PDA

View Full Version : Hewitt vs Coria **SPOILER**

splink779
07-14-2005, 07:54 PM
I have to tell everyone about this because I found it so entertaining. Hewitt won this first rubber in four. However in the fourth set hewitt yelled one of his patened 'come on's on a Coria error. Coria then proceeded to grab his crotch several times, prompting arguments among the coaches and the chair. Coira then smacked an overhead directly at hewitt. Hewitt hit an ace on the next point. He points at Coria and yells f*ck off. Throughout the whole set Hewitt was cheering Coria's errors and Coria was mocking Hewitt's 'veesh' and lawnmower celebration. Incredinbly entertaining match.

ACE of Hearts
07-14-2005, 08:08 PM
LMAO, i thought Coria would punch him in the mouth for that :mrgreen:

bertrevert
07-14-2005, 08:11 PM
It was!

First rubber to Australia in this Australia vs. Argentina David Cup match.

There is certainly no love lost between Coria and Hewitt - I wonder what is the history to that?

It's a cold damp (no rain) day in Sydney and the grass looks slipepry. I think Coria was grabbing his crotch becasue he picked up a strain slipping on the grass.

Davis Cup sure brings out the passions of the crowd. Both players excelled in the conditions...

bertrevert
07-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Final score - Hewitt d. Coria 7-6 (7-5), 6-1, 1-6, 6-2

splink779
07-14-2005, 08:19 PM
It was!

First rubber to Australia in this Australia vs. Argentina David Cup match.

There is certainly no love lost between Coria and Hewitt - I wonder what is the history to that?

It's a cold damp (no rain) day in Sydney and the grass looks slipepry. I think Coria was grabbing his crotch becasue he picked up a strain slipping on the grass.

It was a bit slippery and overall the court was horrible. Both players were angry at the court and both slipped. Hewitt kept saying f*cking court and I'm sure Coria was saying something similar as he was kicking and hitting the court.

I don't think there was any history between the players - Hewitt has a tendency to make a lot more new enemies than friends on court. Coria was clearly grabbing his crotch after the come on but then passed it off as tending to an injury after the chair said something.

VictorS.
07-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Very interesting match on many levels. Obviously these two players aren't exactly the most endearing players, but I must admit that it made for good entertainment. Coria seems to have this whiney look on his face. I'm not sure if he just is really emotionally tormented out there or if he's hurting physically.

splink779
07-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Coria often has an openly negative manner on court. It costs him a lot of matches. If you recall the monte carlo final this year, nadal thrashed him in 4 sets also - but not before coria won a 6-0 set, just as he won a 6-1 set today. If he could remain focused like that throughout the whole match instead of getting negative he would win much more.

Shaolin
07-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Splink-
Will you have DVDs of this match?

bertrevert
07-14-2005, 08:52 PM
Got to admit I like Coria's game. But he's got a clay-courter's DNA: what on earth where his dropshots about? On grass! At critical times on clay a drop-shot is an offensive shot - but not on grass. The ball comes through to you skidding and trying a drop-shot on that is pure madness.

But his lobs were perfecto.

I thought Hewitt, coming off W as he is, showed great form. He mixed it up a lot - topspin rallying, flat corner shots, feathery angles, reasonable volleys.

Got to be the juiciest match all year... and yes I did see the USA lose to Spain.

splink779
07-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Splink-
Will you have DVDs of this match?

Yes - I will have all of this tie and the Russia France tie also.

Andres
07-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Got to admit I like Coria's game. But he's got a clay-courter's DNA: what on earth where his dropshots about? On grass! At critical times on clay a drop-shot is an offensive shot - but not on grass. The ball comes through to you skidding and trying a drop-shot on that is pure madness.

But his lobs were perfecto.

I thought Hewitt, coming off W as he is, showed great form. He mixed it up a lot - topspin rallying, flat corner shots, feathery angles, reasonable volleys.

Got to be the juiciest match all year... and yes I did see the USA lose to Spain.

On grass, the ball bounces so much lowers than on clay. A dropshot on grass isn't a bad idea. It gives you less time to react and to reach for the ball..

sedwickdotcom
07-14-2005, 11:12 PM
they are two little guys it would have been a funny fight...oh yeah Coria takes steroids though...hahaha

Andy Hewitt
07-15-2005, 12:14 AM
i want this match! NOW!!! OH MY GOD!!! I WANT IT NOW!!!

StraightSets
07-15-2005, 12:21 AM
Highly entertaining match... and i only saw the last set!

Coria proceded to say in the press conference something along these lines:

"Off court he is alright, but on the court I feel like killing him".

andrew_slattery
07-15-2005, 01:30 AM
i was at the match!!!

verdasco67
07-15-2005, 03:07 AM
lol remember when blake mocked hewitt by doing his trademark gesture? coria did it as well!!!! funny as hell....

(on this page)

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=EventImagesSearchState%7c1%7c0%7c2 8%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c53210255%7c0%7c0%7 c0%7c0%7c0%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=7&tag=1

verdasco67
07-15-2005, 03:09 AM
and this page!!! hewitt stuck his middle finger at guillermo?

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=EventImagesSearchState%7c1%7c0%7c2 8%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c53210255%7c0%7c0%7 c0%7c0%7c0%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=7&tag=1

verdasco67
07-15-2005, 03:09 AM
sorry same link but go to page 2!

TennisD
07-15-2005, 03:32 AM
I wish they would get into a fight, so Hewitt could smack the smile off Coria's face. What a little doping *******o he is....

StraightSets
07-15-2005, 03:35 AM
Coria is accusing Hewitt of being an annoying a**hole on the court... I think Coria also needs to look at himself... one of the donkeys on tour with the cheating and such.

TennisD
07-15-2005, 03:36 AM
Coria is accusing Hewitt of being an annoying a**hole on the court... I think Coria also needs to look at himself... one of the donkeys on tour with the cheating and such.
Pfft, absolutely. I've been close to the guy myself, and so have people I train with, and he's an asshat. Sorry to his fans, but it's the truth.

I really want Hewitt to smack him!

CoASH
07-15-2005, 03:38 AM
"He grabbed his private parts at one stage three times in a row, when I was about to serve, so I stopped and asked if he had an issue ... and if he could find it."

AJK1
07-15-2005, 03:39 AM
Just a couple of little guys with small man syndrome.

TennisD
07-15-2005, 03:40 AM
"He grabbed his private parts at one stage three times in a row, when I was about to serve, so I stopped and asked if he had an issue ... and if he could find it."
Whose quote is that?

And AJ, I think Hewitt is far more agreeable than Coria..

verdasco67
07-15-2005, 04:14 AM
i think their both twats.....dislike them both...

CoASH
07-15-2005, 05:54 AM
hewitt's quote
coria was the crotch grabber

verdasco67
07-15-2005, 06:33 AM
Coria Quotes after match: "He can be the best player in the world, he can win every tournament but he can not behave the way he does, abusing the captain, abusing the other players. I won't repeat what I heard out there.

"Outside of the court he is one thing, but inside the court you really feel like killing him," Coria said.

Hewitt Quotes: "I say 'c'mon' on the court and I don't think that is so bad," said Hewitt. "The guy spat on the court and he spat in the referee's direction when he wasn't happy with the court surface. He tried hip-and-shouldering me in the first and he complained the whole day. I'm not sure what his issue is but I'm pretty sure (it's all) because he lost the match.

"Not once did I swear at Guillermo. I'm still struggling to deal with today what I did wrong. To be perfectly honest, he is arrogant and he lost the match today and he's looking for every excuse in the book. Not once did I have words with him and to tell you the truth I think he's a sore loser."

hmm that pic on gettyimages kinda looks like he's pointing the finger at guillermo?

splink779
07-15-2005, 06:40 AM
He clearly swore at coria after that ace as he pointed at coira. It wasn't his middle finger though.

ty slothrop
07-15-2005, 06:40 AM
anyone got the link to the interviews, i can't find it on the davis cup site.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-15-2005, 06:53 AM
Oh man, I would have loved to have seen this match. :) Coria is a little twat, Hewitt is a nasty little brat on court to the point of being entertaining in an odd sort of way, Coria is to the point of making one hope he slips on the court and fall flat on his face.

eLterrible
07-15-2005, 07:02 AM
aw i had to go to sleep after the 3rd set, but i DID see coria do the *slow motion fist pump at the ground*, i thought it was hilarious.

finchy
07-15-2005, 08:20 AM
rofl. i really want to see this match now. what were the crowd's reactions? this seems superbly entertaining.

Kevin Patrick
07-15-2005, 08:39 AM
I thought the umpire was hilarious at the changeover. "Tell him to stop grabbing his balls!"

Babblelot
07-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Gotta love Hewitt for bringing "bad blood" back to the men's game. Very Johnny Mac, I must say.

I hope he spits at Roddick and Andy clocks him. :D

arosen
07-15-2005, 10:10 AM
This is exactly what tennis needs. Bad blood, high tension, explicit gesturing, all of it is finally coming to the tennis court. People love this kind of drama, especially when it's coupled with the high quality tennis that both Coria and Hewitt can play. Awesome.

AngeloDS
07-15-2005, 10:25 AM
What channel was this on? Tennis Channel?

TennisD
07-15-2005, 10:57 AM
I like Hewitt a lot...

Which is why I want to see him smoke Coria with a left hook... :D

TheGreatBernie
07-15-2005, 11:03 AM
The Tennis Channel finally paid off for me. Fantastic match. It was very entertaining and they were both playing at a high level. I didn't know Coria could volley so well. I never liked Hewitt, but after this match he showed a lot of fire and that's what I like to see. We need more of this in tennis. Make these matches more personal.

splink779
07-15-2005, 11:26 AM
I wish it went to 5, becuase then anything could have happened.

Astennix
07-15-2005, 11:33 AM
You think you guys saw it all yesterday....just wait for the NABALDIAN - HEWITT match!! I can already smell the blood!!!

Astennix
07-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Also, BIG THANKS to the TENNIS CHANNEL for bringing the Davis Cup LIVE to all of us tennis fans. It's great to watch such amazing tennis LIVE...hope they start covering the slams soon too....(that's for you ESPN).

splink779
07-15-2005, 11:53 AM
You think you guys saw it all yesterday....just wait for the NABALDIAN - HEWITT match!! I can already smell the blood!!!

I hope they get into a fight. It wasn't too bad in the australian but they did bump shoulders. Who knows...

tdnxxx444
07-15-2005, 02:58 PM
However in the fourth set hewitt yelled one of his patened 'come on's on a Coria error.

Hmmm.. are you not suppose to celebrate on your opponent's error? My friend does it to me all the time.. If so, I'm about to give him a beatdown the next time he does it.

And oh yea, with all the happening, did Hewitt and Coria shake hands at the end?

Haka Boy
07-15-2005, 03:16 PM
The match was disgraceful, nothing but a spiteful display of un-sportsmanship behavior on both parts. Yesterdays match did more harm to the true meaning of Davis Cup and more importantly to tennis as a game. Where were the Davis Cup officials during the match????

Yours!05
07-15-2005, 03:22 PM
And oh yea, with all the happening, did Hewitt and Coria shake hands at the end?Yes. Standard variety handshake after hard fought match.

Yours!05
07-15-2005, 03:45 PM
TheGreatBernie - The Tennis Channel finally paid off for me. Fantastic match. It was very entertaining and they were both playing at a high level. I didn't know Coria could volley so well. I never liked Hewitt, but after this match he showed a lot of fire and that's what I like to see. We need more of this in tennis. Make these matches more personal.Haka Boy -The match was disgraceful, nothing but a spiteful display of un-sportsmanship behavior on both parts. Yesterdays match did more harm to the true meaning of Davis Cup and more importantly to tennis as a game. Where were the Davis Cup officials during the match????
It'll be interesting to see when this thread finishes which side majority opinion falls on.
1. It was amazingly involving and exciting.
2. They both behaved in an un-tennis-like manner.
But is it un-Davis Cup like? I've certainly seen a few ties v. Australia where the fans, opposing coach and entourage have done things previously unimaginable on a tennis court and, to take Hewitt out of the equation, with Rafter/Phillippoussis/Woodies playing. One of them being the last time Aust. played in Buenos Aires, where actual intimidation from crowd and entourage was a factor in the 5-0 Arg. victory. Very much worse than this.

Post-match reports: http://foxsports.news.com.au/tennis/

arosen
07-15-2005, 03:46 PM
The match was disgraceful.... Yesterdays match did more harm to the true meaning of Davis Cup and more importantly to tennis as a game.

Do you claim to know the TRUE meaning of Davis Cup and Tennis? You got some balls there fella. Maybe you just like to sit on the high horse and tell us "like it is" huh? Well, you ever heard of the value of entertainment?

edberg505
07-15-2005, 04:52 PM
I so wish Federer played for Argentina. Put Hewitt butt in it's place.

robbie_dademo
07-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Nalbandian just closed out the 4th set 6-2 to make the tie 1-1.

i cant wait for the doubles featuring hewitt and nalbdandian, i think arthurs will keep it cool but and there wont be too many fireworks, that is my gut feel.

nalbandian just tried to hose down all the issues saying the crowd is great and complimenting the aussies. It seems Coria has started all this basically i feel, lleyton hadn't done anything out of the ordinary, his fist pumps are nothing new.

can we start a poll saying who do you think started and incited it all and is at fault??

Fedubai
07-15-2005, 05:35 PM
So many people get so worked up over Hewitt. Sheesh. He's a fiery guy and he shows it, especially during Davis Cup. I don't see what the problem is. Sure, he goes over the line sometimes but it isn't often. He's honest and open about who he is, and he leaves his heart out there. Very competitive, very intense.

You have to be able to keep your head about you and match his effort out there or chances are, you're gonna lose and you're gonna get your behind kicked if you put in a half-baked effort. The guys who let this stuff bother them so much are the ones who don't concentrate enough on the task at hand.

And someone mentioned how they wished that Federer was on Argentina's team...Seems to me that Federer is one of the only guys who isn't bothered by Hewitt's antics. You won't see him whine and complain about how Hewitt is "agressive", and isn't a "gentleman".

If players can't take Hewitt's antics, there is always knitting. ;)

Haka Boy
07-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Do you claim to know the TRUE meaning of Davis Cup and Tennis? You got some balls there fella. Maybe you just like to sit on the high horse and tell us "like it is" huh? Well, you ever heard of the value of entertainment?
Iím not surprised that I have been questioned about my previous post. Its obvious that you didn't fathom my post entirely....Itís just not the game of tennis but ANY sport, where do you draw the line in sportsmanship? I realize that it is a difference of opinion only. As a person who enjoys tennis, yes I agree it was an unusual entertaining tennis match and I for one was glued to the television but as a father I have found myself questioning the values of the tennis players and the officials of the Davis Cup. Isnít the Davis Cup where each player represents their country proudly?

This morning I had a reality check with the OVERALL lasting legacy that the match left particularly with my young son. In taking my young son to his tennis lesson I was confronted with him and many others imitating the players in question. A very small minority of parents laughed at their antics but along with the majority I didnít.

My overriding thought was ďWhoíd have thought that watching a Davis Cup match would eventually come under parental guidanceĒ?

So now I have been asked what kind of balls I have. Well that depends whether Iím in father mode or tennis fan? In reading tennis players articles they have an overwhelming desire to bring attention to the sport of tennis as a whole.

Against popular opinion on this thread I donít think this tennis match brought much credibility to the game of tennis.

Fedubai
07-15-2005, 06:45 PM
I would agree with people who think that sick, stupid acts aren't good for the game. However, there is a line. For instance, I have no problem with come on's, some arguing with the umpire as long the player doesn't freak out and start swearing, fistpumping, some mocking, stares, and the like. That's part of sports.

Nonstop swearing, stupid gestures, and the like, is something that I don't appreciate in sports. But hey, I think that all you can do is ignore it and move on. No sense dwelling on it, in my opinion.

Andy Hewitt
07-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Where does he throw up a middle finger?

What exactly is "over the top" about Hewitt? Has anyone ever seen this guy named Rafael Nadal?

splink779
07-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Where does he throw up a middle finger?

What exactly is "over the top" about Hewitt? Has anyone ever seen this guy named Rafael Nadal?

I think Rafa's celebrations are at least better because he grinds and earns his opponent's unforced errors, especially on big points. Hewitt yells come on when Coria dumps a standard rally forehand into the net or Chela misses an overhead, etc. Gotta love what Coria said about hewitt - I wouldn't want to be the best in the world if I had to be like hewitt. Just my opinions.

He never used his middle finger.

TheGreatBernie
07-15-2005, 11:48 PM
If I haven't posted this already (because I honestly can't remember), here it is. I think the drama is great for the game. Especially if the drama were to escalate to a fist fight.

In the 80s, NBA Basketball was at it's height because of all the personal rivalries. If you're a fan of the NBA, you know what I'm talking about. The classic battle of the Celtics vs Lakers. The Pistons vs the Lakers... the hard fouls... the elbows and forearms that were thrown... What made the game so exciting was that the players were allowed to be raw on the court. These were gladiators battling for a prize. They were in the heat of battle and let it all out. All of it.

THAT is why I love sport and that element of sport has died down significantly in the 90s. The players of today cannot get away with the things that Johnny Mac did and I believe that to be unfortunate. It's what McEnroe is well-known for and it added intensity to the matches.

Perhaps one day people will lighten up again like in the 80s and allow these players to play.

P.S. There were a few good NBA rivalries in the 90s to now: Bulls vs Jazz and Lakers vs Sacramento. Both fantastic, classic series.

BERDI4
07-16-2005, 05:50 AM
I think Rafa's celebrations are at least better because he grinds and earns his opponent's unforced errors, especially on big points. Hewitt yells come on when Coria dumps a standard rally forehand into the net or Chela misses an overhead, etc. Gotta love what Coria said about hewitt - I wouldn't want to be the best in the world if I had to be like hewitt. Just my opinions.
He never used his middle finger.
Aother difference is that Rafa doesn't look at the opponent when he says "vamos!"

Boy Wonder
07-16-2005, 05:59 AM

Nadal does not have an "in your face" attitude like Hewitt and is more respectful than Hewitt's. His celebrations are means to keep building his confidence and keep the energy going.

cheecl
07-16-2005, 06:46 AM
WWF is entertainment...but it's not Tennis is it?
I agree with you that entertainment is good for tennis, but to what extent and at what cost. Where do you draw the line and say...that's not sportsman like?

My son used to adore Hewitt..had posters of him all over the bedroom.
Thank god he's taken it all down now. Even an 13 year old can tell that fist pumping a mistake from the opponent is not sporting behaviour.

RiosTheGenius
07-16-2005, 10:00 AM
I'd like to see what's going to happen tomorrow between Hewitt and Nalbandian because it is a decisive match and those two have history of not getting along (remember at the AO this year?) so I think nalbandian might end up turning this into a boxing match if Hewitt decides to be the hemorhoid he can be.

Count Grishnackh
07-16-2005, 01:23 PM
I had only seen a bit of this match but I did see the first set and it was high quality stuff. As for the behavior of these two guys, it doesn't surprise me. I don't like the way Hewitt or Coria behave on court. Hewitt's antics are clearly done to **** opponents off, nice guys like Chela and Blake have gotten rather angry at his behavior and its hard to imagine 2 nicer guys on tour than them. He has a history of chewing out linesmen and his attitude yesterday was poor. But when you get two guys like these on the court I must admit it makes for entertaining tennis. As for Coria he has this smug attitude that he's soo damn good and he whines when he's losing, even on grass which is his worst surface. He angered Agassi in Rome after he beat him, when Nadal beat him the second time in Rome he didn't even bother to shake hands until Rafa went over to his seat.

After the loss he was bitter, his throne of clay court king had been taken from him after a severe physical beating. So he says that he wants a piece of Rafa at the French, that's nice Gullermo but you have to make the final to do that. He ends up losing very meekly to Davydenko in the QF and his opportunity of holding up that trophy looks to be going away very quickly. He lost to Verkerk 2 yrs ago, lost to Gaudio last year and lost this year to Davydenko. Maybe the pressure is too much or he can't raise his game when facing opponents that are "on". With so many talented clay court players and Nadal on top of that, I really wonder if he'll ever hold up that championship trophy.

He's talented and has more variety to his game than Hewitt but he can't really hang with other players on faster surfaces. He can't absorb power players as good as Hewitt can. A quote he said after losing to Roddick in Wimby was "I would beat him if we were on clay" that's nice dude but he beat you on clay a couple of years ago as well if your memory is ok. I never heard Andy say "oh yeah Acasuso or Mutis, you got lucky that I didn't serve your pathetic journeymen butts off the court at the US Open or Wimbledon." For all the ripping Andy gets on these boards (really the whole entire anti-American sentiment here in general.) he's actually a sporting guy in defeat and is nowhere near as bad as these two bums (Hewitt/Coria) or even Nalbandian for that matter. He's another guy with a huge chip on his shoulder as well.

To the match, it was tough to say who's the one with more "reason" because Hewitt is a ***** and Coria is cocky and is a cry baby when things go wrong. I can't even root for either of them, I dislike them both. I'd slightly pick Hewitt because he works his butt off to win and in that lone manner I admire him. But nothing else.

Count Grishnackh
07-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Andy Hewitt

<<<What exactly is "over the top" about Hewitt? Has anyone ever seen this guy named Rafael Nadal?>>

The main difference between them both is that Hewitt simply does it to anger his opponents, especially when someone hits a double fault or dump their shot into the bottom of the net. He'll yell a loud c'mon and then stare at his opponent with a dirty look. That's just plain unsportmanlike, everyone pretty much has had a gripe with him and it's not by accident, there is something to that. As for Nadal he does it just out of sheer elation in winning a hard fought point, he'll almost always do it when he hits a winner or forced his opponent into a difficult error on break point or match point. He used to do it all the time but he's changed it to crucial moments in matches and spectacular points.

He doesn't even look at his opponent when he fist pumps, he'll look up at the sky, the fans or his coaches box. But never at his opponent as if to say "you're a loser and you don't deserve to beat me" like Hewitt does. Watch tapes of his matches, his celebrations are not or of a demeaning manner to his opponents than just pure excitement of winning a great point. For example, in the first set with a set point against Federer at the French, he got an overhead back, stayed in the rally got Fed on his heels and hit a swinging volley away to win the set, he jumps up in happiness. Never does he look as Federer while doing it, he'll look up to the sky and say "Vamos".

Another example was during the Gasquet match in the 2nd or 3rd round also at the French when he got back amazingly this deep volley in which he was wrong footed, he ran back and somehow used the strength of his wrist to keep the ball in play, Gasquet hits a bad put away shot giving Nadal the chance to hit a backhand winner crosscourt on set point I believe. He's crazy excited as anyone would be, but he looks over to his box with the fist pump and never at Gasquet. He just won a great hard fought point and deserves to be excited, especially at 19, but he doesn't send a negative message to his opponet but more a positive message to himself and his coach. Hewitt will do the lawnmower and then he'll look over at his opponent with a mean dirty stare. That my friends, is why people in the locker room have a problem with our mate Lleyton and not with Rafa.

Max G.
07-16-2005, 08:05 PM
And if THAT is the difference between them - one has a reaction of looking at the opponent while the other looks away from the opponent - then that's about the most ludicrous readon to disrespect someone, ever.

The DIRECTION they look???? Sheesh, how much more nitpicky can you get...

cheecl
07-16-2005, 11:52 PM
And if THAT is the difference between them - one has a reaction of looking at the opponent while the other looks away from the opponent - then that's about the most ludicrous readon to disrespect someone, ever.

The DIRECTION they look???? Sheesh, how much more nitpicky can you get...
It's as nitpicky as fistpumping when when your opponent misses a putt in golf and when you sink a long one in yourself!

littlelleyton
07-17-2005, 12:40 AM
I had only seen a bit of this match but I did see the first set and it was high quality stuff. As for the behavior of these two guys, it doesn't surprise me. I don't like the way Hewitt or Coria behave on court. Hewitt's antics are clearly done to **** opponents off, nice guys like Chela and Blake have gotten rather angry at his behavior and its hard to imagine 2 nicer guys on tour than them. He has a history of chewing out linesmen and his attitude yesterday was poor. But when you get two guys like these on the court I must admit it makes for entertaining tennis. As for Coria he has this smug attitude that he's soo damn good and he whines when he's losing, even on grass which is his worst surface. He angered Agassi in Rome after he beat him, when Nadal beat him the second time in Rome he didn't even bother to shake hands until Rafa went over to his seat.

After the loss he was bitter, his throne of clay court king had been taken from him after a severe physical beating. So he says that he wants a piece of Rafa at the French, that's nice Gullermo but you have to make the final to do that. He ends up losing very meekly to Davydenko in the QF and his opportunity of holding up that trophy looks to be going away very quickly. He lost to Verkerk 2 yrs ago, lost to Gaudio last year and lost this year to Davydenko. Maybe the pressure is too much or he can't raise his game when facing opponents that are "on". With so many talented clay court players and Nadal on top of that, I really wonder if he'll ever hold up that championship trophy.

He's talented and has more variety to his game than Hewitt but he can't really hang with other players on faster surfaces. He can't absorb power players as good as Hewitt can. A quote he said after losing to Roddick in Wimby was "I would beat him if we were on clay" that's nice dude but he beat you on clay a couple of years ago as well if your memory is ok. I never heard Andy say "oh yeah Acasuso or Mutis, you got lucky that I didn't serve your pathetic journeymen butts off the court at the US Open or Wimbledon." For all the ripping Andy gets on these boards (really the whole entire anti-American sentiment here in general.) he's actually a sporting guy in defeat and is nowhere near as bad as these two bums (Hewitt/Coria) or even Nalbandian for that matter. He's another guy with a huge chip on his shoulder as well.

To the match, it was tough to say who's the one with more "reason" because Hewitt is a ***** and Coria is cocky and is a cry baby when things go wrong. I can't even root for either of them, I dislike them both. I'd slightly pick Hewitt because he works his butt off to win and in that lone manner I admire him. But nothing else.

he is that nice a guy that he spits, probably the most disgusting unsportsman like thing you can do in sports, at Lleyton during their match. no matter what an opponent does if he is that nice a guy but loses it that easy he is obviously not mentally fit to play the game. if players concentrated on their game as much as letting someone shouting c'mon maybe they would be able to perform a little better.

x Southpaw x
07-17-2005, 12:44 AM
It's as nitpicky as fistpumping when when your opponent misses a putt in golf and when you sink a long one in yourself!
LOL. Double fault to opponent! Hewitt-style fistpump! Do the victory King-Kong-style chest thumping! Wa-hahahaha. My gosh. Barbaric.

littlelleyton
07-17-2005, 12:57 AM
its clear to see that the non hewitt supporters use his intensity and the way he uses this to play heavily in the physiological part of the game to critise him. they are never going to be happy and take every chance to put him down and this is the sole problem they have with him, they dont like him. as a previous post said, do you hear Fed complaining or whining about the way Lleyton is, no totally opposite in his interview at Wimb. he said that Lleyton brings his own brand of tennis to the table and its good to have different styles in tennis. the fact that he has had the upper hand with Lleyton for so long now probably has someething to do with the way he deals with it but i think the people that have the most problem with him are people that cant beat him, its an excuse for the fact they lost. if the worst thing that happens in tennis is someone fist pumping and shouting c'mon then its not too bad. pe

cheecl
07-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Ah...but did you see that match that Lleyton played him at the Wimbeldon finals. He really behaved himself...wonder why???

littlelleyton
07-17-2005, 01:37 AM
Ah...but did you see that match that Lleyton played him at the Wimbeldon finals. He really behaved himself...wonder why???

im talking about wimbledon....this year! the point is still the fact that Fed has never used the way lleyton acts on court as an excuse, in the early days or whenever. that is all it is an excuse for opponents who lose to him mentally. when he interviews after a match he is honest and speaks his mind and gives credit where credit is due.
the people that dont like him use the fact he is an intense and open person to knock him when he wins and they obviously hate seeing him succeed
when he wins they pick at anything they can to knock him.

cheecl
07-17-2005, 01:42 AM
I meant lleyton really behaved himself during that match. I was a Hewitt supporter. I think he has great determination. But what he's up to nowadays is over the top. Bad role model for kids.

x Southpaw x
07-17-2005, 02:03 AM
im talking about wimbledon....this year! the point is still the fact that Fed has never used the way lleyton acts on court as an excuse, in the early days or whenever. that is all it is an excuse for opponents who lose to him mentally. when he interviews after a match he is honest and speaks his mind and gives credit where credit is due.
the people that dont like him use the fact he is an intense and open person to knock him when he wins and they obviously hate seeing him succeed
when he wins they pick at anything they can to knock him.
You do know that Federer barely shows any emotion at all during gameplay? When he grabs his racket, it's like he turned into a robot or a whole different person. When he wins a spectecular point or a set, he doesn't even cheer himself... almost totally emotionless. Only when he wins the whole match, does he release his tension and emotion.

In other words, he's different. Most people no matter how sturdy they are, usually show some relief or pride when they win a difficult point.

littlelleyton
07-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Lleyton really behaved himself???? what are you talking about, Lleyton this year at wimbledon against Fed was doing his usual c'mons and fist pumps, no different from any other match he plays in. the only difference was that Fed doesnt let that effect his game in any way. the players that let it get to them and then try to get into it are the matches that some people complain about getting out of hand. i dont expect any of the people that critise hewitt to actually be honest with why they dont like him and talk about the positives he brings to the game. as for role model i find it hard to hear in this day and age where sports stars all over the world are being caught using drugs, both for recreation and performance, are accussed of ****, being arrested for assult on fans in stands and a host of other things that make the headlines, people saying stars like Lleyton is a bad role model. he is a decicated pro who keeps himself to himself off the court.
people will always well the need to knock people like Lleyton due to the fact they dont like him

devila
07-17-2005, 02:06 AM
The so-called 2nd best player got butchered. Hewitt's the one making excuses constantly.
Disrespect is his middle name. Everytime he played a close match, win or lose, he claimed that he controlled the match.

The Federer trolls BELIEVE that Hewitt got beaten only by Federer!
barry's not here to proclaim him a superb talent alongside the perfect Federer.
Bad draws for Hewitt....on grass, his favorite surface and the Argentines' worst surface
LMFAO!! :)

I don't like boxing, but Rocky was a winner, not Hewitt.

littlelleyton
07-17-2005, 02:11 AM
You do know that Federer barely shows any emotion at all during gameplay? When he grabs his racket, it's like he turned into a robot or a whole different person. When he wins a spectecular point or a set, he doesn't even cheer himself... almost totally emotionless. Only when he wins the whole match, does he release his tension and emotion.

In other words, he's different. Most people no matter how sturdy they are, usually show some relief or pride when they win a difficult point.

did you see the wimb match Fed had with kiefer?? no emotions? i think not. the difference Fed has is that he has control of his emotions, not that he has no emotions. he doesnt let other players game bother him and gets on with it as he is mentally stronger.
people jump on the band wagon and put him down because they dont like him

devila
07-17-2005, 02:12 AM
Yeah right, Federer shows no emotion. Sure, that must be why he smirks when he loses serve as if to tell the TV cameras that the opponent has no right to beat him.
He can break serve 5 or 6 times and still declare that he played "mediocre." LMAO
Arrogant to the max.

littlelleyton
07-17-2005, 02:19 AM
The so-called 2nd best player got butchered. Hewitt's the one making excuses constantly.
Disrespect is his middle name. Everytime he played a close match, win or lose, he claimed that he controlled the match.

The Federer trolls BELIEVE that Hewitt got beaten only by Federer!
barry's not here to proclaim him a superb talent alongside the perfect Federer.
Bad draws for Hewitt....on grass, his favorite surface and the Argentines' worst surfaceLMFAO!! :)

I don't like boxing, but Rocky was a winner, not Hewitt.

sorry i thought nalbandian got to the final of wimbledon and was in the QF this year. not a bad surface for him.
well played to Nalb he played very well and deserved to win. Lleyton was flat and not on his game but take nothing away from the win he was better in all aspects in this match.

littlelleyton
07-17-2005, 02:21 AM
Yeah right, Federer shows no emotion. Sure, that must be why he smirks when he loses serve as if to tell the TV cameras that the opponent has no right to beat him.
He can break serve 5 or 6 times and still declare that he played "mediocre." LMAO
Arrogant to the max.

this is exactly what im talking about, not jsut with Lleyton but Fed, A-Rodd anyone else. when people decide that they dont like a player they jump on whatever they can to put them down. negative people that will never jsut appreicate good quality tennis.

devila
07-17-2005, 02:43 AM
Nalbandian was crushed by Thomas Johansson on grass. Next time, Hewitt shouldn't open his mouth about being 2nd best just because he values head to head records like he worships God. He doesn't want proof that he's 4th or 5th best.
His immature opponents are gradually improving their games and he keeps denying that they'll beat him even after they lost several times.

littlelleyton
07-17-2005, 02:55 AM
whatever its clear that nalbandian played better and desreved to win this match and it should be him that we are talking about. hewitt said that he didnt play well enough to win so get over it. whilst you you continue to knock hewitt you are taking the gloss of a performance of Nalb. he played the good tennis today and it should be him that is being credited not hewitt getting knocked, but it would be too much to ask that people concentrate on the tennis thats played people like you are to interested in putting players down than appreciate the positives in tennis....

edberg505
07-17-2005, 03:31 AM
you know, I used to like Lleyton until the infamous U.S. Open James Blake incident. And every year he's gotten worse. He even yells at a linesmen after he's been called for a foot fault as if he thinks the linesman is cheating him. I sooooo love seeing him play Fed and now Karlovic as Karlovic has his number as well. I wonder how many times he has yelled common when he's played Dr. Ivo. And as for Lleyton yelling coming when he played Fed this year in Wimby, that's a utter and complete lie. If he yelled common during that match, it sure as hell wasn't a yell. I didn't hear a peep out of Lleyton during that whole match. The guy is an assbag plain and simple.

Fedubai
07-17-2005, 03:49 AM
Devila, I thought that this thread was about Hewitt/Coria and their match/antics. I must be missing something. ;)

The point is, Federer doesn't let this stuff from Hewitt bother him much, and you will not hear him make excuses about how Hewitt acts. In fact, Federer supported Hewitt, very much so, down in Australia this year along with about ONE other tour player, when everybody else and their brother was ripping Hewitt to shreds about his 'behavior'. Why is this? He doesn't let it bother him much. He focuses on his own game and beats Hewitt with tennis, not with mocking, stupid gestures, and attempts to show him who is boss as they walk by during changeovers.

I don't fancy the chances of a player that attempts to beat Hewitt with anything other than tennis and heart. That pretty much sums it up right there, for me at least.

cheecl
07-17-2005, 03:49 AM
Agree with you totally Edberg505. Guess Federer didn't make enough mistakes for Hewitt to celebrate...probably why Hewitt was less noisy than usual that match...

andrew_slattery
07-17-2005, 04:13 AM
I was at the match today and thought that Nalbandian played very well. He deserved his victory over Hewitt. Today proved how mentally tough Nalbandian really is. I think hewitt came out onto the court with alot of nerves - all due to being 2-1 down on matches , as well as his controversial comments about the Argentinian team made on friday.

From watching Coria play on Friday (vs Hewitt) and Today (Sunday - vs Luczak), i can honestly say that he is a very good sport on the court. He even made jokes with the 'fanatics' (the unmistakable group of Australian supporters who wear bright yellow and green and chant songs and support), and thanked them for the atmosphere they brought to the 5 matches after the match today.

splink779
07-17-2005, 06:51 AM
Here's my 2 cents - Hewitt doesn't resort to his antics against Federer and maybe a select few others because he knows that he has to play out of his mind to beat his opponenet, who he is most likely to lose to. It is the respect factor.

Then there are the opponents who he expects to beat and has absolutely no respect for - Coria, Chela, Roddick, etc

Even if you think or even know that you are a better player, you must respect others, as this is professional tennis after all.

Count Grishnackh
07-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Hewitt fistpumping against Federer at this year's Wimbledon? I have a tape of that match and I also watched it live and there was absolutely no sign of fistpumping or c'mon's for that matter, that's just a pure lie. Anyway, Hewitt obviously doesn't need to do loud c'mon's to "play" better since he has beaten great players like Sampras without having to resort to such "tactics". Everybody check out this week's issue of Tennis Week with Venus on the cover and read near the end of the magazine Joel Drucker's article about Lleyton Hewitt and he'll confirm what we've been trying to say all along. He mentioned how Hewitt almost never does the loud c'mon against opponents he can't beat. Against players he knows he can defeat he'll do it, it's apparently not enough for him to beat his inferior opponent but to **** him off on purpose to top it off. Just classless and plain immature. I like Hewitt playing style since it leads to good matches and it's exciting, but if he just stopped doing the annoying childish behavior I'd be on his side. Sorry, but if he keeps acting like that I can't cheer for it. I'd give him a chance but his attitude disappoints me. I'll take Roger, Rafa, Juan Carlos, Andy and Marat any day.

littlelleyton
07-17-2005, 11:11 AM
then you need to watch the match again. Lleyton might not have been doing it as much as he was pretty much on the back foot but they were there. like ive said already in this thread we should be taking about Nalb and how well he played, but that is obvioulsy past the mentality of most of you that want to spend your time putting Lleyton down. its old news, people dont like Lleyton thats fine get over yourselves and talk but something new, like the prospect of the next round in Davis Cup.

littlelleyton
07-17-2005, 11:15 AM
and as for the article Joel wrote, it has been discussed on another thread at lenght and the majority of people agree that it is written in a childish and condecending way by someone that obviously holds a grudge with LLeyton.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Maybe Lleyton senses that his overrespect(possably)for Federer does not help him when they play, so it is better, especially vs opponents, that while he may respect, he thinks he definitely can beat, to take a very hard edged approach to the match.

merovingian
07-17-2005, 07:48 PM
I find it quite amazing how people harp on and on about Hewitt celebrating his opponent's errors. My 2 cents is that it's not about whether he does or doesn't celebrate on their errors, it's really the nature of his celebration. ie. The guy frequently acts like an idiot. I mean, any well-adjusted adult has got to cringe when he does the lawnmower.

That said, whether it's his opponent's error or not, the fact is that Hewitt has won the point. He's entitled to celebrate it (although it would be preferable if it was more of a meek Tiger Tim style of fist pump :-) ). If his opponent can't handle it, they really don't have the mindset to succeed at professional sports.

As for Coria, he clearly brought a lot of mental baggage to that match. He was just itching for Hewitt to pull out a c'mon so that he could start his own carry own. For me, it was clear that Coria's actions were pre-meditated. For that reason alone, the match was as good as lost before it even began.

devila
07-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Hewitt's not entertaining but he really thinks the Australians love him for acting like he's a brilliant fighter screaming and kissing the ground.
Die hard fans love it, not most people. Who really thinks Hewitt has no problem
beating the top 10 players? Just because you dislike Roddick or Nalbandian doesn't mean that Hewitt's superior to them. Roddick and Nalbandian aren't physically fit and dedicated to training like Hewitt is.
Don't expect Hewitt and Federer to glide easily through tournaments in 2 years.
It's incredibly boring with the constant butt kissing they get from commentators.

RiosTheGenius
07-17-2005, 10:01 PM
I think Lleyton is great for the game...... his tennis and his attitude. we need stuff like that. it'd be so boring without people like him. go Lleyton!.

ctbmar
07-18-2005, 12:57 AM
I just let Federer cream Hewitt, just makes me real happy.
Go Federer, keep destroying Hewitt...make it 20 wins in a row.
Hewitt is just a jackass, childish swine that uses psychological warfare...cheering at opponent's mistakes is such a gutless thing to do.
He just thankful that tennis is protected by a net and an impartial empire.
If he does that in Rugby or other contact sports, he definitely will get stamped on or elbowed or punched. I dare Hewitt to ask Karlovic to come to the net, and then he shouts "Come-on", do the inverted palm action, right in front of Karlovic's face or any tall, big tennis player's face. Dont hide behind the baseline and have all the court to protect him, just go right to the opponent and do his monkey business when his opponent is resting at the change-over chairs. Then I will say Hewitt got the guts.

I just let Nadal cream Coria, just makes me real glad. Coria just a cry baby, so small and puny. Soreloser and does not admit defeat in grace.

littlelleyton
07-18-2005, 01:00 AM
i think that the last few comments have been pretty fair. i can appreciate how people do not like the style that Lleyton brings but tennis needs differenct personalities just like another sport and like i said earlier too much time and effort gets spent by people critising lleyton or Fed etc for stuff other than the tennis they play. there has not been any mention of how he actually played against Nalb but just about his attitude etc. maybe the supposed tennis fans need to concentrate more on the tennis being played just as they are suggesting Lleyton does

Yours!05
07-18-2005, 01:12 AM
...there has not been any mention of how he actually played against Nalb... He had 2 bad days. It happens. It is his heart-stopping habit to take the 3rd set off, after which comes the big fightback. Usually. In this respect he's like Cash.
Having just been in the "retire early" thread, it did cross my mind there might be a distracting in-laws/wedding plans stoush going on. Post-match he seemed mystified by what happened.

littlelleyton
07-18-2005, 01:25 AM
it was more directed to the people that had chose to critise his "antics" than talk about tennis performance but i think you made a valid point
yea i wonder too but i have to say that if all that was on his mind he is experienced anough to black that out when playing. i think he was just out played on the day and great credit goes to Nalb who played fantastic. i also thought that maybe all this came too soon to Lleyton after being injuried for so long, but again someone as professional as Lleyton should have been prepared. in the end i think he was beaten by the better tennis player on the day.

Yours!05
07-18-2005, 01:30 AM
i think he was just out played on the day and great credit goes to Nalb who played fantastic. i also thought that maybe all this came too soon to Lleyton after being injuried for so long, but again someone as professional as Lleyton should have been prepared. in the end i think he was beaten by the better tennis player on the day.Yes indeed.

Count Grishnackh
07-18-2005, 04:19 AM
I have no problem with the way he plays, his game is fun to watch and he's a great player. I don't mind intensity but I don't appreciate that crazy stuff done when opponents make simple errors and he's yelling his mouth off with weird lawnmowers, the vhischt thingie and then giving the guy that "intimidating" stare. It's been an issue with him since the day he came out on tour. He was even worse back in 1999-2000 when he'd do a c'mon after the first point! Now there will be a couple of players in the locker room that won't like another certain player. Some of it is probably under cover of darkness and never comes out in public but when it's publicized by a good amount of players, especially the ones with good reputations of being sportmanlike. When they have a problem with his behavior then there is something to that. I can say that someone who was intense but didn't rub it on other's faces was Courier. Today I'd say Costa and Ferrero. They play intense games without having to do all that stuff after the point.

Just put yourself in the situation. You're playing a retriever, you hit a double fault and he's yelling to the sky and then giving you a dirty stare on top of that, please don't tell me that wouldn't want to make you go over the net and strangle him. I can understand Coria's and other players gripes with that childish attitude, that's the kind of stuff I used to see in high school, but not grown men. He's not a teenager anymore, he's going to be a dad and married soon, grow up on the court as well fella.

lagranwilly
07-18-2005, 05:01 AM
I just let Federer cream Hewitt, just makes me real happy.
Go Federer, keep destroying Hewitt...make it 20 wins in a row.
Hewitt is just a jackass, childish swine that uses psychological warfare...cheering at opponent's mistakes is such a gutless thing to do.
He just thankful that tennis is protected by a net and an impartial empire.
If he does that in Rugby or other contact sports, he definitely will get stamped on or elbowed or punched. I dare Hewitt to ask Karlovic to come to the net, and then he shouts "Come-on", do the inverted palm action, right in front of Karlovic's face or any tall, big tennis player's face.

Totally agree...Hewitt shows no respect for the other players,he doesn't behave as a professional sportsman...I'm a rugby player and I can support that idea that in other sports,where contact between oponents is common and important,the sportsmanship grows.There are some rules between sportsmen,some 'codes' hewitt doesn't respect.He wouldn't last a second in a rugby match.He behaves like a prima donna,very childish and girlish.Personally I would beat his ugly face if I play against him and I see this histerical attitude

littlelleyton
07-18-2005, 05:41 AM
I have no problem with the way he plays, his game is fun to watch and he's a great player. I don't mind intensity but I don't appreciate that crazy stuff done when opponents make simple errors and he's yelling his mouth off with weird lawnmowers, the vhischt thingie and then giving the guy that "intimidating" stare. It's been an issue with him since the day he came out on tour. He was even worse back in 1999-2000 when he'd do a c'mon after the first point! Now there will be a couple of players in the locker room that won't like another certain player. Some of it is probably under cover of darkness and never comes out in public but when it's publicized by a good amount of players, especially the ones with good reputations of being sportmanlike. When they have a problem with his behavior then there is something to that. I can say that someone who was intense but didn't rub it on other's faces was Courier. Today I'd say Costa and Ferrero. They play intense games without having to do all that stuff after the point.

Just put yourself in the situation. You're playing a retriever, you hit a double fault and he's yelling to the sky and then giving you a dirty stare on top of that, please don't tell me that wouldn't want to make you go over the net and strangle him. I can understand Coria's and other players gripes with that childish attitude, that's the kind of stuff I used to see in high school, but not grown men. He's not a teenager anymore, he's going to be a dad and married soon, grow up on the court as well fella.

i have been in that situation week in week out. there are players in leagues, clubs and tournemnts all over the world that act a certain way. if you double fault then they can do what they wan, im more concerned with what im doing rather than getting invovled with what my opponent is doing. the only time i get involve with my opponent is if there is something with line calls.
do you think coria was in the correct frame of mind to be playing a davis cup match, as mentioned before it was as if he was waiting for soemthing to happen so he could react. as far as im concerned there are too many people that are concerned with 101 factors in tennis rather than getting on with their own game. Lleyton is a character of tennis, a character that tennis needs, just as Borg, Mac, Becker,Agassi etc and a world class talent just as the rest of the ATP tour guys. they play tennis at a level that we can only dream off. for once get over complaining about how certain players are arrogant, ignorant childish or whatever and try to enjoy the tennis they play. without these characters tennis would be bland and boring. the tennis the play should be talked about more than how fans view their behaviour.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-18-2005, 11:13 AM
It sounds like Hewitt did not play his best vs Nalbandian, Nalbandian is a tough customer though; I always expect their matches these days to be tough battles, nothing like their 2002 Wimbledon final; unless Lleyton is having a blazing day of sorts.
Maybe his heart was set on other things, like his romanctic life, but that would seem unlike him. That is what the Australian news clippings I have read have said though.

xanctus
07-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Just a couple of little guys with small man syndrome.Sure, at least Coria is not making any racist comment just like hewitt did right? as I recall...hewiit made a quite symbolic comment to the umpire when he was against James Blake in US open. (correct me if I'm wrong)