PDA

View Full Version : Should we all go Gluten-Free ?

OddJack
12-03-2011, 10:03 AM
That's the title of a NYT article, which, not surprisingly, features Novak Djokovic. I am not sure if it really answers the question, but it seems like the gluten free diet is going main stream. There is a growing market for gluten free products.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/magazine/Should-We-All-Go-Gluten-Free.html?pagewanted=all

AtomicForehand
12-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Answer: Yes.

Actually, going entirely wheat-free is really the key. The body of science showing this is growing every month.

purge
12-03-2011, 10:25 AM
no way. ill never let anyone take my original spätzle from me

single_handed_champion
12-03-2011, 10:32 AM
No way. Tastes utterly horrible. No wonder Djokovic is looking like someone stole his lolly.

Homeboy Hotel
12-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Am I going to be a world class tennis player? No.

So, no. I'll enjoy my pasta, cake, bread and all the rest. And I'll do whatever I can burning that off by playing medocre club-level tennis.

AtomicForehand
12-03-2011, 11:01 AM

So, no. I'll enjoy my pasta, cake, bread and all the rest. And I'll do whatever I can burning that off by playing medocre club-level tennis.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but while you're enjoying your pasta, cake, bread, and all the rest, you can also enjoy all the diseases that wheat/gluten consumption is linked to: diabetes, various cancers, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, obesity, syndrome X...

All these diseases have skyrocketed in frequency of occurrence in the last two generations, particularly in the last one. All correlated with increased wheat consumption and the genetic modifications made to the wheat plant to ensure greater yields.

Seriously--look into it; you will be dismayed.

Homeboy Hotel
12-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Sorry to be a party pooper, but while you're enjoying your pasta, cake, bread, and all the rest, you can also enjoy all the diseases that wheat/gluten consumption is linked to: diabetes, various cancers, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, obesity, syndrome X...

All these diseases have skyrocketed in frequency of occurrence in the last two generations, particularly in the last one. All correlated with increased wheat consumption and the genetic modifications made to the wheat plant to ensure greater yields.

At the end of the day, everything you eat or do will kill you. I could die worrying about eating too much or too little of something. I'll (seriously) check it out. But you better get on your bike and notify 95% of the population who also consume pasta, cake and/or bread.

What principles do I stand by? Eat everything. But all in moderation (Unless you're some form of world-class athlete, then naturally gets more complex)

DjokovicForTheWin
12-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Not just gluten free, not even just wheat free. But complex carb free! Only thence will humanity flourish optimally.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-03-2011, 11:43 AM
At the end of the day, everything you eat or do will kill you. I could die worrying about eating too much or too little of something. I'll (seriously) check it out. But you better get on your bike and notify 95% of the population who also consume pasta, cake and/or bread.

What principles do I stand by? Eat everything. But all in moderation (Unless you're some form of world-class athlete, then it naturally gets more complex)

Does that also mean eat heterocyclic amine laced bbq meat moderately? Which is of course under the umbrella of everything.

Homeboy Hotel
12-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Does that also mean eat heterocyclic amine laced bbq meat moderately? Which is of course under the umbrella of everything.

http://eu.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/djma/djma0903/djma090300055/4437494-senior-business-team-with-a-young-female-worker-giving-thumbs-up-sign-they-are-all-laughing-hard.jpg

El Diablo
12-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Much hysteria, AtomicForehand, but not much truthful information. For people who don't have gluten sensitivity, no clear health benefits of going gluten-free have been established. No causal relationship to the diseases you mention. For example, Ulcerative Colitis is not thought to be in any way caused by wheat intake, and the increase in prevalence of UC, not that great actually, is attributed to the development in the 1960s of colonoscopy, which has greatly increased survival of UC patients and also allowed more of them to reproduce (there is a genetic component to the disease, particularly among Askenazic Jews).

sureshs
12-03-2011, 12:07 PM

That is more like it

DjokovicForTheWin
12-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Playing mediocre level club tennis simply works up an appetite after burning off those calories. There is no net gain.

nikdom
12-03-2011, 12:44 PM
That's the title of a NYT article, which, not surprisingly, features Novak Djokovic. I am not sure if it really answers the question, but it seems like the gluten free diet is going main stream. There is a growing market for gluten free products.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/magazine/Should-We-All-Go-Gluten-Free.html?pagewanted=all

I read that article a few days ago and the title is very misleading. Most of it is dedicated to how sufferers of celiac disease are now finding more options in store aisles thanks to food companies. Nowhere does it actually say why any of this is good for the general populace.

Just because there is a growing market for something doesn't make it good. More like a fad.

There are many people in this world who have allergies to everything from peanuts, dairy, seafood to apparently wheat.

I'm not one of them. I'm going to go dip my bread in olive oil and munch now if you don't mind! Ciao.

gregor.b
12-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Well after 42 years of eating the same foods, all of which are NOT gluten free, I got a CT scan and blow me down,I and all my organs and bowels,are as healthy as anyone my doctor has ever seen. Until or if it becomes an issue,I will go for LESS processed foods,not more. Kids and adults alike sitting on lounges/couches aren't going to be healthy no matter what they eat as they do no exercise. As the above post says,it is not for everyone.

namelessone
12-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Unless you are allergic to gluten, who gives a flying f**k?

sureshs
12-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Playing mediocre level club tennis simply works up an appetite after burning off those calories. There is no net gain.

That is not true. You do lose weight overall due to increased metabolism. It depends on what/how much you eat to satisfy the appetite.

nikdom
12-03-2011, 01:01 PM
These 'perfect' diets keep popping up every decade. There is no such thing. Humanity has existed and thrived on different diets in varied environments. Its what makes us a succesful species.

If one stays close to what one's genetic heredity is most adapted to, one should be fine. There is no one universally perfect diet.

namelessone
12-03-2011, 01:05 PM
These 'perfect' diets keep popping up every decade. There is no such thing. Humanity has existed and thrived on different diets in varied environments. Its what makes us a succesful species.

If one stays close to what one's genetic heredity is most adapted to, one should be fine. There is no one universally perfect diet.

Bingo.

I hate how people make eating seem complicated like it's such a big thing.

See what works for you, listen to your body and that's about it.

sureshs
12-03-2011, 01:13 PM

It is really not fine.

Traditionally, many of the diseases we see today later in life were not focused on, because people died early. Hence the myth that everything was great in the past.

The other angle to this issue is that the traditional diet to which the genetics is adapted is valid only when the lifestyle is valid. The same does not work today, when people do more intellectual rather than physical work.

Combination of newer lifestyle and longer life expectancy has raised many issues which eating traditional diets in traditional amounts will not solve.

A hearty farmer's breakfast, lunch and dinner is no longer suitable for a guy who sits in front of his computer all day long.

Tennis_Monk
12-03-2011, 01:18 PM

I guess all those various communities/states that eat lots of wheat (many Asian nations included) for generations were wrong. All (or most) of them died of diabetes, various cancers, IBS, ulcerative colities, obesity, etc

sureshs
12-03-2011, 01:21 PM
From what I have been told, diabetes patients in Asia are always asked to eat wheat and reduce rice intake drastically.

PBODY99
12-03-2011, 01:23 PM
High fructose corn syrup should not get a pass. The explosion in carb related diseases more closely relates to this introduction in the mid 1980s.
Excuse me my pizza has arrived.

nikdom
12-03-2011, 01:24 PM
It is really not fine.

Traditionally, many of the diseases we see today later in life were not focused on, because people died early. Hence the myth that everything was great in the past.

The other angle to this issue is that the traditional diet to which the genetics is adapted is valid only when the lifestyle is valid. The same does not work today, when people do more intellectual rather than physical work.

Combination of newer lifestyle and longer life expectancy has raised many issues which eating traditional diets in traditional amounts will not solve.

A hearty farmer's breakfast, lunch and dinner is no longer suitable for a guy who sits in front of his computer all day long.

There is a lot of generalization here. The only point I agree with is that quantities of food consumed should correlate with activity levels.

namelessone
12-03-2011, 01:25 PM
It is really not fine.

What if that guy moves his *** on his time off and hits the gym on weekend?

All you need is to do some type of workout(whether cardio or weight lifting) every other day(giving your body time to rest) and try not to pig out too often. Except for those that have thyroid problems and such, this formula will work.

Staying slim, like eating, is made up to be some sort of great mystery when in fact it shouldn't even be a problem for most people until they hit middle age and the body's metabolism starts to slow down. Unfortunately, you see a lot of guys in their 20's with beer bellys which is frankly embarrassing.

All these dieting fads succeed in fooling the public because the public doesn't want to move their lazy asses. They want the easy way out and the guys with these wonder diets provide the illusion for them, for a fee of course.

nikdom
12-03-2011, 01:31 PM
What if that guy moves his *** on his time off and hits the gym on weekend?

All you need is to do some type of workout(whether cardio or weight lifting) every other day(giving your body time to rest) and try not to pig out too often. Except for those that have thyroid problems and such, this formula will work.

Staying slim, like eating, is made up to be some sort of great mystery when in fact it shouldn't even be a problem for most people until they hit middle age and the body's metabolism starts to slow down. Unfortunately, you see a lot of guys in their 20's with beer bellys which is frankly embarrassing.

All these dieting fads succeed in fooling the public because the public doesn't want to move their lazy asses. They want the easy way out and the guys with these wonder diets provide the illusion for them, for a fee of course.

This.

Believe me, I've been there. Been on everything from low-carb to vegan. There is no magic pill to being a healthy weight. Just eating real, unprocessed food as much as possible and working out. The only strong correlation for a healthy weight I've found in my own experience is with activity levels.

Mike Sams
12-03-2011, 01:33 PM

That's because nobody exercises. That's the REAL issue. Not eating pasta, bread, etc. Obviously you want to keep things in moderation but most people just play on their computer or video games and do nothing active.

Mike Sams
12-03-2011, 01:37 PM
This.

Believe me, I've been there. Been on everything from low-carb to vegan. There is no magic pill to being a healthy weight. Just eating real, unprocessed food as much as possible and working out. The only strong correlation for a healthy weight I've found in my own experience is with activity levels.

You wanna lose weight? Hit the road and do a 45 minute jog or get on the treadmill and run for an hour or so. Try burning 800 calories a day. You'll be wiping out 4000 calories a week just from exercising.:)
It's not some super athlete's diet. Just good enough to help regular people improve their health and their weight.

bullfan
12-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Unless you are allergic to gluten, who gives a flying f**k?

Exactly.... My Pizza Joint just started selling gluten free pizzas and when I asked about the difference, the guy told me that unless I have gluten issues, I won't like the flavor difference and not to buy it. BTW, it was more expensive to buy the gluten free pizza.

AtomicForehand
12-03-2011, 01:40 PM
You wanna lose weight? Hit the road and do a 45 minute jog or get on the treadmill and run for an hour or so. Try burning 800 calories a day. You'll be wiping out 4000 calories a week just from exercising.:)
It's not some super athlete's diet. Just good enough to help regular people improve their health and their weight.

4000 calories per week equals just a little over one pound burned off. You can easily undo that with eating a little too much, especially of the wrong types of foods.

Mike Sams
12-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Bingo.

I hate how people make eating seem complicated like it's such a big thing.

See what works for you, listen to your body and that's about it.

I know what works. Treadmill...everyday! Burn 800 calories and eat small meals including the usual breakfast, lunch, dinner. 800 calories for 5 days/week is 4000 calories a week which you've cut.:)
Don't bother going cycling. That crap doesn't work at all. You need to run!
If you don't want to always run...play Tennis! It's lots of fun.

namelessone
12-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Exactly.... My Pizza Joint just started selling gluten free pizzas and when I asked about the difference, the guy told me that unless I have gluten issues, I won't like the flavor difference and not to buy it. BTW, it was more expensive to buy the gluten free pizza.

Oh, what a shocker. :)

Bjorn99
12-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Gluten free feels easier on the stomach. Some taste terrible some taste better. But getting fat is a modern dilemma. From the day we started using plastic. Bisumen B. Estogenic effect from it seeping into our water, food etc... Its almost completely impossible to maintain a washboard today.

Mike Sams
12-03-2011, 01:44 PM
4000 calories per week equals just a little over one pound burned off. You can easily undo that with eating a little too much, especially of the wrong types of foods.

Yeah, it's called willpower. If you don't have any, then don't bother wasting your time I guess with running. :lol:
My theory is that if you're say 200lbs stable, then stick to what it is that you eat and incorporate running into your life. I didn't say you should run and then eat MORE than you used to. That basically defeats the whole purpose of losing weight. LOL!!!

AtomicForehand
12-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Yeah, it's called willpower. If you don't have any, then don't bother wasting your time I guess with running. :lol:
My theory is that if you're say 200lbs stable, then stick to what it is that you eat and incorporate running into your life. I didn't say you should run and then eat MORE than you used to. That basically defeats the whole purpose of losing weight. LOL!!!

Distance running is a muscle-wasting form of exercise. The more muscle your body is forced to burn, the lower your metabolism.

Mike Sams
12-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Distance running is a muscle-wasting form of exercise. The more muscle your body is forced to burn, the lower your metabolism.

Most people hit the weights and then do a run after. I know that wrestler The Rock does that. But for fat slobs who have never done anything active and yet complain about being overweight, go out and do something active and build up a heck of a sweat. It's the best way. Fat people have few other options anyway. Cut down on the fat foods and do some running.

gregor.b
12-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Like everything else in life,it depends on the frequency and intensity of the exercise,be it running or whatever else you may do.

nikdom
12-03-2011, 01:57 PM

Makes sense. Explains all those fat long distance runners from Kenya.

AtomicForehand
12-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Makes sense. Explains all those fat long distance runners from Kenya.

They aren't fat, but rather are excessively lean, because their bodies have burned virtually all their fat stores for energy and then must burn the muscle tissue itself to get the body through that kind of ordeal. That's why endurance runners look ropy, emaciated, and old beyond their years, whereas sprinters have great muscle tone and look like vibrant athletes. The human body evolved to do one and not the other, and I'll let you guess which one that is.

nikdom
12-03-2011, 02:11 PM
They aren't fat, but rather are excessively lean, because their bodies have burned virtually all their fat stores for energy and then must burn the muscle tissue itself to get the body through that kind of ordeal. That's why endurance runners look ropy, emaciated, and old beyond their years, whereas sprinters have great muscle tone and look like vibrant athletes. The human body evolved to do one and not the other, and I'll let you guess which one that is.

Muscle mass (more specifically volume, since its mostly water) isn't the last word on human health. Fit and lean are different from emaciated.

And btw what does sprinting have to do with evolution?

AtomicForehand
12-03-2011, 02:32 PM
And btw what does sprinting have to do with evolution?

Think about it. We evolved to be sprinting animals to escape predators or chase down prey ourselves. We didn't run for hours at a time. That would have been a huge waste of precious energy, and a pointless activity besides. When we needed to travel long distances, we walked.

Povl Carstensen
12-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Well our genetic heredity is not grains for carbs, but rather greens, fruits, etc... Or much less carbs.

This.

Real, unprocessed foods is rather close to a magic pill imo (but does not replace working out). A lot of the gluten we get are from processed grains.
In my experience a diet where grain (gluten) is replaced (less or more) with greens is the most nutritious and energizing and conducive to weight loss. Of course I can not speak for others. And the problem is that avoiding/cutting down on food with wheat and related starches is not that uncomplicated today. Plus, like sugar, it tastes good...

Povl Carstensen
12-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Think about it. We evolved to be sprinting animals to escape predators or chase down prey ourselves. We didn't run for hours at a time. That would have been a huge waste of precious energy, and a pointless activity besides. When we needed to travel long distances, we walked.Some recent research says we did actually run for hours hunting down wildlife that were more sprint effective than us. And not many predators we can outsprint anyway if you think about it.

frunk
12-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Idiots! You all have it wrong! All you should be eating is Broccoli and Spinach.

AtomicForehand
12-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Some recent research says we did actually run for hours hunting down wildlife that were more sprint effective than us. And not many predators we can outsprint anyway if you think about it.

If we hunted for hours at a time, it was not running the whole time like endurance running is today.

pound cat
12-03-2011, 02:49 PM
If biscuits and gravy weren't part of every dish in every diner menu in the USA, the disease rate and health costs would plummet.

How about common sense eating being the nest fad?

It looks like... (name what it looks like)

http://www.macheesmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/biscuitsgravy1_550.jpg

AtomicForehand
12-03-2011, 02:55 PM
If biscuits and gravy weren't part of every dish in every diner menu in the USA, the disease rate and health costs would plummet.

How about common sense eating being the nest fad?

It looks like... (name what it looks like)

http://www.macheesmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/biscuitsgravy1_550.jpg

Who eats in diners?

ClarkC
12-03-2011, 02:55 PM
It is really not fine.

Then there is the myth that everyone used to die early. I hear that one a lot.

ClarkC
12-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Very true. The guys I see in the Tour de France look like tubs of lard. They might as well be couch potatoes if they are going to cycle all the time and not jog.

Povl Carstensen
12-03-2011, 03:05 PM
If we hunted for hours at a time, it was not running the whole time like endurance running is today.No it was not 42 km in 2 hours and 5 minutes, if that is what you mean. But it was outlasting prey that was less enduring than us, at least that is the theory.

Power Player
12-03-2011, 03:09 PM
I know what works. Treadmill...everyday! Burn 800 calories and eat small meals including the usual breakfast, lunch, dinner. 800 calories for 5 days/week is 4000 calories a week which you've cut.:)
If you don't want to always run...play Tennis! It's lots of fun.

Uhhh..cycling works rather well actually.

AtomicForehand
12-03-2011, 03:10 PM
No it was not 42 km in 2 hours and 5 minutes, if that is what you mean. But it was outlasting prey that was less enduring than us, at least that is the theory.

Such as?

Come on. We were group hunters of large prey, and opportunistic hunters of smaller prey (much like deer hunters today lying in wait with their rifles). We were not traversing the mountains at a dead run for hours chasing down some "prey that was less enduring than us." Because there are virtually no prey animals with less endurance than us.

Mike Sams
12-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Very true. The guys I see in the Tour de France look like tubs of lard. They might as well be couch potatoes if they are going to cycle all the time and not jog.

That's a whole different level. I'm talking about the exercise bikes people sit on at the gym while reading magazines. It's the most relaxed form of cardio training I've ever seen. :lol:

Povl Carstensen
12-03-2011, 03:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting

Mike Sams
12-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Uhhh..cycling works rather well actually.

How many miles did you cycle regularly and how much weight did you cut compared to jogging?

Pwned
12-03-2011, 03:53 PM

lol. Obviously the body evolved to do both. Your opinion on which looks better is irrelevant.

Pwned
12-03-2011, 03:56 PM
If we hunted for hours at a time, it was not running the whole time like endurance running is today.

Incorrect:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0b6_1241818521

tusharlovesrafa
12-03-2011, 06:47 PM
From what I have been told, diabetes patients in Asia are always asked to eat wheat and reduce rice intake drastically.

you are correct docs here advice diabetes patients to lessen the intake of rice or even if you want to take rice then take all it's starch out which could be done by boiling the rice and draining all it's water out..and chapatis are always good for health..:)

PhotoBlue
12-03-2011, 06:53 PM
You know what I think I am going to try gluten free for a few days, see how it goes, then make a descision (aka we will see if it actually sucks not eating all that stuff:)) I'll let you guys know how it goes, it'll be interesting...

kms929
12-03-2011, 06:55 PM
what people are missing is the fact that there are many people with celiac's that don't even know they have it because they are asymptomatic, as I was for most of my life. the originally cited article says "he had randomly screened 2,000 blood samples for the antibodies that typically indicate a diagnosis of celiac disease and discovered that 1 in 250 tested positive." Those numbers are now suspected to be 1 in 150. And the reason that people with celiac's who are gluten free typically "perform" better has more to do with the malabsorption of important nutritients than the loss of weight. If you body doesn't absorb things like iron, calcium, B12, you are not going to perform as well...when go gluten free, your body heals and starts to absorb these nutrients

OddJack
12-03-2011, 06:57 PM
what people are missing is the fact that there are many people with celiac's that don't even know they have it because they are asymptomatic, as I was for most of my life. the originally cited article says "he had randomly screened 2,000 blood samples for the antibodies that typically indicate a diagnosis of celiac disease and discovered that 1 in 250 tested positive." Those numbers are now suspected to be 1 in 150. And the reason that people with celiac's who are gluten free typically "perform" better has more to do with the malabsorption of important nutritients than the loss of weight. If you body doesn't absorb things like iron, calcium, B12, you are not going to perform as well...when go gluten free, your body heals and starts to absorb these nutrients

No wonder people missing the facts...most of them didnt even read the article completely like you did.

kms929
12-03-2011, 06:59 PM
You know what I think I am going to try gluten free for a few days, see how it goes, then make a descision (aka we will see if it actually sucks not eating all that stuff:)) I'll let you guys know how it goes, it'll be interesting...

I think this is actually the way to look at the gluten-free question--if you try going gluten free and you feel better, then it's the right choice for you, whether you have a diagnosis of celiac disease or not :)

OddJack
12-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Maybe it takes more than few days to show any difference? I am not sure.

kms929
12-03-2011, 07:03 PM
and by the way..i've been gluten free since I was diagnosed with celiacs 3 years ago..i feel better than ever, and ran 2 marathons this year. the diet is not always easy, but in my case, there really is no alternative..i choose to be healthy over sick :)

kms929
12-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Maybe it takes more than few days to show any difference? I am not sure.

yeah, most likely...maybe more like a month or two?

DjokovicForTheWin
12-04-2011, 04:39 AM
That is not true. You do lose weight overall due to increased metabolism. It depends on what/how much you eat to satisfy the appetite.

This is not true. You only increase metabolism stably if you increase muscle mass. Tennis will not significantly increase muscle mass. The overall weight loss will be water or temporary. You will eat again soon enough. No net gain.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-04-2011, 04:41 AM

Of course, how else can you keep them coming back for treatment. Pretty naive.

Bjorn99
12-04-2011, 04:51 AM
Biggest problem all of us face is waking up to government spraying all night. The effects of that spraying far outweigh any toxicities we ingest through our water and food. Unfortunately.

Bjorn99
12-04-2011, 04:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igFH0pAlcGY

ben123
12-04-2011, 07:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te_FOsKL_5Q

Bjorn99
12-04-2011, 08:12 AM
The money they are spending on this, would blow your mind. Gotta be 90% of our taxes.

Pwned
12-04-2011, 08:56 AM
The money they are spending on this, would blow your mind. Gotta be 90% of our taxes.

This thread is missing some Fedace comments.

Sentinel
12-04-2011, 09:11 AM
This thread is missing some Fedace comments.
There is a technical reason for that.