PDA

View Full Version : When will Djokovic start to look at building his legacy amongst the greats?

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 07:51 AM
The Slams are the factor when talking about historical significance. Djokovic still looks like he's in the mood to win many titles as opposed to doing what Nadal and Federer do which is to save their best for the Slams. Since both Nadal and Federer are playing for the sake of history and legacy and both want to keep adding to their Slam tally while taking it easier in the Masters tournies, when will Djokovic begin to go this route? To use the Masters as a way to improve form and then going all-out at the Slams?
If he's at 4 Slams, it's very very likely that people will really begin to take notice of where he stands amongst the greats if he can get into the range of 6 Slams. I believe it was at 6 Slams when people began to really start discussing Nadal's legacy on the boards and how much more he could achieve.
If Djokovic gets Roland Garros in 2012, will it be time to start talking about his standing amongst the best players throughout history (Agassi, Lendl, McEnroe)?

Sentinel
12-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Nole was very much interested in slams. Its just that Roger got in the way at RG. Otherwise, it could have been a CYGS.

I think his unbeaten run already put him into discussions ... several thread here about his best > Fred's best (Becker, iirc). He's definitely thinking about his legacy.

aphex
12-05-2011, 08:17 AM
He will not even be close to agassi, lendl or mcenroe if he just wins RG2012.

tusharlovesrafa
12-05-2011, 08:22 AM
He will not even be close to agassi, lendl or mcenroe if he just wins RG2012.

In my eyes he was G.O.A.T,he is G.O.A.T and will always remain G.O.A.T..:)

beast of mallorca
12-05-2011, 09:21 AM
In my eyes he was G.O.A.T,he is G.O.A.T and will always remain G.O.A.T..:)

Novak Djokovic.............GOAT forever ! Will win the Golden Slam next year !
Djokovic for the GOAT.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-05-2011, 11:43 AM
LOL scared *********s are so amusing.

beast of mallorca
12-05-2011, 04:23 PM

He, he, he I'm jumping ship and changing my name to Beast of Serbia, lol.

LeeD
12-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Nobody overcomes the injury bug.
It's attached to DJ right now.

hoodjem
12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
When will Djokovic start to look at building his legacy amongst the greats? Djokovic great?

Legacy? Djokovic?

OddJack
12-05-2011, 04:31 PM
He will look like building legacy if he wears sleeveless shirts, grows his hair and starts picking his butt.
Then Nadalites will be really scared.

beast of mallorca
12-05-2011, 04:35 PM
He will look like building legacy if he wears sleeveless shirts, grows his hair and starts picking his butt.
Then Nadalites will be really scared.

If that happens the cry baby Fed will be crying like a girl all the way upto the US Open saying it's not fair, and he'll retire because he can't get a break from 2 piratas, lol

infonoob
12-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I would put him a little above Safin imo.

MichaelNadal
12-05-2011, 04:47 PM
I would put him a little above Safin imo.

A little? As much as I love Safin and don't like Cockyvic, what he did this year put him a whole notch above Safin IMO.

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 05:14 PM
A little? As much as I love Safin and don't like Cockyvic, what he did this year put him a whole notch above Safin IMO.

Like seriously. What Djokovic did this year alone is basically better than Safin's entire career. :lol:

CocaCola
12-05-2011, 05:15 PM
No matter if he retires today, he's already a legend of the game. Just look at the Open era stats. He's top 10, top 15 everywhere.

tusharlovesrafa
12-05-2011, 10:06 PM
He, he, he I'm jumping ship and changing my name to Beast of Serbia, lol.

I will change my name to tusharlovesnovak or tusharwhooneslovedrafanowlovesnovak..:)

Telepatic
12-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Imo, he's already among second class greats, being in top 3 for so long in Fedal era and winning so many titles, it's great for his legacy and he will win more.

El Diablo
12-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Perhaps when he's had more than ONE really great year.....

Nathaniel_Near
12-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Djokovic isn't yet in the third tier of greats (Edberg, Wilander and such) in terms of accomplishments but given his tennis level I have little doubt that he will get there. He has good chances of reaching the second tier as well (Nadal, Connors, McEnroe, Agassi).

NadalAgassi
12-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Djokovic isn't yet in the third tier of greats (Edberg, Wilander and such) in terms of accomplishments but given his tennis level I have little doubt that he will get there. He has good chances of reaching the second tier as well (Nadal, Connors, McEnroe, Agassi).

McEnroe and Agassi are not on the same tier as Nadal and Connors.

Nathaniel_Near
12-06-2011, 12:43 PM
McEnroe and Agassi are not on the same tier as Nadal and Connors.

McEnroe won so many YEC's and I do count his brilliant all around tennis game and the achievements he managed in doubles for something. I see Agassi as being a notch above Edberg and Wilander and the like and so I placed him in tier 2; the fact that he won all four Majors is important to me.

Connors and Nadal are certainly greater in my mind than McEnroe and Agassi, and sit at the top of tier 2, but in tier 2 nonetheless. Nadal is currently in the process of forging his way into tier 1 and I have little doubt that he will achieve as such by the end of his career.

Feel free to post your rough tiers, I would be interested to see.

p.s. forgot to mention that Lendl is also tier 2.

NadalAgassi
12-06-2011, 12:52 PM
McEnroe won so many YEC's and I do count his brilliant all around tennis game and the achievements he managed in doubles for something. I see Agassi as being a notch above Edberg and Wilander and the like and so I placed him in tier 2; the fact that he won all four Majors is important to me.

Connors and Nadal are certainly greater in my mind than McEnroe and Agassi, and sit at the top of tier 2, but in tier 2 nonetheless. Nadal is currently in the process of forging his way into tier 1 and I have little doubt that he will achieve as such by the end of his career.

Feel free to post your rough tiers, I would be interested to see.

p.s. forgot to mention that Lendl is also tier 2.

Well mine would be (in no particular order among the tiers):

Tier 1: Laver, Sampras, Federer, Borg
Tier 2: Gonzales, Rosewall, Budge, Tilden, Nadal (Nadal being close to enterting tier 1 though), Connors, Lendl
Tier 3: McEnroe, Agassi, Kramer, Perry, Wilander, Cochet, Lacoste, Newcombe
Tier 4: Becker, Edberg, Hoad, Emerson, Sears, Renshaw, Doherty brothers

Djokovic needs 1 or possibly 2 more slams to enter tier 4 IMO. He needs 3 or 4 more to enter tier 3. If he wins the French and wins atleast 4 more he could enter tier 2 since many aspects of his career clearly trump McEnroe or Agassi already (year to year consistency, play across all surfaces).

Nathaniel_Near
12-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Well mine would be (in no particular order among the tiers):

Tier 1: Laver, Sampras, Federer, Borg
Tier 2: Gonzales, Rosewall, Budge, Tilden, Nadal (Nadal being close to enterting tier 1 though), Connors, Lendl
Tier 3: McEnroe, Agassi, Kramer, Perry, Wilander, Cochet, Lacoste, Newcombe
Tier 4: Becker, Edberg, Hoad, Emerson, Sears, Renshaw, Doherty brothers

Djokovic needs 1 or possibly 2 more slams to enter tier 4 IMO. He needs 3 or 4 more to enter tier 3. If he wins the French and wins atleast 4 more he could enter tier 2 since many aspects of his career clearly trump McEnroe or Agassi already (year to year consistency, play across all surfaces).

Fair list, and I agree that Nadal is close to entering tier 1.

Personally I'd bump up Rosewall to tier 1 and McEnroe and Agassi to tier 2 (as I already stated). Essentially in your system, you've added an extra tier to differentiate between the likes of Emerson/Edberg and Laver/Sampras etc and according to your system, I'd bump Becker, Emerson and perhaps Laurie Doherty up to tier 3. I admit right this instance that you certainly know more about tennis history than I do, but that would be my list according to my current levels of understanding for tennis.

I give Becker a tier notch above Edberg because of his vastly superior record at YEC's and a more stellar general career in terms of winning high level singles titles.

Evan77
12-06-2011, 07:44 PM
I think he is building his legacy now. He is capable of winning many majors. Who knows how many GS he will end up winning? It could be 8-10 or more, it could be none. We can only guess.

I do like both tier lists by Nathanien Near and NadalAgassi. Well done guys. Fair and unbiased.

zagor
12-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Djokovic great?

Legacy? Djokovic?

So I guess then for example Vilas and Nastase weren't great players, right?