PDA

View Full Version : Who Else Has Switched Nationalities?

kimbahpnam
12-05-2011, 02:35 PM
In light of Bogo's switch, who else has done it in ATP's history?

Monsieur_DeLarge
12-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Canadian-born Greg Rusedski did it in the '90s. Going back further, Jaroslav Drobny switched in the 1950s, possibly more than once. That's two I can think of offhand, but there's bound to be more.

EDIT: After perusing Wikipedia to confirm, Drobny was born in the former Czechoslovakia, took Egyptian citizenship first in 1949, and then became a British citizen ten years later.

Regards,
MDL

norbac
12-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Fish is actually Swedish.....

Monsieur_DeLarge
12-05-2011, 02:48 PM
And of course (he says sheepishly, embarrassed at forgetting them), there were Cold War defections during the '80s like Navratilova and Lendl. Seles was born in Novi Sad in the former Yugoslavia, but I don't know how early she adopted US citizenship ~ it might have been prior to her career, in which case she didn't ever need to switch?

Regards,
MDL

Monsieur_DeLarge
12-05-2011, 02:49 PM
And... Venus switched in 2010. ;)

pound cat
12-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Jelena Dokic, Serbia to Australia, AlexBogomolov Jr,,,USA to Russia, Davydenko, a Ukrainian, to Russia, Hingis Slovakia (?} to Switzerland

And then there are all the players who now play for Kazakstan. mostly Russians

They switch to whatever country will give them the best deals.

Pro tennis is all about making the most money you can as fast as you can...before you get injured...or old in tennis years.

timnz
12-05-2011, 03:26 PM
And of course (he says sheepishly, embarrassed at forgetting them), there were Cold War defections during the '80s like Navratilova and Lendl. Seles was born in Novi Sad in the former Yugoslavia, but I don't know how early she adopted US citizenship ~ it might have been prior to her career, in which case she didn't ever need to switch?

Regards,
MDL

Navratilova was a defection - Lendl's wasn't. He just became a US citizen in the late 80's.

Seles became a US citizen during her career I recall.

Legend of Borg
12-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Sesil Karatancheva

Bulgaria to Kazakhstan

Mustard
12-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Dokic went from Australian to Serbian (then Serbia and Montenegro) to back to being Australian again. Seles became a US citizen in 1994 and played under the American flag from then on, having previous represented Yugoslavia. Lendl became a US citizen in July 1992 and played under the American flag from then on, having previously represented Czechoslovakia. There's also Hana Mandlikova, going from Czech to Australian in 1988.

Rusedski going from Canadian to British in June 1995 seemed to cause the most controversy. Mark Petchey, a British player at the time, was really against it, and didn't hide his delight when he beat Rusedski 6-4, 1-6, 6-3, at 1995 Queen's Club in Rusedski's first tournament as a British player.

Monsieur_DeLarge
12-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Rusedski going from Canadian to British in June 1995 seemed to cause the most controversy. Mark Petchey, a British player at the time, was really against it, and didn't hide his delight when he beat Rusedski 6-4, 1-6, 6-3, at 1995 Queen's Club in Rusedski's first tournament as a British player.

Canadians weren't too happy about it either:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/canadians-give-rusedski-a-rough-reception-1593336.html
:)

Regards,
MDL

Mainad
12-05-2011, 06:05 PM

Why was Petchey so against it? Did he think Rusedski was getting favourable treatment over native-born players or something?

Mustard
12-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Why was Petchey so against it? Did he think Rusedski was getting favourable treatment over native-born players or something?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rusedski-falls-as-petchey-proves-his-point-1586451.html

Here's an article on it :)

Mainad
12-05-2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rusedski-falls-as-petchey-proves-his-point-1586451.html

Here's an article on it :)

Thanks. After reading it, I'm still not totally clear on what Petchey's objections were. Was it because Rusedski was ranked so much higher than him and therefore automatically became British no.1? What happened to Henman that year? Why did he need a wildcard to get into Wimbledon?

BobFL
12-05-2011, 06:51 PM
In some cases it is not really 'switching' but "dual citizenship"...

Mustard
12-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks. After reading it, I'm still not totally clear on what Petchey's objections were. Was it because Rusedski was ranked so much higher than him and therefore automatically became British no.1?

Something like that. Petchey was British number 2 before Rusedski's defection behind Jeremy Bates.

What happened to Henman that year? Why did he need a wildcard to get into Wimbledon?

Henman was still early in his career back then, although he became notorious for getting defaulted in a doubles match at Wimbledon that year. It wasn't until 1996 Wimbledon, really, that he made his breakthrough into the proper mainstream, when he beat the newly crowned French Open champion, Kafelnikov, from match points down in the Wimbledon first round, and went on to reach the quarter finals.

AtomicForehand
12-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Fish is actually Swedish.....

What? Where did you hear that?

kishnabe
12-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Tommy Haas from German to Amercian!

Fee
12-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Tommy Haas from German to Amercian!

Tommy never actually switched, it was apparently a misunderstanding in the ATP. He has dual citizenship, but he plays under the German flag.

Amer Delic has switched, with the blessing of the USTA, and he plays for Bosnia now (or Bosnia-Herzgovenia, I think).

Cecil Mamit and someone whose name suddenly escapes me switched from the US to the Philippines a few years ago.

Djoker_69
12-06-2011, 02:04 AM
I can't remeber all the details but im pretty sure Evgeny Korolev switched, can someone help me :)

vive le beau jeu !
12-06-2011, 02:12 AM
what about kriek and curren ?... did they keep their south-african citizenship ?

dirtballer
12-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Bob Hewitt, the one who has all the allegations against him, switched from Australia to South Africa.

Junior Prodigy
12-06-2011, 04:04 AM
I remember there were rumours flying about a couple of years ago when Djokovic was playing against GB in the Davis Cup before he was a massive player that he would be switching from Serbia to GB, they missed the boat on that one :(

batz
12-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Novak almost switched from Serbia to Britain. Man, what a Davis Cup tram that would've been!

Hankenstein
12-06-2011, 05:57 AM
Nick Lindahl had a very short period as a Swedish player (from December 2010 to June 2011) before switching back to Australia again.

Jean René Lisnard changed from France to Monaco 2007

dr325i
12-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Novak almost switched from Serbia to Britain. Man, what a Davis Cup tram that would've been!

A total BS.
He never even thought about it, the whole thing was a misunderstanding...

batz
12-06-2011, 06:27 AM
A total BS.
He never even thought about it, the whole thing was a misunderstanding...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/jun/29/wimbledon2006.wimbledon10

I guess the direct quotes were lies?

"You always try to search for a better life, for something that is better for you and for your career," said Djokovic, who unlike the Canadian-born Rusedski, whose mother is British, has no such family connections to the UK. "It would be difficult but Monica Seles and a couple of other players, ranked 200 or 300, went to Canada; from Croatia they went to the USA. You cannot blame somebody for looking for something that is better for him, his career and his family.

Rina
12-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Monika Seles became US citizen in 1994, during which time athletes from Yugoslavia were not alowed to compete due to sanctions. Whether she would've played under US flag anyway that I don't know. She could not play for Yugoslavia/Serbia under the sanctions.

bluetrain4
12-06-2011, 11:16 AM
First, I thought Bogo had dual citizenship?

He's not changing "nationalities," but is changing what country he plays for. BTW, did he ever represent the U.S. in Davis Cup or otherwise?

Also, did Pierce ever play for the U.S., or just France. She also had dual citizenship, correct?

Mustard
12-06-2011, 11:58 AM
First, I thought Bogo had dual citizenship?

He does, but he now represents Russia and is available for their Davis Cup team.

He's not changing "nationalities," but is changing what country he plays for. BTW, did he ever represent the U.S. in Davis Cup or otherwise?

No, Bogomolov Jr. never played for the US Davis Cup team.

Also, did Pierce ever play for the U.S., or just France. She also had dual citizenship, correct?

Pierce was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and moved to the US at some point in her childhood, but she's always represented France as a professional tennis player. She has French, Canadian and American citizenship. Seles is also a citizen of 3 countries, the USA, Serbia and Hungary.