PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Olympics will affect how players manage their year....

bullfan
12-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Fed is looking to get the Gold, he wants it badly.....

Djokovic cried when he lost to Nadal in 2008, and started his great 2011 with a nationalistic DC win in 2010. I think Djokovic wants this badly, but that doesn't mean he hasn't changed his focus after winning 3 GS in 2011.

Nadal has just mentioned that he won't play DC 2012 in order to prep for the Olympics. Either he means it or he doesn't, and is just trying to get some rest. Odds are he'd be thrilled to win it again, and on grass he has a much better chance than hard courts.

Murray..... wow, for him, it would be OUT of this world to be a winner at the Olympics at Wimbledon, but I see him as having the least chance of the top 4.

Of course, there are all kinds of players that would also love to win, but have to overcome most likely the top 4.

I think how players manage their year in order to prepare will affect the choices of tournaments and focus on possibly tiring themselves out before the Olympics.

I can't see any player winning FO, W, and then W Olympics..... that's such a grind during a short period of time.

JayChu
12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm more interested in how the players manage their schedules after the Olympics since Canada and Cincy are right after the games have been completed.

OddJack
12-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Fed just committed to Davis against US btw

bullfan
12-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Fed just committed to Davis against US btw

Players are required to play a certain number of DC as part of qualifying for the Olympics..... If they met the requirements, they don't have to play.... Which could be why Djokovic played against DelPo.

OddJack
12-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Players are required to play a certain number of DC as part of qualifying for the Olympics..... If they met the requirements, they don't have to play.... Which could be why Djokovic played against DelPo.

As far as I know Rodge has played more Davis matches than Nadal and Nadal is not playing next year...so there was no requirement for Rodge.

bullfan
12-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm more interested in how the players manage their schedules after the Olympics since Canada and Cincy are right after the games have been completed.

I would suspect that all tournaments post Olympics except USO are lesser at this point for the players. I'm baffled as to how you are thinking that Master's 1000 matter more than a once a 4 years Olympics. Fed and Nadal have both already announced how important the Olympics are, why would you think 2 Master's 1000 rate in comparison?

bullfan
12-07-2011, 07:37 PM
As far as I know Rodge has played more Davis matches than Nadal and Nadal is not playing next year...so there was no requirement for Rodge.

You mean given the fact that Nadal has played in 3 Spain DC wins vs 0 for Switzerland in the last decade. One has to play more given how far a team gets. Sure, Rafa has skipped out on some, but his team gets further.

OddJack
12-07-2011, 07:42 PM
You mean given the fact that Nadal has played in 3 Spain DC wins vs 0 for Switzerland in the last decade. One has to play more given how far a team gets. Sure, Rafa has skipped out on some, but his team gets further.

You are mixing things up here. Winning is not a requirement. Federer's team may not have won a D cup but he has participated.

Sentinel
12-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Roger will be celebrating his Olympic singles Gold medal and will forfeit these 2. He'll cap off the year by winning the USO.

bullfan
12-07-2011, 07:52 PM
You are mixing things up here. Winning is not a requirement. Federer's team may not have won a D cup but he has participated.

Are you saying that he's participated more than Nadal, who doesn't play all matches, but who's team makes it further?

bullfan
12-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Roger will be celebrating his Olympic singles Gold medal and will forfeit these 2. He'll cap off the year by winning the USO.

I think discussing the post matches is lame. Folks need to prepare, and post Olympics aren't relevant...

The post was about preparing for the Olympics, not about what happens afterwards... Why would someone respond about post Olympics when the post was about pre-Olympics?

CocaCola
12-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Mentally, Murray does not have what it takes to win these kind of events. It's between the top 3 and they all want it badly. Whoever wins Wimbledon will not win the Olympics IMO. Schedule may suffer only after the Olympics and the fact that it's played on grass will be very helpful physically.

Emet74
12-08-2011, 04:00 PM

It doesn't matter who played more between Fed and Nadal.

Both have already played enough to be eligible for the olympics, so Fed' s decision to play in the tie against the US was not made for olympic eligiblity.

nadalwon2012
12-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Fed is looking to get the Gold, he wants it badly.....

Bad sign for Federer. He rarely gets things that he talks about continuously....he seems to psych himself out easily. It's the same with most people in the world. The more people obsess over something the lower their chances will be. Except for Michael Jordan.