PDA

View Full Version : Where was this Roger during the slams and the rest of the season?

jackson vile
11-27-2011, 04:59 PM
I have to wonder why Federer always does so well at the end of the season almost every year?

Is Federer just so much more amazing at the end of the season?
or
Is the competition taking it easy, which allows Federer to win more and easier?

If neither, then where was he during the rest of the season?

Bartelby
11-27-2011, 05:01 PM
He likes a roof over his head and he took a good break before the final surge, like a good General.

Spider
11-27-2011, 05:02 PM
The way I see, it was Djokovic in superb form that stopped Federer twice in slams, and Nadal as usual at RG. Tsonga was the only surprise for me (and two of the slam loses was in five sets).

If they cannot maintain that level (i.e. Nadal, Djokovic), Federer is still good enough to beat them and the rest. As much as it pains me to say it, Federer still has a great game to beat almost everyone.

dudeski
11-27-2011, 05:02 PM
I have to wonder why Federer always does so well at the end of the season almost every year?

or

So 30 year old Federer who played 76 matches this year is somehow immune from being tired like rest of the 5 or 6 year younger guys in their prime? Or maybe he just got unlucky at the slams.

Mike Sams
11-27-2011, 05:03 PM

or

He was busy beating up Djokovic so that Rafa could secure his beloved Roland Garros trophy. Then Federer beat up Djokovic some more at the USO, dragging him to 5 sets and trying to tire him out so that Federer's buddy Rafa could have a better chance of getting revenge on Djokovic and winning the USO.
Too bad it didn't work out:(

Babblelot
11-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Roger could easily have won the US Open. He just choked after one point didn't go his way. That was likely the difference between another loss to Djokovic and his 6th USO title.

jerriy
11-27-2011, 05:06 PM

or

If neither, then where was he during the rest of the season?Why is Nadal no loger improving?

Why was he mediocre/stagnant all year long outside clay?

Is the hard/grass competition getting too tough for Rafa?

Is he a one-surface wonder?

Mike Sams
11-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Let's also give credit to Tsonga. He played 79 matches in 2011 and was still in great form to the very end and pushed Federer hard. Tsonga finished a whole season in good shape. No injuries. Good for him going into 2012. He jumped a hell of a lot in the rankings to even get into the World Tour Finals in the first place.

decades
11-27-2011, 05:08 PM
simple. roger is still the top 2-3 match player today even at 30. 3-5 is a whole different ball game. I really think he will struggle at slams from now on post quarter final.

Mike Sams
11-27-2011, 05:10 PM
simple. roger is still the top 2-3 match player today even at 30. 3-5 is a whole different ball game. I really think he will struggle at slams from now on post quarter final.

Well what do you expect? The real tournament begins after the Quarters in the Slams. The first week is just preparation really.

NadalAgassi
11-27-2011, 05:10 PM
One factor is probably best 3 out of 5. Harder for an older player. He also benefits that his economical style keeps him fresh at the end of the season, while many of the more physical taxing guys are spent by then. Indoors also suits his game more than the slower conditions of many other courts.

decades
11-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Well what do you expect? The real tournament begins after the Quarters in the Slams. The first week is just preparation really.

you misunderstand. I am saying 3-5 is a different story for rogi now that he is 30. that is why he is cleaning up in these 2-3 late year tournaments when other players have lost interest.

Zildite
11-27-2011, 05:15 PM
He didn't even make a Masters final this year until Paris and stopped a long title drought by winning Basel. I think the indoor aspect must be significant.

accidental
11-27-2011, 05:21 PM
GOAT = Novak > Fedal

SirGounder
11-27-2011, 06:22 PM
It's a combination of factors. He wasn't able to train before the season like he normally does, meaning it took him time to get into playing shape/form.

Djokovic had a ridiculous season and was playing amazing tennis.

Nadal at Roland Garros, nothing to really say about that.

Fed loves the indoor tournaments, always has.

He was close at the US Open, but choked like mentioned above.

In the end, he comes out with some momentum for 2012 and hopefully a lot of confidence. He also has no nagging injuries to worry about.

mistik
11-27-2011, 06:28 PM
It's a combination of factors. He wasn't able to train before the season like he normally does, meaning it took him time to get into playing shape/form.

Djokovic had a ridiculous season and was playing amazing tennis.

Nadal at Roland Garros, nothing to really say about that.

Fed loves the indoor tournaments, always has.

He was close at the US Open, but choked like mentioned above.

In the end, he comes out with some momentum for 2012 and hopefully a lot of confidence. He also has no nagging injuries to worry about.

He was close to reaching finals Us Open,he would have lost to Nadal outdoors anyway.

Xizel
11-27-2011, 06:58 PM
This Roder WAS here during Slams. He gets a set or two, proceeds to match point, then choke it away to Tsonga and Djokovic. Fortunately, he caught Tsonga this time. Djokovic... ah!!!

ViscaB
11-27-2011, 07:00 PM
You can only be as good as your opponents make you look. The opponents are all tired.

mandy01
11-27-2011, 07:07 PM
He was tired and injured a bit more than Nadal was.

dh003i
11-27-2011, 07:08 PM
you misunderstand. I am saying 3-5 is a different story for rogi now that he is 30. that is why he is cleaning up in these 2-3 late year tournaments when other players have lost interest.

BS. Lost interest? Nonsense, his is the World Tour Finals and the 5th most prestigious event in tennis. The anti-Federer folks keep saying everyone else is "tired" or "hurt". After so much rest, this is ridiculous. Somehow, old-man Federer is more fit than guys 5+ years younger than him and doesn't have problems at the end of the tennis season, but these young guys aren't fit enough to do well.

If that is the case, it is a demerit to them. And it certainly shows Federer is fit enough to win more Major's, seeing as how the guys who won them this year obviously weren't fit enough to play an entire season of tennis at a high level.

dh003i
11-27-2011, 07:09 PM
btw, Tsonga's great form after a long season for him as well is a reason why I think that if he ever gets his head together and gets a coach, he can be a great player capable of sustained excellence without major burnout.

Docalex007
11-27-2011, 07:10 PM
LOL @ all the *******s in this thread unwilling to accept Federer for what he is... the best.

Sentinel
11-27-2011, 07:17 PM
He was tired and injured a bit more than Nadal was.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqre5y6OV01qftdi9o1_250.gif

High five to you, mandy !

Netzroller
11-27-2011, 07:31 PM
So 30 year old Federer who played 76 matches this year is somehow immune from being tired like rest of the 5 or 6 year younger guys in their prime? Or maybe he just got unlucky at the slams.
Whatever it was, he was obviously fresher than the other top guys, right? Part of the equation is his elegant non grinding style that has always allowed him to be incredibly consistent.
Nadal was physically fit I think but mentally not quite there. Djokovic seemed to have trouble in both departments and Murray was injured.
And as others have pointed out, the conditions suit him perfectly (those other guys not so much).

Roger could easily have won the US Open. He just choked after one point didn't go his way. That was likely the difference between another loss to Djokovic and his 6th USO title.

You do know that this was not the final? I don't think it's a fact that he would have beaten Nadal...

LOL @ all the *******s in this thread unwilling to accept Federer for what he is... the best.
Imo he is the best, but not this year.

dh003i
11-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Whatever it was, he was obviously fresher than the other top guys, right? Part of the equation is his elegant non grinding style that has always allowed him to be incredibly consistent.
Nadal was physically fit I think but mentally not quite there. Djokovic seemed to have trouble in both departments and Murray was injured.
And as others have pointed out, the conditions suit him perfectly (those other guys not so much).

Correct...and whatever the reason, it is a credit to Federer and a weakness / demerit to Djokovic, Nadal, and Murray that they just aren't fit enough to maintain great form throughout the season. I see this as a failure.

Babblelot
11-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Whatever it was, he was obviously fresher than
You do know that this was not the final? I don't think it's a fact that he would have beaten Nadal...

OK, I'm happy for you.

Roger had match points to get to Nadal. He likely could have won the Open.

Agassifan
11-27-2011, 08:51 PM
*******s should not feel too badly because Nadal is the best on CLAY. At least he has that! :wink:

Not in 2011

ViscaB
11-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Not in 2011

If you are the holder of RG you are the best on clay. And don't get started on the fact that Djokovic didn't make it. If he were the best on clay he would have been able to make the final.

dr325i
11-27-2011, 09:04 PM
BS. Lost interest? Nonsense, his is the World Tour Finals and the 5th most prestigious event in tennis. The anti-Federer folks keep saying everyone else is "tired" or "hurt". After so much rest, this is ridiculous. Somehow, old-man Federer is more fit than guys 5+ years younger than him and doesn't have problems at the end of the tennis season, but these young guys aren't fit enough to do well.

ALL that you said above is purely your opinion with absolutely NO facts.
This WTF is just a glorified exibition, limited to the top 8 and makes probably more money to the tournament organizers than the Slam. It is NOT "the 5th most prestigious event in tennis".

Physically, the other players (Nadal, Novak...) may have not been spent, but mentally they obviosly were.

Roger won 3x less tournaments than Novak this year, it is logical to be less tired -- he won them all since the USO...

We will see what happens when the SEASON starts at the AO...

devila
11-27-2011, 09:20 PM
fed was supposedly the goat in 2009, but the crying sore loser lost to nadal and del potro. fed was very lucky with a vastly inferior athlete opponent in this decade in the slams and year end championships every year since 2003.
if nadal and djoker had no brains, they would have winded up like
safin, nalbandian and roddick. arrogant fed would have at least 80-90 titles if djoker, nadal, murray, tsonga and del potro were wimpy fat slobs like roddick.

Kaz00
11-27-2011, 09:26 PM
It's all a setup. Because Federer knows that next season Djokovic and Nadal have a lot of points to make up. While Federer has a lot to pick up. Federer will go on to win all 5 slams next season.

Love all
11-27-2011, 09:26 PM
I think Federer manages his schedule very well, and understands his body very well.

devila
11-27-2011, 09:39 PM
This WTF is just a glorified exibition, limited to the top 8 and makes probably more money to the tournament organizers than the Slam. It is NOT "the 5th most prestigious event in tennis".

Physically, the other players (Nadal, Novak...) may have not been spent, but mentally they obviosly were.

Roger won 3x less tournaments than Novak this year, it is logical to be less tired -- he won them all since the USO...

federina rarely played davis cup, but in his usual sneaky idiotic, slimey snake way, federer found a way to whine about his tiredness after an injured djoker humiliated him.
djoker never cried after losing to an exhausted nadal, unlike poor loser fed...

if federer had been a selfless, gracious davis cup player, he would be less lucky in the slams. look what happened to djoker, nadal and to a lesser extent. roddick... fed has always feared losing at least a slam or masters title after getting tired in davis cup ties.

dh003i
11-27-2011, 09:45 PM

Actually, it is a fact, not my opinion. Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray have not been consistently great, as Federer was in his prime, and are now not able to match 30-year-old-man Federer at the end of a season. They haven't played more tennis than him, so they have no excuse. If you want to shift it off to "mentally tired", you just shift the area of failure.

Dark Victory
11-27-2011, 09:51 PM
He likes a roof over his head and he took a good break before the final surge, like a good General.
I've a suspicion Federer has the same feeling of ease and comfort about indoor events the same way Sampras used to have. And like he said in his book, a huge part of it is psychological.

The smaller, more enclosed and confined the playing area is, the faster the court seems to play.

It's not like at a grandslam where the arenas are vast and the ends of the court look faraway. Also, outdoors, there are lotsa things out of your control (wind, noise, lighting conditions, etc).

namelessone
11-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Actually, it is a fact, not my opinion. Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray have not been consistently great, as Federer was in his prime, and are now not able to match 30-year-old-man Federer at the end of a season. They haven't played more tennis than him, so they have no excuse. If you want to shift it off to "mentally tired", you just shift the area of failure.

NaDjorray have problems at the end of the season because of their games, which are pretty physical. Plus the 30 year old man plays ballet tennis(hell, most of his physical problems had more to do with his immune system than with his game) that is easy on the body and being past his prime, he only peaks for the big ones whereas the young'uns have to care about ranking and such and have to beat themselves up each week.

Fed didn't make one masters final till Paris if I am not mistaken yet he had a pretty good slam season(for a player past his prime).

Djoko made 7 MS finals, 11 finals overall.
Nadal made 6 MS finals, 8 overall.

It's only natural that they should arrive more beat up at the end of the year.

devila
11-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Just ignore the bitter troll...he's just denigrating Roger b/c he won the WTF.

I don't see any Fed fan create such thread - "Where was Nadal during the indoor season".

when roddick, hewitt and old agassi flaked out in the weak era, it was easy for federina. there were no dark and windy conditions or evil fake djoker and djoker fans and family bothering poor gentleman fed.

jerriy
11-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Actually, it is a fact, not my opinion. Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray have not been consistently great, as Federer was in his prime.Never been.

This IS their "norm". They won't get more consistent than they are now. They are not good enough for that. So whoever beats them has beaten them fair and square. Which in turn means that OP Jackson_Vile's entire premise of this thread is dog-mess-crappy nonsense

sbengte
11-28-2011, 01:10 AM
He was tired and injured and old a bit more than Nadal was and had kids who kept him up at night before important matches.

Fixed it :D

zagor
11-28-2011, 01:14 AM
You can only be as good as your opponents make you look. The opponents are all tired.

Yes, that's the way Nadal won USO last year for example, his tired opponents(almost every player he faced played a 5 setter the round before) made him look better than he really is, peak Novak exposed him this year though.

Ralph
11-28-2011, 02:18 AM
The way I see, it was Djokovic in superb form that stopped Federer twice in slams, and Nadal as usual at RG. Tsonga was the only surprise for me (and two of the slam loses was in five sets).

If they cannot maintain that level (i.e. Nadal, Djokovic), Federer is still good enough to beat them and the rest. As much as it pains me to say it, Federer still has a great game to beat almost everyone.

Has someone hacked your account???

If not, great post.

stingstang
11-28-2011, 02:43 AM
Fed played solid tennis this week and got the job done but it wasn't amazing or better than any other time this year.

The question is whether Nadal & Djoker will still be spent when the AO comes around. Fed will still destroy the rest of the field.

syc23
11-28-2011, 04:07 AM
if we saw the Djokovic of AO, Wim and USO '11 vintage where he was like a mobile brick wall at WTF, then Novak would be the one lifting the trophy. He look completely disinterested in all 3 matches and was looking like a man with one eye on his vacation.

Let's see which Novak we'll see in 2012. I expect it'll be the one who has owned Roger in 2011.

zagor
11-28-2011, 04:17 AM
if we saw the Djokovic of AO, Wim and USO '11 vintage where he was like a mobile brick wall at WTF, then Novak would be the one lifting the trophy. He look completely disinterested in all 3 matches and was looking like a man with one eye on his vacation.

Maybe.

Let's see which Novak we'll see in 2012. I expect it'll be the one who has owned Roger in 2011.

You mean Fed will be the only player on tour to beat Novak in a slam next year and have MPs against him in another slam?

DjokovicForTheWin
11-28-2011, 05:37 AM
NaDjorray have problems at the end of the season because of their games, which are pretty physical. Plus the 30 year old man plays ballet tennis(hell, most of his physical problems had more to do with his immune system than with his game) that is easy on the body and being past his prime, he only peaks for the big ones whereas the young'uns have to care about ranking and such and have to beat themselves up each week.

This is coming directly out of your asss. There is no scientific evidence for this. You watch Nadal grunt on every point and making wincing faces and assume that is harder on the body. You conveniently forget Nadal is significantly more muscular than Federer. It's not so simple. It's not all about Federer simply being more graceful. Stop making up crap.

cc0509
11-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Are you sure? Didn't Djokovic kick his as$ on clay until Roger swooped in and saved Rafa from a FO final between Nadal and his nemesis?

It does not matter if Djokovic kicked his ***** on clay this year. I am talking about their overall results in their careers and on clay Nadal>Djokovic. How can anybody possibly argue against that?

cc0509
11-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Not in 2011

I wasn't talking about 2011 specifically.

namelessone
11-28-2011, 07:45 AM
This is coming directly out of your asss. There is no scientific evidence for this. You watch Nadal grunt on every point and making wincing faces and assume that is harder on the body. You conveniently forget Nadal is significantly more muscular than Federer. It's not so simple. It's not all about Federer simply being more graceful. Stop making up crap.

What a well thought out post. I don't even know how to answer.

Tell ya what, why don't you create a separate thread with a poll and let's ask all the people here, regardless of who they support, who do they think has the toughest game on the body, Fed/Nadal/Djokovic/Murray?

Then we'll see who is talking out of their ***.

A little birdie told me that Fed will end up last in that poll though I can't imagine why. :)

namelessone
11-28-2011, 07:47 AM
It does not matter if Djokovic kicked his ***** on clay this year. I am talking about their overall results in their careers and on clay Nadal>Djokovic. How can anybody possibly argue against that?

It's simple. That anybody would have to be a Nadal hater.

Djokovic has NO RG FINAL to his name yet he is a better claycourter than Nadal who has won it six times.

LAWL.

Gorecki
11-28-2011, 08:03 AM

or

he was recovering from the stomach muscle injuries caused by laughing at your dumbarseness!!!

sureshs
11-28-2011, 08:06 AM

Yes, it is kind of obvious. Slams are what matter in tennis and that is where Djokovic and Nadal delivered.

angler
11-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Most of us agree that Federer has the easiest game. The way he plays is what makes him great and still keeps him in a form that can add more titles. Nadal, Novak and Murray are all playing in a way that their bodies can't handle throughout the whole year. Plus, Federer is in a position that, after collecting so much records, he can slow down, choose the right moments to play and, especially at the end of such heavy year as 2011 was, he can look so dominant, which in fact he isn't any more.

Even at the end of WTF he was looking as he can't go for much more and it was Jo who just can't handle crucial moments the way he play the rest of the match that is a great part of his victory. Still Federer deserved it.

We just can't predict the level of play of Nadal, Novak and Murray at the AO, but if they can play the way they did for most of 2011, Federer will not have much chances of wining 7 matches 3/5 slam tournaments.

cc0509
11-28-2011, 09:11 AM
It's simple. That anybody would have to be a Nadal hater.
Djokovic has NO RG FINAL to his name yet he is a better claycourter than Nadal who has won it six times.

LAWL.

Even if one were the biggest Nadal hater of all time and dead and buried for 20 years, one would have to concede that Nadal is the superior clay court player. Hello, 6 FO's> 0 FO's not to mention all of Nadal's other clay titles.

cc0509
11-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Yes, it is kind of obvious. Slams are what matter in tennis and that is where Djokovic and Nadal delivered.

Nadal's slam count of 10 + Djokovic's slam count of 4 is still < Federer's 16. That is the only thing that is obvious.

Nextman916
11-28-2011, 09:20 AM

If they cannot maintain that level (i.e. Nadal, Djokovic), Federer is still good enough to beat them and the rest. As much as it pains me to say it, Federer still has the game to beat everyone.

Edited for correctness....also why does it pain people to say it?

Why is it hard to swallow that Federer is just THAT good?

AtomicForehand
11-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Where was this Federer all season? Well, at the WTF he didn't have the three guys ranked ahead of him standing in his way, like he did everywhere else. The draw just opened up for him, and it would have been a gross failure if he HADN'T won.

angler
11-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Nadal's slam count of 10 + Djokovic's slam count of 4 is still < Federer's 16. That is the only thing that is obvious.
Post is out of thread. Here we talk on 2011. Federer has 16 slams, we all know it, your knowledge on tennis is exceptional anyway.

DjokovicForTheWin
11-28-2011, 12:24 PM
What a well thought out post. I don't even know how to answer.

Tell ya what, why don't you create a separate thread with a poll and let's ask all the people here, regardless of who they support, who do they think has the toughest game on the body, Fed/Nadal/Djokovic/Murray?

Then we'll see who is talking out of their ***.

A little birdie told me that Fed will end up last in that poll though I can't imagine why. :)

Toughest game and correlating that to specific injury is an entirely different matter. It is very difficult to establish causality especially in organisms as complex as human beings where many psychological factors also play a role

jackson vile
11-28-2011, 07:32 PM
This Roder WAS here during Slams. He gets a set or two, proceeds to match point, then choke it away to Tsonga and Djokovic. Fortunately, he caught Tsonga this time. Djokovic... ah!!!

You think that he choked all those away, that is an interesting point. However, that would be a heck of a lot of points matches to choke away.

jackson vile
11-28-2011, 07:34 PM

That would go hand in hand with what people are saying, that Federer does best with a weak field?

Agassifan
11-28-2011, 07:36 PM
That would go hand in hand with what people are saying, that Federer does best with a weak field?

Did you even read the thread n00b? He is pretty much untouchable on indoor hard.

Magnetite
11-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Roger was there during the slams, in excellent form. He just got beaten by guys that were playing slightly better than him on those particular days.

He had a few mental lapses that cost him, along with some great play on his opponents' side of the court.

He's also amazing indoors.

dr325i
11-28-2011, 11:17 PM

OK, can you please post those facts for 2011 -- the consistency... I found Djokovic level in 2011 fairly consistent. In fact, I found his last 5 years VERY consistent at #3, except the raise in 2011. Your boy, on the other hand went up and down from 1 to 4 a few times lately, won 0 slams this year, and so on. Yes, he is the Greatest ever, however, everything good comes to an end...

I don't recall the match-up between Djokovic + Murray vs Federer. In fact, the last time they met, your boy went down. What match up you had in mind?

I met with Novak's family 2 weeks ago while visiting Belgrade. His injury is real, and he would much rather be a real contender for the slams in 2012 than winning this exibition tournament in 2011. Of course he could have done it better in London, the calculation was simple for him...

Sentinel
11-29-2011, 12:17 AM
I wish I had a link to that post where Zagor explains to those with duller intellects that when Roger won 3 slams a year, he also won the WTF.

He won 3 slams and played the entire season. Your hero can't do that.

Get a life.

Emet74
11-29-2011, 02:57 AM
Fed got some breathing space to gain confidence when the draw opened up for him in Basel; that helped him mentally enough to overcome some players who beat him earlier in the year like Berdy and Tsonga, he won Paris and finally got some momentum.

His level at the WTF was still not what it was in his prime; if you watch his WTF final performances from 2006 - 2007 and comoare to 2011 there's really no comparison. But it was good enough for the competition this year which says sth about them.

Although he's done well indoors the past couple years, I don't think indoors is some magic potion for him, in previous years if he's out of form he's been out of form indoors as well; remember 2009 when he lost Benneteau in Paris second round ????

Romismak
11-29-2011, 06:30 AM
First of all indoors and best of 3 is better for him then outdoor conditions best of 5. Secondly he was there during slams- and he easily could have won this season slam or two.
AO- lost close match do Nole in form
RG- his best RG form probably ever, in F was break up in 1st set playing great, should have won that 1st set and might won that match, he had more points won after first 3 sets, but was down 2:1
Wimbledon - Was up 2:0, then probably mental aspects, but TSonga was playing high level, serving like god- didnīt remember those numbers but in last 3 sets Tsongaīs numbers on serve were amazing
USO - easily could have been in F- donīt know if he would beat NAdal there, but was playing pretty good whole USO

jackson vile
12-18-2011, 10:54 AM

Interesting points, I was however very surprised Roger stopped Novak at the FO. Perhaps everyone is correct, the players are just finished after USO.

merlinpinpin
12-18-2011, 11:08 AM

Er, yes it is, and by a mile, too. There are the slams, then a big gap, the YEC, then a *huge* gap to the MS and the rest. No question about that, really.

Fate Archer
12-18-2011, 12:30 PM
The masters cup or WTF is where the best meet the best and only the fittest survive, like in every tennis season.

If they can't manage to finish strong there is only themselves, their fragile bodies and their poor schedule decisions to blame.

It's also too bad for their season record, that is hurt with late season showings.

jackson vile
12-18-2011, 01:59 PM
The masters cup or WTF is where the best meet the best and only the fittest survive, like in every tennis season.

If they can't manage to finish strong there is only themselves, their fragile bodies and their poor schedule decisions to blame.

It's also too bad for their season record, that is hurt with late season showings.

Or they would rather win slams and simply don't care as much for the WTF. Also the WTF is poorly scheduled at the end of the season. Olympics does better with this.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Or they would rather win slams and simply don't care as much for the WTF. Also the WTF is poorly scheduled at the end of the season. Olympics does better with this.

How many Olympics did Borg and Sampras win?

Hitman
12-18-2011, 02:16 PM

And when should the season ending finale take place? Between AO and IW perhaps? :confused:

DjokovicForTheWin
12-18-2011, 02:20 PM
And when should the season ending finale take place? Between AO and IW perhaps? :confused:

If the USO were the season ending tourney then the excuses would simply be shifted to players not caring about it since it's the last tourney of the year. Idiots never quit.

MichaelNadal
12-18-2011, 02:22 PM

Yeah there's no better place for the WTF than where it is.

Hitman
12-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Is the USO were the season ending tourney then the excuses would simply be shifted to players not caring about it since it's the last tourney of the year. Idiots never quit.

What's interesting is that it seems that it is some fans of a certain player that say the fall part of the season doesn't mean much...probably because a certain player has only one title in his whole career in that part of the season. Considering the biggest event outside the slams takes places in the fall, there is still much to play for, including valuable ranking points.

jackson vile
12-18-2011, 06:42 PM
If the USO were the season ending tourney then the excuses would simply be shifted to players not caring about it since it's the last tourney of the year. Idiots never quit.

Can't be too important when you are last:razz:

But hey, I don't know how else an old crippled man would win his tournaments then LOL

DjokovicForTheWin
12-18-2011, 07:42 PM

But hey, I don't know how else an old crippled man would win his tournaments then LOL

So if there was one tournament for the year it would be first and last. It's important because it's the only tournament of the year. Yet it's not important because it's the last one of the year. Hmmm, now do you understand why you are so ridiculous?

Polaris
12-18-2011, 07:52 PM

Either you are trolling or you haven't gained much insight due to excessive posting and insufficient understanding of tennis. Assuming the latter, you could think of it as follows:

Yes, he is. He enjoys indoor tennis, it suits his game. Besides, he paces himself better than most people.

The competition is tired. If you can't see it, you're not paying attention. Given them some rest, and they'll all be fine.

See above. The two reasons that (a) Federer is very good indoors (b) The competition sucks at pacing itself physically and/or mentally, are as clear as daylight. Ask yourself why you can't see these obvious reasons.

Sentinel
12-18-2011, 08:55 PM

When he was winning 3 slams a year, he was winning WTF too.

See ? Get it ?

aprilfool
12-18-2011, 09:15 PM

Actually it's the SECOND most prestigious event after the four slams, as is reflected in the 1500 points that go with it.
IT is arguably much harder than the master events as the players are playing the best from the get go....

Why is it that Federer was never tired at the end of the three seasons in which he won three slams? Not to mention any of the other great years he's had?

The "tired" meme is going to give pro tennis a bad rap eventually...

If they had "lost interest" it's probably got more to do with the fact that they knew that there is no way to beat Federer indoors...

monfed
12-18-2011, 10:21 PM
In tennis circles ,WTF is the second most prestigious event after the slams. Pointswise it's 1500, second highest after slams. So, the premise of it not being important or that the players don't care about it is absurd.

But yea, guys who just watch tennis casually and switch off their TVs after watching the finals of a slam, they probably havent even heard of it.

merlinpinpin
12-18-2011, 10:44 PM

I guess you're right, and playoffs are not important in the NBA either, since they come at the end of the regular season.

And the old man is actually the less crippled of the top 3. Just ask yourself who is always retiring or calling for MTO's (legit or not). That's right, Nadal and Djokovic.

And it's actually pretty incredible that guys who are 24 or 25 and have been #1 in the world are still totally unable to schedule their season. Kind of boggles the mind, actually... :shock:

aphex
12-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Most players have lost the humor in their game by the time the WTF rolls around. It should be played before the AO with the best 8 players of the Abu Dhabi tournament.

tusharlovesrafa
12-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Why is Nadal no loger improving?

RAFA WAS A ONE SURFACE WONDER,HE IS A ONE SURFACE WONDER AND HE WILL ALWAYS BE ONE SLAM SURFACE WONDER.BY LUCK HE WON 2 WIBLY(3 WIMBELDON FINAL)..1 A.O,1 U.S OPEN..

DeShaun
12-18-2011, 11:13 PM
I think he always has trained with his eye towards peaking in sync with certain checkpoints ahead. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=404947

vernonbc
12-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Correct...and whatever the reason, it is a credit to Federer and a weakness / demerit to Djokovic, Nadal, and Murray that they just aren't fit enough to maintain great form throughout the season. I see this as a failure.
So what is Federer's excuse for not being fit enough to maintain form for the first ten months of the season? Or was he fit enough but just not good enough? It's amazing how Fedfans go all gaga when their guy wins a couple of tourneys and how selective their memory is about all the ones he lost.

nadalwon2012
12-19-2011, 12:05 AM

or

"Roger" was outdoors during the slams and the rest of the season. His fragile strokes now only work indoors with zero wind factor. That is why he's won 2 World Tour Finals in a row and no slams in between... And now he's sucked in Henman and Newk, and they will be disappointed once again at the AO :D

jackson vile
12-19-2011, 06:29 AM
"Roger" was outdoors during the slams and the rest of the season. His fragile strokes now only work indoors with zero wind factor. That is why he's won 2 World Tour Finals in a row and no slams in between... And now he's sucked in Henman and Newk, and they will be disappointed once again at the AO :D

You don't think he can take any of that momentum into the next season, Federer had a hell of a lot of success at the end of the season. Perhaps things are shaping up for him?

zagor
12-19-2011, 09:00 AM
You don't think he can take any of that momentum into the next season, Federer had a hell of a lot of success at the end of the season. Perhaps things are shaping up for him?

No, LOLville, 31 year old Fed will maybe win one slam if he gest lucky with the draw but that's about it, you can stop shaking in your boots now.

Indoor exos are irrelevant, the real season ends with USO.

zagor
12-19-2011, 09:03 AM
So what is Federer's excuse for not being fit enough to maintain form for the first ten months of the season? Or was he fit enough but just not good enough? It's amazing how Fedfans go all gaga when their guy wins a couple of tourneys and how selective their memory is about all the ones he lost.

You mean this season? Maybe the fact that he's 30 and has around 1000 matches under his belt? I mean it's hardly a stretch to claim that Nadal and/or Novak will be have a slamless year when they turn 30.

During his best years however(2004, 2006 and 2007) in each of which he won 3 slams, he also had enough left in the tank to perform great at TMC/WTF as well so yes he does pace himself better.

Sentinel
12-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Aah, so this is where all the Nadal fans are clustering.

I was getting concerned not seeing them around elsewhere.

aphex
12-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Aah, so this is where all the Nadal fans are clustering.

I was getting concerned not seeing them around elsewhere.

Yeah, we're all here!

sdont
12-20-2011, 03:16 AM

or

Good questions. It got me thinking, I have to wonder why Nadal always does so well during the clay season almost every year?

Is Nadal just so much more amazing on clay?
or
Is the competition taking it easy (see Monte Carlo), which allows Nadal to win more and easier?

celoft
12-20-2011, 04:06 AM
31 year old Fed will maybe win one slam if he gest lucky with the draw but that's about it

I concur.......

Would be awesome if it happened at Wimbledon.

Full circle.

Sentinel
12-20-2011, 04:42 AM
I concur.......

Would be awesome if it happened at Wimbledon.

Full circle.
Would be awesome if it happened at anyone of 'em.:)

However, we should not speak much of this. We don't want Lolville shaking any more than Zagor is already making him.

Coming back to the thread title: "Where was the OP during the slams" when Roger reached a final, had MP's in the semi over the eventual winner, and was 2 sets up in the QF before he fizzled out in another, and finally, got spanked by the eventual winner at the AO -- who I might add spanked Rafa throughout the year on all surfaces including clay.

adamX012
12-21-2011, 06:51 PM
OP, you know what.. I think Roger's tennis career comes to an end.

Well, my statement might be objective... I am not a strong player.

SoBad
12-21-2011, 06:56 PM

or

The good players just go for the slams and Olympic medals these days. You have to be pretty desperate to even try at those Christmas indoor exhibition events.

FlashFlare11
12-21-2011, 07:02 PM

Federer is 30. Nadal and Djokovic are 25 and 24, respectively. When Roger was their age, he could win 3 slams AND WTF in one year. Why can't these two do it in their primes? Djokovic has won once, but has only made one final. Nadal has been a slam winner for six years, and has only had two years in which he won more than one slam. Why couldn't he have done better in those years?

Biscuitmcgriddleson
12-21-2011, 07:22 PM
He couldn't take more posts from LOLVILE during the first 3/4 of the season.......

tlm
12-21-2011, 07:23 PM

You mean just like he did last year?

tlm
12-21-2011, 07:26 PM
The good players just go for the slams and Olympic medals these days. You have to be pretty desperate to even try at those Christmas indoor exhibition events.

Exactly the season ends in September, the rest of the tournys. are for the players that could not win a major.

FlashFlare11
12-21-2011, 07:29 PM
To add, it shows a lot of disrespect to call a tournament like the World Tour Finals an exhibition. It's clearly one of the most hyped-up tournaments on the ATP schedule. To dismiss it as a "glorified exhibition" is disrespectful to past champions. This tournament is much more meaningful than Davis Cup or the Olympics and is much more difficult to win than either.

SoBad
12-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Exactly the season ends in September, the rest of the tournys. are for the players that could not win a major.

It's a holiday consolation invitational that provides an opportunity for the less talented and fortunate to feel better about themselves.

tlm
12-21-2011, 07:35 PM
It's a holiday consolation invitational that provides an opportunity for the less talented and fortunate to feel better about themselves.

Very accurate.

monfed
12-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Which is why great Nadal takes a month off to prepare for it. Sour grapes.

MariaRafael
12-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Why is Nadal no loger improving?

No. If you know so little about tennis, let me tell you that he is one of only 3 open era players who has a career slam. Moreover, he is one of the two players who has a golden career slam. Furthermore, he is the only players who was the slam title holder on all the 3 surfaces simultaneously (twice, in 2008-9 and 2010) If you still don't understand what a career slam is, no problem, I'll explain further: it's all the 4 slams won on all the 3 surfaces.

And the question why Federer won WTF is irrelevant. All his rivals were out of competition - Murray, injured, Jopovic faking injury, Nadal with the stomach virus. The rest of the field was much lower. Beating them is no big deal.

Actually the phrase "one-surface wonder" exists only in your vocabulary. A more common phrase is "one-slam wonder" which means Del Potro. BTW congratulations with your hero being beaten by both Nadal and Ferrer. I really enjoyed this sight. It was a long way to Sevilla, but the massacre of the Argentinian innocents fully compensated for the time lost.

Agassifan
12-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Fed is the greatest player of all time and at present is clearly the best indoor player. Suck it up OP.

Hitman
12-22-2011, 12:02 AM
To add, it shows a lot of disrespect to call a tournament like the World Tour Finals an exhibition. It's clearly one of the most hyped-up tournaments on the ATP schedule. To dismiss it as a "glorified exhibition" is disrespectful to past champions. This tournament is much more meaningful than Davis Cup or the Olympics and is much more difficult to win than either.

The only ones doing that are Nadal worshippers, not Nadal fans, but Nadal worshippers, who need to continuously say that the event is nothing but an exhibition. Two reasons for this - First, Nadal hasn't won it, and with each year, it looks possible he never will. Second, Federer now has the official record for winning the title more than anyone in history, and that stings even more.

Despite the players acknowledging how important the event is, how many points it offers (This tournament on many occasions has decided before the Federer era, who ends the year wolrd number one). Despite it being filled with history, and having the players battling out all year, so they can say they are one of the elite, when they step on court at the WTF. Only the top 8 can play, that shows how good you must be to even have a direct entry.

It also has the toughest draw you can get, every match could be a potential final anyone else on the tour, and here, you could get it in the first match. Take Federer and Tsonga for example.

Just because a bunch of haters that can't stomach Federer's success, or someone else's failure to win this tournament, doesn't change the opinions of those that matter - the top players, who call it the biggest event outside the major. I will take their opinion anyday.

FlashFlare11
12-22-2011, 12:32 AM
The only ones doing that are Nadal worshippers, not Nadal fans, but Nadal worshippers, who need to continuously say that the event is nothing but an exhibition. Two reasons for this - First, Nadal hasn't won it, and with each year, it looks possible he never will. Second, Federer now has the official record for winning the title more than anyone in history, and that stings even more.

Despite the players acknowledging how important the event is, how many points it offers (This tournament on many occasions has decided before the Federer era, who ends the year wolrd number one). Despite it being filled with history, and having the players battling out all year, so they can say they are one of the elite, when they step on court at the WTF. Only the top 8 can play, that shows how good you must be to even have a direct entry.

It also has the toughest draw you can get, every match could be a potential final anyone else on the tour, and here, you could get it in the first match. Take Federer and Tsonga for example.

Just because a bunch of haters that can't stomach Federer's success, or someone else's failure to win this tournament, doesn't change the opinions of those that matter - the top players, who call it the biggest event outside the major. I will take their opinion anyday.

You captured my thoughts exactly! If I were a player, my first priority would be the slams. That cannot be disputed. But if I were to qualify for the YEC, why on earth wouldn't I give it my best shot? The prestige of literally being the best of the 8 best players in the world is enormous. And it seems Federer reflects these thoughts as well.

It's astonishing to me that the same people who dismiss the YEC as being a "glorified exhibition" are the same people who cling to Nadal's Masters record (which, by the way, is still an incredible achievement) and Spain's Davis Cup victories as proof of Nadal's GOAThood. The legitimacy of Davis Cup in this discussion has been discussed many times, but I'm sure many players would be willing to trade in more than a few Masters titles for one YEC title.

Bobby Jr
12-22-2011, 01:00 AM
No. If you know so little about tennis, let me tell you that he is one of only 3 open era players who has a career slam. Moreover, he is one of the two players who has a golden career slam. Furthermore, he is the only players who was the slam title holder on all the 3 surfaces simultaneously bla bla bla

And the question why Federer won WTF is irrelevant. All his rivals were out of competition - Murray, injured bla bla bla
Aside from starting out stating the obvious there is so much *fail* later on the post I don't even know where to start.

Since the 80s the season ending championships have been a significant achievement in all of the greatest players' resume. Whether the competition didn't show up, or did but out of form or partly injured is irrelevant.

No-one at all, when looking back at history, looks at Lendl's 1990 AO, Djokovic's 2008 AU or Federer's 2009 FO etc and adds an asterix next to it implying they only won because the favourite was injured.

Well... no-one except partisan hacks with conveniently selective memories.

Homeboy Hotel
12-22-2011, 03:00 AM
A best of 3 indoor tournament with conditions not being a variable is TOTALLY different to a best of 5 outdoor tournament where conditions are a variable.

Winning the World Tour Finals will not mean you'll be a GOAT and win every slam the following year, you have to be deluded in thinking so.

We were in exactly the same position this time last year, Federer won WTF 2010 and we thought "yep, 2011 will be Federer domination" = and it really wasn't. SF F QF SF, including match point and choking matches away.

An indoor tournament will give rise to inflated results where pure skill is favoured more than fitness, in lets say, slams. That's the key point.

Who won Federer vs Djokovic - Australian Open 2011? The fitter player.
Who won Federer vs Nadal - French Open 2011? The fitter and better mover.

Tammo
12-22-2011, 06:35 AM
IMO Fed had 2 big chokes at Wimbledon nd USO. He played Novak at the AO and played a good match. Against he played great, but in order to win he had to do it in 3. Fed just needs to learn how to close out matches better.

FlashFlare11
12-22-2011, 08:20 AM
IMO Fed had 2 big chokes at Wimbledon nd USO. He played Novak at the AO and played a good match. Against he played great, but in order to win he had to do it in 3. Fed just needs to learn how to close out matches better.

I think he choked in all four of his slam losses. He was up 5-2 in the second set against Djokovic and decided to play some drop shots at points which would have given him aet point. It was the same story at RG final against Nadal, with Roger being up 5-2, set point, and missing the drop shot.

Sentinel
12-22-2011, 08:47 AM
No. If you know so little about tennis, let me tell you that he is one of only 3 open era players who has a career slam. Moreover, he is one of the two players who has a golden career slam. Furthermore, he is the only players who was the slam title holder on all the 3 surfaces simultaneously (twice, in 2008-9 and 2010) If you still don't understand what a career slam is, no problem, I'll explain further: it's all the 4 slams won on all the 3 surfaces.

And the question why Federer won WTF is irrelevant. All his rivals were out of competition - Murray, injured, Jopovic faking injury, Nadal with the stomach virus. The rest of the field was much lower. Beating them is no big deal.

Actually the phrase "one-surface wonder" exists only in your vocabulary. A more common phrase is "one-slam wonder" which means Del Potro. BTW congratulations with your hero being beaten by both Nadal and Ferrer. I really enjoyed this sight. It was a long way to Sevilla, but the massacre of the Argentinian innocents fully compensated for the time lost.
Excellent poast, and excellently articulated thoughts.

FlashFlare11
12-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Excellent poast, and excellently articulated thoughts.

I always enjoy reading your posts (in a good way)!

pame
12-22-2011, 09:47 AM
federina rarely played davis cup, but in his usual sneaky idiotic, slimey snake way, federer found a way to whine about his tiredness after an injured djoker humiliated him.
djoker never cried after losing to an exhausted nadal, unlike poor loser fed...

if federer had been a selfless, gracious davis cup player, he would be less lucky in the slams. look what happened to djoker, nadal and to a lesser extent. roddick... fed has always feared losing at least a slam or masters title after getting tired in davis cup ties.

This Fed is a miracle worker.. he has, according to you, rarely played David Cup, yet has played more matches than most all active players. Guess he must have played them when you weren't looking :)

pame
12-22-2011, 09:55 AM

That's kind of a harsh and rather cynical commentary on all the slam/masters/WTF and other title winners in 2011 and previous years then. You really don't give pro athletes (of which I suspect you are not one) much credit, do you?

pame
12-22-2011, 09:57 AM

So since they qulified in this order, I guess that means you think Djokovic, Nadal and Murray are the least talented of all

Bobby Jr
12-22-2011, 12:28 PM
...Furthermore, he is the only players who was the slam title holder on all the 3 surfaces simultaneously (twice, in 2008-9 and 2010)
Umm. Federer has achieved this also... FO 2009, Wim 2009, AO 2010... holder of three slams on different surfaces.

Subventricular Zone
12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Fed is the best hard court indoor player of his generation so it's not a surprise.

jackson vile
12-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Fed is the best hard court indoor player of his generation so it's not a surprise.

Or maybe he just saved all his energy for the end of the year when everyone was tired LOL

FlashFlare11
12-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Or maybe he just saved all his energy for the end of the year when everyone was tired LOL

What about the years when Federer won three slams AND the Tour Finals?

What's the excuse then?

Terre Battu
12-22-2011, 10:55 PM

or

@ #3........

Agassifan
12-23-2011, 12:02 AM

Just like he has been doing for the past decade LOL

zagor
12-23-2011, 12:44 AM

LOL! But you see problem is, LOL, in each of Fed's most dominant years(those in which he won 3 slams LOL) he also won WTF at the end of the year so your theory doesn't really hold water.

Also (you're gonna love this one, LOL) keep in mind that guys like Sampras and Lendl also didnt have problems enduring the whole season as they both valued and performed extremely well at WTF.

celoft
12-23-2011, 07:12 AM
What's interesting is that Federer is the only player to win 3 slams in a season + YEC.

Connors, Wilander, Nadal and Djokovic failed to do so.

Can we say GOAT or WTF?

Sentinel
12-23-2011, 07:45 AM
You mean winning 3 slams while saving his energy ! Now that's GOAT stuff.

And "everyone was tired" from what ... reaching the quarters or semis while Fred won ?

tusharlovesrafa
12-23-2011, 08:03 AM

I agree with you,BRO!!He just takes advantages of dead,tired bodies and soul at the end of the year.He is a "CHEATER"...

Cup8489
12-23-2011, 08:05 AM
I agree with you,BRO!!He just takes advantages of dead,tired bodies and soul at the end of the year.He is a "CHEATER"...

what about the other 5 he won, 3 of which during 3 major- years?

LOLOLOLOL

Jackson_**** and tushfool don't know what they're talking about :oops:

stringertom
12-23-2011, 12:00 PM

What's interesting is that someone with the user name of idolatry of Rafa can call Fed a "CHEATER". Towel off a bit over that thought or, better still, call a MTO to contemplate how injured your thought process has become.

aphex
12-23-2011, 12:14 PM
LOL! But you see problem is, LOL, in each of Fed's most dominant years(those in which he won 3 slams LOL) he also won WTF at the end of the year so your theory doesn't really hold water LOL.

Also (you're gonna love this one, LOL) keep in mind that guys like Sampras and Lendl LOL also didnt have problems enduring the whole season as they both valued and performed extremely well at WTF.LOL

LOL **** LOL

I took the liberty of making some corrections to your otherwise flawless text zagorlol...

West Coast Ace
12-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Tsonga finished a whole season in good shape. No injuries. Good for him going into 2012.If the draw allows it I expect him to be the guy holding the runner up trophy while Roger poses with #17.

jackson vile
12-23-2011, 02:25 PM
What is the reason then? He can win consecutively like that at the end of the year, but no dice during the regular season.

If he is better than he should have been winning no?

Otherwise the other guys where either tired or just don't care?

kiki
12-23-2011, 02:26 PM

So true...

kiki
12-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Djokovic didnīt need at all to even do well at the YEC to prove he is the undisputed nš 1 of this year.And neither did Nadal to prove he is the undisputed nš 2 and only real challenger to Djokovicīs crown.That said, Federer clearly dominated, as he was probably much more fresh menthally and physically than the other 2

FlashFlare11
12-23-2011, 03:15 PM
What is the reason then? He can win consecutively like that at the end of the year, but no dice during the regular season.

If he is better than he should have been winning no?

Otherwise the other guys where either tired or just don't care?

He's 30. Nadal took 5 weeks off to prepare for the WTF. He doesn't care, right?

He won it while winning three slams a year multiple times during his prime. I guess all the others were tired from making quarters and semis while Federer was winning. It seems you have no answer to this fact, as it's been mentioned quite frequently yet you haven't responded to any of them.

I'd love to see what your hero does at the age of 30, though. I mean, he's having quite a few health complications at the ripe old age of 24, right?

Hitman
12-23-2011, 05:00 PM
He's 30. Nadal took 5 weeks off to prepare for the WTF. He doesn't care, right?

He won it while winning three slams a year multiple times during his prime. I guess all the others were tired from making quarters and semis while Federer was winning. It seems you have no answer to this fact, as it's been mentioned quite frequently yet you haven't responded to any of them.

I'd love to see what your hero does at the age of 30, though. I mean, he's having quite a few health complications at the ripe old age of 24, right?

He's only saying this to get a rise out of the legions of "****s". He likes rattling their cages. And his hero is 25 years old, not 24... :wink:

FlashFlare11
12-23-2011, 06:33 PM
He's only saying this to get a rise out of the legions of "****s". He likes rattling their cages. And his hero is 25 years old, not 24... :wink:

Yeah, so much for being a "*********." He's just a Nadal fan/Federer hater who jumped on the Djokovic bandwagon.

SoBad
12-23-2011, 06:37 PM
So since they qulified in this order, I guess that means you think Djokovic, Nadal and Murray are the least talented of all

I don't follow your logic, if there was any behind your post. The talented players won slams this year (even Nadal who basically took a year off) and were goofing around, while the desperate ones jumped at the holiday invitational to console themselves.

SoBad
12-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Which is why great Nadal takes a month off to prepare for it. Sour grapes.

Month off from what? There are no slams or Olympic games after the USOpen. You need to start getting comfortable with the reality.

TMF
12-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Month off from what? There are no slams or Olympic games after the USOpen. You need to start getting comfortable with the reality.

Month for the WTF which he's been dreaming about winning. It's missing in his resume and he's running out of time despite he's still at 25.

FlashFlare11
12-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Month for the WTF which he's been dreaming about winning. It's missing in his resume and he's running out of time despite he's still at 25.

Don't bother with him. He's just a trolling Federer hater. Close to zero of his posts make any sense.

Sentinel
12-24-2011, 07:45 AM
I took the liberty of making some corrections to your otherwise flawless text zagorlol...
why did you sprinkle zagor's flawless post with loservilles name.

*irate*

tlm
12-24-2011, 08:36 AM
The real season starts next month. Then we will see who the best players are, all of this dreaming from the wtf will be put to rest shortly.

Hitman
12-24-2011, 08:49 AM
The real season starts next month. Then we will see who the best players are, all of this dreaming from the wtf will be put to rest shortly.

The last year was a fake season? :confused:

jackson vile
12-24-2011, 10:16 AM

It's because Federer did not win any slams, you know better than that. Only counts when Federer wins!

SoBad
12-24-2011, 06:55 PM

Great Nadal only cares about slams and Olympics at this point. True, the holiday invitational title is missing from his resume, but so is the Alabama futures title. Nadal went to London to see friends and contribute his hefty appearance check to his wonderful charitable causes. He is happy to defer the holiday consolation title to the lesser players who haven't been able to win a single slam for years despite being in peak form.

Bobby Jr
12-24-2011, 07:26 PM
You mean winning 3 slams while saving his energy ! Now that's GOAT stuff.

And "everyone was tired" from what ... reaching the quarters or semis while Fred won ?
Yep. He tanked at the French so he'd have enough energy left to win the WTF.

So (using **** logic), we can take 3 of Nadal's FOs off his total because they were not legitimately won as Federer was taking it easy.

sportsfan1
12-24-2011, 08:25 PM
'This' Roger has lately been more dominant (relatively speaking) in 3 setters. He needs to get back to winning ways over Nadal and Noel in best of 5. Maybe he loses focus, maybe he gets tired/bored, or his opponents arguably get better, but he's been dominant in the first few sets and then lets it all fall apart(FO being the exception).

jackson vile
12-25-2011, 09:23 AM
'This' Roger has lately been more dominant (relatively speaking) in 3 setters. He needs to get back to winning ways over Nadal and Noel in best of 5. Maybe he loses focus, maybe he gets tired/bored, or his opponents arguably get better, but he's been dominant in the first few sets and then lets it all fall apart(FO being the exception).

That's that part that makes no sense, why does he fall apart at the end?

sportsfan1
12-25-2011, 11:54 AM
^^^ Yeah, I offered my part of the speculation - tired/bored/not as hungry as before/age, whatever, but no one's got a clue for sure and that's the $2,300,000 question currently. Fed's said after his fall victories that when he took time off during the Asia swing after USO, he had some time to reflect upon his odd losses and maybe tweaked a thing or two, but didn't offer any details on what exactly those things were. We have to wait till AO '12 to see if whatever he did works out or not.

jackson vile
12-26-2011, 08:52 AM
^^^ Yeah, I offered my part of the speculation - tired/bored/not as hungry as before/age, whatever, but no one's got a clue for sure and that's the $2,300,000 question currently. Fed's said after his fall victories that when he took time off during the Asia swing after USO, he had some time to reflect upon his odd losses and maybe tweaked a thing or two, but didn't offer any details on what exactly those things were. We have to wait till AO '12 to see if whatever he did works out or not.

IMO, he has been making improvements tactically. He is not relying on pure talent as before, his tennis seems smarter and much better planned for sure. I think part of the problem is that he is surprised when people like Nadal and Novak consistently raise their level, and that can be frustrating. When before the players would simply give up and fold or self destruct with errors.

stringertom
12-26-2011, 09:23 AM
I think we can all agree Fed's low point was after consecutive QF losses at majors to Sod and Berd in '10. Give him credit for reacting to that mini-slump by reaching out to P'Cone and making adjustments on the fly to reach MP's in SF loss to Djok @ USO'10 and his successful run through Europa indoors. While '11 didn't net a major, he was right there and has bounced back again from big losses. Now we will see if the necessary adjustments can be accomplished. Either way, he is relevant at a stage in careers that most others cannot say the same of themselves. Truly great competitors make adjustments to succeed in their 30's...Ashe pulled off the biggest upset in our sport's history at age 32. Agassi, Sampras and Connors won majors north of 30. Laver won the GS late in his career. '12 shall be interesting, indeed!

tlm
12-26-2011, 11:46 AM

No last year was not a fake season, but it ended after the US open.

Hitman
12-26-2011, 02:54 PM
No last year was not a fake season, but it ended after the US open.

Cool, thanks for explaining.

I wonder why Nadal is complaining then that the season is so long, since the US Open ends in mid September, and doesn't then start until next January. Something just doesn't make sense. I mean he's got four months nearly of non competitive play between seasons. :confused:

zagor
12-27-2011, 02:36 AM
IMO, he has been making improvements tactically. He is not relying on pure talent as before, his tennis seems smarter and much better planned for sure.

The majority of tennis players are "smarter" tactically and have a deeper knowledge of the game than in their younger years. However that still can't even come remotely close to compensating for the decline of their physical skills due to grind of the tour/mileage/age.

Tennis is a physical sport first and foremost (despite of its reputation amongst non tennis fans). Choosing the right tactics is only one part of the equation, executing them on court is what really counts.

I think part of the problem is that he is surprised when people like Nadal and Novak consistently raise their level...

"Consistently" raising their level? Surprising statement coming from you given the fact that you(along with the rest of the Vamos brigade) claimed Nadal has declined this year thus meaning that it's not just that he isn't raising his level consistently, but rather that it's dropping which is the opposite.

As for Novak, raising the bar for one year so far(even if it was an incredible one) doesn't consistute for raising the bar "consistently".

So basically, as usual, you have no idea what you're talking about.

frustrating...

Yes it's frustrating for Federer and his fans that his footwork & movement, ROS and FH are shadow of what it once were.

Don't worry though, it might seem distant now but you'll finally understand it all when Nadal turns 30, just think of how much "smarter" and tactically sound his tennis will be then! It will be a sight no doubt.

jackson vile
12-30-2011, 07:39 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=405467

Roger Federer believes that his strong finish to the 2011 season puts him ‘in the conversation’ for a run at the No. 1 South African Airways ATP Rankings later next year, even though the Swiss will begin the year a massive 5,460 points behind No. 1 Novak Djokovic.

Looks like Federer agrees with my logic, he had an year end and completely believes that will continue into the next year.

The majority of tennis players are "smarter" tactically and have a deeper knowledge of the game than in their younger years. However that still can't even come remotely close to compensating for the decline of their physical skills due to grind of the tour/mileage/age.

Tennis is a physical sport first and foremost (despite of its reputation amongst non tennis fans). Choosing the right tactics is only one part of the equation, executing them on court is what really counts.

"Consistently" raising their level? Surprising statement coming from you given the fact that you(along with the rest of the Vamos brigade) claimed Nadal has declined this year thus meaning that it's not just that he isn't raising his level consistently, but rather that it's dropping which is the opposite.

As for Novak, raising the bar for one year so far(even if it was an incredible one) doesn't consistute for raising the bar "consistently".

Yes it's frustrating for Federer and his fans that his footwork & movement, ROS and FH are shadow of what it once were.

Don't worry though, it might seem distant now but you'll finally understand it all when Nadal turns 30, just think of how much "smarter" and tactically sound his tennis will be then! It will be a sight no doubt.

Emet74
12-30-2011, 07:52 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=405467

Looks like Federer agrees with my logic, he had an year end and completely believes that will continue into the next year.

Fed never even said that quote that's attributed to him. He said he'd be "in the conversation" for #1 if he wins a slam or two this year. That's stating the obvious.

Sentinel
12-30-2011, 08:07 AM

You really should consider charging these kids for these extensive lessons. Your time is valuable, you know.

West Coast Ace
12-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Don't worry though, it might seem distant now but you'll finally understand it all when Nadal turns 30, just think of how much "smarter" and tactically sound his tennis will be then! It will be a sight no doubt.Dude's going to be the best fisherman in Manacor at 30. Except the weeks where his shoulder hurts and he can only cast at 75%... :)