PDA

View Full Version : Donald Young at RCA

TEAMRAFA
07-14-2005, 12:56 PM
How well do you think Young will do at the RCA Championships in Indianapolis next week?

Fee
07-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Donald Young is a boy playing a man's game. These wildcards need to stop until he can actually win 3 consecutive matches at the Futures level, or earn his way into the draw by qualifying. None of this is helping to develop his game and his 'team' is putting his long-term career in danger for some cash and a few moments of attention. They will have no one to blame but themselves if he burns out before he's old enough to drink (or vote even).

Jonas
07-14-2005, 02:09 PM
I agree and dis-agree with Fee. I agree that he needs to play more smaller events and win some matches. No one likes to lose all the time. However, I think the Wild-cards should keep coming and as long as they are I think he should take advantage of a SELECTED number of them. I'm sure his parents are nice people, but in the best interest off DY's game I think they should let the USTA hook them up with a really good coach (maybe even Jose Higueras)
I have seen DY play and I can tell you that this kid is going to be AWESOME. Once his body developes and he gains some strength(with age) he is going to be really tough (think a left-handed Gasquet, that moves better) He's got a complete now at age 15 and it usually takes someone with a complete game a little longer to develope, just like Gasquet. I am looking forward to seeing him solidly in the top 100 in the next couple of years.

Jonas
07-14-2005, 02:12 PM
By the way, what's the word on his frames? I saw him with what looked like an off-the shelf lm prestige mid-plus, but then at the french with an FP instinct. I'm sure head's painting his frames, but what's he really using, or is it just a tottaly custom frame?

sedwickdotcom
07-14-2005, 05:13 PM
He will WIN!!! ....................... j/k ......... he does need to earn his spots at the tournaments if he ever plans on getting any sense of achievement on the pro tour

jeebeesus
07-14-2005, 06:02 PM
he`s getting to hit with higher level players, get his weakness exposed to be fixed later and he`s getting paid for it. i think he`s wise. Go Donald Go!!!!

Fee
07-14-2005, 08:08 PM
He's wise? Do you really think any of this is his choice?

friedalo1
07-14-2005, 09:34 PM
He needs to win some Challengers. Losing to top ten players is good practice. Good luck to Donald Young.

Lefty Spin
07-14-2005, 10:54 PM
I hope Donald gets a good draw and can win his first round match. Whatever the result, I think he will learn something that can help his game in the future.

Regarding his racquets, I can only speak to what he used in the past while he lived here in the Chicago area. When he was about 12-13 years old, he was actually using an unmodified i.tour. Last year during the spring and summer he was using the liquidmetal radical tour. I'm pretty sure it was the tour version, because his racquets felt a little heavier than the standard version. As of the fall and early 2005, I was told he was using the liquidmetal prestige. Ironically, some of the local juniors have told me the liquidmetal radical tour and prestige racquets are very similar. A good junior from Wisconsin, Timothy Smyzck, uses the Prestige, and he and Donald seem to be holding down the fort for Head in this area. Because of their local connections, based in Chicago, Wilson has always had a strong influence with the local juniors here. I haven't seen Donald play in a while so I can't speak on what he's using now.

Fee
07-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Donald's chances just increased by about 50%, he drew Jan-Michael in the first round (winner to play Dent).

Jan-Mike hasn't won an ATP match since -this is going to hurt- Memphis in late February (won a Challenger match in April, then he won 2 qualie matches at Wimbledon, had to retire from the 3rd one with leg pain). This could be ugly...

goober
07-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Donald's chances just increased by about 50%, he drew Jan-Michael in the first round (winner to play Dent).

Jan-Mike hasn't won an ATP match since -this is going to hurt- Memphis in late February (won a Challenger match in April, then he won 2 qualie matches at Wimbledon, had to retire from the 3rd one with leg pain). This could be ugly...

Yah but considering some of the other players that Young has lost to I would still say he is an underdog. Still it is a great draw for him. He still hasn't had to play anybody in the top 50 has he?

krnboijunsung
07-16-2005, 05:05 PM
He still can't consistently win against his peers.

Grinder
07-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Jan Michael Gambill is joke now, I hope he either pulls out if he's not healthy or doesn't make a fool of himself and lose to 15 or 16 year old.

Max G.
07-16-2005, 09:13 PM
He still can't consistently win against his peers.

I'm pretty sure he can. He just doesn't play with his "peers" anymore - even when in the juniors, he's playing guys about 2 years more developed than him.

I suppose that I could be proven wrong if over the past year or so, his record in the 16-and-unders has been less than stellar. (Or I could be proven wrong if 18-and-under could be considered his peers - but from what little I know of the way people grow, there's an awful lot of physical development that goes on between 15 and 18)

ChiefAce
07-17-2005, 10:18 AM
I hope Donald gets a good draw and can win his first round match. Whatever the result, I think he will learn something that can help his game in the future.

Regarding his racquets, I can only speak to what he used in the past while he lived here in the Chicago area. When he was about 12-13 years old, he was actually using an unmodified i.tour. Last year during the spring and summer he was using the liquidmetal radical tour. I'm pretty sure it was the tour version, because his racquets felt a little heavier than the standard version. As of the fall and early 2005, I was told he was using the liquidmetal prestige. Ironically, some of the local juniors have told me the liquidmetal radical tour and prestige racquets are very similar. A good junior from Wisconsin, Timothy Smyzck, uses the Prestige, and he and Donald seem to be holding down the fort for Head in this area. Because of their local connections, based in Chicago, Wilson has always had a strong influence with the local juniors here. I haven't seen Donald play in a while so I can't speak on what he's using now.

Tim Smyczek is using a paint job Head Pro Tour 280 leaded up.

JonWood
07-18-2005, 02:54 PM
I went up to the tennis center Friday to see and talk to him. (Ive played out of that tennis center that his parents run now for years and I have worked there 5 years and hit with him and drilled with him) He was testing the instinct FP out at the french and i asked him how he liked it when i talked to him when he was in france and he said he hates it and is giving it up when he comes back from france. now he i using the paintjob custom racket looks like a cross between a prestige and radical with the long prestige guard but with the radical paintjob. he left the next day andi havent talked to him yet but im sure i will in the next few days

Tennis_baller
07-18-2005, 03:45 PM
When is this tourny he's playing in?

Fee
07-18-2005, 09:06 PM
this week. www.rcatennis.com. Young's chances just improved again since JMG is stuck playing a doubles match right now (11 pm Idianapolis time) and the singles match has been scheduled for Tuesday at 1:30 pm. On the other hand, Young has a sore wrist and requested a Wednesday start, so he may not be completely healthy.

tennisadict
07-18-2005, 11:06 PM
he will loose 1st round, the only sure bet at Vegas

GRANITECHIEF
07-19-2005, 09:29 AM
My guess is that Gambill will pummel him. I would like to see Donald get a win though. Hopefully he'll get a good draw in a future tourney, like an older clay courter on a quick hardcourt.

counterpunch
07-19-2005, 12:14 PM
i dont know, gambill is a pretty good draw, hes not gonna get much better, and yes he will lose

Kevin Patrick
07-19-2005, 01:43 PM
1st set to Gambill, 7-6(12-10) up 5-2 in the 2nd.

incredholt
07-19-2005, 01:52 PM
and it's over 6 & 2

RacquetDoctor
07-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Gambil is actually in a tight one with the kid...JMG won the first in a TB.

RacquetDoctor
07-19-2005, 01:57 PM
DY caved in the second.. JMG 7-6, 6-2

TwistServe
07-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Young loses, yet again!!!!!!! hahah what is all this hype about the kid?

Jonas
07-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Was this on the Tennis Channel or are you all just looking at live scoring?

Babblelot
07-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Young loses, yet again!!!!!!! hahah what is all this hype about the kid?
Turning pro at age 15...just a guess.

Fee
07-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Live scoring. there was a guy at mens tennis forums who had a radio broadcast and was giving descriptions. Looks like Young petered out in the end, could be the wrist. JMG's serving stats were bad until he got the 3 aces in the last game (1o aces, 9 df's total). It was ugly, but I'll take it. He plays Taylor tomorrow, then has to get on court with Taylor as his doubles partner a few hours later.

prostaff1
07-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Why do so many people want to see Donald Young fail? He will only be 16 in a about week. He is competing at THE highest level possible. Maybe he should play challenger events as well ATP events, but if you look at Andy Murray, his ATP record is barely better than .500- and he is several years older. If in several years, after he is more mature physically and has more experience- if he still loses, then by all means bash him. But maybe give him a chance, no? It's good to have Americans to root for, I feel.

RacquetDoctor
07-19-2005, 02:43 PM
scary thing is that he is 0-6 this year, has earned 21k + whatever for the gift at the RCAs...

All of his prize money are gifts: wild cards in each, out in the 1st.
ATP Events:
HOUSTON
INDIAN WELLS
MIAMI
SAN JOSE
SCOTTSDALE
RCA....

Made 0 main draw events in the challengers....
Made it to the qtrs in the Vero Beach F9 Futures event. basically a 3rd round loss.

He's played one futures event, not sure how many challenger qualifying, but some of those had to be WCs also....He has a current ranking of 620, but it is extremely inflated. I don't think that he'd make 1300 in the rankings without all the hand outs.

...too young to be playing with the men in my opinion. Has big talent, but in the end may just fizzle due to over exposure...

hope I'm wrong...

atatu
07-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Agree with Profstaff, the kid should take as many wildcards as he can get, it's all about getting experience. Yes, he should play challengers, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking these wildcards to test his game. For the genius that said Young can't beat his peers, how many fifteen year olds boys have won the Australian Open juniors ?

Fee
07-19-2005, 02:45 PM
The problem with Donald Young is that he is in the wrong place. I don't want to see him fail at all, but I fear his team is leading him on a destructive path towards sure burnout. He needs to get off the ATP tour and go back to Junior events or the Futures circuit to get consistent wins and develop his game. He is being treated like a sideshow so that a few people can make a few bucks. He has potential and talent, but that does not mean he should be playing on the tour AT THIS TIME. I agree that it is good to have up and coming players to root for, but who will we root for if he's spent by the time he's old enough to vote? {Well, other than Scoville Jenkins, who is doing it the right way, in my opinion}.

Max G.
07-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Yeah... I think that he needs to tone it down to the challenger level at least.

I agree that playing against the pros is a good experience and etcetera and etcetera. But at this stage in his career, it would be much better for him to get the experience without the hype - and if he were to get wildcards into challenger events instead of ATP-level events, he'd get just that. He'd get the same caliber opponents that he's getting now, but he'd be spared the hype.

Now, there certainly IS plenty to hype about the kid. World #1 junior at age 15 is pretty impressive, considering he's competing against guys up to two-three years older than him, which is pretty significant for a teenager. But if he keeps going at this pace, he may turn out to be another Tommy Ho.

Kirko
07-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Young is a trail blazer not a follower, its very hard what he and his Mother have chosen for him, but he will be the better for it. The challenger are for guys on the "slippery slope" to no where, that ain't DY's style.

RacquetDoctor
07-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Fact is that DY has played a number of qualies at challengers and been embarrassed by the 'slippery slope' to nowhere people. I watched him in person last year play a guy named dusan vemic...he made him look like what he is....still a boy.

Hope he can keep a positive attitude...

fastdunn
07-19-2005, 05:17 PM
How tall is this kid ? ATP tennis web site listed him at 5'9".
I hope he is still growing....

Marius_Hancu
07-19-2005, 05:20 PM
How tall is this kid ? ATP tennis web site listed him at 5'9".
I hope he is still growing....

very important point.
also, the poll is pointless, we know the result (spoiler).

andfor
07-19-2005, 05:22 PM
I won't post the result but you can go see for yourself what happend. (spoiler)

http://www.rcatennis.com/sections/Media/media.html

No matter who wins that match it's a bad loss for the other guy!

atatu
07-20-2005, 07:44 AM
Why does it matter how tall he is ? How tall is Hewitt ? Agassi ?

TennisD
07-20-2005, 07:46 AM
It's a bit lame that Young is getting all these WC's. Sorry, but it has to be said. I know plenty of guys that should be getting WC's before him....

I mean, he's not even doing anything with them! He's just losing and raking up the prize cash...and points, as well...

Babblelot
07-20-2005, 08:36 AM
It's a bit lame that Young is getting all these WC's. Sorry, but it has to be said. I know plenty of guys that should be getting WC's before him....

I mean, he's not even doing anything with them! He's just losing and raking up the prize cash...and points, as well...
At this point, he's to men's tennis as Michelle Wie is to women's golf. Like I said in another thread, Mirka is a motherload.

Max G.
07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
The challenger are for guys on the "slippery slope" to no where, that ain't DY's style.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't just about every top player played challengers (and done well) at the beginning of their career?

counterpunch
07-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't just about every top player played challengers (and done well) at the beginning of their career?

Well most players arent playing professionally at 15 or 16. While most do well they are usually 17-18 before they start any kinda of pro tournaments.

TennisD
07-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Young is a trail blazer not a follower, its very hard what he and his Mother have chosen for him, but he will be the better for it. The challenger are for guys on the "slippery slope" to no where, that ain't DY's style.
The end of your statement was the dumbest thing I've heard in a while...

jeebeesus
07-20-2005, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE=TennisD]It's a bit lame that Young is getting all these WC's. Sorry, but it has to be said. I know plenty of guys that should be getting WC's before him....

It`s just the USTA helping out their young uns. Nothing wrong with that.I suppose if there were others ready to take the plunge the org will be there for them.All they need to to is ask i guess.

Fee
07-20-2005, 11:33 PM
It is NOT the USTA handing out these WC's to Donald Young. The USTA only controls the WC's for the US Open, and possibly the Houston Clay Courts. It had no hand in San Jose, Scottsdale, Indy, or the Masters as those are owned by other entities. IMG (his agent) is largely to blame for this, along with the Tournament Directors who think they can make an extra dollar or two from this sideshow.

Rob_C
07-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Fact is that DY has played a number of qualies at challengers and been embarrassed by the 'slippery slope' to nowhere people. I watched him in person last year play a guy named dusan vemic...he made him look like what he is....still a boy.

Hope he can keep a positive attitude...

I just checked some of his results. That match he lost to Vemic was in three sets, whats horrible about losing in 3 sets?? Also, he is still playing junior events, he played the clay court jr circuit in Europe b4 the French, plus Wimbledon. He'll continue to play jrs till he goes pro full time, plus he does have wins at the tour level, just not main draw. He got to the last rd of qualies at the Los Angeles Mercedes Benz Open, lost in three sets there, plus he beat Jaime Delgado at a futures earlier this year. Delgado is like top 250 right now.

ibemadskillzz
07-21-2005, 03:28 PM
he is weak

Max G.
07-21-2005, 04:49 PM
he is weak

Well, probably. He's what, 15? 16? Of course he's weak compared to 20-year-old guys. He'll catch up in strength within the next 3-4 years.

jeebeesus
07-21-2005, 04:56 PM
cmon guys give the lil fella a break will u, he`s 15 and he`s playing 3 sets with adult pros.sheeeesh...

TEAMRAFA
07-22-2005, 09:38 AM
and christ, he's all us americans got coming up!

andfor
07-22-2005, 01:40 PM
and christ, he's all us americans got coming up!

The USA has the current #1, 10, 13, 14 and 18 along with another 12 junior US boys in the top 100. Easy now everyone, let's not go "chicken little" on the whole "american tennis is doomed" rant................

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/rankings/index.asp

apothnyc
07-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Just to add a little to this ----I was at the opening day of the US Open last year and saw DY hitting on a practice court with Jen Capriati. Though they did not play points they both appeared to be "hitting full out" on all shots. Well...Young looked like a little 9 year old boy next to a beast like Jenny Cap....and kinda looked as is he was being over-powered in the rallies. I am not saying that he couldn't beat her---but it certainly gave me some perspective on what excessive hype surrounds this poor kid. Incidently, Jens groundstrokes up close are possibly the "cleanest" that i have ever seen...

big ted
07-22-2005, 11:10 PM
The USA has the current #1, 10, 13, 14 and 18 along with another 12 junior US boys in the top 100. Easy now everyone, let's not go "chicken little" on the whole "american tennis is doomed" rant................

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/rankings/index.asp

thats interesting if u look at old itf junior rankings and gs winners from earlier years not many become champions on the adult pro tour (seems less then half). mabye becuz to be a junior champion not missing a ball is key but on the adult pro tour its hitting heavy balls/winners

Marius_Hancu
07-23-2005, 03:43 AM
Just to add a little to this ----I was at the opening day of the US Open last year and saw DY hitting on a practice court with Jen Capriati. Though they did not play points they both appeared to be "hitting full out" on all shots. Well...Young looked like a little 9 year old boy next to a beast like Jenny Cap....and kinda looked as is he was being over-powered in the rallies. I am not saying that he couldn't beat her---but it certainly gave me some perspective on what excessive hype surrounds this poor kid. Incidently, Jens groundstrokes up close are possibly the "cleanest" that i have ever seen...

thanks for this interesting memento.
JCap hits a very heavy ball indeed.

equinox
07-23-2005, 05:15 AM
thats interesting if u look at old itf junior rankings and gs winners from earlier years not many become champions on the adult pro tour (seems less then half). mabye becuz to be a junior champion not missing a ball is key but on the adult pro tour its hitting heavy balls/winners
ITF compiled statistics were that 4 out of the top 10 ITF juniors would become top 100 players.

tennis4losers
07-23-2005, 11:49 AM
dang 4 out of the TOP 10????? man thats tough.

callitout
07-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by big ted

The reason most junior GS winners dont become champions has more to do with math than tennis. Every year or two there is a new #1 junior, because you age out of juniors soon after you start playing. On the adult tour a Sampras or Federer can hold the top post until he retires or someone better comes along. Therefore there are far too many former junior GS winners for a majority of them to go on to become ATP GS champions. The converse question is more interesting: How many ATP GS champions were top juniors. The answer is virtually all of them. Not every one, but most were very good juniors. Examples often cited of less renowned junior careers like Sampras are confounded by the fact that the best juniors often turn pro before they can truly dominate the ITF world. Pete Sampras won the main draw USO at age 19, he wouldve had a good chance to the same in the junior draw a year earlier but instead he was struggling on the ATP tour. Agassi and Nadal both became #3 in the world by age 17 so clearly they shortened what would otherwise have been championship junior careers.

andfor
07-23-2005, 05:30 PM
The rules for playing juniors and pro at the same time may be different now than in the days of Sampras and Agassi. Nadal could have tried to dominate the juniors while playing the pro tour at the same time. He chose not to. Donald Young on the other-hand is the #1 junior in the world at age 15. How many have made it so high at such a young age? Therefore his forays into the pro ranks are a lttle different than the avg. worldclass junior who's normally 17 or 18. There's a lot of arm chair quarterbacks saying he's doing this wrong, his parents are doing that wrong. Who here really knows what it's like to be 15 and the #1 junior tennis player in the world? Make your predictions about DY. If you pick for him to be a sucess on the pro tour I think that would be a good bet. Now this is where it gets tricky. Is sucess defined by titles or how much money you make? In my world it's about inner-peace and money.

callitout
07-23-2005, 05:49 PM
good point about inner peace and money being the crucial components of success. So long as we assign a value of 0 to inner peace and 100 to money I wholeheartedly agree. Life is so complex.
Kidding aside, I aint saying DY wont be a good pro probably will be just we shouldnt be surprised that not every junior champ or #1 ends up #1 in the pros. There are some that truly fizzle, like Al Parker (infamous only for not having made it), but most former junior champs have more than a cup of coffee on the ATP tour but wont dominate the game cuz at most 3 players can do that in a 10 year stretch.