PDA

View Full Version : If a young Andre Agassi entered the game today, what would he do against the big 4?

Mike Sams
12-07-2011, 10:55 PM
An aged and rather deteriorated Agassi gave even prime Federer some real trouble. What would a prime Agassi do if he was to enter the current game as it is right now and came up against the likes of today's 30 year old Federer? And also how would he do against the likes of Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal in the Slams? :)

Wilander Fan
12-08-2011, 04:30 AM
An aged and rather deteriorated Agassi gave even prime Federer some real trouble. What would a prime Agassi do if he was to enter the current game as it is right now and came up against the likes of today's 30 year old Federer? And also how would he do against the likes of Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal in the Slams? :)

Agassi himself implies in his book old Agassi would beat young Agassi because old Agassi was so much fitter and stronger.

BeHappy
12-08-2011, 04:35 AM
Agassi himself implies in his book old Agassi would beat young Agassi because old Agassi was so much fitter and stronger.

He just says that to make himself feel better about wasting his career. In 1995 Agassi went 73-9. He never ever reached that level again. If he thinks the Agassi who needed cortisone injections to get through the match because his sciatica was so bad could ever beat the Agassi of 1995 he is crazy.

Kaz00
12-08-2011, 04:39 AM
29 year old Agassi would give the big 4 lots of trouble. Make poor Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal run till they collapsed.

Sentinel
12-08-2011, 04:42 AM
Agassi would be no match for Ralph's MTO's.

MG1
12-08-2011, 04:44 AM

You mean same old Agassi who after winning first 3 matches against baby fed lost 8 in row!!

MG1
12-08-2011, 04:47 AM
He must be in 5-8 grouo and SOME win against current top4.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-08-2011, 05:04 AM
Agassi would give Nadal a lot of problems. Federer not so much since he was right handed. Yeah yeah I know USO 2005, christ it was only one match! Didn't #147 ranked Lorenzo give Nadal trouble at the FO??? Doesn't mean anything.

BeHappy
12-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Agassi would give Nadal a lot of problems. Federer not so much since he was right handed. Yeah yeah I know USO 2005, christ it was only one match! Didn't #147 ranked Lorenzo give Nadal trouble at the FO??? Doesn't mean anything.

took him to 5 in 2004

namelessone
12-08-2011, 05:13 AM

Isn't that proof of Nadal being at his peak?

And that was in Rome.

helloworld
12-08-2011, 05:14 AM
Agassi has always been a problem for Federer. It took Fed 6 years on tour to beat 33 year-old Agassi. Agassi was already too old by that time to handle prime Federer. If we're talking about prime Agassi, the outcome would be entirely different.

slice bh compliment
12-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Trouble is, you can't really say there was a young ANdre and an old one. There were at least three or four more periods of Andre, depending on his moods and his preparation for a given season.

BeHappy cited 1995. Yes, that was a big summer for him (except that USOpen final). That was middle-late-middle, pre-comeback, post haircut Andre. I mean, post-comeback, but also pre-comeback #3 I think.

DjokovicForTheWin
12-08-2011, 05:39 AM
took him to 5 in 2004

Oh 2 matches, much more significant sample size now. DIdn't Isner take Nadal to 5 at the FO?

tennis_pro
Trouble is, you can't really say there was a young ANdre and an old one. There were at least three or four more periods of Andre, depending on his moods and his preparation for a given season.

BeHappy cited 1995. Yes, that was a big summer for him (except that USOpen final). That was middle-late-middle, pre-comeback, post haircut Andre. I mean, post-comeback, but also pre-comeback #3 I think.

http://noizbeam.s3.amazonaws.com/air-raid/files/2011/04/mind-explosion.jpg

DjokovicForTheWin
Isn't that proof of Nadal being at his peak?

And that was in Rome.

Yes but the other player can play out of their mind and give a peak player troubles. Like Agassi did to Fed in 2005. Probably wouldn't happen consistently.

jaybear1909
12-08-2011, 05:53 AM
I think he'd be a huge problem for Nadal, with his taking the ball on the rise so good.

I would love to see him in today's game. And Graf too!

Hominator
12-08-2011, 06:12 AM
2011 Djokovic vs. 1995 Agassi would be a great match...

Power Player
12-08-2011, 06:34 AM
Agassi can take heavy topspin off the bounce better than anyone, so I think he would be rather great in this era.

rdis10093
12-08-2011, 06:41 AM
it would be so awesome to see prime andre vs novak

Tmano
12-08-2011, 06:44 AM
The old Agassi at the age of 28/29 would be where the top 4 players are now: however, a young Agassi grew up in this tennis era assuming he were 25/26 years old he would SHINE LIKE A STAR.....the only one capable to bit him would be Federer.

Boricua
12-08-2011, 06:50 AM

In theory, what about a young and fit Agassi?:)

sunof tennis
12-08-2011, 06:50 AM
I think he'd be a huge problem for Nadal, with his taking the ball on the rise so good.

I would love to see him in today's game. And Graf too!

Would be an interesting match up. Obviously Davy employing a similar strategy has given Nadal problems.
Against Fed, it would be an enjyable match up. I think it would be close. Overall, I think Fed would generally prevail, but if he is at all off on his backhand, Andre would definitely be there to exploit that.
Murray would be no match for Andre. Both are baseline players, but Andre does everything just a little bit better.
Djokovic is like Andre 2.0 (bigger, stronger, faster). I think Novak has the potential to take this, but could he sustain his current high level of play to have a good head to head with Andre over the course of time?

President
12-08-2011, 06:57 AM
An important thing to remember is that Agassi didn't move anywhere near as well as any of the top 4 today. Movement is a huge part of the game today, so Agassi would be at quite a disadvantage. That being said, I think he would still do very well, especially on hard court.

rdis10093
12-08-2011, 07:01 AM
he can hit so well on the rise though.

Hominator
12-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Wasn't young Agassi ('88 to early 90s) known for his speed and movement? I do think that Agassi didn't move nearly as well towards the end of his career, though.

Mustard
12-08-2011, 07:30 AM
He just says that to make himself feel better about wasting his career. In 1995 Agassi went 73-9. He never ever reached that level again. If he thinks the Agassi who needed cortisone injections to get through the match because his sciatica was so bad could ever beat the Agassi of 1995 he is crazy.

By young Agassi, he's referring to his "Image is Everything" era. That officially ended at the start of 1995, although the seeds were probably sown in the second half of 1994 with the Canadian Open, US Open and Paris Indoor triumphs, which showed a much more tactically aware Agassi. Young Agassi, i.e. when he was coached by Nick Bollettieri, didn't care too much for tactics and tended to just go for his shots when he felt like it. He was also considerably less fit in the "Image is Everything" era, although he went back to these old habits from late 1995 to late 1997, devastated with his 1995 US Open final loss to Sampras, which he dealt with very badly indeed.

The Agassi of mid-1994 to late-1995 and 1998-2006 was a dedicated tennis player, very professional off the court and very fit. And yes, dedicated to making up for his past mistakes.

woodrow1029
12-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Oh 2 matches, much more significant sample size now. DIdn't Isner take Nadal to 5 at the FO?

The Round Robin Match in Houston TMC was a great match too. The final, not so much though.

slice bh compliment
12-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Yes, 7-6 in the third.^

NadalAgassi
12-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Against Federer he would be a handful for Federer on hard courts, and definitely win some matches. Even peak Federer was almost losing to grandpa Agassi often on had courts. On clay or grass Federer would be favored.

Against Nadal he would probably have a winning record on hard courts, but Nadal would be competitive and win his share too. On clay Nadal would crush Agassi. On grass I am not sure.

Against Djokovic they would be evenly matched on most surfaces probably.

woodrow1029
12-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Yes, 7-6 in the third.^

Great atmosphere in that stadium that night. I was fortunate enough to be calling lines during that tournament.

DRII
12-08-2011, 08:50 AM
A prime Agassi would do very well in this current - largely defensive era. He would bring in a new level of offense off the ground with flatter more penetrating shots.

I can't wait to see when a new player actually accomplishes this. An inform Delpo comes pretty close...

DRII
12-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Would be an interesting match up. Obviously Davy employing a similar strategy has given Nadal problems.
Against Fed, it would be an enjyable match up. I think it would be close. Overall, I think Fed would generally prevail, but if he is at all off on his backhand, Andre would definitely be there to exploit that.
Murray would be no match for Andre. Both are baseline players, but Andre does everything just a little bit better.
Djokovic is like Andre 2.0 (bigger, stronger, faster). I think Novak has the potential to take this, but could he sustain his current high level of play to have a good head to head with Andre over the course of time?

No, not really.

Nole is bigger and faster, but he is not stronger - at least not off the ground. Nole is still, mostly a defensive player who is capable of explosive offense on ocassion but is not nearly as consistently offensive as prime Agassi.

helloworld
12-08-2011, 09:32 AM
People keep comparing Nole to Agassi. The truth is they play very differently. Agassi is an agressive baseliner, while Nole plays half offensive/defensive game. Novak doesn't blast people off the court like Andre does. He beat people with consistency and counterpunching speed. In fact, Novak is probably more like Hewitt 2.0.

Sid_Vicious
12-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Agassi would be a strong contender at both the AO and USO. He had the game to hang with Federer, Djokovic, and Nadal. 6 HC slams. enough said.

SirGounder
12-08-2011, 10:35 AM
He would be very competitive and probably have an even h2h against these guys. His game was pretty modern and his ball striking was so solid.

DRII
12-08-2011, 10:38 AM
People keep comparing Nole to Agassi. The truth is they play very differently. Agassi is an agressive baseliner, while Nole plays half offensive/defensive game. Novak doesn't blast people off the court like Andre does. He beat people with consistency and counterpunching speed. In fact, Novak is probably more like Hewitt 2.0.

Great point.

I agree completely!

slice bh compliment
12-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Great atmosphere in that stadium that night. I was fortunate enough to be calling lines during that tournament.

Cool! I was there, too! I was a full-time coach/club pro back then...went that night with a big group ...I was in Houston, TX for the USPTA competitive player workshop with Luis Medeiro, Nick B, Dougie Spreen, et al. Great atmosphere. Remember the match point!? That was awesome.

Boricua
12-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Wasn't young Agassi ('88 to early 90s) known for his speed and movement? I do think that Agassi didn't move nearly as well towards the end of his career, though.

The bulking up gave him more strength but a bit less movement maybe.

Bobby Jr
12-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Agassi would be a strong contender at both the AO and USO. He had the game to hang with Federer, Djokovic, and Nadal. 6 HC slams. enough said.
I think it's only fair to add the caveat that if Federer supposedly won his slams against a weak field then Agassi picked up two of his Australian Opens after his serious contemporaries were past their prime on hard courts.

You only have to look at his 2003 title to see he had the GCDOAT (greatest cakewalk draw of all time).

NamRanger
12-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Against Federer he would be a handful for Federer on hard courts, and definitely win some matches. Even peak Federer was almost losing to grandpa Agassi often on had courts. On clay or grass Federer would be favored.

Against Nadal he would probably have a winning record on hard courts, but Nadal would be competitive and win his share too. On clay Nadal would crush Agassi. On grass I am not sure.

Agassi plays too many balls into Federer's wheel house; Federer would win the majority of the matches played by far, although Agassi would get a few wins. The only times that were close were the USO 2005, the USO 2004 (which really was predominantly due to almost hurricane like conditions), and the YEC which was the closest the two were in terms of overall level of play. The 5 other times were total domination by Federer.

Nadal actually would beat Agassi ALOT more on hardcourts than you think. The problem is Agassi is so one dimensional off the baseline that he would have alot of trouble ending points against Nadal. That would invariably lead to frustration, as even the more tactically aware Agassi could get impatient. Remember, 2005 Nadal who is not that good on HCs still beat a veteran Agassi in the Montreal final quite handily in 3 sets.

If Djokovic played at his highest level, Agassi would find it very tough to win matches on clay and slower hardcourts where Djokovic's speed would frustrate Agassi. His movement is simply too much for Agassi to handle, along with the fact that Djokovic also can handle Agassi stroke for stroke off the ground.

The problem Agassi faces is that even at his best his movement is just simply not as good as these guys, and the top 3 at least can match Agassi stroke for stroke off the ground. I think his best chances would be against Murray, but even then I can see some match-up problems.

tennis_pro
12-08-2011, 12:45 PM

What:-?? I wouldn't call a 0-8 deficit in the h2h as "almost winning often", Agassi was never in a winning position against Federer after 2003, he needed another full set to beat him

subban
12-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Agassi never gave Federer trouble when they played at the US Open in '05 or ever. Federer evey might have given him games as to not show him up. Class players do that so as not to embarass a goat like Agassi.

Sid_Vicious
12-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Agassi never gave Federer trouble when they played at the US Open in '05 or ever. Federer evey might have given him games as to not show him up. Class players do that so as not to embarass a goat like Agassi.

Are you being serious? Agassi was outhitting Federer for a set and a half at the 2005 USO at the age of 35.

Federer is a better player than Agassi and I would expect him to win majority of matches if they played in their primes. However, it is silly to say that he would not be able to win games without Federer gifting it to him.

Agassi owned Federer in his early years. Federer got lots of straight set beatdowns by Agassi.

zagor
12-08-2011, 02:47 PM

LOL! Was that dropshot at 5-0 in the 4th when Andre was obviously hurting classy as well?

Fed wanted to win as easily and quickly as possible but Agassi put up a fight. Fed shows no mercy on court, none of them (pros) does and they shouldn't, they're not some weekend warriors/local club players, it's their job and in most cases life even(atleast until they retire).

Agassi-Fan
12-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Huge flat hitters have always given players trouble.

Rafa won't like andre's low flat ball.

Novak will hang with Agassi for a while, but I think will eventully falter after he runs side to side for 3 hours.

Fed is Fed and will always be dominate.