PDA

View Full Version : Does Asia Deserve a Slam?

jamesblakefan#1
12-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Some seem to think that Asia is the next frontier for tennis, and there certainly seems to be some truth to that. Some even feel that Asia should be given its own Grand Slam event in order to help spur on the growth of tennis in the region. Where do you stand on the issue? Do you ever feel there will be a Grand Slam event held in Asia?

Nathaniel_Near
12-06-2011, 01:11 PM
No, they certainly don't.

But today is today, and tomorrow is another.

LameTennisPlayer
12-06-2011, 01:15 PM
The AO is the grand slam of Asia/Pacific so ill say no.

Mustard
12-06-2011, 01:16 PM
There are 4 majors:

Australian Open
French Open
Wimbledon
US Open

This is how it should always be.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Majors should be by continent. N.America has one. Australia has one. Europe has 2. Remove one from Europe - FO. France definitely doesn't deserve it, they're practically 2nd world. GIve one to Asia, maybe Japan or China.

Homeboy Hotel
12-06-2011, 01:24 PM
No.

This is probably Asia on a good day during the ex-Masters Cup final, kind of like a free drop in session:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7JzyQ9ooAo8/TgLvHl_BboI/AAAAAAAABdg/gMTmHu-CYfQ/s1600/tennis_shanghai3.jpg

Asia is VERY lucky to have it's 2-3 week swing concluded by a Masters 1000, also use to to hold the Masters Cup final. That is enough for Asia, the demand is not there for any more.

ATP would want to cut tournaments in Asia than get the ITF to bring in a slam.

These four are the perfectly working, timed and traditional slams:
Australian Open
Roland Garros
The Championships*
US Open

*yeah, it's not called Wimbledon really.

Bobby Jr
12-06-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm all against moving tradition in sports with some trumped up "it's time to be inclusive" etc type justification when the only reason they'd really consider one is TV revenue.

It's the reason we have a number of Formula One races in Asia and the middle east despite there being no truly standout or competitive drivers from the region in the sport, ever.

Tennis will move a slam to Japan/China/Singapore long after they've got one in South America who have a much longer and closer affinity with tennis.

cork_screw
12-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Yes, the 5th Grandslam I've always said should be in Shanghai. Every great city deserves a slam. People bring up Indian Wells. Well we already have one here in NY, we don't need two in the same country. Shanghai would be awesome because it's so different than any other country in terms of culture and each slam currently is venued in a country that is so disimilar from one and another that it makes each special and unique. Someone else mentioned every continent has one, and I totally agree. Every continent should have one, then the highlighted country of that continent and then you should select a prominant city from that country and Shanghai is the capital of asia. It's basically a new york equivalent to asia. China also puts a lot of effort into their tennis events, having it in Shanghai would be amazing.

sportsfan1
12-06-2011, 01:36 PM
The answer's simple really - demand and supply. If a region, whether its Asia or South America, can bring in the kind of revenue - attendance at the games, sponsors, TV audience - that existing slam locations do, or even better surpass them, then yeah, a slam should be held there.
Conversely, unless the region can sustain it, slams shouldn't be there for other non-sport reasons.

LameTennisPlayer
12-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Majors should be by continent. N.America has one. Australia has one. Europe has 2. Remove one from Europe - FO. France definitely doesn't deserve it, they're practically 2nd world. GIve one to Asia, maybe Japan or China.

what about antartica??? u want one there too?

Hood_Man
12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't think there's room for a 5th major. 3-4 months between the end of the Oz Open and the start of the French Open really isn't that long imo.

Bobby Jr
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Yes, the 5th Grandslam I've always said should be in Shanghai. Every great city deserves a slam.
In that case Mumbai or Buenos Aires - both are great cities which have decades longer and closer association with tennis.

As I said in a post above I am dead against the recent trend to share sporting events around based on nothing but potential revenue spikes.

Towser83
12-06-2011, 01:43 PM

Yeah, we could have a 4th surface. Ice!!! imagine the injuries

kishnabe
12-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Hell no.....that would ruin the sport. The four slams are historic and changing it would detriment past players and dreams of future players.

Asia having a gs....they never deserve it and never should. Disgusting.....though they should have MS1000 and even WTF. Grand Slam....no way!

Roddick85
12-06-2011, 02:00 PM
No.

This is probably Asia on a good day during the ex-Masters Cup final, kind of like a free drop in session:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7JzyQ9ooAo8/TgLvHl_BboI/AAAAAAAABdg/gMTmHu-CYfQ/s1600/tennis_shanghai3.jpg

Asia is VERY lucky to have it's 2-3 week swing concluded by a Masters 1000, also use to to hold the Masters Cup final. That is enough for Asia, the demand is not there for any more.

ATP would want to cut tournaments in Asia than get the ITF to bring in a slam.

These four are the perfectly working, timed and traditional slams:
Australian Open
Roland Garros
The Championships*
US Open

Totally agree with you, Asia is already lucky to have it's own Master's 1000. The amount of people in attendance says it all. In my opinion, broadcasting this tournament worldwide hurts the ATP's image more than anything, it's not good for they're image to show a tournament on TV with a crowd comparable to the local junior tournament of your local tennis club.

ZeroSkid
12-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Yes they do need a slam but not now maybe in 10 years, when tennis is bigger there

Shaolin
12-06-2011, 02:21 PM
South America needs one before Asia.

Nathaniel_Near
12-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Asia deserves to be slammed for their pathetic turnout at tennis events.

Devilito
12-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Asia deserves to be slammed for their pathetic turnout at tennis events.

lol totally agree. When they have a million people lining up at the gates to get tickets and salivating at the chance to watch pro tennis then we’ll start talking about tennis in Asia again. So far it’s the most pathetic display in history. For such populated countries with an addiction to ping pong and badminton their lack of interest in tennis is legendary. As far as I’m concerned I couldn’t care less if another tennis ball was every hit again in Shanghai.

ninman
12-06-2011, 03:06 PM
lol totally agree. When they have a million people lining up at the gates to get tickets and salivating at the chance to watch pro tennis then we’ll start talking about tennis in Asia again. So far it’s the most pathetic display in history. For such populated countries with an addiction to ping pong and badminton their lack of interest in tennis is legendary. As far as I’m concerned I couldn’t care less if another tennis ball was every hit again in Shanghai.

You do realise that despite the massive population most people can't afford tickets. Not only that tennis rarely if ever shown on tv. I recall watching the 2009 US Open final, which kept cutting out in the middle of rallies and then they stopped broadcasting it altogether in the middle of set 3.

Devilito
12-06-2011, 03:15 PM
You do realise that despite the massive population most people can't afford tickets. Not only that tennis rarely if ever shown on tv. I recall watching the 2009 US Open final, which kept cutting out in the middle of rallies and then they stopped broadcasting it altogether in the middle of set 3.

I do realize, however until they can get their act together tough luck. Look, I sympathize with the low wages in China however it seems to me that they’d rather have an empty stadium than lower prices to the point where fans can afford it. And the fact that they don’t show much tennis on TV is a testament to how uninterested the population is with tennis. I don’t see why they wouldn’t show it if there was a demand.

timnz
12-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Huh, where do you get the idea that France is second world? It is one of the richest countries in the EU, it has more tourists every year than any other country in the world. It is famous for its art, culture, intellectuals, architecture......Weird that you would say this.

BeHappy
12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Why would you support an evil totalitarian communist regime by giving them a tennis tournament?

That's like saying there should have been a grand slam in Johannesburg under Apartheid.

Mainad
12-06-2011, 03:40 PM
To be fair when we speak of poor audience figures at Asian tournaments we are really speaking mainly of China. I think the audience attendances at the recent Japan Open in Tokyo were much more respectable. Certainly the final was very well attended.

The Japanese seem to support their tennis tournaments much more than their Chinese neighbours do probably because they have a much longer tennis tradition. I don't think its quite fair to tar Japan with the same brush as China. If any Asian country deserves recognition, I think it should be Japan or maybe India.

OddJack
12-06-2011, 04:59 PM
That would be Murray's major.

He would love to see one in Japan.

Crisstti
12-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Why would you support an evil totalitarian communist regime by giving them a tennis tournament?

That's like saying there should have been a grand slam in Johannesburg under Apartheid.

$$$$$$$$

No one appears to care about the human rights situation in China... I mean, the Olympics anyone?.

NadalAgassi
12-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Which one would they drop. I read a few times the Australian Open is in financial trouble so maybe that would be the one.

jamesblakefan#1
12-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Which one would they drop. I read a few times the Australian Open is in financial trouble so maybe that would be the one.

Not saying you're wrong, but AO did set it's single day attendance mark last year, though the total attendance for the event wound up lower than 2010.

http://www.thesportscampus.com/201101229915/the-business-of-sports/australian-open-2011-sets-new-attendance-record-on-saturday

The USO is also peaking in attendance, though it was down slightly last year.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/08/30/Research-and-Ratings/US-Open-gate.aspx

Roland Garros might have been the one to move, but since they announced a new stadium I don't think they're leaving anytime soon (and it's hard for me to imagine a CC slam being in Asia :shock:)

Not even going to question if Wimbledon would ever cease to exist. The day that happens would be the day hell freezes over. Why would the ITF agree to let one of these events lose slam status when they all seem to be doing succesfully?

The other thing to think of, re. adding a 5th slam, is that do people really think that the FFT, Tennis Australia, LTA, and USTA would just let Asia receive a slam, and in the process devalue the prestige of their own events overnight?

helloworld
12-06-2011, 07:14 PM

Dude, if any country is 2nd world or 3rd world for that matter, it would be Australia, not France...

sureshs
12-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Why not an Asian tour? If the prize money is more than the ATP tour, you would get the top players. It would be a good competition to the current tour too.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah, we could have a 4th surface. Ice!!! imagine the injuries

Nadal would get injured just thinking of playing on ice.

ViscaB
12-06-2011, 07:32 PM
I live in Asia and tennis is not a big sport here (unless it's played on a table). Let's just stick to our traditional 4.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Huh, where do you get the idea that France is second world? It is one of the richest countries in the EU, it has more tourists every year than any other country in the world. It is famous for its art, culture, intellectuals, architecture......Weird that you would say this.

France is one of the lowest ranked western european nations in terms of human development. Even Korea and Hong Kong are ahead of it.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Dude, if any country is 2nd world or 3rd world for that matter, it would be Australia, not France...

You guys clearly know nothing about human development indices. Australia is #2 in the world. France is #20.

slice bh compliment
12-06-2011, 07:34 PM
I think if Asia Muhammad works hard, she will qualify for the main draw at the Slams. Getting to the 2nd week and winning a title would be amazing. I wish her well.

ninman
12-06-2011, 08:25 PM
I do realize, however until they can get their act together tough luck. Look, I sympathize with the low wages in China however it seems to me that they’d rather have an empty stadium than lower prices to the point where fans can afford it. And the fact that they don’t show much tennis on TV is a testament to how uninterested the population is with tennis. I don’t see why they wouldn’t show it if there was a demand.

You're assuming that these decisions are left solely in the hands of the stadiums and tv channels. The Chinese government doesn't want to promote tennis for whatever reason, and ultimately they are the ones in charge of everything. The Chinese government puts more emphasis on sports that China is successful at, like table tennis and badminton.

Trust me if they had a really good male tennis player who was winning every grand slam, tennis would be on TV all the time in China, and the stadiums would be full.

15_ounce
12-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Africa, Asia, South America, The Arctic, The Antarctic, should each have one slam, otherwise tennis is racist. :mrgreen:

ViscaB
12-06-2011, 08:44 PM
France is one of the lowest ranked western european nations in terms of human development. Even Korea and Hong Kong are ahead of it.

Even:):):). You are such an old world person still living in an eggshell. The world has moved on.

As if 20 is bad as well. It's on a level comparable to the great countries in the world. It's above wealthy countries like Finland, Singapore Luxembourg or the UK.

purge
12-06-2011, 09:01 PM
last i checked there was lots of debate if asia deserved a masters 1000.
so right now? no way..

sometime in the future? i dont know.. hard to say. my crystal ball remains cloudy

tusharlovesrafa
12-06-2011, 09:05 PM
I live in Asia and tennis is not a big sport here (unless it's played on a table). Let's just stick to our traditional 4.

You are only speaking of china and hong kong..Table tennis isn't popular here much in india.It kinda bores the hell out of me..

MrFlip
12-06-2011, 09:07 PM
There can't be any more than 4 slams because it has to be achievable to win them all. 5 is too physically demanding. Asia has to be happy with Australia being its representative for the future. At the moment it doesn't hold enough value placing a slam in the region. Australia is a much more accessible venue.

jokinla
12-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Their lack of support at Shanghai is ridiculous, they don't deserve one.

tusharlovesrafa
12-06-2011, 09:23 PM
I think asia derserves 2 slams....

ViscaB
12-06-2011, 09:31 PM
There can't be any more than 4 slams because it has to be achievable to win them all. 5 is too physically demanding. Asia has to be happy with Australia being its representative for the future. At the moment it doesn't hold enough value placing a slam in the region. Australia is a much more accessible venue.

More accessible. In what sense... Asia is not represented at all by Australia. We are as far away from Australia as from Europe here.

As I said before tennis needs to catch on before Asia can have a role. But Asia is obviously more accessible. All we need is a Yao Ming player and then things can one day kickoff. I would say a city like Singapore is the best place to start.

Sentinel
12-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I think asia derserves 2 slams....
True.

With *no* one to see them !

tusharlovesrafa
12-06-2011, 09:43 PM
True.

With *no* one to see them !

Enough sarcasm.Do you really think if there's a Slam in india with reduced ticket prices and lots of publicity,people won't want to see those slams?:)

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-06-2011, 09:56 PM
like the commonwealth games?

pfffft

Australia considers itself part of Asia anyway...

no change, thanks

TMF
12-06-2011, 10:00 PM
No they don't deserve the slam. The most they deserve is an ATP 500.

Terre Battu
12-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Stick to the big four. No Slam for a communist country. I can just see players dropping dead playing with China's horrible air quality. Tennis isn't big enough - yet in Asia.
Just say NO!!!

tusharlovesrafa
12-06-2011, 10:03 PM
like the commonwealth games?

pfffft

Australia considers itself part of Asia anyway...

no change, thanks

I don't think comparing a slam with commonweath games are wise.I makes a big difference when top players plays... likes of fed,rafa and novak can pull any crowd.:)

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-06-2011, 10:57 PM
so is your argument that there were no world class athletes at the commonwealth games?

Hmmmm..

MrFlip
12-06-2011, 11:04 PM
More accessible. In what sense... Asia is not represented at all by Australia. We are as far away from Australia as from Europe here.

As I said before tennis needs to catch on before Asia can have a role. But Asia is obviously more accessible. All we need is a Yao Ming player and then things can one day kickoff. I would say a city like Singapore is the best place to start.

As in language, climate etc.

tusharlovesrafa
12-06-2011, 11:36 PM
so is your argument that there were no world class athletes at the commonwealth games?

Hmmmm..

In my only talking about tennis and not other sporting events.I remember no top tennis player from commonwealth countries participated in commonwealth games.And somedev frm india was the highest seeded player in men's games.It was kind of a joke or what!!Most of the time stadium was fully empty..
Just imagine what if murray or hewitt had participated..then i certianly think a lot more people would have watched it on t.v as well as on stadium.

ViscaB
12-06-2011, 11:42 PM
As in language, climate etc.

A small Part of Australia has a tropical climate like South East Asia. But language:-??

Timbo's hopeless slice
12-07-2011, 01:14 AM
you have clearly never been to Chatswood... :)

passive_aggressive
12-07-2011, 02:28 AM
What is "Asia"?

passive_aggressive
12-07-2011, 02:31 AM

What about Antarctica then? Don't they deserve one?

The surface might be the fastest yet.

Anyway, I reckon all the slams should be held in USA.

Tennis_Monk
12-07-2011, 02:54 AM
Sorry but i dont see why there should only be 4 slams or why only those countries that currently host those slams have the monopoly.

I agree that given current economics and etc it may be ok for statusquo but i dont see why other countries shouldnt be allowed that oppurtunity.

If it cant be done for Business reasons, i am in agreement. But to give some history and tradition---crap that i have no time for. Things change over period of time and hosting Slams cant be an exception.

LameTennisPlayer
12-07-2011, 03:39 AM

The AO is called the grand slam of asia/pacific, Australia as a country isn't representing asia but the open is.

Bartelby
12-07-2011, 03:43 AM
Asia is a figment of the Western imagination.

LameTennisPlayer
12-07-2011, 03:43 AM

or Boxhill Melbourne lol

ViscaB
12-07-2011, 04:00 AM
The AO is called the grand slam of asia/pacific, Australia as a country isn't representing asia but the open is.

Fair enough. It's still a bit of a bloated title.

classic tennis
12-07-2011, 04:33 AM
Not under any circumstances.

slice bh compliment
12-07-2011, 04:38 AM
What is "Asia"?
Asia is the first name of an aspiring female tennis player from Nevada.
It is also the name of the largest continent on earth. It extends from northeast Russia to the Phillippine Islands, from Israel to the Ural Mountains, from Siberia to Sri Lanka.

I know what you mean, though. Sometimes Asia is just China, Korea, Japan and Vietnam. I think this is part of the ambiguity of this thread.

Nbhasin7
12-07-2011, 04:53 AM

French debt levels come in at about 83 percent of the gross domestic product of the country....No way can this country be considered 1st world

Mainad
12-07-2011, 05:23 AM
French debt levels come in at about 83 percent of the gross domestic product of the country....No way can this country be considered 1st world

France has the 4th largest economy in the world. It has modern infrastructure and most of its people have a comfortable standard of living. In what way is it not a 1st world country?? :roll:

DjokovicForTheWin
12-07-2011, 05:26 AM
Even:):):). You are such an old world person still living in an eggshell. The world has moved on.

As if 20 is bad as well. It's on a level comparable to the great countries in the world. It's above wealthy countries like Finland, Singapore Luxembourg or the UK.

I didn't say 20 was bad. I said it's one of the lowest of the western european countries. Can't really get rid of Wimby.

GasquetGOAT
12-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Asia is a figment of the Western imagination.

Best post in this thread!

And what is "tennis"?

accidental
12-07-2011, 05:48 AM
no. imo if any nation deserves a slam it should be based on a strong tennis tradition in the country over a number of decades, not just the last 10-15 years.

for example i would rather see spain, germany, argentina or sweden given a slam

accidental
12-07-2011, 05:49 AM
Enough sarcasm.Do you really think if there's a Slam in india with reduced ticket prices and lots of publicity,people won't want to see those slams?:)

the tennis event at the commonwealth games in new delhi last year had virtually no spectators, even though they were practically giving away tickets

sureshs
12-07-2011, 05:50 AM
You are only speaking of china and hong kong..Table tennis isn't popular here much in india.It kinda bores the hell out of me..

It is very popular

tusharlovesrafa
12-07-2011, 06:02 AM
It is very popular
Do you watch indian news or indian newpapers??You don't.... but I do..Only sports for which people are still crazy here is Cricket and rest is just side-kick.:)..it's kinda sad..

Sentinel
12-07-2011, 06:12 AM
the tennis event at the commonwealth games in new delhi last year had virtually no spectators, even though they were practically giving away tickets
Yep, they get schoolchildren from nearby schools to fill up the stands during challengers.

At Chennai Open, they once gave student lunch packets as an incentive to come -- that's what i think seeing the lunch packets. Madras has a better tennis tradition than Delhi, thanks to the south-Indian players.

I don't see India deserving a slam. No interest, very expensive game. Can't say about Japan and China.

accidental, i think what happens at Asian Games, Commonwealth Games etc is that our indian poilticians and big whigs corner tickets or have their quotas , its hard for a sports-lover to get a ticket, then the stadia are empty. You can probably buy some high up, distant seats that are a mile high.

tusharlovesrafa
12-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Yep, they get schoolchildren from nearby schools to fill up the stands during challengers.

At Chennai Open, they once gave student lunch packets as an incentive to come -- that's what i think seeing the lunch packets. Madras has a better tennis tradition than Delhi, thanks to the south-Indian players.

I don't see India deserving a slam. No interest, very expensive game. Can't say about Japan and China.

accidental, i think what happens at Asian Games, Commonwealth Games etc is that our indian poilticians and big whigs corner tickets or have their quotas , its hard for a sports-lover to get a ticket, then the stadia are empty. You can probably buy some high up, distant seats that are a mile high.

Tushar concurs...Kick our corrupt politicians out!!..They are like leeches sucking our country..I am planning to buy BK-47 n shoot them...what's your say??:)

LameTennisPlayer
12-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Tushar concurs...Kick our corrupt politicians out!!..They are like leeches sucking our country..I am planning to buy BK-47 n shoot them...what's your say??:)

well dont just stop at yr politicians, u might as well finish them all off!!

Bartelby
12-07-2011, 06:30 AM
There are CIA satellites monitoring contentious and dangerous words, up there, watching and listening.

Andreas1965
12-07-2011, 08:38 AM
No way. In a world denying tradition and class some things should remain as they are. There's 4 Slams. And that is enough.

Furthermore I don't want to see a slam in China. We are already bowing too often, only because of economic interest, to a country that doesn't respect human rights. The Olympics were a big mistake.

sureshs
12-07-2011, 02:08 PM
No way. In a world denying tradition and class some things should remain as they are. There's 4 Slams. And that is enough.

Furthermore I don't want to see a slam in China. We are already bowing too often, only because of economic interest, to a country that doesn't respect human rights. The Olympics were a big mistake.

Olympics were also held in Germany during Hitler's time

El Diablo
12-07-2011, 02:10 PM
A slam war would be interesting.....the Chinese build a world-class facility and then declare a two week tournament the same time as AO but with three times the total prize money.

tennis_pro
12-07-2011, 02:13 PM
No but I'd move the 2nd major from France to, say, Germany or Italy. The French are complete idiots who don't appreciate what they got.

+ they're too cocky, can't speak English and are a bunch of cowards

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cJlpHAZm1_o/SqhE0O814gI/AAAAAAAACG4/LK0qFKRuVQ8/s400/french.jpg

gregor.b
12-07-2011, 02:14 PM

Dude,seriously,you shouldn't be saying that.

rofl_copter3
12-07-2011, 02:15 PM
South America is much more deserving than Asia they don't even have a masters event... Do they even get an atp 500???

kiki
12-07-2011, 03:40 PM
The AO is the grand slam of Asia/Pacific so ill say no.

True.Assia-Pacific has one Slam and one TMS.

At most, I´d give them the YEC.

so, the 6 big titles would look:

2 Assia/Pacific (AO and YEC), 2 US (Miami/ATP Championships, and USO) and 2 Europe (W and RG).This is the best combination, right now

Tennis_Monk
12-07-2011, 07:56 PM

2 Assia/Pacific (AO and YEC), 2 US (Miami/ATP Championships, and USO) and 2 Europe (W and RG).This is the best combination, right now

repeat this as many times as needed until you get it.

AO is not representing ASIA. Australia is not ASIA.

Andreas1965
12-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Olympics were also held in Germany during Hitler's time

Which was wrong, too.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.452554,7.004566

Bartelby
12-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Western elites were quite fond of Herr Hitler in the early to mid thirties.

Bartelby
12-07-2011, 09:55 PM
That's what the ATP is there to prevent, so they'd have to find a way around that.

A slam war would be interesting.....the Chinese build a world-class facility and then declare a two week tournament the same time as AO but with three times the total prize money.

Sentinel
12-07-2011, 10:13 PM
No but I'd move the 2nd major from France to, say, Germany or Italy. The French are complete idiots who don't appreciate what they got.

And the Americans can ? :)

Sentinel
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM

Actually we Asians have more slams.
As Eurasia, we have the FO and WO, too.
There's Australasia too, so we get the AO one way or another !
There's no way we can claim the USO, though, unless it moves to Africa (I recall reading of Eurafrasia or something in school.)

GasquetGOAT
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cJlpHAZm1_o/SqhE0O814gI/AAAAAAAACG4/LK0qFKRuVQ8/s400/french.jpg

You didn't know that French is superior to English?

Andreas1965
12-07-2011, 10:39 PM

The fact that those people kissed Hitler's a.s.s back then doesn't justify doing the same with China today.
Chinese government is totalitarian, disrespectful to human rights and I will never accept that we suck up to them instead of banning them.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.453059,7.007774

ViscaB
12-07-2011, 10:56 PM
The fact that those people kissed Hitler's a.s.s back then doesn't justify doing the same with China today.
Chinese government is totalitarian, disrespectful to human rights and I will never accept that we suck up to them instead of banning them.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.453059,7.007774

In my opinion China has become a better slightly more open country after they held the Olympics. Isolation is not the way to go. Look at North Korea.

China is not perfect and the people need more freedom but many experts also think that without central planning the country (and its people) would be worse off.

tusharlovesrafa
12-07-2011, 11:54 PM
There are CIA satellites monitoring contentious and dangerous words, up there, watching and listening.

LOL..;-)...Are u it's agent or what??

kiki
12-08-2011, 12:07 AM
repeat this as many times as needed until you get it.

AO is not representing ASIA. Australia is not ASIA.

Not need to.Australia is a western country, but geographically could be included in the Pacific Region.Just like Spain and Tayikhistan can be " Euroassiatics" but, sure, there are many differences between them, isn´t it?

I know Australian people are very nationalistic when this issue comes up.I understand it.Congratulations if you are an aussie.I know pretty well your country and I love it, as proven, among other things, by my posts about aussie tennis tradition.The best ever.

kiki
12-08-2011, 12:09 AM

Very Very true.Even financed him.They saw him as the only man able to stop Stalin.

kiki
12-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Actually we Asians have more slams.
As Eurasia, we have the FO and WO, too.
There's Australasia too, so we get the AO one way or another !
There's no way we can claim the USO, though, unless it moves to Africa (I recall reading of Eurafrasia or something in school.)

Good post.There is only 4 real continents in the world:Eurassia , America,Africa and Oceania.Eurassia is divided between Europe and Asia, with the Middle East as a transicitiom, just as North America and South America have Central america & caribean as a transiction zone.

Do you know that Australia separated from the continental mass of Africa? So, it may turn out there is: Eurassia,America and Afro-oceania.

Sentinel
12-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Asia is the first name of an aspiring female tennis player from Nevada.
It is also the name of the largest continent on earth. It extends from northeast Russia to the Phillippine Islands, from Israel to the Ural Mountains, from Siberia to Sri Lanka.

I know what you mean, though. Sometimes Asia is just China, Korea, Japan and Vietnam. I think this is part of the ambiguity of this thread.
I think you forgot Burma, and maybe East Pakistan, and oh yes Bhutan. That completes Asia!

slice bh compliment
12-08-2011, 12:14 AM

Who is this Hitler kid? Did he play the Eddie Herr? Nationally ranked in the mid-30s or is that in the ITF? What's his TRN rating?

kiki
12-08-2011, 12:22 AM

jajajaj.it would add a new surface: ice¡¡.

And why not an African GS played on the Sahara´s sand?? after all, they already have the Paris-Dakkar race¡¡¡

kiki
12-08-2011, 12:25 AM

yeah¡ I wonder how wonderful France would be...without French¡¡

Bartelby
12-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Herr Hitler only won the French Open. England and the US proved beyond his capabilities.

slice bh compliment
12-08-2011, 12:26 AM
I think you forgot Burma, and maybe East Pakistan, and oh yes Bhutan. That completes Asia!

Nice....and so cool of you not to sell out and call them Myanmar and Bangladesh. Keepin' it real.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/as.htm

Oh, and what about the guy from Emerson Lake and Palmer, the dudes from Yes and the one from King Crimson? I don't think they deserve a Slam, even though they did have a hit during the early part of the Boris Becker administration.

kiki
12-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Africa, Asia, South America, The Arctic, The Antarctic, should each have one slam, otherwise tennis is racist. :mrgreen:

And the moon, too.It is a colonny poorly treated.

slice bh compliment
12-08-2011, 12:32 AM
^Sheer lunacy.^

Don't even get me started on the lack of wildcards for the great young players from nearby planets like Lovetron.

tusharlovesrafa
12-08-2011, 12:49 AM

Huji is in persuit of you for defaming Bangladesh's name.:twisted:

tusharlovesrafa
12-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Dude,seriously,you shouldn't be saying that.

I can pay 50 bugs and get out off anything..:)..Money talks..:twisted:

slice bh compliment
12-08-2011, 01:10 AM
...50 bugs .....

You are onto something.

http://www.nodeju.com/13027/50-bugs-a-day-keeps-cancer-at-bay.html

Sentinel
12-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Nice....and so cool of you not to sell out and call them Myanmar and Bangladesh. Keepin' it real.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/as.htm

Oh, and what about the guy from Emerson Lake and Palmer, the dudes from Yes and the one from King Crimson? I don't think they deserve a Slam, even though they did have a hit during the early part of the Boris Becker administration.
Wow! Memories from the old days. Haven't heard ELP mentioned since 1970-something.
I was just remembering The Concert for East Pakistan :D or as you young whipper-snappers call it, Bangladesh.

What I am wondering is, how are you up and posting at this time! Almost seems you are in Asia, haha.

Sentinel
12-08-2011, 01:33 AM
You are onto something.

http://www.nodeju.com/13027/50-bugs-a-day-keeps-cancer-at-bay.html
Was never much of a Beatles fan, to be honest !

Mainad
12-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Or at least until Beringia reappears!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Beringia_land_bridge-noaagov.gif

gavna
12-09-2011, 03:14 PM
No no and no.......why does anyone think Asia "deserve" anything. Such a silly question, Asia already has a slam every January in a great location.

Tennis_Monk
12-09-2011, 07:06 PM
No no and no.......why does anyone think Asia "deserve" anything. Such a silly question, Asia already has a slam every January in a great location.

Chennai Open isnt a SLAM ?

Sentinel
12-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Not until sureshs declares it.:)

Subventricular Zone
12-09-2011, 09:05 PM
The AO is the Grand Slam of the ASIA-Pacific, isn't it?

jaredk
12-10-2011, 01:06 AM
just wondering OP, did u learn of any asian country expressing a serious interest in holding a slam in the near future or is this thread to make jokes and bash asia just based on that very few posters making noise for a 5th slam.

tusharlovesrafa
12-10-2011, 03:36 AM

Not until sureshs declares it.:)

I am going to fast untill death unless asia gets atleast one slam.:)

Joe Pike
12-10-2011, 03:49 AM
Some seem to think that Asia is the next frontier for tennis, and there certainly seems to be some truth to that. Some even feel that Asia should be given its own Grand Slam event in order to help spur on the growth of tennis in the region. Where do you stand on the issue? Do you ever feel there will be a Grand Slam event held in Asia?

Will not happen.
Never.

tusharlovesrafa
12-10-2011, 04:33 AM
Or at least until Beringia reappears!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Beringia_land_bridge-noaagov.gif

Are u refering to pangea??An unamalgamated people of land ...:)

slice bh compliment
12-10-2011, 06:04 AM
Nah, that's Beringia...the land before the Bering Strait between Russia and Alaska....which connected Asia with The Americas. They called it the land bridge.

Sentinel
12-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Yes, let's start all over again.

Repeat after me: "Australia is NOT part of Asia".

kiki
12-11-2011, 12:30 AM

No, it is not.But it was part of Africa so, Africa has one slam, not Assia

Paul Murphy
12-11-2011, 05:40 AM
No on the basis of tradition, a thriving AO and the clear lack of enthusiasm in China for tennis.

boredone3456
12-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Based on history of relevance as a continent to the sport of tennis I'd say no. Sure, they are sort of a meca at the moment thanks in large part to Li Na, and to a lesser extent maybe Shaui & Zheng, thats about it. In recent years there really haven't been any amazing tennis players on the Men's side to emerge from Asia (outside of doubles) to really merit them deserving one. Sure they are a market, but its not just about Market value. England, the USA, France and Australia have a history of talented players as well behind their hosting majors. If a 5th one was ever going to be instilled anywhere...which it really shouldn't, I argue South America as the continent of choice over Asia...and even then the argument isn't that great apart from Bueno, Sabatini and Maybe Del Potro in terms of amazing players....

tacou
12-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I'd have to ask what they've done to deserve it? They have little history in way of players and outside Nishikori not a ton of prospects.

Their 2 biggest tournaments, WTF and Shanghai Masters, were very poorly attended.

If that deserves a slam then USA, France, UK and Australia should all get a second slam as well..

Bartelby
12-11-2011, 09:48 AM
From a political point of view, Australia likes to define itself as a part of Asia or the Asia-Pacific.

beast of mallorca
12-11-2011, 10:43 AM
"Does Asia Deserve a Slam?"

NO. But for my own welfare, America should have 2 Majors.
One for East Coast and another for West Coast :-)

LameTennisPlayer
12-11-2011, 10:44 AM

Read carefully. It clearly states the Australian open is the grand slam of the asia pacific. Which it is.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2011-10-04/201110041317693424099.html

Top left corner on the AO website

Mainad
12-11-2011, 10:47 AM
"Does Asia Deserve a Slam?"

NO. But for my own welfare, America should have 2 Majors.
One for East Coast and another for West Coast :-)

But everybody knows it already has 2 Majors: USO and Cincy! :wink:

aphex
12-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I think they do.

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Asia-band-01.jpg

slice bh compliment
12-11-2011, 11:34 AM
I think they do....
People. Please do not take this man's post seriously. He clearly wrote that in
The Heat of the Moment!

sureshs
12-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Australia is definitely a part of Asia economically. In SE Asia, travel and trade with Australia is regular and easy, and many, many people of Asian origin live in Australia, and a lot of Aussie ex-pats in SE Asia.

TheMusicLover
12-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I think they do.

Hahahaha! :)

As for the topic... why is there still no proper 'big' tournament in South America? They deserve is a lot more than Asia imho.

AM95
12-11-2011, 12:03 PM
no.

a) slams are slams and should be where they have always been.

b) asia has the shanghai masters, among other events. this year, nobody showed up to the tournament because fed, rafa, and djokovic didn't play. that tell you all you need to know about their respect for the game.

Mainad
12-11-2011, 01:08 PM
no.
b) asia has the shanghai masters, among other events. this year, nobody showed up to the tournament because fed, rafa, and djokovic didn't play. that tell you all you need to know about their respect for the game.

Rafa played Shanghai. He got knocked out in the 3rd round by Mayer.

beast of mallorca
12-11-2011, 01:58 PM
I think they do.

Who are these old hats ? Is this your recent picture Aphy?

Sentinel
12-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Australia is definitely a part of Asia economically. In SE Asia, travel and trade with Australia is regular and easy, and many, many people of Asian origin live in Australia, and a lot of Aussie ex-pats in SE Asia.
Excellent logic. I have often heard that there are lots of Asians in UK and USA too.
So USA and Wimbledon are part of Asia too.

Thanks for clarifying, dude. And how's the cold faring. Still making it difficult for you to think clearly, eh ?

j/k abt the last sentence.

Do some hot water inhalations, and some warm-salt water gargling. Put cayenne pepper in the gargling (or red chilli powder and vinegar) for really speeding up recovery. Seriously.

tusharlovesrafa
12-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Excellent logic. I have often heard that there are lots of Asians in UK and USA too.
So USA and Wimbledon are part of Asia too.

Thanks for clarifying, dude. And how's the cold faring. Still making it difficult for you to think clearly, eh ?

j/k abt the last sentence.

Do some hot water inhalations, and some warm-salt water gargling. Put cayenne pepper in the gargling (or red chilli powder and vinegar) for really speeding up recovery. Seriously.

hahahahahahaha
this is the 1st time i m hearing sum one saying one shud gargle with red chilli powder or vinegar.As far i know one shud take around 200 to 250 ml of water and put 2 spoons of common salt..and gargel every in every 3 hrs interval when cold or cough is very severe(as told by my doctor cousin)

Bartelby
12-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Asia has a Masters and South America has not; and this is in in the hands of the ATP and something easier to change.

Moreover, Asia had the ATP 2,000 point equivalent of a slam, the YEC.

Slams won't change unless the ITF tries to franchise them and the ATP agrees.

jamesblakefan#1
01-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Just a refresher for equinox...the people clearly don't feel that China/Asia deserves a slam.

TERRASTAR18
01-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Based on history of relevance as a continent to the sport of tennis I'd say no. Sure, they are sort of a meca at the moment thanks in large part to Li Na, and to a lesser extent maybe Shaui & Zheng, thats about it. In recent years there really haven't been any amazing tennis players on the Men's side to emerge from Asia (outside of doubles) to really merit them deserving one. Sure they are a market, but its not just about Market value. England, the USA, France and Australia have a history of talented players as well behind their hosting majors. If a 5th one was ever going to be instilled anywhere...which it really shouldn't, I argue South America as the continent of choice over Asia...and even then the argument isn't that great apart from Bueno, Sabatini and Maybe Del Potro in terms of amazing players....

when was the last time a british player won a slam? and china has won one more recently than all these countries besides stosur's fluke.

TERRASTAR18
01-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Who are these old hats ? Is this your recent picture Aphy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia_%28band%29

boredone3456
01-26-2012, 11:33 AM
when was the last time a british player won a slam? and china has won one more recently than all these countries besides stosur's fluke.

Britain as a nation has many more slam winners in its History then China does. And you want to Call Stosurs a fluke, based on her post slam performance I could very easily say the one Li won is also a fluke, shes done just as bad as Stosur has since winning her slam.

Yes lately Britain hasn't won singles majors, but historically back to establishment of tennis as a sport Britain has a long history of producing top level players. China has nothing close to that history. Wimbledon is tradition, what does China have to match that...nothing. Sorry.

bluetrain4
01-26-2012, 12:14 PM
I don't think it's really about "deserving" a Slam, which is debatable anyway.

Even if they have the interest and the money to hold Slam, the fact is that existing 4 Slams are very healthy events. I can see if one of the Slams was like the old, struggling Australian Open, and the ITF thought it made sense to move that Slam to the vast Asian market. But, all the Slams do quite well, so that's not reason to move one.

And, I really don't think the ITF is going to have 5 slams, rather than 4. IN both golf and tennis there is always talk of big events becoming the 5th major (The Player's championship in golf, Miami in temis, back when it was the Lipton Championsips and the men played best of 5 every round), but it never happens. Just be satisfied being a big, healthy event. Not every big event has to be a Slam.

Zverev
01-26-2012, 04:20 PM
The Australian Open will probably move to China one day.
Tennis is getting less and less popular in the country.
I am looking at the crowd and it's getting older every year.
Young guys behave like football fans, watch only when Aussie plays, getting quite drunk and mostly trying to put the other player down. Bad manners, quite embarrassing.

jamesblakefan#1
05-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Jon, I was wondering if you might talk a bit on how a tournament officially becomes a "Grand Slam". Who designates them as such? What is the criteria? Do tournaments ever "apply" to be considered the fifth Slam? Do you think there will ever be a fifth Slam and if so, what effects will that have on the world of tennis?
-- Shayne, Louisville, KY

• The Slams are governed by the International Tennis Federation. The Big Four received their vaunted status generations ago, of course. Now, it is very much a closed shop. Even if a promoter or federation were willing to pay the purse and even if a suitable venue existed, there's roughly a 0.00 percent chance there would be a fifth major. For all sorts of reasons -- the break from the tradition, the diluting of the existing products, the havoc it would unleash on the schedule -- it never would be formally recognized as a fifth Slam.

Informally, events have used the "fifth Slam" designation, mostly as a marketing tool. "Hey, we may not be an official major, but we're the closest thing. Men and women. All the top stars in attendance. Seven rounds. Two weeks (almost) of play." The Sony Open (aka the Sony Ericsson Open) in Miami and the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells are most aggressive in claiming this distinction.

For as often as tennis administrators wring their hands over the schedule, I think four Slams is the perfect number. You have your tent poles -- erratically spaced, as they are -- and the rest of the events fill the gaps. The majors are special and there are enough distinguishing features (the purses, the best-of-five format for the men, the mixed doubles, the improved television platform) to make clear they are special. Five majors and you're diluting the product too much. Three majors and you're shortchanging the fans and the players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20120502/werthem-mailbag/#ixzz1tjv4iQf5

syke
05-02-2012, 11:41 AM

Or Boxhill in the beautiful garden state...

syke
05-02-2012, 11:44 AM

Australia wants to be part of Asia... Look at the socceroos.

syke
05-02-2012, 11:52 AM

Go eat your chapati and quietly watch your cricket... :)

r2473
05-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Does Asia Deserve a Slam?

I think you are just saying this "In the heat of the moment":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-up8ebz06yA

http://www.worleygig.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Asia-Band-1982.jpg

Evan77
05-02-2012, 12:06 PM
guys, why would China deserve to get a major? so many people there, yet no tennis tradition at all ... no crowd ... empty courts ... really, nothing against China but to me this is simply silly. It took over 100 years to develop 4 majors we have ... why would you move the AO from Australia to China (I find the AO crowd to be the most passionate crowd in the world, love it) ...

I realize, we have some passionate people from Asia on this board , and that's great but let's be realistic here ...

beast of mallorca
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
No. A GS is dictated by tradition and history, and Asia did not have that.

Sentinel
05-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Go eat your chapati and quietly watch your cricket... :)
ROTFL !

Agree, 4 slams and the WTF are good enough.

Tenez101
05-02-2012, 07:48 PM
They can have French Open...provided they replace the clay with hardcourts.

Sentinel
05-02-2012, 07:57 PM
They can have French Open...provided they replace the clay with hardcourts.
If FO comes to India, we'd replace it with grass.

And we do have history ... the Amritraj brothers and sons, the Krishnans, and today's generation such as sureshs, tushylovesrafa and sunny deol.

Tenez101
05-02-2012, 08:17 PM
If FO comes to India, we'd replace it with grass.

And we do have history ... the Amritraj brothers and sons, the Krishnans, and today's generation such as sureshs, tushylovesrafa and sunny deol.

Grass if fine, as long as it is fast and low-bouncing (favoring an aggressive seximasterclass style), time-rules are fiercely enforced, bananas provided to players are extra hard to swallow, there are beehives 10 feet behind the baseline to prevent grinding, moonballing more than twice in a rally results in a point replay...err that's about it.

BTW, I know somebody who is a (not sure if first or second) cousin I think twice removed of Ramanathan Krishnan. Kind of neat.

Edit: Oh, and touching one's own posterior or that of Juan Monaco in a provocative or suggestive manner results in an immediate disqualification and security escort from the court. We have to maintain SOME standard of decency, geez, children are watching...

egn
05-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Does Spain have a major? Does Sweden have a major? Does Belgium have a major? Does Switzerland have a major? Does Germany have a major? Does Russia have a major? These are alone countries that have done far more tennis, produced far better players and been staples in the sport for ages. None of them ever were given a major. Why should Asia, who with all due respect has produced a single major winner be given a major? When Sweden and Germany were dominating tennis, nobody said anything about them getting a major. It's a historical thing.

joechiang
05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Maybe there will be a Slam in Asia/China one day in the future,if some developed countries can't afford their large debt,they may sell whatever they have.:)

Sentinel
05-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Grass if fine, as long as it is fast and low-bouncing (favoring an aggressive seximasterclass style), time-rules are fiercely enforced, bananas provided to players are extra hard to swallow, there are beehives 10 feet behind the baseline to prevent grinding, moonballing more than twice in a rally results in a point replay...err that's about it.

BTW, I know somebody who is a (not sure if first or second) cousin I think twice removed of Ramanathan Krishnan. Kind of neat.

Edit: Oh, and touching one's own posterior or that of Juan Monaco in a provocative or suggestive manner results in an immediate disqualification and security escort from the court. We have to maintain SOME standard of decency, geez, children are watching...
You'll get all of the above and more. You'll also have to play with wooden rackets, except that there will be no strings, the rackets will be long and heavy like this (http://acimg.auctivacommerce.com/imgdata/0/0/3/1/9/1/webimg/840582.jpg). And the ball will be hard with seams.

Tenez101
05-02-2012, 08:59 PM
You'll get all of the above and more. You'll also have to play with wooden rackets, except that there will be no strings, the rackets will be long and heavy like this (http://acimg.auctivacommerce.com/imgdata/0/0/3/1/9/1/webimg/840582.jpg). And the ball will be hard with seams.

Me and Rogi think this will work out just fine.

http://im.rediff.com/sports/2006/dec/23fed1.jpg

jokinla
05-02-2012, 10:57 PM
No way, they don't show up for the Masters event, forget it.

BevelDevil
05-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Would the Chinese government even want to host an event where no Chinese player would have a chance of doing well in?