PDA

View Full Version : News: Federer will chase #1 ranking in 2012

Raistlin
12-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Roger Federer believes that his strong finish to the 2011 season puts him ‘in the conversation’ for a run at the No. 1 South African Airways ATP Rankings later next year, even though the Swiss will begin the year a massive 5,460 points behind No. 1 Novak Djokovic.

During a wide-ranging interview with Christopher Clarey for The New York Times, Federer said that he was excited by the prospect of challenging for No. 1 and trying to surpass Pete Sampras’ record of 286 weeks in top spot. Federer fell just one week shy of equaling the Sampras record when he surrendered the No. 1 ranking to Nadal (for a second time) in June 2010.

“Well, that’s a long way to go, but who knows? One day maybe I’ll get there,” Federer said of the hunt for No. 1. “I had to just kind of ignore it at the moment because I know that Novak with his unbelievable year has kind of put that very far from me, but then again, all of the sudden you play well and you win 17 matches in a row and you’re back where you at least feel if you win a Slam or something, you’re right in the conversation again, so that’s interesting and that excites me.”

Federer ended 2011 by winning three consecutive tournaments, the Swiss Indoors Basel, the BNP Paribas Masters and the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, collecting 4,000 point that will stay on his 52-week ranking till very late in the 2012 season.

Federer also indicated to The New York Times that he would likely play in Switzerland’s first round Davis Cup tie on home soil against the United States in the first week of March. “I think it looks good that I will play, but I still just have to finalize my schedule,” said Federer, who has not contested a non-relegation Davis Cup tie since 2004.

Federer also revealed that he extended his partnership with coach Paul Annacone after his heartbreaking loss to Novak Djokovic in the US Open semi-finals, when the Serb saved two match points. “I know when someone is doing a good job and when someone is not,” said Federer, who said he told Annacone, “Just because Novak smashed a forehand past me, and I missed match point, has no effect on my decision in working with you.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/12/Features/Federer-Will-Chase-No1-Ranking.aspx

I think it is possible ;)

tennis_pro
12-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I think the Australian Open will be crucial. If he wins there he'll get very close to no 2 in the rankings or just surpass Nadal at that point.

That would totally change the draws with him being seeded 2 and Djokovic first thus avoid him before the final. Nadal could well be drawn against Djokovic in the semis.

It's all hypothetical but 100 % possible.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-05-2011, 11:41 AM
The only way Fed has a chance at this is if he gets as angry as he was after losing AO08.

woodrow1029
12-05-2011, 11:43 AM
I think the Australian Open will be crucial. If he wins there he'll get very close to no 2 in the rankings or just surpass Nadal at that point.

That would totally change the draws with him being seeded 2 and Djokovic first thus avoid him before the final. Nadal could well be drawn against Djokovic in the semis.

It's all hypothetical but 100 % possible.

The highlighted sentence is going to draw blood with some posters!

Bobby Jr
12-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Federer was in a jovial mood when he did this interview. This is clearly in the Swiss/German brand of dry humour.

"Well, that's a long way to go, but who knows? One day maybe I'll get there," Federer said of the hunt for No. 1.

..Federer, who said he told Annacone, "Just because Novak smashed a forehand past me, and I missed match point, has no effect on my decision in working with you."

Emet74
12-05-2011, 02:28 PM
These articles are always written to sensationalize and twist people's words, if not misquote them directly. The article starts.

"Roger Federer believes that his strong finish to the 2011 season puts him ‘in the conversation’ for a run at the No. 1 South African Airways ATP Rankings later next year,"

Wrong. If you read the quote he says he would be "in the conversation" for #1if he were to win a GS next year in addition to his end of 2011 performance.

Sorry to sound sour, but how careless/lazy are these folks?

Towser83
12-05-2011, 02:36 PM
yeah it makes it sound like he's on a mission to do it, when he's just saying if he can win a slam it might be possible at sometime in the year.

msc886
12-05-2011, 03:00 PM
It's nice to see him still hanging in there despite being well past his prime. I believe if he works hard on his fitness (his footwork looked really tired sometimes) + a bit of luck, he can do it.

pound cat
12-05-2011, 03:03 PM
The only way Fed has a chance at this is if he gets as angry as he was after losing AO08.

You mean by crying??? Oh my.

Polaris
12-05-2011, 03:07 PM

Wasn't the crying after AO 09?

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 03:07 PM

He said AO08. Not AO09.

OddJack
12-05-2011, 03:08 PM
5460 looks like lots of points, but when you look at Djokers 3 majors and 5 masters and none for Rodge with only one master it becomes very doable.

beast of mallorca
12-05-2011, 04:21 PM
The top 2-4 are chasing the number 1 ranking in 2012. That's not anything new.

Mustard
12-05-2011, 04:26 PM
The top 2-4 are chasing the number 1 ranking in 2012. That's not anything new.

Don't forget the top 1 as well, who's a hunted man.

TopFH
12-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Fed needs AO for it to happen. It would also help that both Nadal and Djokovic lose early.

beast of mallorca
12-05-2011, 04:32 PM

Sorry Mus, did not include him because he's not really gonna chase the #1 but instead will just have to maintain his stature.

Mustard
12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Sorry Mus, did not include him because he's not really gonna chase the #1 but instead will just have to maintain his stature.

Yes, it must be lonely up there as number 1, knowing that everyone wants your spot and that you're going to have to work harder than ever to stay there.

MichaelNadal
12-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Yes, it must be lonely up there as number 1, knowing that everyone wants your spot and that you're going to have to work harder than ever to stay there.

One thing is for sure, i'd bet every penny I have he won't make it to the FO semi's undefeated. He can start kissing points goodbye now.

TheMusicLover
12-05-2011, 04:53 PM
I have yet to see any top player's comments at the end of a season claiming that he'll not be chasing #1 in the upcoming season. Pretty sure Federer remembers all too well what happened last year when he was in the exact same situation... ;)

Nathaniel_Near
12-05-2011, 04:55 PM
One thing is for sure, i'd bet every penny I have he won't make it to the FO semi's undefeated. He can start kissing points goodbye now.

Too true.

10veritablesausages

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 05:02 PM

Every #1 is a hunted man, Mustard. :D

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 05:07 PM

And you also have to work harder than ever to get to number 1. Everybody wants it but only the best will get it.

monfed
12-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Just like how it's improbable that Nadal will defend all those final appearances at Masters and slams. :lol:

Mainad
12-05-2011, 05:41 PM
5460 looks like lots of points, but when you look at Djokers 3 majors and 5 masters and none for Rodge with only one master it becomes very doable.

Don't forget Roger has the WTF to defend again as well.

nikdom
12-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Don't forget Roger has the WTF to defend again as well.

Isn't it the last tourny of the year? How does it compare to what djoko has to defend all through the year?

Sentinel
12-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Just like how it's improbable that Nadal will defend all those final appearances at Masters and slams. :lol:
You should have replied with one of those MJ gifs :) that MN uses on everyone else.

tusharlovesrafa
12-05-2011, 07:31 PM
He is already NO.1 in my eyes..

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Isn't it the last tourny of the year? How does it compare to what djoko has to defend all through the year?

So basically nobody should try to win every tournament they possibly can because it will bite them in the ***** the next year? :lol:
Tennis is truly the strangest sport ever. Why the hell did you have to win everything, Djokovic? Don't you realize what you've done?!?!?!? :evil: You should've bowed out at Wimbledon in the 3rd round and skipped Madrid and Montreal! (presuming Djokovic reads this forum)

SirGounder
12-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Djokovic is going to have his work cut out for him. He won so much meaning he has tons of points to defend. Let's see if he's up to the task.

As for Federer, at this stage in his career, I would hope that he still wants the #1 ranking back.

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Djokovic is going to have his work cut out for him. He won so much meaning he has tons of points to defend. Let's see if he's up to the task.

As for Federer, at this stage in his career, I would hope that he still wants the #1 ranking back.

Djokovic can sacrifice a few Masters titles and put most emphasis on the Slams. He'll be smart regarding his preparation for 2012. He's still the youngest of the top 4 guys but far mentally superior to Murray. And he has extreme confidence in his ability to beat anybody in the world.

Zildite
12-05-2011, 07:51 PM
So basically nobody should try to win every tournament they possibly can because it will bite them in the ***** the next year? :lol:
Tennis is truly the strangest sport ever. Why the hell did you have to win everything, Djokovic? Don't you realize what you've done?!?!?!? :evil: You should've bowed out at Wimbledon in the 3rd round and skipped Madrid and Montreal! (presuming Djokovic reads this forum)

Yeah just because he has lots of potential points to defend doesn't really mean he has to. Just do better than everyone else.
Fed has won two Masters and one major in the last two years (2 WTFs helps) so he needs a big improvement next season to get back to number one. I think it's more on him to do better than it is on Djokovic to repeat his results.

merwy
12-05-2011, 09:23 PM

Ofcourse to be N.1 at the end of the year you just have to win more points than the others in that year. But when we're talking about Fed's chances of becoming number 1, the "defending points" stuff becomes important. Federer performed really well at the end of the season while Djokovic did well everywhere BUT the end of the season. This gives Djokovic a lot of points to defend, almost all of them in the first half of the season. If Federer manages to do well in that period of time he has a good chance of being number 1 before Basel starts because of all the points he gets from the end of 2011

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Ofcourse to be N.1 at the end of the year you just have to win more points than the others in that year. But when we're talking about Fed's chances of becoming number 1, the "defending points" stuff becomes important. Federer performed really well at the end of the season while Djokovic did well everywhere BUT the end of the season. This gives Djokovic a lot of points to defend, almost all of them in the first half of the season. If Federer manages to do well in that period of time he has a good chance of being number 1 before Basel starts because of all the points he gets from the end of 2011

We have to be realistic. Federer can no longer just turn it on when he pleases. For 2 years straight now, Federer has had relatively poor results after the AO (by his standards). When was the last time he won Indian Wells, Miami, Rome or Madrid? I recall it was 2009 when he won Madrid. He didn't even make the finals of Montreal or Cincy this year. How can people on this forum simply presume that Federer is going to rack up tons of points in 2012 just because he has points to gain? When does a player suddenly start getting better results than he did in prior years when he's in his 30s?
The WTF means nothing. It's impossible to ride any momentum or wave of confidence from a November indoor tournament in London against fairly tired players all the way to the immense heat in Melbourne 2 months later where everybody will be raring to go with a renewed passion.

Fate Archer
12-05-2011, 10:38 PM
We have to be realistic. Federer can no longer just turn it on when he pleases. For 2 years straight now, Federer has had relatively poor results after the AO (by his standards). When was the last time he won Indian Wells, Miami, Rome or Madrid? I recall it was 2009 when he won Madrid. He didn't even make the finals of Montreal or Cincy this year. How can people on this forum simply presume that Federer is going to rack up tons of points in 2012 just because he has points to gain? When does a player suddenly start getting better results than he did in prior years when he's in his 30s?
The WTF means nothing. It's impossible to ride any momentum or wave of confidence from a November indoor tournament in London against fairly tired players all the way to the immense heat in Melbourne 2 months later where everybody will be raring to go with a renewed passion.

Don't think Fed needs to win all the master series he plays in. If he can keep making the semis or sometimes better on most masters from the march hardcourt swing until Rome like he did somewhat this year and focus on the slams for the big points he will be in a good position.

Also disagree on WTF and how it affects momentum. Fed rides on a wave of confidence and momentum right now just like he did last year.
What I think it happened this year is that he peaked too soon in Doha and after his 5 setter with Simon he wasn't riding on the same confidence as he was just before.

That match really broke his momentum and affected Fed for the rest of the tournament I think, it was visible in his play in the next few rounds (unconvincing round against Malisse and needing 4 sets to dispatch Robredo). Still put up a good fight against Novak but to beat him with the kind of tennis Novak was playing in that tournament Fed would need to be in full flight, no less.

Also, the indoors season is also played on hardcourts, and as far as I know, the Rod Laver Arena is not as windy as the Arthur Ashe stadium or other avenues more affected by weather conditions. Heat was never quite Fed's problem, he prepares himself to play under the heat of the australian summer during his off-season by training in Dubai or other similar locations.

Plus, Rod Laver Arena also has a roof, so if any other adverse condition comes in play such as rain or extreme heat, that would come in Fed's favor.

Anyway, it will depend more on Fed's showings in the Slams than any other tournaments. This upcoming AO will be crucial to Fed's ambition of getting the #1 ranking back.

MichaelNadal
12-05-2011, 11:03 PM

I know it is, but there's a substantial point difference between being in a final, and winning a tournament. Djokovic won every tournament he played up until the FO semi's. It's simply not gonna happen again. Nadal crashed out early in the AO and Novak won it, just right there he has plenty of opportunity for gain.

Sentinel
12-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Considering you started watching tennis in May, and stopped in June, that was quite fast.
Most Rafa fans take life-times to realize that :D :D

Mike Sams
12-05-2011, 11:12 PM
I know it is, but there's a substantial point difference between being in a final, and winning a tournament. Djokovic won every tournament he played up until the FO semi's. It's simply not gonna happen again. Nadal crashed out early in the AO and Novak won it, just right there he has plenty of opportunity for gain.

Nadal crashed out in week 2. The same stage he lost in the year prior.

Povl Carstensen
12-05-2011, 11:29 PM
How can people on this forum simply presume that Federer is going to rack up tons of points in 2012 just because he has points to gain? I don't think people here presume that Federer is simply going to rack up tons of points, they're just discussing the possibility that he might rack up enough, which also has to do with how well his competitors will be doing.

Fate Archer
12-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Considering you started watching tennis in May, and stopped in June, that was quite fast.

LOL

10FedisthetrueGOATs

15_ounce
12-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Federer will serve and volley his way to The Golden Slam of 2012 with a wooden racquet.

TennisLovaLova
12-06-2011, 03:00 AM

Anger will pull him to the dark side: --> the comeback of Darth Federer

Agreed. But I really hope Fed doesnt adopt this way of thinking, he'd start loosing and then believing he still has his chances in the upcoming tournaments. He must win every tournament he plays. That's the mindset he needs.

Federer stood still on top of the hill. Let's see how Djokovic is gonna handle the pressure, sorry the hyperbar pressure :twisted:

Fed needs AO for it to happen. It would also help that both Nadal and Djokovic lose early.

Won't happen. Hope and expect top 4 semis in all slams except RG where Murray will be out before semis.

You're a true Federer fan. Respect for this deep comment.:)

Federer will serve and volley his way to The Golden Slam of 2012 with a wooden racquet.

With a spaghetti string for better top spin.
http://i.eurosport.fr/2006/05/30/282836-1129677-317-238.jpg

tusharlovesrafa
12-06-2011, 03:23 AM

LOL..nice one..I think fed's talent is superior to any one currently playing..so i am not blind to realize the obvious.:twisted:

nadalwon2012
12-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Federer isn't one of the top 2 outdoor players anymore. But he is great chance for 2012 World Tour Finals and Basel.

Sentinel
12-06-2011, 04:24 AM
I'll take to alcohol (out of joy) if he wins 4 with any kind of racquet.

If he wins 3 or even 2, I'll have a sip or glug of champers or wine to celebrate.

Wilander Fan
12-06-2011, 04:50 AM
I think there a a few real spoilers out there now. Murray probably is more motivated than anyone and could become a monster. He has all the weapons that Novak has along with a better serve.

joeri888
12-06-2011, 04:56 AM
^^ Uhm. No. He has not the same power on his forehand, he doesn't have the same backhand, esp. when it comes to consistency, but could improve, I agree. However, his second serve is horrid compared to Novak's.

Besides, Murray doesn't have a forehand up the line.

nikdom
12-06-2011, 06:33 AM
I think there a a few real spoilers out there now. Murray probably is more motivated than anyone and could become a monster. He has all the weapons that Novak has along with a better serve.

WF, you are generally pretty knowledgeable, but Murray having a better serve than Djokovic? The guy has a dismal first serve percentage and one of the most powder puff second serves in the game. No way is his serve better than djokovic's.

Wilander Fan
12-06-2011, 06:52 AM
I think Murray is as good off both wings as Novak but plays very defensively. Ive seen him hit some ferocious forehands. Not particularly a Murray fan but i remember thinking he had bulked up and looked much more intimidating in Shanghai.

ZeroSkid
12-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I just want him to break petes record

Nathaniel_Near
12-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I expect 2012 to be a blockbuster year in tennis! I expect to see great match-ups between Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, Murray, Tsonga and Del Potro and to see three different winners of Majors. All the top players are gonna come to the party and produce their best (I hope).

Nathaniel_Near
12-06-2011, 02:28 PM

No he doesn't. His forehand is inferior and his method of movement requires much more energy. Where's he really gonna go unless he can learn to hit his FH dtl line as a genuine rally-changing option. Even his BH dtl is becoming lost to him.

JamieSafe
12-06-2011, 02:36 PM
He can do it. Belieeeve

Nathaniel_Near
12-06-2011, 02:42 PM
He can do it. Belieeeve

If Federer tries very hard next year than I am positive that he can play some nice tennis and win some matches!

timnz
12-06-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't know if Federer will or will not reclaim the number 1. What I do know, is that it is realistic for he himself to think it is possible.

After all - he beat Djokovic in Paris and had 2 match points in New York. He trounced Nadal in London. Now these don't prove he can overwhelm those guys - but they do show that he is jolly competitive with them.

Mainad
12-06-2011, 03:51 PM
No he doesn't. His forehand is inferior and his method of movement requires much more energy. Where's he really gonna go unless he can learn to hit his FH dtl line as a genuine rally-changing option. Even his BH dtl is becoming lost to him.

He won match-point in the Japan Open with a stunning forehand down the line.
He can certainly hit them but he just instinctively prefers to go cross court with it most of the time. Its certainly one he could develop and use a bit more.
His backhand is his best shot bar none and the most consistent. The equal of anybody else's backhand IMO.

Mike Sams
12-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Federer has a great chance of taking the #2. Not sure he'll get #1. The Federer aura of years past is gone.

Nathaniel_Near
12-06-2011, 06:18 PM
He won match-point in the Japan Open with a stunning forehand down the line.
He can certainly hit them but he just instinctively prefers to go cross court with it most of the time. Its certainly one he could develop and use a bit more.
His backhand is his best shot bar none and the most consistent. The equal of anybody else's backhand IMO.

No ****. A pro player can sometimes hit forehand winners down the line? Come on. It doesn't do anything to rebuke the initial reasoning. As for Murray's BH, I prefer Djokovic's right now, defensively and offensively.

Murray can win Slams but with his current arsenal it's gonna be difficult for him to show he has enough against the other top guys with probably bigger guns at the very latest stages of Majors.

nhat8121
12-06-2011, 07:57 PM
fed won't make no1

celoft
12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Could happen with Djokovic and Nadal being so injury prone these days.

jackson vile
12-29-2011, 08:25 AM
I think it is possible ;)

****s disagree with Federer here, however I think that he is building on something and simply things did not pan out for him in 2011. Things are a lot more difficult right now, if it were the old crew of Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, etc Roger would have had no problem.

decades
12-29-2011, 08:26 AM
and when I enter a 100 meter dash I will "chase" Usain Bolt.

CDestroyer
12-29-2011, 08:44 AM
1. He can't beat Nadal at any of the majors.

2. I think Novak can beat him anywhere now.

So unless those two are injured or beaten by someone else he wont be able to win even 1 major in 2012. He will never be # 1 again.

beast of mallorca
12-29-2011, 08:51 AM

So unless those two are injured or beaten by someone else he wont be able to win even 1 major in 2012. He will never be # 1 again.

Your crystal ball is probably Made in China. Never say never, doofus. Federer may be a crybaby, but don't underestimate the 16 time GS champion. He just beat the Buttpicker last time they met and Djoker maybe harboring some rusty play or ? injury, so the Crybaby is not yet done.

celoft
12-29-2011, 08:52 AM

Outside of the HC slams too? You think Djokovic can beat Federer at RG or Wimbledon?

CDestroyer
12-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Your crystal ball is probably Made in China. Never say never, doofus. Federer may be a crybaby, but don't underestimate the 16 time GS champion. He just beat the Buttpicker last time they met and Djoker maybe harboring some rusty play or ? injury, so the Crybaby is not yet done.

Never, never nadalwon2012. How many accounts do you have on here 6?

CDestroyer
12-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Outside of the HC slams too? You think Djokovic can beat Federer at RG or Wimbledon?

Yes sirrrr.

jackson vile
12-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes sirrrr.

I really can't explain Novak's performance that the FO this year, we did not talk about much here. Was he outclassed or simply surprised by Federer's performance?