PDA

View Full Version : Sampras or Agassi; which one would stand up better against today's Big Three?

passive_aggressive
12-08-2011, 05:29 AM
No way we're including Murray in this discussion.

Would Sampras or Agassi better be able to withstand the behemoths of the modern game?

Individual match-up analysis is welcome.

Devilito
12-08-2011, 08:23 AM
So why not post your own opinion to start it off instead of making other posters do all the legwork.

zagor
12-08-2011, 11:44 AM

Would Sampras or Agassi better be able to withstand the behemoths of the modern game?

They both would have had a losing H2H against Murray.

SirGounder
12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I think they would far pretty darn well.

Agassi-Fan
12-08-2011, 04:26 PM
I like Sampras' serve but I don't think his groundstrokes are good enough to hang with the big guys anymore.

Agassi's game has more of an all around feeling that is more compatible with the top players of today.

RF20Lennon
12-08-2011, 04:30 PM
I like Sampras' serve but I don't think his groundstrokes are good enough to hang with the big guys anymore.

Agassi's game has more of an all around feeling that is more compatible with the top players of today.

True he wouldnt be able to hang around big hitters like joker and nadals topspin would give loads of problems outside grass and indoor. And feds overall game would hurt him. but sampras serve is killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeeD
12-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Sampras had a better chance of beating the modern top players.
Agassi had a better chance of being competitive with the modern top players.
Very different.

Legend of Borg
12-08-2011, 04:41 PM

I'm not doing jack ****.

If you're interested, do your own analysis.

passive_aggressive
12-09-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm not doing jack ****.

^This^

Great post!! Fantastic post!!!!

BrooklynNY
12-09-2011, 10:07 AM
The guy with more lethal weapons.

Which is pretty obvious, right?

aphex
12-09-2011, 10:16 AM
AO:

Sampras<Djokovic
Sampras>Nadal
Sampras<Federer

Agassi=Djokovic
Agassi>Nadal
Agassi<Federer

FO:

Sampras<Djokovic
Sampras<Nadal
Sampras<Federer

Agassi=Djokovic
Agassi<Nadal
Agassi<Federer

W:

Sampras>Djokovic
Sampras>Nadal
Sampras=Federer

Agassi>Djokovic
Agassi=Nadal
Agassi<Federer

USO:

Sampras>Djokovic
Sampras>Nadal
Sampras<Federer

Agassi=Djokovic
Agassi>Nadal
Agassi<Federer

nadalwon2012
12-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Agassi was not good at playing Nadal in the past, so he definitely wouldn't beat 2009-2011 Nadal. Unless younger Agassi was radically better than older Agassi.

TheFifthSet
12-09-2011, 03:21 PM
AO:

Sampras<Djokovic
Sampras>Nadal
Sampras<Federer

Agassi=Djokovic
Agassi>Nadal
Agassi<Federer

FO:

Sampras<Djokovic
Sampras<Nadal
Sampras<Federer

Agassi=Djokovic
Agassi<Nadal
Agassi<Federer

W:

Sampras>Djokovic
Sampras>Nadal
Sampras=Federer

Agassi>Djokovic
Agassi=Nadal
Agassi<Federer

USO:

Sampras>Djokovic
Sampras>Nadal
Sampras<Federer

Agassi=Djokovic
Agassi>Nadal
Agassi<Federer

Mostly agreed, but to say Agassi would matchup favourably on paper against this Djokovic at the slams (3 ties and 1 in favour of Agassi) is a tad fallacious imo. Djokovic at his best just has a more complete game than Agassi had. As good as Agassi was, I'd don't think he could have gone 10-1 against Fedal in a year. However, Agassi is clearly the superior historical player in terms of accomplishments.

droliver
12-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Agassi much more competitive then Sampras against these 3 on hard and clay as I don't see Pete being able to grind out points or outhit them consistently. That being said, even Agassi's coaches (Gilbert & Cahill) don't think he would have matched up well with these guys head to head.

Sampras gets a slight nod against anyone on grass until proven otherwise, but it would be interesting to see how Rafa & Novak handle him on contemporary grass (which is a much better and fairer surface then before for play). There's no one who really play's kill-shot tennis on grass as before to get an idea of how exposed you are when the returner frequently gets a good look at the ball and drags you into a baseline rally on any 2nd serve.

watungga
12-09-2011, 03:52 PM
It is unfair to compare players of different court generations. So I would prefer doing a "home vs visitor" type of comparisons.

Circa 1990s courts: Sampras > Agassi > Federer > Nadal > Djokovic

Todays' courts: Federer > Agassi > Sampras/Nadal/Djokovic

MichaelNadal
12-09-2011, 04:39 PM
I do think with the slowing of the courts and strong baseline based game, Agassi would do better. As said above though, bring them to 90's courts and it would be like facing Freddy while you sleep.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/deano7879/freddy%20gifs/fredpwnsyou.gif

NadalAgassi
12-09-2011, 05:04 PM
The Australian Open Djokovic in top form is the strongest of all 5 IMO. Federer and Agassi have more titles but Djokovic could easily end up with atleast as many, and regardless his 2008 and 2011 level of play is the highest. All 3 are quite close though. Sampras and Nadal are a small notch behind.

The French Open Nadal dominates everyone of course.

Wimbledon Sampras would be the top dog on old 90s grass. Definitely the best true grass courter of all 5. On todays grass Sampras, Federer, and a top form Nadal would all be fairly close. Hard to say how strong Agassi would be on todays grass but he could be great on it.

U.S Open Federer and Sampras would be the favorites if all 5 were at their best.

Tennis_Monk
12-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Neither of them would do any better against today's big three in the current conditions. if Sampras and Agassi grew up in current era, it is a different thing.

Yep, may be sampras wins an extra set or two on grass courts while Agassi gets his share on slower courts. Bottom line is , they arent gonna win anyways, atleast not consistently enough to talk about Grandslams. Sure , they both can win a Master here and a 500 there.

Seth
12-09-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm not doing jack ****.

Haha! I am rolling.

adamX012
12-09-2011, 08:21 PM

Me too. He is cool and awesome. If I could play like him, I would be the one on TV. Just saying, not a big ideal at all.

nousername
12-09-2011, 08:49 PM
It is unfair to compare players of different court generations. So I would prefer doing a "home vs visitor" type of comparisons.

Circa 1990s courts: Sampras > Agassi > Federer > Nadal > Djokovic

Todays' courts: Federer > Agassi > Sampras/Nadal/Djokovic
this is a good way to look at it.

although, i think Fed is basically a smarter clone of Sampras. I think both were equally gifted, but Fed had more a drive to compete and adapt. Fed in his early days proved he could S&V with sampras on grass, and today has proved he can battle with Nadal on clay (and his S&V game is nearly non-existent). that versatility is matched by no one else. fed is so good i don't like him, never have, and never will. but, back on point, i would rank them as:

Circa 1990s courts: Federer > Sampras > Agassi > Nadal > Djokovic

Todays' courts: Federer > Agassi > Nadal/Djokovic >?? ==?? Sampras

I don't think Sampras could adapt his 90's game to today's courts. It might be different if we speculated what his game would be like had he grown up playing on today's courts. he probably would then be higher in my rankings "Today's court" rankings, but still lower than Fed due to less diversity and adaptability in his game.

helloworld
12-10-2011, 02:42 AM
this is a good way to look at it.

although, i think Fed is basically a smarter clone of Sampras. I think both were equally gifted, but Fed had more a drive to compete and adapt. Fed in his early days proved he could S&V with sampras on grass, and today has proved he can battle with Nadal on clay (and his S&V game is nearly non-existent). that versatility is matched by no one else. fed is so good i don't like him, never have, and never will. but, back on point, i would rank them as:

Circa 1990s courts: Federer > Sampras > Agassi > Nadal > Djokovic

Todays' courts: Federer > Agassi > Nadal/Djokovic >?? ==?? Sampras

I don't think Sampras could adapt his 90's game to today's courts. It might be different if we speculated what his game would be like had he grown up playing on today's courts. he probably would then be higher in my rankings "Today's court" rankings, but still lower than Fed due to less diversity and adaptability in his game.

Federer is no Sampras clone. Federer's serve isn't anywhere close to Sampras. Federer's volleys, while above average, is nowhere close to Sampras. Overall, Federer is nothing like a clone of Sampras.