PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a good cross to prevent string movement in Gut Hybrid?

monologuist
07-14-2005, 04:14 PM
I love using Gosen OG Micro as a cross with Gut mains, but the gut moves around a bit much. What are some good strings to use for a cross with Gut to keep string movement to a minimum while attempting to retain the playability and feel of Gut? Please also suggest whether to use the suggested cross at the same tension as the Gut or otherwise.

pyro2990
07-14-2005, 04:21 PM
just use a full gut setup. using gut mains with any other cross will have the crosses saw through ur expensive gut and give way to premature breakage. if money is no issue, go for luxilon, preferably alu power rough. that really keeps the gut in place.

nattawut
07-14-2005, 07:04 PM
luxilon alu in the cross helps prevent the gut from moving

mattm
07-14-2005, 08:17 PM
luxilon alu in the cross helps prevent the gut from moving

I'd have to agree. I recently strung my pk 5g with this set-up, mains and crosses @ 58lbs. The mains just do not move, period. I hit with a lot of topspin, and they just don't move. I love the feel as well, but I only have limited experience with different string set-ups. BTW, I've logged close to 30 hours on these strings and, while they are starting to fray, no sawing action that I can discern. I don't see how they could saw through the gut mains since the mains seem totally stuck in the notches of the alu crosses.

Definitely worth a try IMO.

friedalo1
07-14-2005, 08:41 PM
I use Lux or Babolat 18 for crosses with gut.

monologuist
07-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Do you guys feel that using something like ALU in the crosses with gut :
A. Takes away significantly from the power of the gut?
B. Takes away significantly from the feel and comfort of the gut?

tedmeister
07-15-2005, 12:14 AM
Do you guys feel that using something like ALU in the crosses with gut :
A. Takes away significantly from the power of the gut?
B. Takes away significantly from the feel and comfort of the gut?
B. One trades in most of the shock absorbing qualities of gut for the extra consistency that the poly cross brings to the table. Power loss is not very significant as long as one doesn't take all the stretch out of the poly by stringing really tight. Also, the poly has to be a powerful one like alu rough, Supersmash, Zo life...