PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Takes A Hit in WA

kimbahpnam
12-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Last week I posted that LA Fitness bought out Bally Fitness. Today I found out that starting December 8th, they're shutting down the tennis programs (+ clubs altogether) in 3 major Bally clubs: 6 courts in Tacoma, 6 courts in Olympia, and 3 in Federal Way (already shut down 3 a couple years) = 15 total indoor courts in about a 45 mile radius. This also means they're getting rid of all the USTA league teams associated with these clubs. They all had a long history of junior programs and tournaments that's been around for decades which I grew up in. Eff LA Fitness

El Diablo
12-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Try not to take somebody else's business decisions so personally. Several indoor tennis facilities in a short driving range of my home have closed in recent years, and the place everyone considers the best and busiest, with 10 indoor Har-Tru courts, opened this season with four of those courts converted to an indoor soccer/multi-purpose sort of gym floor. People are playing less tennis, and nobody can rationally blame business owners for reducing the number of courts.

thug the bunny
12-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Well then Eff everyone who doesn't play tennis.

j00dypoo
12-02-2011, 09:05 AM
statistically, aren't more people playing tennis in america?

El Diablo
12-02-2011, 09:10 AM
^^
1) numbers I've seen are pretty flat.
2) even if there were more people, the elderly population is the fastest growing segment of the population, and they likely play less often and for shorter lengths of time.
3) given the nature of the economy, I imagine fewer people are playing at places where one has to pay. My private summer club used to have a waiting list, was recruiting members this past summer.

travlerajm
12-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Really sad. I learned to play at the FW club.

Fifth Set
12-02-2011, 09:49 AM
This is actually kind of worrisome.

It's one thing that municipal governments don't build or maintain tennis courts as much anymore. I get that many of them don't have any money, can't figure out simple ways to charge for the courts, etc. I also don't care for the antics that go on at alot of public courts (misbehavior, dogs brought on courts, etc.).

But, when private enterprise kills off tennis, that's a pretty bad sign for those of us willing to "pay to play." If this is a sign of things to come and it's just hard to find places hit, then what? Sit around watching the NBA milk its fans while getting fat like the rest of America?!

ollinger
12-02-2011, 10:00 AM
^ lot's of ways to control your weight! I've noticed the price of gyms has come down in my area as there seems to be more companies competing. Tennis will be available, though the price may increase (especially indoors, where heat is very costly due to very high ceilings).

CCNM
12-02-2011, 01:04 PM
That's really sad for the tennis players, both the competitive and recreational ones. :(

travlerajm
12-02-2011, 02:41 PM
On the bright side for Seattle tennis, my bro is building a 10-court high class public indoor tennis facility that is scheduled to open by end of next year at Magnuson park.

http://www.seattletenniscenter.com/

r2473
12-02-2011, 02:55 PM
^ lot's of ways to control your weight! I've noticed the price of gyms has come down in my area as there seems to be more companies competing. Tennis will be available, though the price may increase (especially indoors, where heat is very costly due to very high ceilings).

I talked to two different places in my city that do bubbles for the winter. They claim the goal is to try to break even. They feel they are pricing the court time as high as they can and it often won't cover costs (depends on how cold the winter is).

Bubbles suck too. Noisy (echos), horible lighting, and they usually set the temperature just above ambient, so the ball barely bounces.

Thank god for the University courts. Dirt cheat ($8/hour so singles are $4 each; doubles $2 each). The only complaint I have is that they make it too hot in the winter (seriously), but I guess that's not so bad :)

Man, I love these places that don't need to be concerned about making a profit (or even breaking even). I want to thank all the students and taxpayers and the generous continued donation from the eccles foundation for funding my winter tennis.

j00dypoo
12-03-2011, 05:04 AM
man that sounds annoying for all of you to find places to play. I must be jaded and lucky b/c in atlanta (and metro area) there are probably at least 10 courts per every square mile. Public parks, public and private tennis centers, private neighborhood tennis courts... I've never played indoors once in my life either.