandfan
07-15-2005, 07:45 AM
well agassi did beat him one time, and that was on agassi's best surface,, so 1 out of 5 times against the best player ever,, isnt so bad...

Interestingly their overall head to head in Grand Slams is 6-3 for Sampras. Agassi won all 3 meetings at the Aussie Open and French Open; Sampras all 6 at Wimbledon and the U.S open. I think Agassi was a bit unlucky, with regards to head to head, to have not played Sampras more often at the two slams that favor him in the matchup with Sampras.

Rabbit
07-15-2005, 11:16 AM
If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their butts.

Rickson
07-16-2005, 05:21 AM
Hey, uh yeah this may be a stupid question, but what does calling federer and sampras GOAT mean?
These guys like to eat goat meat so they are known as GOAT by many fans.