PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Dent

Ken.Knight
07-14-2005, 08:25 PM
I've been watching the guy occasionally and...

Even from my limited viewpoint, he doesn't have a lot going for him.

He's got a big cannon serve. A typically inconsistent cannon serve. Then, for the most part, it looks extremely flat, too. He's not giving himself much time to get to net.

Which I think is the main reason people call him "lazy" at the net. He's not giving himself time, and gets in too many awkward positions.

Not to mention the faces he makes when he hits the ball, but I dunno if it hurts his game. ;) Hurts my eyes, though.

So while I love how he moves to net...I don't think he's going very far. What HAS Dent done? He doesn't seem to really stand out.

splink779
07-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Biggest accomplishments this year were beating Hewitt and Safin. Sure he may never win a slam but he is the 3rd ranked american I beleive and is always fun to watch. By the way he is very comfortable and natural at the net.

Ken.Knight
07-14-2005, 09:02 PM
He does seem comfortable at times, but I seemed to see him fumbling around a bit.

He beat Safin? I never knew. I'll have to look into the match. Hewitt, too. I guess I'm uneducated, lol.

TEAMRAFA
07-14-2005, 09:51 PM
almost won the bronze at the olympics too...

dent is a good guy. over the past year ive become more of a fan. he doesn't take himself to seriously. and who doesn't enjoy a serve and volleyer nowadays? too bad you dont see more of him ... he needs some tiiiitlessss

Junkball
07-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Too many people love to put this guy down.
I saw him interviewed during Wimby and this is a man with class-super nice.

Ken.Knight
07-14-2005, 09:57 PM
I saw the Wimby interview as well. He came off nice and responsive, seemed to be a great guy.

I'm just questioning if he's going to get any results again, or start climbing the rankings more. I love his tennis, I just wish he could do more with it.

sedwickdotcom
07-14-2005, 11:10 PM
too bad hes more of a beat the he ll out of his server than an actual s-and-v-er

goober
07-15-2005, 05:26 AM
I don't think he is going any further than what he has shown. He is a player that will be in the 20-50 range for rankings. He has won 4 singles titles and probably will win another 5-10 more titles before he is done. When his game is on he can beat anybody, but you can say that about a lot of players in the top 50. I think he is dong pretty well for himself since he doesn't have top10 talent and he plays a very difficult style against modern players.

Babblelot
07-15-2005, 05:30 AM
I'm pullin' for the guy. Have been a fan since I saw him at a challenger tourney in Chicago when he was 18. But the dude's never shown he's committed to getting fit. At 195#, his results continue to disappoint.

verdasco67
07-15-2005, 06:24 AM
ginepri is not getting any results either....his rank is going down and down and down.........currently at #100

Babblelot
07-15-2005, 06:39 AM
ginepri is not getting any results either....his rank is going down and down and down.........currently at #100
Yeah, he must be hurt based on his results. Kind of like all the male Americans--Spadea, Ginepri, Blake, Fish--all had good (even great, in Mardy's case) 2003/04 years, then all seem to have been bitten by the injury bug at the same time.

joe sch
07-15-2005, 07:39 AM
He does seem comfortable at times, but I seemed to see him fumbling around a bit.

He beat Safin? I never knew. I'll have to look into the match. Hewitt, too. I guess I'm uneducated, lol.

I agree with your self assessment :)
Taylor is having a good year and it is surprising you are picking on him instead of Fish, Blake or some of the other American dissapointments.

For 2005 :
23 - 12, Singles Finalist: Adelaide Semifinalist: Nottingham Quarterfinalist: ATP Masters Series Miami, Sydney, Marseille

Not too bad and the hard court season is just starting.
Great start Taylor !
Im looking forward to more exciting S/V tennis and wins on the hard courts and especially the USO ...

Babblelot
07-15-2005, 07:52 AM
I agree with your self assessment :)
Taylor is having a good year...
Im looking forward to more exciting S/V tennis and wins on the hard courts and especially the USO
For that reason, I picked/expected him to beat Hewitt at Wimbledon. With his huge serve and S&V game, he's athletic enough to beat Hewitt on grass. Just not fit enough, IMO. For that reason, I find a 4R result at W. disappointing.

araghava
07-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Unfortunately he's playing at the wrong time. For Dent to be successfull he needs to play on fast to super fast courts. In the 80's and 90's both grass and indoor carpet used to be extremely fast and condusive to serve and volley play. These days wimbledon actaully plays slower that the us open and indoor carpet has also been slowed down significantly. Given these conditions, i don't think Dent has a hope of becoming a top 10 player. Infact i would go so far as to say that given today's conditions Edberg and Becker also would not have been very successfull.

TheRed
07-15-2005, 11:00 AM
yeah, I pull for him too. I'm surprised at how nice and humble he is considering he grew up as a big prospect and a fairly famous dad. I met him once, in a pro shop in SoCal, when he sold me a pair of barricades. Yep, that's right. I went in the shop and someone said, "you need help with anything?" I was like "yeah" and then I looked up. After taking 10 secs to gather myself, I was like "aren't you Taylor Dent" All he said was "yeah" and proceeded to tell me about the barricades. Great guy.

FedererUberAlles
07-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Dent could be good, he just doesn't work hard enough IMHO.

Max G.
07-15-2005, 11:22 AM
I don't think he is going any further than what he has shown. He is a player that will be in the 20-50 range for rankings. He has won 4 singles titles and probably will win another 5-10 more titles before he is done. When his game is on he can beat anybody, but you can say that about a lot of players in the top 50. I think he is dong pretty well for himself since he doesn't have top10 talent and he plays a very difficult style against modern players.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think the best he can hope for is to have one great run and win a TMS.

daniel_rst
07-15-2005, 12:03 PM

I tend to disagree with you on this. I think he is absolutely top 10 material. In fact, I think he has more raw talent than Andy Roddick, and certainly more than guys like Davydenko and Canas (both currently top-10). The poor guy has been quite plagued by injuries (some of which may admittedly be the result of insufficient training) which seem to strike him down whenever he gets on a roll.

Right now, I consider him the 2nd best serve and volley player on the tour, behind Henman. He certainly is a bigger threat on average than guys like Ancic, Karlovic, Arthurs, Mirnyi, and even Rusedski. He doesn't need a particularly fast surface to win. He beat Safin on the very slow hard courts of Indian Wells this year, an match I watched in person. For a guy Dent's size, he is very nible and very coordinated. He also puts a lot of pressure on his opponents serve by chipping and charging. By the way, in the next round he got food poisoning and had to forfeit. Go figure.

Anyway, the guy is not that old and has a number of good years on the tour left as long as his back holds up. He is around #30 in the entry rankings right now. I would not be at all surpised to see him finish in the top ten at least once in his career.