PDA

View Full Version : Nadal: Not playing Davis Cup next year, wants back #1 instead.

Homeboy Hotel
12-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Seen on twitter from a couple of places that Nadal is not playing Davis Cup at all next year, he wants the top ranking back.

https://twitter.com/#!/NeilHarmanTimes/status/143394528156590080
https://twitter.com/#!/RafaelNadalFC/status/143396653125210113

Views? Is Nadal just being spoilt and uncommited to the tournament?

IMO, they should just totally change Davis Cup to an event that happens every 2-3 years. Change the format of it, maybe even have small teams say GBR/SUI team up to take on a bigger team like France and have one big world-group stage. It's current model just seems unfit for purpose and something that is too flexible, players just dropping in and out when it suits them.

BeHappy
12-04-2011, 11:08 AM
I really don't think they should change the Davis Cup at all. All the big tennis powerhouses love the Davis Cup the way it is (Spain, Argentina, France, Croatia etc).

Mustard
12-04-2011, 11:10 AM
If Nadal is ruling himself out of 2012 Davis Cup before the start of the year, then that's the correct time to do it. Becker did it years ago, where he played Davis Cup every year, winning 2 titles with West Germany and eventually stopped playing it for a while. Germany still won a Davis Cup without Becker in 1993, with Stich at the heart of their team.

kishnabe
12-04-2011, 11:16 AM
What bulll.....Nadal would be back to play when Spain is in the finals again!

tennis_pro
12-04-2011, 11:22 AM
What bulll.....Nadal would be back to play when Spain is in the finals again!

haha exactly my thoughts, watch Nadal "change his mind" if Spain reaches the final or sf at least

SirGounder
12-04-2011, 11:25 AM
I don't like the fact that players can come and go as they please. They should have to make a commitment at the beginning of the season and stick to it unless injured.

I'd like to see Nadal play Davis Cup because it makes for good matches.

Mustard
12-04-2011, 11:26 AM
haha exactly my thoughts, watch Nadal "change his mind" if Spain reaches the final or sf at least

Who cares if he did? Why would Albert Costa object to having Nadal in his side. Would anyone? It's good that Nadal is telling the Spanish team to prepare for the whole of 2012 without him in their plans if that's what he wants. If he changes his mind later on in the year, then fine.

tennis_pro
12-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Who cares if he did? Why would Albert Costa object to having Nadal in his side. Would anyone? It's good that Nadal is telling the Spanish team to prepare for the whole of 2012 without him in their plans if that's what he wants. If he changes his mind later on in the year, then fine.

Couldn't he just say DC won't be a no 1 priority for him in 2012 unless Spain is in danger of losing or unless it's one of the final rounds?

Mustard
12-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Couldn't he just say DC won't be a no 1 priority for him in 2012 unless Spain is in danger of losing or unless it's one of the final rounds?

If he said that, then he'd be giving the team permission to use him late on in the year. If he's not sure if he can commit to that, then it's right that he rules himself out for the year.

tennis_pro
12-04-2011, 11:37 AM
If he said that, then he'd be giving the team permission to use him late on in the year. If he's not sure if he can commit to that, then it's right that he rules himself out for the year.

Still, that was a big statement from Nadal. Watch people dig this out if he changes his mind.

Homeboy Hotel
12-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Still, that was a big statement from Nadal. Watch people dig this out if he changes his mind.

That's why I made this thread :)

rdis10093
12-04-2011, 11:41 AM
what about london? If he does not play davis cup, then he can't play london right?

Mustard
12-04-2011, 11:44 AM
what about london? If he does not play davis cup, then he can't play london right?

He's played Davis Cup less than a year before the 2012 Olympics.

rdis10093
12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
thanks, I was not so sure on the whole timeline thing.

CMM
12-04-2011, 11:49 AM
The Spanish press talks about the end of a generation

http://www.marca.com/2011/12/04/tenis/copa_davis/1323025978.html

rdis10093
12-04-2011, 11:51 AM
they should, nadal was pretty much the reason the one dc.

Homeboy Hotel
12-04-2011, 11:52 AM
The Spanish press talks about the end of a generation

http://www.marca.com/2011/12/04/tenis/copa_davis/1323025978.html

"Nadal, Ferrer, Verdasco and Feliciano will not be in the Spanish Davis Cup team next year."

Blimey. Who's left? Are these future players working their way through high school?

rdis10093
12-04-2011, 11:53 AM
moya is going to come back and take it all

Sid_Vicious
12-04-2011, 11:54 AM
It is okay. He helped the team win it this year. Djokovic's was not that devoted to Davis Cup in 2011 as he was in 2010 either.

Besides, it is only one year. He never said that he will never play again. Roddick took an year off of Davis Cup competition as well.

Edit: Holy crap!Ferrer, Verdasco, and Lopez are jumping ship next year? That is bad. Spain will be playing against Sudan if those guys abandon the team.

zagor
12-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Well that's one less obstacle for Nalbandian, hopefully he gives it his all just for one more year and if Delpo's healthy and commited to it 2012 could be the year.

As for Nadal, he's done his part for his country, no shame in putting himself first for once, we might be in for quite of a battle for the top spot in 2012 between Novak and Nadal.

Towser83
12-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Why would anyone seriously call him spoiled? He's played Davis cup in a winning team 3 times, Spain have won 5 times in the last 15 years... Why should he always have to play for them? If I was a proud Spainiard I'd rather Nadal win slams as a Spanish player than help win davis Cup.

He also has a chance to win an Olympic medal next year.

Besides Spain have a good enough team without Nadal.

Hood_Man
12-04-2011, 12:01 PM
It's probably for the best. Next year is going to be pretty packed for the top guys.

I'm sure if Spain reached the Semis or the Final he'd show up to help though.

beast of mallorca
12-04-2011, 12:03 PM
It is okay. He helped the team win it this year. Djokovic's was not that devoted to Davis Cup in 2011 as he was in 2010 either.

Besides, it is only one year. He never said that he will never play again. Roddick took an year off of Davis Cup competition as well.

Edit: Holy crap!Ferrer, Verdasco, and Lopez are jumping ship next year? That is bad. Spain will be playing against Sudan if those guys abandon the team.

Granolla bar, Almagro, Marc Lopez(as doubles), Robredo, Garcia Lopez are all formidable top 30-100. I doubt the top players will commit either since there is the OLympics. They'll play Kazakhstan next in home soil then either Austria or Russia. Surely Bogomolov (if it's Russia) is a good player but nothing they can't handle.

iriraz
12-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I guess biggest goal next year for Spain is to win in the first round and avoid a relegation match in autumn.

syc23
12-04-2011, 12:30 PM
He has helped Spain to 3 DC wins, that is more than enough commitment so he entitled to take it a bit easy and focus on himself next year.

Mustard
12-04-2011, 12:33 PM
He has helped Spain to 3 DC wins, that is more than enough commitment so he entitled to take it a bit easy and focus on himself next year.

Strictly speaking, Nadal has helped Spain to 4 Davis Cup wins. He missed the 2008 final due to a knee injury sustained in the Paris Indoors, but he was a part of the team in other ties that year, including the semi final win over the USA. Verdasco and Lopez shone in the 2008 final, though, in Nadal's absence.

nn
12-04-2011, 12:36 PM
anyone realize 2012 Olympics in London maybe the reason why Nadal won't play in davis cup... too much on plate... even Roger never played DC much and see because you can't play all...

I think Roger is pretty smart with his schedule and one reason he is fit even at 30 after staying on top for long. I think Nadal and Novak should learn or do something similar before they burn out by 28 or even early.

Novak and Nadal is inside 25 and dominated tennis and Roger did the same around 24.

DavidGarcia
12-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Granolla bar, Almagro, Marc Lopez(as doubles), Robredo, Garcia Lopez are all formidable top 30-100. I doubt the top players will commit either since there is the OLympics. They'll play Kazakhstan next in home soil then either Austria or Russia. Surely Bogomolov (if it's Russia) is a good player but nothing they can't handle.

You are missing Pablo Andujar, Albert Ramos, Pere Riba and Albert Montanes (dont think he's ever played a davis match).

The first 3 are still young enough and would be great for them to get a bit of the Davis Cup experience.

Defo the right decision by the current Spanish Davis Cup players.

OddJack
12-04-2011, 01:01 PM
ehe

ehehe

Muhahahahaaaaaaaa

Dont play Davis so he can go bakc to Number one

As if two weeks or couple of matches makes any difference.

He will not even hold on to that number 2 ranking.

Bookmark this.

teAlexis
12-04-2011, 01:12 PM
http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/davis-cup-structure/diagram.aspx

Jonny S&V
12-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Spain have won 5 times in the last 5 years...

Umm, yeah... No... That would be saying they've won 5 years in a row, which they haven't... :roll:

Towser83
12-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Umm, yeah... No... That would be saying they've won 5 years in a row, which they haven't... :roll:

sorry I mean 15. Can't remember what it actually is, 11 or 12?

nikdom
12-04-2011, 01:39 PM
His priorities are right. AO should be really interesting.

Nadal now has some boost in confidence from the DC win. Djoko will be eager to prove his no.1 status by defending his title. Roger will have a chip on his shoulder about translating his year end form into a best of 5, and Murray, well....who knows anything about this guy! Never know what to expect from him.

Mick
12-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Not sure where the number 1 ranking fits in but this article says Nadal doesn't want to play davis cup next year so he can focus on the olympics

Nadal to skip Davis Cup in 2012, focus on Olympics

Nadal, who took gold in Beijing in 2008, says the 2012 Davis Cup is “impossible with it being an Olympic year.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news;_ylt=Apm0QgNF5Nu9X5GAkMr0RTA4v7YF?slug=ap-daviscup-nadal

Mustard
12-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Not sure where the number 1 ranking fits in but this article says Nadal doesn't want to play davis cup next year so he can focus on the olympics

Nadal, who took gold in Beijing in 2008, says the 2012 Davis Cup is “impossible with it being an Olympic year.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news;_ylt=Apm0QgNF5Nu9X5GAkMr0RTA4v7YF?slug=ap-daviscup-nadal

Nadal played both the Davis Cup and Olympics in 2008. At age 25-26 though, it'll be much harder than when he was 21-22 so I think it's a wise decision.

Mike Sams
12-04-2011, 02:02 PM
His priorities are right. AO should be really interesting.

Nadal now has some boost in confidence from the DC win. Djoko will be eager to prove his no.1 status by defending his title. Roger will have a chip on his shoulder about translating his year end form into a best of 5, and Murray, well....who knows anything about this guy! Never know what to expect from him.

And watch the organizers dump Federer in Djokovic's section instead of Nadal's throughout all the Slams in 2012. :lol: Won't matter though. Federer won't have a hope in hell against Djokovic on the AO surface. Federer's game doesn't bother Djoker there. Roland Garros...Federer will have to play out of his mind like he did this year and it won't be enough. Wimbledon, Federer can't even make semifinals anymore so no threat there. And USO...Djokovic will toy with Federer and make it close and then break his heart again.:)

Crisstti
12-04-2011, 02:17 PM
The Glass Half Full: Nadal won’t play the Davis Cup next year

Rafael Nadal assured today that he won’t play for the Spanish team in the next edition of the Davis Cup because he will prioritize his participation in the Olimpics of London, after the triumph 3 to 1 against Argentina in the funal, held in La Cartuja, Sevilla.

“Next year I for sure won’t play because it will be an Olympic year and my participation in the Davis Cup becomes impossible”, said the number two of the world.

His team mates David Ferrer and Feliciano López expressed the same thoughts, saying they won’t stay in the team either. “It’s many years playing in the Davis Cup and one looks in some moments to prioritize one’s schedule. As you become older, you don’t hold up so much physically”, explained the world number five.

"There is a lot of people who can play in our place. That the four of us play will be very hard", he added. López, in turn, explained: "2012 is a very special year, with the Olympics and the possibility of playing twice in Wimbledon. We've been playing for 7 years and that takes its toll, whether you want it to or not".

Meantime, the captain of the Spanish team, Albert Costa, lefts doubts about his future when he explained that he will take a week off to reflect about whether to continue or not as the head of the team. "I've got to think about it. I don't know if I will go on. I will talk with the president of the Federation when I have the idea in my head. It's been a very big effort for many years".

http://www.infobae.com/notas/620449-El-vaso-medio-lleno-Nadal-no-jugara-la-Davis-2012.html

Crisstti
12-04-2011, 02:19 PM

No quote of Rafa saying anything about focusing on regaining the nº 1 ranking.

I doubt it sounds like something he'd even say.

pound cat
12-04-2011, 02:23 PM
moya is going to come back and take it all

He is likely to come back,,as the Spanish DC Captain. Evidently Costa is retiring,

Mike Sams
12-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Golly, London is lucky. Players will be visiting them 3 different times next year for Wimbledon, Olympics and World Tour Finals. I wish I had stayed in London.:)

nikdom
12-04-2011, 02:43 PM
And watch the organizers dump Federer in Djokovic's section instead of Nadal's throughout all the Slams in 2012. :lol: Won't matter though. Federer won't have a hope in hell against Djokovic on the AO surface. Federer's game doesn't bother Djoker there. Roland Garros...Federer will have to play out of his mind like he did this year and it won't be enough. Wimbledon, Federer can't even make semifinals anymore so no threat there. And USO...Djokovic will toy with Federer and make it close and then break his heart again.:)

Looks like Roger's given you an upset stomach. The verbal diaherrhia was very entertaining.

CCNM
12-04-2011, 03:23 PM
I've only been following tennis closely for five years. Have the Davis and Federation Cups been played every year? I agree w/Homeboy-they should be like the World Cup and the Olympics, held every 2-4 years.

Sid_Vicious
12-04-2011, 05:33 PM

It was certainly enough this year. So are you saying that Novak is going to reach and even higher level of player in 2012? Those are some big expectations. I highly doubt Djokovic will go into next years RG on a 40+ match win streak.

Also, if he is going to "toy with Federer" at the US Open, he better hope that Federer goes AWOL for 2 whole sets like this year.

beast of mallorca
12-04-2011, 05:39 PM
It's good for Nadal and company to give up Davis Cup next year. Time for Granolla bar and the rest to prove their worth and shine on their own. With Robredo, Almagro, Garcia Lopez etc, they're still a formidable team. Not top tier but still formidable.

Mike Sams
12-04-2011, 06:24 PM
It was certainly enough this year. So are you saying that Novak is going to reach and even higher level of player in 2012? Those are some big expectations. I highly doubt Djokovic will go into next years RG on a 40+ match win streak.

Also, if he is going to "toy with Federer" at the US Open, he better hope that Federer goes AWOL for 2 whole sets like this year.

I think Djokovic is going to be smarter next year. He'll do what Federer and Nadal do. Use the tournaments as preparation and then bring out the good stuff at the Slams.
But then again, there's no guarantee that Federer will be lumped with Djokovic at AO, Wimby, RG and USO. It may be time now for Nadal to have to earn his finals spot by taking on his big rival Federer.

Eternity
12-04-2011, 11:53 PM
The Glass Half Full: Nadal won’t play the Davis Cup next year

Rafael Nadal assured today that he won’t play for the Spanish team in the next edition of the Davis Cup because he will prioritize his participation in the Olimpics of London, after the triumph 3 to 1 against Argentina in the funal, held in La Cartuja, Sevilla.

“Next year I for sure won’t play because it will be an Olympic year and my participation in the Davis Cup becomes impossible”, said the number two of the world.

His team mates David Ferrer and Feliciano López expressed the same thoughts, saying they won’t stay in the team either. “It’s many years playing in the Davis Cup and one looks in some moments to prioritize one’s schedule. As you become older, you don’t hold up so much physically”, explained the world number five.

"There is a lot of people who can play in our place. That the four of us play will be very hard", he added. López, in turn, explained: "2012 is a very special year, with the Olympics and the possibility of playing twice in Wimbledon. We've been playing for 7 years and that takes its toll, whether you want it to or not".

Meantime, the captain of the Spanish team, Albert Costa, lefts doubts about his future when he explained that he will take a week off to reflect about whether to continue or not as the head of the team. "I've got to think about it. I don't know if I will go on. I will talk with the president of the Federation when I have the idea in my head. It's been a very big effort for many years".

http://www.infobae.com/notas/620449-El-vaso-medio-lleno-Nadal-no-jugara-la-Davis-2012.html

Sonds like a rebuilding phase is coming up for the Spanish team.