PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon - Olympics: Enough Time for Grass to Recover?

Marius_Hancu
12-04-2011, 05:12 PM
3 weeks only for the Wimbledon main grass courts to recover:

Wimbledon
06/25/2012 - 07/08/2012

Olympic Games 2012
07/27/2012 - 08/05/2012

Is this time enough?

bullfan
12-04-2011, 05:15 PM

Wimbledon
06/25/2012 - 07/08/2012

Olympic Games 2012
07/27/2012 - 08/05/2012

Is this time enough?

Well, this was discussed quite a bit during Wimbledon this year, and that they've been testing the growth.... The answer is yes according to Wimbledon.

6-2/6-4/6-0
12-04-2011, 05:17 PM
With any luck, the grass will be a bit ragged and worn during the olympics, which will hopefully mean that it plays faster and more unpredictably and encourage more serve and volley tennis. That would ideal in my book.

Someone go ahead and cable Uncle Toni so that he can start complaining about how this is unfair to Rafa well ahead of time...

The Bawss
12-04-2011, 05:21 PM
I think the courts play fastest at the beginning of the tournament (when there is a lot of grass).

Yes 3 weeks should be amply sufficient.

stringertom
12-04-2011, 11:30 PM
The plan is to resod between Wimby finals and the Olympics.

vernonbc
12-05-2011, 03:00 AM
With any luck, the grass will be a bit ragged and worn during the olympics, which will hopefully mean that it plays faster and more unpredictably and encourage more serve and volley tennis. That would ideal in my book.

Someone go ahead and cable Uncle Toni so that he can start complaining about how this is unfair to Rafa well ahead of time...

As the grass becomes ragged and worn it becomes more like clay. That's why Rafa loves the second week of Wimbledon. Sorry, your attempt at a Rafa bash fails.

nadalwon2012
12-05-2011, 04:53 AM
As the grass becomes ragged and worn it becomes more like clay. That's why Rafa loves the second week of Wimbledon. Sorry, your attempt at a Rafa bash fails.

EXACTLY, bouncy is good
http://cdn1.wn.com/pd/79/cb/9776acccdda8a9aa0b096479286c_grande.jpg

Roddick85
12-05-2011, 04:53 AM
Having visited Wimbledon last week, this subject was brought up. Once the tournament is over, all the grass will be removed and they will re-seed with a special type of seed that grows faster so that the courts will be ready < 3 weeks. They have been testing this in the last year or so in preparation for this.

athiker
12-05-2011, 06:35 AM
I would be shocked if 3 week old grass holds up well to anything..doesn't seem to be enough time to develop decent roots...it may look good on top for the first day but...

Obviously the Wimby folks know a lot more about it than me joe blow homeowner with yard...but will be a bit interesting to see. Beyond wear spots...could be some loose footing as sod pulls loose.

Roddick85
12-05-2011, 06:41 AM
I would be shocked if 3 week old grass holds up well to anything..doesn't seem to be enough time to develop decent roots...it may look good on top for the first day but...

Obviously the Wimby folks know a lot more about it than me joe blow homeowner with yard...but will be a bit interesting to see. Beyond wear spots...could be some loose footing as sod pulls loose.

I agree with you. But they have some impressive installation. They have special lights over the courts on wheels to make the grass grow faster, like this. (Taken last week). Apparently they will use a special variation of the seed they currently use, which is RY grass.

http://i42.tinypic.com/wcjltc.jpg

rdis10093
12-05-2011, 06:44 AM
so, the person who takes wim. will not win thw olympics.

Homeboy Hotel
12-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Taken last week? Lol @ Wimbledon 2011 final score still on the screen

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 07:28 AM
LOL@ Tennis being an Olympic sport. I guess winning a medal in tennis is a bigger deal than winning Wimbledon. :lol:
I'm sure anybody cares about Massu being a gold medalist in tennis in 2004.

ALL IN
12-05-2011, 07:39 AM
LOL@ Tennis being an Olympic sport. I guess winning a medal in tennis is a bigger deal than winning Wimbledon. :lol:

I'm sure there are plenty of players who care, like the ones that tried to win but didn't. It is interesting that a person who makes 1000+ posts on a message board in 3 months has something derogatory to say about an Olympic Gold medalist/medal. Care to share any of your accomplishments with us? I'm curious......

vive le beau jeu !
12-05-2011, 07:47 AM
i was wondering about that... i hope they'll manage to have some fresh grass ready for the olympics.
the more destroyed it gets (cf. 2nd week), the higher the bounce is... and this is what we want to avoid.

LameTennisPlayer
12-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Taken last week? Lol @ Wimbledon 2011 final score still on the screen

I know at Kooyong they still have the score from last year till the night before they start playing the following year, must happen at a few places? hmm

Homeboy Hotel
12-05-2011, 08:12 AM
I know at Kooyong they still have the score from last year till the night before they start playing the following year, must happen at a few places? hmm

It just seems like a waste of electricity, at Wimbledon it's not a traditional scoreboard - it's a real television screen that turns into a hawkeye screen during challenges. Leaving that on 365 days a year just seems stupid.

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm sure there are plenty of players who care, like the ones that tried to win but didn't. It is interesting that a person who makes 1000+ posts on a message board in 3 months has something derogatory to say about an Olympic Gold medalist/medal. Care to share any of your accomplishments with us? I'm curious......

You're curious about my accomplishments? :) Well I did work as a design assistant at Lakeshore college for a few years. Helped over 2000 kids in the field of digital design and penciling. Does that make me as special as somebody who hits a tennis ball over a net countless times? I dunno...might be up to debate.

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 08:27 AM
EXACTLY, bouncy is good
http://cdn1.wn.com/pd/79/cb/9776acccdda8a9aa0b096479286c_grande.jpg

Nadal looks like his skin has broiled under the sun.

batz
12-05-2011, 10:00 AM

Wimbledon
06/25/2012 - 07/08/2012

Olympic Games 2012
07/27/2012 - 08/05/2012

Is this time enough?

Plenty of time - I have to cut my grass twice a week during June and July - and I'm 400 miles North of London. Grass grows like crazy at that time of year.

batz
12-05-2011, 10:02 AM

Andre Agassi says winning Olympic gold is his greatest achievement in tennis. Just saying.

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Andre Agassi says winning Olympic gold is his greatest achievement in tennis. Just saying.

:lol: Agassi wouldn't even have a career worth remembering with the gold medal alone. :D And most people don't even know he has a gold medal in tennis, nor do they care. Just like nobody cares about Massu and his gold medal. But if Massu had won Wimbledon or had been a world #1, everybody would remember him.:)

pennc94
12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I know this will sound like heresy, but they should consider using artificial turf (like most NFL and MLB arenas).

They can find one that has similar speed and bounce to the existing grass and not worry about the bare spots that develop that give rise to bad bounces.

They eventually added lights and a roof, why not artificial turf?

batz
12-05-2011, 12:43 PM
I know this will sound like heresy, but they should consider using artificial turf (like most NFL and MLB arenas).

They can find one that has similar speed and bounce to the existing grass and not worry about the bare spots that develop that give rise to bad bounces.

Wash your mouth out with soap!:)

Dealing with bad bounces is one of the things that makes grass grass and clay clay.

batz
12-05-2011, 12:45 PM
:lol: Agassi wouldn't even have a career worth remembering with the gold medal alone. :D And most people don't even know he has a gold medal in tennis, nor do they care. Just like nobody cares about Massu and his gold medal. But if Massu had won Wimbledon or had been a world #1, everybody would remember him.:)

You're pushing against an open door mate - I don't rate a gold medal as anywhere near as important as a slam win - I was just stating what a multiple slam winner said about winning gold.

marcub
12-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Wimbledon
06/25/2012 - 07/08/2012

Olympic Games 2012
07/27/2012 - 08/05/2012

Is this time enough?

Tough proposition. Even if they re-sod, it may not last decently throughout the tournament.

abeldm
12-05-2011, 12:49 PM

ummmmm no. no way.

They talked a lot about the process of transition between wimby and olympics this year... apparently they have been testing this for several years knowing they would be hosting the games.
There are several ways to help the seed germinate quickly and grow efficiently.... They have an excellent turf staff and will have no trouble growing in the overseeded courts with Rye grass. They will look just like they do at the beginning of wimbledon when the games roll around.

mental midget
12-05-2011, 03:28 PM
ummmmm no. no way.

They talked a lot about the process of transition between wimby and olympics this year... apparently they have been testing this for several years knowing they would be hosting the games.
There are several ways to help the seed germinate quickly and grow efficiently.... They have an excellent turf staff and will have no trouble growing in the overseeded courts with Rye grass. They will look just like they do at the beginning of wimbledon when the games roll around.

do we know how these courts will play relative to the wimbledon setup? is it the exact type of grass used during wimby or just something similar? do they intend to mimic the playability of the wimbledon tournament?

MichaelNadal
12-05-2011, 03:33 PM
I wish they'd use old school grass for the Olympics. Hopefully it's faster.

pound cat
12-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Wimbledon
06/25/2012 - 07/08/2012

Olympic Games 2012
07/27/2012 - 08/05/2012

Is this time enough?

They'll bring grass in on trucks. This grass is grown mostly in Kent on property belonging to owners of castles and large country homes which need major repairs, ( The common word used to describe large crumbling homes is "piles").

timnz
12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
What will the players do between Wimbledon and the Olympics to keep their grass court form up?

Have a lot of players enrolled to play Rhode Island this year? Is there any other grass court tournaments between Wimbledon and the Olympics?

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 04:28 PM
You're pushing against an open door mate - I don't rate a gold medal as anywhere near as important as a slam win - I was just stating what a multiple slam winner said about winning gold.

yeah but everybody knows Agassi is bat-sh*t crazy. Did you read his book? :lol:

vive le beau jeu !
12-06-2011, 03:17 AM
What will the players do between Wimbledon and the Olympics to keep their grass court form up?

Have a lot of players enrolled to play Rhode Island this year? Is there any other grass court tournaments between Wimbledon and the Olympics?
good point !
maybe this year newport will get a significantly better field than it usually does ? maybe some players who suffered an early exit at wimbledon will want to play the event in order to prepare for the olympics ?...

batz
12-06-2011, 04:49 AM
yeah but everybody knows Agassi is bat-sh*t crazy. Did you read his book? :lol:

I have - one of the best sports books I've ever read.

abeldm
12-06-2011, 04:52 AM
do we know how these courts will play relative to the wimbledon setup? is it the exact type of grass used during wimby or just something similar? do they intend to mimic the playability of the wimbledon tournament?

yes its the same grass they use for wimbledon... it should also play very similar to the beginning of wimby...

nadalwon2012
12-06-2011, 05:44 AM
:lol: Agassi wouldn't even have a career worth remembering with the gold medal alone. :D

:lol: Neither does Thomas Johansson with the Australian Open title alone :D