PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in the tennis world?

2ndServe
11-28-2011, 07:20 AM
So like everyone I have a job that I seem to dislike more each day. I played a lot as a kid and even helped teaching tennis etc in HS and college. Thing with teaching tennis is you have to always have this energy and I'm not sure I can do that for 8+ hours a day. I'd like this but I'm more of a low key person.

I stopped for about 7 years and about 1.5 years ago I started playing again a lot like 5 or 6 days a week. One of the happiest things for me is being around the tennis court, hitting, talking, reading tennis forums etc.

So I'm wondering what type of jobs are tennis related? Feel free to list anything and I'll research each one. Thanks

shazbot
11-28-2011, 07:57 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tennis+jobs

Andreas1965
11-28-2011, 11:11 AM
So like everyone I have a job that I seem to dislike more each day.
Not everyone. I seem to like my job. I played a lot as a kid and even helped teaching tennis etc in HS and college. Thing with teaching tennis is you have to always have this energy and I'm not sure I can do that for 8+ hours a day. I'd like this but I'm more of a low key person.

I stopped for about 7 years and about 1.5 years ago I started playing again a lot like 5 or 6 days a week. One of the happiest things for me is being around the tennis court, hitting, talking, reading tennis forums etc.

So I'm wondering what type of jobs are tennis related? Feel free to list anything and I'll research each one. ThanksThere are about a dozen ore more activities I prefer over going to work.

But how much money, if anything, might someone pay me for lying on the sofa watching TV or sitting in a bar or having a fine dinner?

Don't want to make fun of you. But please think for a moment if life is really that bad, if you have a job that allows you to play tennis 5 days a week...

I mean, come on, after some years almost every job is pure routine, more or less. That is called reality. The real art is to challenge yourself to make the best of your job. You can always try learning new job related skills, bring in new ideas and be creative.

My job is almost all about laws and sitting behind a desk (I'm assistant director of German equivalent to CDC). So I started to spread my interests to keep it challenging. Besides my daily routine I teach younger co-workers now, I began treating patients again (after quitting hospital work about 10 years ago) and learned new skills (I spend about 10 hours a week now with advising people about tropical diseases and vaccinate them prior to their stay in tropical areas).

Maybe this could be a little bit of an inspiration. Maybe it's smarter to be happy that you HAVE a job.

ollinger
11-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Part of what Andreas is getting at is that you're happy around the tennis court now because it's not a RESPONSIBILITY but rather something you do for fun. Turn it into your job, your responsibility, your essential livelihood, and things could change radically. I know some people who are teaching pros and some two people who own tennis pro shops -- none of them seems all that thrilled with his job.

r2473
11-28-2011, 02:10 PM
So I'm wondering what type of jobs are tennis related? Feel free to list anything and I'll research each one. Thanks

How good are you at saying "good job. follow through more. move your feet" to little kids while while dealing with moronic, demanding parents?

How about sleeping with lonley housewives?

If this describes you, perhaps you could be a tennis instructor. Or maybe a pool man.

ollinger
11-28-2011, 02:12 PM
^^ "Ron Jeremy is here to repair your TV, Mrs. Jones."

r2473
11-28-2011, 02:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkHXshtLsMs&feature=related

Actually, if anyone in this day and age claimed to be a TV repairman, you'd know something was up (does anyone get their TV / DVR / etc repaired anymore instead of just tossing it and getting a new one?).

sureshs
11-29-2011, 06:45 AM
Does anyone take their shoes to a cobbler any more?

chollyred
11-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Part of what Andreas is getting at is that you're happy around the tennis court now because it's not a RESPONSIBILITY but rather something you do for fun. Turn it into your job, your responsibility, your essential livelihood, and things could change radically. I know some people who are teaching pros and some two people who own tennis pro shops -- none of them seems all that thrilled with his job.

Agreed. I have a friend that is the general manager of a local golf course. I asked her a couple of weeks ago if she's playing much. She said she gets out about 4 times a year.

I also know a couple of tennis pros that barely make ends meet relying solely on lessons.

One of the retailers here (3 stores) has full size courts in their store and has tennis pros on staff. These pros provide lessons, racquet recommendations and testing, and sell merchandise; that way they still have a job when there are no lessons. Maybe something along those lines wouldn't be too bad. Get to meet a lot of different people, try out the latest and greatest new racquets, and give a few lessons along the way.

Fifth Set
11-29-2011, 07:41 AM
One of the retailers here (3 stores) has full size courts in their store and has tennis pros on staff. These pros provide lessons, racquet recommendations and testing, and sell merchandise; that way they still have a job when there are no lessons. Maybe something along those lines wouldn't be too bad. Get to meet a lot of different people, try out the latest and greatest new racquets, and give a few lessons along the way.

Wow, that sounds fantastic for the consumer. Tennis shops of any kind are a dying breed in the SF Bay Area. Many people play, but land is too expensive for the full service tennis shop to make alot of economic sense. Entirely possible that we will be shipping our sticks to TW for restringing in 5 years.

OP, ollinger is right. Think twice before romanticizing a tennis job. Play is play and work is work. Trying too hard to mix the two can create a big mess.

It can, however, be possible to become successful in business and then translate that into getting into sports. Examples of this include the business lawyer who becomes a sports executive (e.g., agents, league commissioners, promoters). This is more of a long term play and doesn't mean many hours actually hitting a ball for pay, but could be fun and lucrative.

sureshs
11-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Become a TW play tester

r2473
11-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Does anyone take their shoes to a cobbler any more?

I've had a few pairs of shoes resoled. It depends on how much they cost / how nice they are / how much it would cost to replace them.

Most shoes just get tossed though becuse most shoes I buy are cheap (I actually have few places to wear my nice shoes anymore. Weddings; funerals; weird parties my wife makes me go to).

Andreas1965
11-29-2011, 10:26 AM
I've had a few pairs of shoes resoled. It depends on how much they cost / how nice they are / how much it would cost to replace them.

Most shoes just get tossed though becuse most shoes I buy are cheap (I actually have few places to wear my nice shoes anymore. Weddings; funerals; weird parties my wife makes me go to).
Hey, are you my long lost twin brother?

I bought a pair of Alden shoes about 6 years ago in NY, and wore them not more than 3 times: my parent's 50th anniversary, my best friend's wedding and grandma's funeral. If I can keep this frequency they'll last forever.

Thank god that I can go to work with my trusty Adidas Superstars. Have them in several colors, the all black ones are reserved for those days you have to wear a suit ;)

CityTennis22
11-29-2011, 10:51 AM
How good are you at saying "good job. follow through more. move your feet" to little kids while while dealing with moronic, demanding parents?

How about sleeping with lonely housewives?

If this describes you, perhaps you could be a tennis instructor. Or maybe a pool man.

Funny story. One of the tennis pro's in my area is infamous for breaking up families. He's slept with at least two married women who had three or more children. Such a ridiculous stereotype, but I guess it got that way somehow.

Plus, if you want to actually make a good amount of money, you should either move to an area with a big tennis market where lessons and clinics are plentiful or accept only cash so you don't have to claim it on your taxes.

813wilson
11-29-2011, 12:56 PM
So I'm wondering what type of jobs are tennis related?

The sarcastic answer is: anything to do with tennis.

You ruled out teaching - Thing with teaching tennis is you have to always have this energy and I'm not sure I can do that for 8+ hours a day. I'd like this but I'm more of a low key person.

So, you take that high level of energy and put it toward sales: apparel, equipment, associations, tournaments, marketing, clay, paint, construction.

You'll be fine.....

sureshs
11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Funny story. One of the tennis pro's in my area is infamous for breaking up families. He's slept with at least two married women who had three or more children.

He was just drilling his students.

Anybody see anything wrong with that?

r2473
11-29-2011, 01:33 PM
He was just drilling his students.

Anybody see anything wrong with that?

As a tennis pro, you will need to keep yourself and your students in great shape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POXMAiLZhOg&feature=player_embedded

chrischris
11-29-2011, 02:46 PM

What's this supposed to mean?

CityTennis22
11-29-2011, 10:36 PM
What's this supposed to mean?

Seriously???

zapvor
11-30-2011, 03:40 PM
classic tt lol

Tennishacker
11-30-2011, 05:18 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tennis+jobs

That's pretty cool.

woodrow1029
11-30-2011, 05:23 PM
You can become an umpire and not make any money, but have a lot of fun.

Rattler
11-30-2011, 06:09 PM
You can become an umpire and not make any money, but have a lot of fun.

Ain't that the truth