PDA

View Full Version : I've never been a fan of 'the scribe' but.....

tata
12-03-2011, 09:55 PM
...holy crap look at him go. How come he doesn't play like this nowdays days? The level of play, especially his BH ROS is so dam good. Fearless tennis out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6YiMHI4NBg&feature=grec_index

norbac
12-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Kinda funny, was just watching this video earlier.

Great play from Kohli, too bad he can't really replicate this type of performance week in, week out. Still a dangerous unseeded/25-32 seeded player.

tata
12-03-2011, 10:13 PM
I think in the first extended rally in the vid there was a BH DTL where i literally just dropped my jaw. It was just crazy stuff. And those stats....104 winners...

Seth
12-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Kinda funny, was just watching this video earlier.

Great play from Kohli, too bad he can't really replicate this type of performance week in, week out. Still a dangerous unseeded/25-32 seeded player.

Great point. He's the type of player that keeps the Masters/Slams interesting. Any given day he can pull an upset.

Devilito
12-03-2011, 10:40 PM
the weakness of the 1hbh in the modern game is clearly on display in that video

purge
12-03-2011, 10:41 PM
funny thinking about this after reading that thread about federers 'bouncing back' talent. cause in a way kohli has a curious variation of said talent as he manages with surprising consistency to 'bounce back' after his most amazing victories by constantly losing to nonames for 2 1/2 months after each and every good match hes played oO

Devilito
12-03-2011, 10:46 PM
this is my fave scriber vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPvJ0WJ_4f8

when i watch him play I’m more surprised when he loses. The talent is there. It's hard to believe with the trash that has littered the top 20 lately that he can't get himself up to that level. He has the shot making of a top 10 player but his ranking just sucks given his ability.

jamesblakefan#1
12-03-2011, 11:09 PM
One word: Consistency. It's easy to get yourself up to play that well in a big match against a top player, as Kohlschreiber often seems to do. But the match after that when you're going against a fellow lowly ranked guy and are back on an outer court, will you have the same intensity, the same focus, the same level of play necessary to win? Often for Kohly it's been no.

I like his game too, but it should be no mystery why he's not ranked higher. The difference between being top 20 and being a floater is simple, consistency. Kohly hasn't shown that, until he develops it like a guy like Tipsaravic did this year, he'll never be more than a dangerous floater in the big tourneys.

purge
12-03-2011, 11:21 PM
One word: Consistency. It's easy to get yourself up to play that well in a big match against a top player, as Kohlschreiber often seems to do.

agreed with some exceptions like that match vs roddick thats been referenced by the OP. what kohlschreiber played there is definitely NOT easy to do. no one outside the top 10 should even be able to hit those shots.
kohli is a bit more than just the classic floater who only on occasion reaches his full potential in a big showcase match in the way that for some reason he sometimes goes skyhigh above his full potential as in that match above. roddick was playing well there, maybe couldve served better but thats it. while kohli started hitting shots that are ridiculously impossible for him and almost anyone.

when you watch that highlight reel you soon lose count on how many BHs he just goes for broke being completely out of position, off-balance, on the run, whatever (he probably even closed his eyes on some of them) and nails them onto the line lol. thats kinda like constantly hitting that djokovic return winner on match point against fed, just out of a rally and with a 1H BH oO

so kohlschreiber is kind of a super-floater +g+

Fate Archer
12-03-2011, 11:56 PM
this is my fave scriber vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPvJ0WJ_4f8

when i watch him play I’m more surprised when he loses. The talent is there. It's hard to believe with the trash that has littered the top 20 lately that he can't get himself up to that level. He has the shot making of a top 10 player but his ranking just sucks given his ability.

I probably have seen this video before, but that's a fantastic angle.

The spin and the net clearance that Kohly has on his strokes is amazing and one detail that this video also shows is how deceptively well Del Potro moves for a guy of his size. Out of the branch of tall players (Berdych, Soderling, Cilic, others..) he's definitely the best mover.

jamesblakefan#1
12-04-2011, 01:59 AM
agreed with some exceptions like that match vs roddick thats been referenced by the OP. what kohlschreiber played there is definitely NOT easy to do. no one outside the top 10 should even be able to hit those shots.
kohli is a bit more than just the classic floater who only on occasion reaches his full potential in a big showcase match in the way that for some reason he sometimes goes skyhigh above his full potential as in that match above. roddick was playing well there, maybe couldve served better but thats it. while kohli started hitting shots that are ridiculously impossible for him and almost anyone.

when you watch that highlight reel you soon lose count on how many BHs he just goes for broke being completely out of position, off-balance, on the run, whatever (he probably even closed his eyes on some of them) and nails them onto the line lol. thats kinda like constantly hitting that djokovic return winner on match point against fed, just out of a rally and with a 1H BH oO

so kohlschreiber is kind of a super-floater +g+

Then again, Roddick has a habit of letting guys go off on him in slams to get the biggest wins of their careers - Baghdatis teed off on him at AO 06, yet has never beaten him in subsequent matches. Tipsarevic did something similar at two different slam events, last year's USO and at Wimbledon in 08. Then there was Gasquet practically making a BH passing shot highlight reel at Wimbledon 07 against Roddick. Gilles Muller at USO 05...maybe it has more to do w/ Rod? lol.

But Kohly does have a win against Murray, put up a good match against Fed at Wimby 09, and had 3 MPs against Djoker last year at Indian Wells before he lost. The match against Roddick was just the ultimate exception, similar to Tsonga's match against Rafa at AO 08 and Gonzo's QF/SF matches at AO 07. Talent wise he should be top 20, but like I said, consistency and shot selection is the difference between constantly being a threat and being a dangerous floater.

jamesblakefan#1
12-04-2011, 02:00 AM
I probably have seen this video before, but that's a fantastic angle.

The spin and the net clearance that Kohly has on his strokes is amazing and one detail that this video also shows is how deceptively well Del Potro moves for a guy of his size. Out of the branch of tall players (Berdych, Soderling, Cilic, others..) he's definitely the best mover.

Anyone that follows Delpo knows he's a good mover, not just for a big guy, but in general. Not trying to put you down or anything, just don't see why people still seem to be surprised that he's such a good mover. That and his net game seem to be underrated by people who call him a brainless baseliner with no variety.

Fate Archer
12-04-2011, 03:09 AM
Anyone that follows Delpo knows he's a good mover, not just for a big guy, but in general. Not trying to put you down or anything, just don't see why people still seem to be surprised that he's such a good mover. That and his net game seem to be underrated by people who call him a brainless baseliner with no variety.

Yeah, it's just that I don't see many people mentioning, he's mostly seen as a very big hitter and it still surprises me because it's a meaningfull difference between what he does (getting to some shots and doing something interesting with it) and what guys like Berdych or Soderling do, who are either too stiff to chase down shots or just don't have the will or interest to do it given their height.

Anyway, Del Po's match is starting soon. :)

Bjorn99
12-04-2011, 03:30 AM
Kohlschreiber puts so much into his matches, that he probably is bagged half of the time. His game is exhausting to play, and fun to watch. He is entertaining.

rfm29
12-04-2011, 11:06 AM
But Kohly does have a win against Murray, put up a good match against Fed at Wimby 09, and had 3 MPs against Djoker last year at Indian Wells before he lost. The match against Roddick was just the ultimate exception, similar to Tsonga's match against Rafa at AO 08 and Gonzo's QF/SF matches at AO 07. Talent wise he should be top 20, but like I said, consistency and shot selection is the difference between constantly being a threat and being a dangerous floater.

Can't disagree with this. All those top guys can hit amazing shots, it's the guys with a higher consistent level of play who are top 10. But, Kohly does seem like he's one of the more dangerous "floaters" around. (and to be honest, thats still amazing).

SirGounder
12-04-2011, 11:23 AM
He's definitely a streaky player, kinda of like Tipsy. They are amazing when they get hot, but when the UE's creep in, they can lose to anybody.

rfm29
12-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Can be VERY exciting to watch when their on though (same as most players I guess)

Homeboy Hotel
12-04-2011, 11:34 AM
His coach is now Andy Murray's ex-coach coach, Miles Maclaghan - right?

shaysrebelII
12-04-2011, 12:03 PM
The match against Roddick was just the ultimate exception, similar to Tsonga's match against Rafa at AO 08 and Gonzo's QF/SF matches at AO 07. Talent wise he should be top 20, but like I said, consistency and shot selection is the difference between constantly being a threat and being a dangerous floater.

I think you may have just inadvertently touched on why the AO is, year after year, the "upset slam." Guys who have issues retaining focus over long periods of time - Baghdatis, Kohly, Verdasco, Gonzalez - have had a lot of success at the AO. I would guess that this is the product of a "new year, fresh start" sort of mentality that is easy for these guys early on. However, as the year progresses, inconsistency and lack of focus creeps in, resulting in the journeyman status that each of the above guys is currently familiar with.

I could be overanalyzing, but that's my 2 cents.

Mainad
12-04-2011, 03:25 PM
His coach is now Andy Murray's ex-coach coach, Miles Maclaghan - right?

He was, but not any longer. Maclagan is currently coaching Baghdatis.