PDA

View Full Version : No way do I see Nadal winning the U.S open!

federerhoogenbandfan
07-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Just wanted to state right now, there is absolutely no way I could see Nadal winning the U.S open this year; since I am sure there is going to be alot of overhype about it. I am pretty much certain it wont happen though. Federer is 75% likely to win it, atleast; but Roddick, Safin, Hewitt, and Agassi, all have shots at it if Roger is upset in an early round. It wont be Nadal though.

Ash Doyle
07-15-2005, 08:24 AM
I don't think he'll win it either, but to be honest I think he has a better chance than you think. His game does work quite well on hardcourts. I think Federer has the best chance of winning, followed by Roddick and Hewitt; but I'd place Nadal in a group just slightly behind those two.

efice32
07-15-2005, 08:25 AM
1. Federer
2. Roddick
3. Safin
4. Nadal
5. Hewitt

Fastwhiteboy08
07-15-2005, 08:26 AM
i think the odds are against nadal this year, though he has shown he can play. i think he does have a fair chance of winning it, if he hasnt already beaten federer on harcourt, which i think he has, he has come pretty darn close. i think he is a huge threat to anyone that plays him.

Babblelot
07-15-2005, 08:26 AM
I'd be surprised if objective posters would disagree.

He better hope he doesn't draw Roddick again. I was at the 2004 USO Roddick-Nadal match when Andy fired a 153mph serve at Nadal's head. Rafa hit the deck. Pretty damn funny. I'm sure Andy hasn't forgotten. ;)

federerhoogenbandfan
07-15-2005, 08:27 AM
1. Federer
------------
huge gap
-----------
2. Hewitt
3. Roddick
4. Agassi
----------
another huge gap
-----------
5. Safin
6. Johansson(either one)
7. the other
8. Nadal

federerhoogenbandfan
07-15-2005, 08:29 AM
The courts at Nasdaq were slower than they have ever been, according to everybody I have talked to, and watching the play it was pretty apparent too. David Ferrer being in the semis pretty much is proof enough of that for me, imagine David Ferrer in a U.S open semifinal. ROTFL!!!!!!

splink779
07-15-2005, 08:35 AM
How could you not put Hewitt at #2? Here's my list

1. Federer
2. Hewitt
3. Safin
4. Nadal
5. Agassi

Yeah, thats right, Roddick isn't even on the list.

Max G.
07-15-2005, 11:15 AM
You know, here's my list [mostly ripped off a previous poster]

1. Federer
------------
huge gap
-----------
2. Hewitt
3. Roddick
----------
gap
----------
4. Agassi
----------
another huge gap
-----------
5. Nadal
---------
gap
--------
everyone else

And Safin?

Well... I think I'm going to be cheeky and say that since no real number can accurately assess where Safin stands compared to everyone else, he's just so unpredictable, I'm assigning him a complex number -

1+i ) Safin

rhubarb
07-15-2005, 11:18 AM
And Safin?

Well... I think I'm going to be cheeky and say that since no real number can accurately assess where Safin stands compared to everyone else, he's just so unpredictable, I'm assigning him a complex number -

1+i ) Safin

LOL - that suits Marat very well :)

Tennis312
07-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Though I wish it were otherwise, Agassi cannot be seriously considered a threat at the Open this year. His results were flagging even before his injury flared.

daniel_rst
07-15-2005, 12:23 PM
And Safin?

1+i ) Safin

Thanks, Max. You made my day. Just when I was lamenting to myself about the poor quality of 90% of the posts here, you go and write one of the wittiest things I read in weeks.

ShooterMcMarco
07-15-2005, 01:46 PM
an agassi nadal semi or quarter would be cool to watch, or nadal hewitt

Christopher
07-15-2005, 02:07 PM
I WANT Juan Carlos Ferrero to win it. Just an absolutely superb tennis player. When on top form (not often enough im afraid to say) id say the only person who can beat him is Federer.

Dont count out Nadal. That heavy topspin will be far more effective on hardcourst than grass, and his pace with come in a lot of handy.

gugafanatic
07-15-2005, 02:23 PM
I WANT Juan Carlos Ferrero to win it. Just an absolutely superb tennis player. When on top form (not often enough im afraid to say) id say the only person who can beat him is Federer.

Dont count out Nadal. That heavy topspin will be far more effective on hardcourst than grass, and his pace with come in a lot of handy.

JCF played some terrific tennis at Wimbledon matching Fed toe to toe from the baseline in a tightly contested 3-set match. He was probably Feds toughest opponent although not apparent from the scoreline. Furthermore he held matchpoints against Fed at Dubai soo the signs for playing his best tennis on fast surfaces are good.

Christopher
07-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Thats what I posted on another board.

Basically, I said the best tennis of the tournament cam from the JCF vs. Fed match.

The speed they were hitting it, consistently, and the placement.

I was absolutely flabbergasted.

Boy Wonder
07-15-2005, 03:22 PM
The courts at Nasdaq were slower than they have ever been, according to everybody I have talked to, and watching the play it was pretty apparent too. David Ferrer being in the semis pretty much is proof enough of that for me, imagine David Ferrer in a U.S open semifinal. ROTFL!!!!!!

Have the courts at the USO slowed up also? I read that the USO series and USO courts will be DecoTurf II or Plexipave, both the same. I don't know how the new US Open courts play, but the new resurfaced hard courts I play on here play noticeably slower, at least to me. The rallies I get here can get longer nowadays, as in claycourt type rallies.

I see Nadal's game prevailing now on this surface. Like someone has mentioned, his safe, heavy topspin style is much more suited to this surface than grass, and no more worries about losing his footing like on grass, though sad to say no more sliding :( Assuming the courts have slowed up, guys like Roddick should not worry him as much, but those players are probably the most dangerous players for Nadal. Even claycourters like Ferrero have had success at the USO when it was not yet resurfaced like this year.

The Miami masters surface is slower than other hard courts, and Nadal reached the finals there, taking Federer to five sets. I can't believe all these people who have no belief in Nadal succeeding at the USO. Another argument could be that he is playing too much on these clay courts, but I think those two masters events he's playing in Montreal and Cincinatti will be warm-up enough.

iscottius
07-15-2005, 07:05 PM
nadal has as good a chance as anybody outside of federer. I would love to see Nadal vs. Roddick at uso

Exile
07-15-2005, 08:30 PM
1. Federer
------------
huge gap
-----------
2. Hewitt
3. Roddick
4. Agassi
----------
another huge gap
-----------
5. Safin
6. Johansson(either one)
7. the other
8. Nadal

Pwnt
GG no RE thx.

So true, so true.

Junkball
07-15-2005, 08:46 PM
I think the US Open will be the most exciting tourny this year.
Can't wait to see how Agassi will do...

Christopher
07-15-2005, 11:36 PM
If Agassi reachs the quarters ill be impressed TBH.

obackvalobasha
07-16-2005, 04:21 AM
Im going to be working at the USOPEN This year selling hats and t shirts !!