PDA

View Full Version : Need Help from TT Community to Save Courts - Sign a Petition

kimbahpnam
12-04-2011, 10:18 AM
A few days I ago I posted that LA Fitness bought out Bally Fitness and is thereby shutting down 3 major clubs in our area including 15 indoor courts.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=405122

Some people from our area have started an online petition to try to and help save the courts. I can think of NO better community to ask than one that revolves around TENNIS.

WE COULD REALLY USE HELP FROM THE TT COMMUNITY! PLEASE ADD YOUR SIGNATURE. (link at bottom)

You do need to sign up for the website (change.org) which I know people don't like to do, but it's for a worthy cause! Honestly, I don't know if it will do anything at all, but we're going to try.

http://www.change.org/petitions/la-fitness-consider-keeping-tennis-courts-available-at-former-bally-clubs

r2473
12-04-2011, 10:36 AM
But none of us live anywhere near Tacoma so we really can't pledge to "help financially".

Why This Is Important

We, the undersigned former Bally’s Tacoma/Olympia/Federal Way tennis members, are filing this petition to request that LA Fitness consider restructuring our memberships so that the tennis courts can remain available for us to play on. There is a severe shortage of tennis facilities in South Puget Sound and we cannot afford to lose a single indoor court, much less over a dozen courts.

In order for this to happen, we understand that tennis players will have to contribute to the financial well being of the LA Fitness organization. There are currently 1000-1200 tennis players at the Tacoma club and 800-900 of those people also play on USTA league teams and similar figures in both the Olympia and Federal Way programs. In light of that fact, we propose that LA Fitness offer two types of tennis memberships at the former Bally’s Tacoma/Olympia/Federal Way site:

Individual: $50 per month

Couple/Family: $80 per month

Tennis is often referred to as “the sport for a lifetime”. It is something people of all ages and skill levels can do to keep their minds sharp and their bodies fit. Nowhere is that more evident than at the former Bally’s Tacoma, Olympia and Federal Way clubs where on any given day you can see people from ages six to ninety enjoying time on the court. This is consistent with the LA Fitness philosophy of “focusing on the one lifelong benefit valued by everyone: good health.”

With the closure of these three clubs in particular, LA Fitness is displacing thousands of members of the tennis community, members who are more like a family than just tennis players, ending employment for those tennis professionals, many who have been teaching at their respective clubs for over a decade or more, and will limit the exposure of tennis to future generations. For those thousands of members who participate in USTA Adult, Senior and Mixed tennis leagues, these teams, again, many who have been together for years, will now be forced to disband if they’re not able to find another “home court” facility to host them. With the limited amount of indoor courts available even before the closures, this will severely damage the USTA league program in the Southwest Washington division of the USTA. This also affects the many youth programs, including youth divisions and tournaments of the USTA and the displacement of public high school league tournaments and sectional tournaments that are currently hosted at these tennis facilities.

LA Fitness prides itself “on giving members the most for their dollars to make the LA Fitness experience accessible to more segments of the community.” It is in the best interest of the community for this facility to remain open, even if it is only used for tennis.

These points just scrape the surface of the number of important reasons we hope LA Fitness will taking into consideration in regards to closing the tennis facilities.

We respectfully ask that you seriously consider our request.

Our points of contact are: Betsy Skevington, skevington@harbornet.com 253-564-5046 and JoAnne Fletcher, joannefle@comcast.net, 253-564-7589.

kimbahpnam
12-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm not really expecting anyone to contribute financially, but there's no harm in putting down a name I think. I'm pretty sure this isn't a contract saying you need to put a deposit down by signing.

El Diablo
12-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Good luck, but this thread is really lame. I don't think people like myself, 3000 miles from you, should attempt to persuade a club how to run its own business. If your community supported the clubs adequately, I doubt they'd be closing.

sureshs
12-04-2011, 12:15 PM
It would be illegal/unethical for me to sign this petition:

We, the undersigned former Bally’s Tacoma/Olympia/Federal Way tennis members, are filing this petition

as I am not a former Bally’s Tacoma/Olympia/Federal Way tennis member.

Tennis_Monk
12-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Dont we have rich enough members in the Seattle area that would be willing to buy these courts ?

Andyroo10567
12-17-2011, 06:26 PM
What would happen to Ballys in washington?

anantak2k
12-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I just signed this. I hope it helps. :)
Good luck.

hollywood9826
12-19-2011, 04:14 AM
LA Fitness checked the books and found that the tennis courts probbaly were losing money so they decided to cloase them.

If the community can get together and decide to pay enough to cover the expense maybe you have a chance.

But I'm not signing this thing. It serves no purpose.